Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Saturday - until we gave up the ship

Good morning – this is me. We must be running on the little-bit wired side because we are sitting here very ready for someone to come in and help. It’s not a great thing to ask people, because you just gotta figure if its hard for you its going to be harder for them. It’s not even THEIR stuff needs to get moved.

I would like to say in my behalf that anything that could be done ahead of time got done. Let me see now …

Coffee table, chairs and drafting table moved out of the way in living room

Floor vacuumed

Kitty scratching post to bathroom

Bedroom shelves taken down and boxed and shelves broken down and stored

Floor would have been vacuumed, but she started smoking AND smelling … we’re
thinking the belt slipped, but I couldn’t figure out how to open it … so maybe Bob can help

Both china cabinets moved out of the moving path

Kitty food moved to cooking area of kitchen WITH dishwasher

Sewing machine and table got moved to an emptied closet

Back sewing closet took on all the sewing collected plus suitcases from emptied closet

Drawers got pulled out of dresser and stored in back of bed in bedroom

Bed sheets and blankets and pillows taken off and bagged

Shelves emptied from bookcase in kitchen

Kitchen re-arranged to take on loose stuff and coat rack and Maury’s TV, amplifier, speakers, etc.

And, then showered and dressed this morning … waiting, waiting…

See see … so I’m no shluff!

I called Bob about 20 minutes ago, but he’s just up to the point of making breakfast for Marcia and his daughter Christina. I have to be more patient, but in that process I also called Maury again to see if he could come before noon so he could be here helping at the same time Bob is here. OTHERWISE … Bob thinks its fine that I help, so I just made sure he knew I need to take breaks between hard stuff, because my back hurts and then needs 10 -15 minutes rest. It’ll be ok. It will be worth it to get all in place before Rich comes back on Sunday. I think the hard part is that we’re going to live with the bed, TV and such in the kitchen until Maury can move it, BUT that no longer slows down our process of moving around in the sewing room. I’m pretty sure that Rich is going to think that’s terrible, but … I don’t know what to do because anything that’s a change is terrible to Rich.

I’m pretty sure that Bob’s already called him to update Rich on what’s happening.

Bob works very hard at not being the middle-man, but that usually means that anything I could say or ask of him gets pretty immediately reported to Rich.

That’s why the top of my list included … can I talk to Bob and ask for help? He begrudgingly did it after a fashion, but his fuse is short until it sinks in and he can process it.

I’m not sure what Bob thought of my list … he said I could leave it in his garage and he’d pick it up when he got in last night. He’d thought at first of stopping over, but there wasn’t enough time because for the second time this week, he got caught in traffic coming home from the lake with his daughter and Marcia. Wow! He sure does seem to be taking good care of them!

Rich called last night. I was happy to hear from him, but I didn’t want to say anything of the changes, because that gets him unnecessarily frustrated. To be fair, he didn’t ask anything about how I was doing or what I was doing. I don’t necessarily think Rich is self-centered, but in the case of his fishing THAT’S a self-centered subject. Sometimes I have to tease Rich a little to bring him back to task. Like, did you wonder what your sweetie has been doing?” Then he says, yes, of course, why don’t you just say it. Then we say something like … we were just waiting for you to be interested. I know he tries hard, but something’s are a little harder for him. Again … when it comes to fishing … he’s off in a fishy-cloud.

And … eh, I be like a regular woman … I’ve got my plotting ways.

It’s kind of nice that Bob didn’t jump on things right away, because I really have some nice time to appreciate the quiet before the storm and I can appreciate the good work that’s been done. Last night we were going from space to space checking things out to make sure I’d carried them to their furthest point. I had TVs going in all the south rooms … so that the TVs in the living room and both bedrooms were all going. I probably couldn’t get by with that kind of activity if Rich were home. He’d be talking about saving energy or what not. Not that I have missed that life’s lesson … Just we were that much flowing from room to room. It kept us motivated, because we were less likely to sit down to really see what was going on.

Hehehe we were watching different channels in each room as well, so we were having an interesting experience with that. After things get settled, we’re hoping that Maury comes back to do both our converter boxes for the back rooms. Rich made the mistake this week of saying we don’t really need the TV in the bedroom, because we hardly ever watch it, but to me life is about options … we don’t need to do anything with that space. I think he’s fighting a situation in his head. Sometime this last week we went into the bedroom because we were having terrible gas, but then he didn’t like that I was in there because I wasn’t with him, so then next thing I know he wants to get rid of the TV. Man … that just isn’t going to happen!

