Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Friday, July 24, 2009

Ok, and then We're goin fishin!

Good morning this is me. I'm not sure how much time I really have to work on the writing, because there is some stuff that I'm supposed to be doing, but I need some time for myself too. Shoot ... it's already 8 am and now I'm realizing too that I haven't taken my medicine. Shoot, shoot.

Ok, let's not get excited. I still want to write a few minutes. Not sure what ... I'd like to avoid this think hanging over my head for the last two days in working with some very nasty - one in particular state workers. Maybe I can say something now and get it out of my mind finally? I don't know. I didn't get to explain to Rich what happened last night in addition to the night before, but I did get to talk to Dr. Marvin.

We had to laugh ... I considered his words of wisdom pretty close to basic kindergarten rule about being nice to others. This woman - Denise wasn't nice to start with, in the middle, or to the end. I don't think I can pin fair enough to myself all of her nastiness, but she started off by yelling something about throughing this family out on the streets ... yeah you can imagine where that kinda thing is going.

She acted like a very immature ugly female in that she started the dialogue by attacking, and then attacking and then attacking, and she wouldn't consider the whole picture ... she divided the family from us as if we were terrible with never checking out the facts ... She was accusatory and tried to say that we didn't know what we were doing in recording for this person although we'd been charting her progress for the majority of 8 years. She attacked our heart, our motives and our integrity. She made up her mind to start and again never checked out anything including having read the letter the family received.

This situation took place over many arenas. I had tried to call the state - the person I usually deal with for this client, she didn't return my calls and she didn't return them later when I again left a message. Since she works so closely with her supervisor I called the supervisor to ask if she'd been gone and if I could talk to her. She gave me about 2 minutes before she started tearing into me. She was saying that she had gotten a call from the family 20 minutes before and she had by chance talked to Kathy about this in the morning. After that about 20-30 minutes the brother of the client called - where before it had been the mother speaking Spanish to the secretary, he had said that he had talked twice to Kathy and he'd talked to this Supervisor Denise and that those two were coming to their house that night.

We felt very angry in all that time not only because of dividing the family from our care, but that they had not returned a call that morning, that afternoon when left messages or after the family had called them. They are painting themselves to be advocates, but they weren't helping the family by burning us. She was insulting to the max. I got angry at Kathy then when she did call she called during my Thursday meeting and she had started to try what her boss had done ... about how disappointed she was in us and some other such bullcrap, but I cut her off because I was in a meeting and had 15 minutes left. So I finished the meeting and its minutes, and then i called her back.

I think it was fair to say we were having it out. Afterword I went up to tell sister what was going on, and Kathy had gone to her supervisory. Eventually it became a four person call and after saying just a few words - controlled - The bitch told me she didn't like my attitude and went into this pitiful poor me routine of how she was being abused and I was like looking up at sister who had heard the whole thing and I held up my hands like ... what the fuck! Sister shook her head in disgust of the call, but quietly waved me down ... and then switched the subject. It didn't take too long before the woman tried to come off to Sr. about protecting her from this thug ... ME! Oh man I was so disgusted.

Then at the end sister asked her if we were going to try meeting with the client - because Kathy and I'd set it up for Monday if the family were available. The bitchy one yelled well that's if they want to deal with you at all. They might not want to come back ... my point was that if they chose not to come back that would be one thing, but they should still have an exit interview. Kathy was the one who had pushed this with another client. But, the lady had her head so far up her ass she couldn't see right from squat.

I don't think I've ever used this much anger while writing as far as crudeness, but it's the only way I can think of describing her. She shouldn't ever be allowed near people and people services. She's done this family no justice. And, then to the bottom line with the family? We've been trying to work with them and had had a meeting on June 10th and per the recommendations of the psychologist that works with us in behavior management, the family needed to take the daughter to see a psychiatrist. This had been suggested on her regular psychological report and it had been recommended by the weak and feeble Kathy at the meeting and in her visiting note.

The family has been in denial for a long time about their daughter. We'd worked I though very well at the staff meeting and things at that time were progressing forward. They had next signed the annual meeting and they'd received the new updates explaining their role to get the daughter in ... the mother then called and said she changed her mind, and then over the next two days her daughter attacked her peers three more times. She'd had incident reports written 16 times in the year ... by far the max of any of our clients and 11 of them had been in the last 3-4 months. We were starting to get serious complaints from the other families whose family members were getting attacked.

But, the family wanted to say these things didn't happen at home so they weren't obvious real. EVEN though they'd stated before during the meeting and the psychological report that she was aggressive. The state took the view point that we'd had her for 8 years that we should have worked her past these problems as if the girl didn't have internal problems. We'd worked hard with her for a long time and had worked her outbursts from being 45 minutes or longer to just 5 or at max 7 minutes. But, this part of her attacking others was up ... a lot since she'd had pneumonia in March. The psychologist listed her adaptability as severe and profound. She's got a 1.4 age level as to social skills. At odd times she would just get up and attack and at other times she responded poorly to others crying in the room. One way or another ... it was a situation of danger to herself and others.

