Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Tuesdays Blogging - Joe and Cari's Wedding Gifts

Good morning. We’re going to try this again. We just lost 3 paragraphs because the computer freezed-up. We said something about not writing since Friday. It’s now the next Tuesday. It’s about 8:45. Rich got in about 15 minutes ago. We’re both at work. I did the regular things I do in the morning. Sr. Theresa just came in and I guess I will be doing the group outside for 15 minutes at lunch time. That’s not too bad – could be worse. Holly will have the inside group – just a few stragglers and then be able to catch phone or door. Sr. says she’s going to be out all day.

I think that Sr. Marcella is taking courses in Italy for like the next 3 months. That was nice for her, but I think Sr. Theresa then has to mess with other sisters coming in at night time to stay with her and eat and do worship service. I don’t know yet what kind of strain this is for each of the parties involved. I didn’t ask what sister was going to be doing today, but there is no problem with her being gone for the day.

Most of the time this last weekend has gone to the new quilting blog located at:

QuiltingMooses.blogspot.com

These are a couple of the recent pictures



We’ve read about 450 blogs – or at least glanced at some and read others. That’s about 11% done … quite a few left to go … I have to believe number is about right, but there sure is a lot more to be reading. I’m not sure if the 11% is accurate.

It would depend … not sure maybe I better count again. Hmm, pretty close actual number is 462/4042 = 11.4% complete. Hey that’s not real bad! I was really grateful that I had saved the blogs that we’d read, because inadvertently when we switched the blog name, we erased our links to the blogs we’d picked out as the top ones. It made backtracking a lot easier last night. I was so relieved not to have to start from scratch. It’s a lot of hard work doing that kind of reading.


It’s enjoyable, but still a task.



I’m pretty sure that was the only thing affected. The first picture shows a lot of the changes that went through after the first run. Yesterday I’d started working on another change for the title part, but we aren’t sure that Emily wants to be an honorary sister … we’d like to include her in the blog so she can look at it and/or contribute when she wants. She’s not really into though social stuff on the computer. She says she does enough computer stuff at work and she doesn’t want accounts that her invasive relatives could get to. So we were thinking this might work … in that if she did go on-line, she’d have a place that she could be at without her relatives looking in on her. It has a name they couldn’t relate to her. I would really like her to be a part of the whole deal. She’s just so nice and she’s as interested in the quilting as CS and us. There’s quite a few of us actually.

Most of the people in the Quilting Blogs are into the activity as a big part of their lives. It’s kind of cool like walking into an artists’ colony. I think if Emily could do it it would make her feel less lonely or isolated. We’ll see … we’ll be talking to her in a few days at the International Quilt show here in Chicago over the weekend.

We talked to CS yesterday. Emily had given the two of us a couple of books and I left them with CS because I don’t have much time for reading. CS got into one, and now is half-way through the second although she said she wasn’t going to read the second until she got some quilt work done. *sigh*

Who am I to talk about not getting work done … just better not go down that avenue.
There was also a side trip Sunday. Rich had gone to get Bud’s son’s trailer to move a used riding lawn mower to Chris and then he picked up some furniture there for Jon and then he picked up me for the ride. It was a couple hours down and a couple back. We dropped off the trailer at Rich’s Mom’s and shared some pie with them, and then didn’t get home until about 9:00 pm. I fell asleep on the way back. I’d stayed up Saturday night until 4 am and then only slept for 3 hours so I was pretty beat. I’m sure grateful for Rich being able to drive long distances safely. While we were at Rich’s son’s we had a lunch/dinner. He was just getting up and most likely was going back to bed, but he took us to a Thai place that ended up being really good. It was a nice general talk – not too detailed. Jon seemed pretty tired and I don’t think he talks excessively. It was just nice.

Yesterday and today I’ve been at work. Not doing much obviously. CARF is coming and it doesn’t seem to matter. Rich has helped with a few things. I’m grateful for that and I know I really have to do a few things for sure, just can’t seem to do it. I’ve done this before so it is not unlike me, but it’s hard to grapple with just the same. But, with that we’re leaving it again … because it’s too much. I will try to think about it again in an hour or so. Maybe that would work. That’s right we were going to try working ourselves toward that direction. Now that both Sister and Rich are gone for the day – Rich left and isn’t expected to get back until about 3 pm – it’s going to be that much harder, but who knows maybe I can get in some free work time without too much stress. I think it’s time that we cleared the desk again and get some work done for the Qnotes. I had another goal too where we were going to write out the goals and objective sheets for all the clients. If I’m short on CARF I can at least say I’m good on the files. I’ve got to send out another letter to for people who are behind in things in their files. I suppose that will be the goal then. I don’t know if I could get all the way done with this in the next three days, but it be a whole lot nicer getting to next week. Again Friday is the quilt show.

