Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Rip-roaring ... and a little crying afternoon ... damn money.

V? If you’re still reading, are you also reading the sewing blog? It’s at quiltedmooses.blogspot.com

I’m feeling a need to write in my regular blog, but it seems most days that are filled with sewing to some degree or making the sewing room – we’re writing over at the other blog. My thoughts progress slightly now I hope in coming over here, but I don’t want to repeat myself. I figure that if I ever get my stuff in writing – I’ll just have to add in the sewing parts. That make sense right?

Ok, taking that all into consideration. If V is still reading this blog … he’s most likely the only one. My STAR reader! Thanks!

Hmm, I caught up sorta where we were the last time we were writing. It seems the pattern is to write over here when we’re feeling a bit overwhelmed. I’m really glad we’re having a Dr. Marvin meeting tonight. It couldn’t come soon enough. I feel a lot of built-up pressure. We’ve been floating on a manic high for a bit.

We’re needing that kind of relief.

From the time that we wrote last in the other blog about 11 days ago, we’ve been pretty much non-stop shopping obsessing about the sewing and the sewing room.

We’re going to cheat here and look up some general idea of where we’ve been by looking at the saved AOL email. That should help put perspective on things, right?

Hmm, first thing was that we got a new flash drive from Sister that is 32 GB. That was cool. We’ve switched over our 8 GB to the 32 GB. We’d reached the max of the other. There are a few more things on it that were difficult to get off, but in general we’ve freed it up mostly for when CARF comes through again … they can just look at it straight-up. It was nice of sister to get for us.

We’ve also asked for a scanner like the one we have at home. Rich seems to be using that on more and more for business. I would like to make sure I scan things in and then maybe get rid of some of the paper trail. I could do a really nice job cleaning up the office with one. I think because of the technology involved, we could scan AND do OCR, AND be able to do searches within the documents so that might replace the work of the paper tiger. We’ll have to see.

I joined the Beta for Paper Tiger and if I can get some time, I would like to test it out. They have a new On-line version which would be great!

Ok, we’re seeing if that works … it says it’s uploading, but I’m not sure, my file might be too big. We’ll find out. I was able to find the file and that was something. It says 6 mb … I didn’t see that before. I’m REALLY sure I’m over that! Waiting waiting. I sent them an email saying that I was interested in becoming an expert in their field. We’ll see how that goes. I might have to create a new file to do the Beta testing. I’m thinking that it would be an interesting way to organize some quilting stuff, but the blog really does a lot in that you can upload text and picture files. Don’t want to over think this … maybe we better go on.

Ok, then along with our purchasing power plan … it looks like a bit ago … we started the purchases with two Belkin Power strips and that we included with that order the ironing pad. It’s not expected to get here until tomorrow. Not sure why that took so long, but the strips are already in use. We created a universal wish list over at Amazon. Love that store! Then we got in sister’s money – she rewarded us with an extra $1000 for good behavior  Rich got it too. They held back $200-some for taxes, but we arranged quickly to spend the rest while Rich was out of town. He got it too – with no taxes out and later he came up with the idea of purchasing a stackable washer and dryer, but because he wanted to use half of my money which was already gone – it can’t be said if we’re really going to get it or not. We’ll see. BUT, for the record SEARS is having an appliance sale … and there’s a really nice one for $1100 

I just called and left a number for Mike (I think) the machine didn’t say who the phone number was for. I had to get a number from Directory Assistance. Anyway the one I’m looking at is a Frigidaire White 27 in electric front load washer and dryer. We’re still hoping at least … we threw in that it was our birthday coming up and I’d take over clothes washing. I thought I’d remembered Mike saying before that he would allow it, but I think we had to do the cost of the machine … and maybe half the installation by one of his guys. It would be worth it and worth switching around the room again. We already started figuring where we could put Grandma’s dishes!

Hmm, sister stopped by with some plastic sleeves we’d asked for … staff training in 10 minutes.

The next thing ordered was our cutting pad for the other set-up … that’s nothing too special just don’t want to drag the thing from room to room. We also ordered a couple of Ott lights. They are really special for normalizing the room light and preserving eyes from becoming strained. We got two and they were delivered yesterday. We put one over our sewing machine and the other by the cutting table.

The ironing space got the swing light and temporarily the tall desk light is over by the fridge/closet area.