Pswhoo. It’s later now. It’s about 10:45 am. Bob was over a while ago and he moved the dresser, TV, speakers, small fridge, and bookcase – not meaning to pun here, but he was “casing-out” the joint. He just moved the lightest of stuff. He should stop back here again maybe in the next hour. He had a shower he had to leave for at noon. I think he had to stop by at Target, but was expected to meet Marcia and his daughter at home and then they were going to progress to Christina’s baby shower. I don’t know if he’ll be too dressed up to really do it before he goes, but we can hope in that direction. It would help me A LOT with organization, because I’d have stuff to work on tonight. Otherwise it gets crowded to tomorrow when I would want a lighter day and it to be ready for when Rich comes home.

I KNOW he’s going to grumble, but I just don’t know how to get around it.

We talked to Dr. Marvin a bit about Rich the last time we were in. A good portion went to CARF, but at some point, I really begged off. Basically, the Rich part was in doing all the changes and hoping that he could cope with me being in a different room. It’s been going on for a long time where he seems to get upset when we leave the room. We’ve talked naturally about it. Rich sort of feels that it is great when I can keep myself pleasantly occupied when he goes, but when he gets back he wants undivided attention.

I love giving Rich massages, but it seems to be getting too much. He wants long ones on a daily basis. Basically, if he isn’t doing something directly with his hands … he wants massages. But, sometimes there are other things I want to be doing. Even if I’M just sitting staring at the TV, it doesn’t mean I want to massage. Sometimes I’m just tired. I didn’t think I’d ever say that. But, here it is.

Hmm, I wonder where Missy and Chief are. I think they are hiding pretty well.

They don’t like it when the house moves around – and for a bit of time their bathroom door was shut. I’m pretty sure they are under one of the two beds, but we were moving around things from both rooms - poor kitties.

Hmm, now it’s awhile later. It’s about 12:15 pm. I’m not sure all of what happens, but I know that something whatever included a bit of a nap. The kitties came out and have been moving around, but they have been more unsettled than settled. They kind of go in and out of the furniture and pull-up here and there.

I’m a little unsettled myself … one because I was so tired I fell asleep in the middle of the afternoon, but too because things had been going well, but now it’s past noon and I know that Bob can’t come back … question would be if he’ll be back all day. He has the shower and probably then there will be dinner and he will have to be getting back home. He did say he had nothing planned tomorrow, but he’s still got Marcia over and I’m not sure if he’ll have more time with his daughter and all that might be. Feeling a little neglected now. I had hoped he was going to come back before the shower.

I’m in the middle of a house that’s all turned topsy-turvy. I can’t get to over half my kitchen, the living room and bedrooms are all torn up too. There’s stuff on both beds and the couches don’t have any cushions on them. The sewing machines and drafting table are also out of commission by proxy of space accommodations. I did not cover up my computer here though and I still have access to my one spot of the seven couch spots. I took off the carton to one of the tables – the one that made it upstairs – the smaller one and I took the empty carton downstairs. Good me! See I can do something.

I also went in the bedroom and put stuff away from the shelve we took down there.

There’s 9 drawers on the dresser and I was able to use just the 3 smaller ones in the middle. I could probably go back and do some more work in the bedroom. I did put some of Rich’s papers that were out in his file cabinet. I just lifted and then carefully PLACED them in the drawer. I’m going to hear though how I’ve messed up his entire system. Ok, like that’s not real Rich. My thoughts were to put his fishy stuff and other that was on the old shelves in the middle third, then he’d get a third for his needs, and then I’d get a third for my needs. The nice part of me was saying I’ll let you pick out which 1/3 you want from the outside two.

But, now I’m thinking maybe I should just claim a 1/3 and get myself moved around … And, then he can use the extra space from me leaving only some of my stuff in the stand-up dresser. I would also like to clear up some of those extra blankets and pillows built up in the corner. I had avoided it mostly because not only was it hard, but it was going to use up some of my energy for doing other things that had to get moved. Bob said when he comes back he’ll bring his 2-wheeler for the more difficult pieces he left. I know reasonably then there’s not too much for me to be doing.

I’m thinking though that the original plan had Maury coming back at about 1-2 pm. If that were the case, we’d only have to wait ½ an hour and then maybe he could help some stuff being moved. I think he was going to give me up to an hour. Some of his stuff is already moved, so maybe I can get some of that stuff back. I don’t know if he could move the couches – well, I’m sure he could, but if he’d want to.