We sent with the note explaining our position as to her not coming back until after seeing the psychiatrist, getting a medicine evaluation and getting a behavior plan. We thought our goal of tolerance was on track, but if the state was going to insist ... then that would be our line in the sand. We assured the family this wasn't asking them to leave ... and even if we did they'd have 10 days time before we could do that. But, obviously the state played with this to act out their importance although not listening to one of the two partie was doing the family no favor. They treated our center as if we were monsters.

Naturally, we would talk to Dr. Marvin about this. He sided on the side of St. Rose. He said that it would be irresponsible of us in protecting everyone at the center to let this kind of behavior go unchecked. He understood following the request of the psychologist to be getting a psych eval. When the family refused then that put us in a position of having to push harder. Its for the sake of the girl and the others in that room that she receives help. The family wanted to say that we just wanted to get rid of her. I was insulted ... you just can't do that kind of work with a person over so many years and be blankly shot down like that. I told them look through the papers that we'd sent and try to appreciate all the good that had come out of our relationship with her and with how many things we'd been doing with her.

Ok, ok ... moving on ... I didn't get a hold of sister, but I left my message with Rosa that Dr. Marvin had said we'd done exactly right in assuring that the girl get to a psychiatrist and that we needed to assure she was not in danger to others. I feel much better knowing that a professional would assess the situation as it would be most beneficial even though this person from the state level knowing nothing about the girl would think we should have corrected all of her problems and put her on some kind of behavior regiment.

Nuf of that! We got a fudgicle, some new coffee and we started the dishwasher. Shoot, shoot forgot the medicine again. Well we'll do that on the next trip up when we take the shower ... It's now about 9 am and I think Rich is coming home about 10 to be leaving at 10:30, so we better get going in about 15 minutes. That way my hair might dry by the time he gets home and I can pack before he gets here to speed that up. The house is in pretty good shape, but we've got to remember to take care of the kitties.

I think if I can get my head away from this other thing I should be looking forward to a great weekend. A good part of St. Rose went to the zoo today here in Brookfield. Funny now to think they are in MY town! It was something I'd gotten the original information for, but after I got the contact and general information, we turned it over to sister and she is seeing that it was followed through. I think it's great when our group gets out. It just doesn't happen as much now days as it had used to.

I think Rich was going to St. Rose this morning just for appearance. I know he's doing some work, but I never know if its directly for St. Rose or not. Yesterday he and I went to an online meeting with the person who is in charge of developmental disabilities at the department of human services. She did have knowledge of what was going on, but she was very unimpressive as to her general demeanor. She laughed and giggled at inside jokes she was making with her assistant. It was really unprofessional. I didn't find out who it was until after the meeting ... and it gave me a sinking feeling.

I took notes of the meeting and I gave the administration team a copy. They were a very comprehensive set of notes that was 7 pages long. Pswhoo. Just typed my little fingers to the bones. hehehe.

Ok, little fingers ... why don't you take yourselves to get some medicine before we get real confused. Hmm?

Ok ... we're back. We've taken a shower, taken our medicine, and packed our bag. It's now about 9:45 am so we should expect to have Rich come home at any time. We're ready ... just have to pour our coffee, put on our shoes and socks, and bring our bags downstairs. I should probably grab a couple of waters too, but I don't think any are cool. Usually Rich brings an ice cooler and there's a whole new stash of water so we'll see what he wants to do there. Hmm, there is something else I was going to bring. Got our medicine and camera and will pack up the computer. Maybe I should read back, I think I wrote it down. Hold on.

AHA! We need to remember to take care of the kitties food. I'll do that next time up ... just gotta remember. Right now we need a little break. I'm feeling pretty hot. I think things are going pretty good. I'm not sure if we should make another pot of coffee. It will I suppose depend when Rich gets home. Right now we're good, but I don't think what we got will fill up both our traveling cups. We'll see ... I can check on that after Rich gets in. I'm hoping that the dishwasher gets through the washing part, but I think its not going to finish its drying cycle before we have to leave ... we'll need to check on that. I'm thinking we should call the apartment people about some of our slow draining, but I'm not up to that right now. Maybe while we're traveling.

I also have to consider calling in my medicine. We'll be out by Sunday night of one of them ... we might do that on the road too. I'm not sure whether or not we should bring the bill things. We've got enough time to be working on that kinda thing while traveling ... just not sure if I want to get into it with Rich being there. I don't want cause for argument or worry. But, it would be good to get it done. Maybe we'll bring it with just to have the option of doing it ... we can always pass. Ok, that's thought through.

I'm feeling much more comfortable that things are happening soon. Supposedly within the hour we'll be leaving, but I'm not sure if Rich is running on time.

Whoops ...exactly on time ... Rich just walked in ... better close up and flow with the stream! And hopefully there are fishies there waiting!