Next we ordered a couple quilt hangers. We got a double curtain pole that came in last night and that will be fore the new kitchen curtains CS and I made a bit ago and the lace curtain. Then those two poles will be free for the quilt and the sewing room. The quilt hanger is a magnet that holds the rod in place. We’ve got a double set to hang a heavier quilt.

Next we ordered a steamer that came in last night. It’s really something. It’s almost industrial – if not so. AND, we got a new cordless iron so we could also leave one in the front and one in the back. We were really going for a complete clothing/cloth complex! We also got a steam liquid cleaner to care for that machine and a special hanger that came in today.

While we were over at Amazon, we ordered 16 more shelf brackets to supplement the ones we had or to add to the wall that didn’t have any. There are a few extra … so maybe we can do a little more with the wood we have, but in general were almost finished with that project.

There were a couple more ordering experiences as well. We are adding to the bar area of the room so we ordered a set of 4 hand towels to be placed on shelves and then on top of that … we should have 3 shelves of glasses of various types. We ordered a set of a dozen wine glasses, a pitcher and 6 water goblets, AND another picture with 6 Margarita glasses. Yup yup … we’re swinging that way. There were some other purchases done in cash that went with all this. We got a white and bottle of wine, 2 cartons of wine coolers, a half dozen hard lemonades, and then added to the small fridge as well … some bottles of Miller light and some general water. ONE more step well … a couple in that direction. We stopped at 7-11 and bought a really inexpensive bag of clear ice and then today we finished the shopping WE HOPE with a trip to a web shop for restaurants. Originally we got 4 dozen table skirt clips, and then we got a couple 39 cent bottle openers, then we got a half dozen wine bottle capsavers, AND then we got an oval serving tray. That for the record was on our original order. I don’t think there’s much room in the sewing room for it, but I liked the idea of using the serving tray bringing food and drinks to the living room and to the balcony. We’re moving up in class hehehe … Well, I don’t know if its moving up to be serving yourself, but it will help me feel more accomplished in putting out one of Rich’s spreads. I’d like to think I could be helpful at something. The tray has specially non-slip bottom and sides.

I’m probably not going to carry above my left shoulder. Hopefully it will be easier too cleaning the tables after eating. I didn’t know a better way to carry a Margarita pitcher and two glasses.

I’m afraid to look at my bank account, but I should probably do that, hmm? Oh man!!! I better stop. It says there is only $500 in there. But, the good part is that I already then paid the bigger school loan, my medical debt, and sprint. It’s obvious Rich hasn’t looked awhile, but the shopping is now over … I think we’re throwing in some late needed breaks. When do we see Dr. Marvin? Seems we really took advantage of having that extra money in there from Sister. We told you that part, right? After CARF we got a bonus of $1000 … yeah … said that. Well, that money is gone. How much did we spend?

Hmm…

11.78 Amazon
19.67 Amazon
51.76 Amazon
58.99 Amazon
78.00 Quilt rod
112.55 Ott light
49.99 Amazon
138.40 Amazon
170.00 Jinny Beyer
29.18 Amazon
54.87 Amazon
56.90 Techsmith
27.48 Target
76.79 Target
35.99 Hayneedle
51.58 Webstaurant

Oh man … about $1025. That’s pretty much like $225 over budget. I think the account will take, it but I’m pretty sure Rich is going to be as angry as hell.

That was like 16 separate purchases. Have we done this much bad before? Lately?

I still need to get in the ironing pad, the cutting board, the quilt hangers, the shelf brackets and the bottle of steamer cleaner, the snag-it program for CS, 3 sets of glass, hand towels, and the restaurant order of tray, clips, opener and bottle toppers

Oh Lordy … it’s about 10 more boxes. That poor lady downstairs is going to think we went crazy. I’m going a little crazy here. Is this like enough for me? Can I stop? Pretty sure we should leave Rich with some money to pay bills. I’m going to need using the card to park at Dr. Marvin’s tonight. He’s probably not complaining about that particular $7.

Wow … just got a note from V. We found ourselves back at our G-mail. We’re barely over there, but V has been writing AND publishing. I can’t say enough of my feelings of pride for you V. You just went out and done it! Congrats!

Ok, back again … we packed up but have about 15 minutes to go. I spose that’s like ten and space to enter in blog.

Oh man-o-man ... we got an official follower over at the Quilt Blog ... someone named Margaret from Australia! Wonderful!