I would like to leave open the possibility that if the quilt show was really good I could go back over the weekend. CS is lending me her walker/chair so that should help in that direction. We’ll have to see … if I can’t take pictures it will take away from part of that experience and I think there is just so much you can handle taking in on its own. Maybe I should make a few other goals like collection brochures or business cards. I would like to study the whole phenomenon on quilting as best I can. I just don’t know how much I can handle or at what cost.

It costs $10 a day or $25 for the three days. Plus there is going to be parking and eating and you just know you are going to want to buy something. It be hard not to, but I might have to go that route.

That reminds me … we really had a nice moment this morning. We were getting a $20 out of our envelope. It looks like we have $100 in there, but its suppose to last the rest of the month. BUT, there was a big check on Rich’s dresser, so we out of habit looked at the amount. It was for $500 … Wow! Nice! And then we looked over to who it was for and it was for me!!! I couldn’t believe it! It turned out to be more compensation back from our insurance company for that accident that Nathan fixed for us after we’d gotten an estimate. Apparently the other guy had paid out for the deductable. I thought the matter was over because the cost was like $700 something and State Farm had paid the $200 something off the top, but now we got the bottom and I hadn’t even expected it, because we never went get it fixed officially. Nathan said it had a memory something kind of material so he just heated it up a bit and smoothed it out. Wow! That was quite the deal.

I told Rich on the way out that he should have talked to me about it, but he said he was going to and that he wouldn’t have spent it on bills, but that it should go somewhere special … and then we realized what he was saying and that I’d been talking of getting Thom a birthday present and Joe a wedding shower gift and a wedding gift. AND, now here all that was possible! I was just so excited!

Oh man oh man … just been over at Target. I can hardly wait until Rich gets the check in the bank! I’ve spent $362 plus there will be tax and most likely delivery. There most expensive items were a new flat screen TV, a playstation entertainment center and a digital reader all between $2-400 each. We decided to give him the NEXT most expensive gift and then add some other stuff to go with it.

I hope we can get it before someone else does. I decided to go with a camping theme. Basically he has some real nice outdoors or tools things and I want to encourage them getting out of the house. I know that Joe faithfully goes on the Nero Adventures, and I’m thinking if it were more convenient then Cari would go too. So we’re shooting in that direction. I’m going to make a collage of all the things we are going to get if our luck holds out.  This is so much fun.

I also called CS and told her that I’d talked to Joe and told him I felt very left out and that I was upset about my sister not being invited and that it was not well thought out to surround me with Garvey’s and their friends and family without someone to keep me company. He apologized saying that he hadn’t thought CS would come down all the way from WI for the bridal shower. He did ask then if I could send her address so he could make sure to send her a wedding invitation. I thought that was fair so I let CS know. She seemed ok with that, but it made me feel uncomfortable to tell her my son hadn’t included her, but then he barely included me … so I felt justified in telling him that I wouldn’t go to the shower. I did call him back after the second time and I talked to him saying that I was frustrated for several things about my boys, not all of which included him. I had been frustrated with Maury’s separation, saying that it would be most likely a long while until I met his girlfriend although my granddaughters loved her and didn’t mind the extra discipline she was adding and that Maury was grateful for the discipline Jacki placed because it was what made him a better person. That was so highly distasteful … still having my problems with it.

But … the money discovered this morning made me feel a whole lot better. I’m still going to put aside OTHER money, because pretty much all of this $500 is spent.

$100 will be for Thom and the other $400 will be for Joe and Cari. I know at first I thought I’d save it for the wedding – at least $300 of it, but now I would like to spend $400 now on the bridal shower and then still save up the money for the wedding. If I could save a couple hundred dollars during April, June and July I might have another $5-600 to save for the wedding, plus I will hopefully by then have the quilt done. So … are you ready to hear my gift ideas? Ok, ok cool … let me work up a picture!