I’d like to get that last table up because it’s sitting in the middle of the entryway downstairs. If we could get the tables up, I’d be just that much happier, but it makes sense to do the couches first. After we took the cushions off they weren’t so heavy, but they are heavy enough and very awkward.

*Sigh* Should I then go in and take another look at the bedroom? I’d be much happier if I could go in there and it would actually look nicer. There’s a lot of furniture in there now. There’s a 5 foot dresser, a stand-up one, an old fashioned mirrored one and a desk cabinet for holding the big TV. The bed takes up any remaining space in the room, but there’s also a chair in there that floats in the way of everything. It really isn’t the dressers fault. I was able to keep just a few decorative pieces on top that weren’t fitting elsewhere – so it looks good enough, but it’s been painted blue and looks more like a kids’ dresser. Everything else in the room is some variation of brown. Ok, ok … nuf complaining. At least most the stuff I don’t want to be looking at is INSIDE the drawers. That’s a good idea, right?

Maybe I should take another look. I’m a little thinking that the blankets really have to get moved, but they are going to take up valuable space taken up by other stuff in the closet. I don’t really want to put it on top of my sewing stuff waiting there for shelves to be built, because it will be then harder later to access. I had done such a good job of cleaning the closet back when Maury was coming in, but half is pretty full again AND the other half is taking up space with the sewing machine table.

Ok, maybe we better look around. Just in case we can figure out something else to improve things.

Ok, maybe that isn’t going to work out. I can’t get over there and really do anything with anything, but I at least progressed the thoughts. I would like to try putting some of that stuff in those airless bags we’d gotten way back whenever. I won’t be able to use the vacuum cleaner even if I could figure that out, because Bob didn’t have time to look at the vacuum. Big thing though is that they are hard to get to with the couch in the sewing room where it is presently, and then there would be no place to place the bags until after I removed the trays under the bed – they are going under the sewing tables. There’s another project too that maybe I can work on later tonight. It’s the one of getting rid of some junk in the open desk holding the TV in the bedroom. Looking at it just by staring … it seemed pretty yuck. That will be a good job to sit down with later … hmm, I wonder if Maury could fix the conversion boxes while he’s here … last time he said it should only take a couple of moments.

Sure be a lot nicer in the rooms back there if I could be watching a gazillion TV channels. None seem really what I want right now though. I muted the TV and will turn on some music. Ahh that sounds good. We’re going to listen to Corinne Bailey Rae for a while. Looking at the bedroom stuff was scary. Maybe after we figure if Maury is coming or not. Sometimes he runs late. Not sure all what he’s got on his plate. He told me, but we forgot most of it … just know he’s running busy. He’s running his household from his girlfriend’s place. I probably said it before but he’s got the girls staying over there on his days with them. I’m sure that’s got to be confusing, but it’s not my business so I’m backing out. Can’t say I like it though. Just doesn’t seem right. It’s only been 3-4 months of knowing her. Ok, shhh…

I’m trying to think if the bed and fireplace mantel were up and the couches were changed, then what would I be doing in there. I know that my tables would have space, but not much can be done before the shelves go up. The primary goal there was to get paint for the particle board. Bob wasn’t here long enough to ask those questions as to what I should get. I wonder if Maury would know. I could ask people at the hardware store, but I’m absolutely sure this is the worst time of the week to go. Maybe we could do that around dinner time? It would be a good project tomorrow to be painting the boards. I’m not sure if there is much kitchen space left and we’d have to leave the windows open. It’s been kind of rainy all day … not a lot, but enough to know it wouldn’t make sense to be working outside even if there were a chair or a place to keep the boards.

I suppose if it weren’t raining, I could leave them up besides the building, but I’m not so sure that’s a kosher thing the building would like to see. After Maury gets here or Bob to move the bed and TV, there just isn’t going to be a lot of kitchen space left. Ahh if it weren’t one thing it would be another. Maybe it’s just a day for writing? Not so sure I’ve done this very much … but maybe … it’s been one of the things happening at work, but I refuse that space into my brain right now.

Hmm, just seems there must be some impending thing that I’m supposed to be doing.

Close as I can get it’s the painting. Just be patient, right? I suppose it be bad Mom-taste to call and see if Maury is going to be making it. I feel kind of in a reading mood … I wonder … didn’t we get some magazines in? Wouldn’t that be nice for a little bit … Maybe take me off some stress. I don’t remember if we took our medicine this morning. I’m not sure if that’s my stress or just that there is so much going on and I’m not much in control of that which I can’t do on my own. Damn I hate that when it happens. Ok, now where would I have put magazines?