Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Monday, January 04, 2010

Left-over from Monday the 28th

Good morning. This is me. It’s now about 10:30 am on Monday morning the 28th. I don’t think we had a chance to write yesterday, but we’re good this morning, in that we’re in the car with Rich headed up to my sister’s and we have some free time. I made sure Rich knew that he took priority anytime he wanted to talk.

Hehehe just like now … someone called who he didn’t talk to, but we reminded him we didn’t talk to Bob yet. So that’s what he’s doing now. He’s setting up his bachelor life. Rich wants Bob to look at putting new eyelets in his rods. I think he’s looking forward to me being gone to get ahead with his data entry, work on rods, and do something with the adaptive PE. Oh and then his Bob project so that would include dinner and Ballies.

I guess that’s another example of Rich coming first. We’ve been talking a bit about stuff in particular. Part of it being Rich’s worrying over Bob. And, then it got more casual like about stuff we were passing and such. I think he’s done talking for a bit. We’re about an hour and 15 minutes away. By the look of his computer, Rich has picked up about 3 minutes. It’s a few moment to 11 am, and we’re expected in about 12:20 pm. We just crossed the WI border.

We should say something with the time we’ve got about the events of the last several days.

I have got to think whether or not we mentioned what happened yet with the girls and Maury coming over. I don’t think so … last time I remembered writing they were just getting to the house, so the events I’ve got on my mind now is having them over, and then going out to meet Jill and Dawna, then we woke up to a very big mess left over from the grandchildren and then we went to breakfast with Joe and then we went to eat at Rich’s Mom’s with Bud, Mark, his two daughters Brandy and Crystal, one of Bud’s kids Freddie, and then Rich’s kids – two at least Jill and Jon. And, then last night’s event is that Rich and us drove Jon home and that was a 2 ½ hour one-way trip.

This morning we got up and got through me still having a headache from last night and then we picked up a bit for Rich in the living room and then we packed up and here we are. We got on the road about 10 am. We have called CS so she knows when to expect us. We should be going out to eat lunch. It will be interesting to see if she’s maneuvered it so others are there – as to Nate and Dani. I guess I feel it’s about the same as when Bob invites his kids. It just adds way too much an element so that we’re not talking directly to the adults I mean to be conversing with. I do love my nephew and I’m appreciative of Dani and Bob’s kids for that matter, I’m just going to have to get over the generational thing.

Thinking about it now I think that in my Dad’s day, he would have been glad to include all generations and to some degree it was expected, but back in his day – the kids part didn’t take ALL of the priority of conversation and such. Like when Maury is around and we’re talking … a lot of it is his interest and to some degree that includes when his kids are around. When his kids are around, I tend to favor the grandchildren because I think in general kids need a lot of attention. Maybe I’m still treating my kids that way even though they are fully grown. Just think they need attention. Sometimes though when we’re going out to dinner or such, I like to be able to talk to people who are at about my level of interests.

Anyway, one way or another we’ll see about dinner. I would like Connie Sue to say – if she is inviting extra people when we are treating … if its ok to include others.

I think that parts just polite.

I’m hoping that I can be polite too. Sometimes we get grumbly and that’s no good.

We’ll have to work on it. Rich says that we should focus on the part of us being their to help CS. I know that’s important so I just have to try hard. Please remind me if we are getting off-track, ok?

Ok, so as far as the celebrations along the last couple of days … I had a very good time throughout and I couldn’t say one event was that much nicer than the others.

You know I have a spot in my heart as wide as Texas for the granddaughters – so I guess that does pull a little extra weight.

Isa has got the cold, so that made her a little more sweet in that she really did need some good hugging time. Fortunately about that time Ame was able to settle down too though she pulled over some more attention because somehow or another, she needed some really good tickling. Then Isa needed some too and we were off to the racetrack. There were so many good moments, but that moment was absolutely spectacular!

Rich had gone out of his way to make some extra special chocolate chip and marshmallow pancakes. I’ve told a few people about them, but he’s still getting credit for that move. Isa didn’t eat because she wasn’t feeling well, but I think everyone else appreciated the gesture. Maury was surprised I’d never had chocolate chips in my pancakes, but I guess I had been living a sheltered life. Maury saved Isa a piece of bacon and sure enough a little later she had a piece of that. Rich was now just saying that everyone likes bacon. Eh … I didn’t know.

We did the gift opening part first and it played out real close to how we’d outlined it the other day. I was disappointed though in how long it took to thread the bobbin … there is the casing, bobbin and two other metal parts that hold the other’s together. It took way too much time away from actually sewing on the machine. Ame and Isa both got in a little time, but it wasn’t as much as I would like. In between things, Maury and Rich tried to make Isa’s $20 machine go to no avail and I tried to keep the grandaughter’s happy while we were working on the bobbin. Both Maury and Rich helped and eventually it was Rich that got it in. Good for him. Now we just gotta figure out how to do it all the time … part of that might be to tip it so everything stays together before you can lock her down. Sheesh! Very poorly designed.

Yuck that was a bad part. The people from Dell called and we gave it to Rich and he went through a thing with them. They wanted payment on the 18th, but Rich agreed with them to pay on the 20th. And, then they said there was insufficient funds, making Rich think they tried to take it out early, but then she had to call back because they had the wrong account number, but we don’t have the checks now with the right number on them and Rich refuses to let them take it off the debit card, so now there’s something hanging over our head, but things seemed more calmed down. I think it’s ok, just emotions got ruffled. By now we’re about 33 miles from CS and it should take about 40 minutes more. So, I guess we’re getting somewhere, but not as fast as we should be making it.

Harder now to go back to the grandchildren. Gotta refigure out that space. Maybe we won’t go back there so directly. Hmm, anything I am in the mood for now? Hmm, I did want to say a little about meeting Dawna when going out with her and Jill. We went to the Mongolian place that Rich had taken Jill and thought that Dawna would like. I wasn’t over crazy about it, but after Rich reminded ONE of us how to do it, we ran through the course quickly just so we weren’t standing around. It was hard for us to be with strange people in the buffet style setting. It was also hard for us to choose things like meat that was raw. We chose only one and then filled it in with minimal vegetables and sauce. After the meal we ordered an ice cream sundae with caramel and we ate about half of that. I was the low plate of the group, but it seemed everyone else was happy so we were all good with that.

The big deal was in meeting Jill’s Dawna. I liked her from the first glance. She has a very warm and welcoming face. She looks in control of herself and is a sharp dresser and speaker as is Jill. Both of them had on black jackets and they looked pretty hot! I don’t remember now a lot of the conversation. The one part I will always remember is getting a couple hugs from Dawna. I had been the first one back to the table, and then Rich, so I made sure to tell him what a really, really good hugger Dawna was. And, then later when they were about to leave, I got another hug and then said something to the girls out loud about how nice it was. I think they were pretty smiley and I’m pretty sure that Jill agreed with us.

It was all in all a little unexpected thing to have happened, but nonetheless it was what it was. Sweet! In general, I felt very comfortable throughout dinner and I think things went back and forth between everyone pretty even. I think Rich hung back a little in that the conversation with females was going pretty quick. But, I think people still focus on him as being the “chief” of attention given. I think everyone wants to make sure Rich is comfortable. At least me. He told one story that was a little longer, and I remember looking at him proudly thinking how far he has come in accepting not only his daughter’s sexual preference, but that she’s so far away. I really appreciate the ground covered by him. Good Rich!

Whoops too close to CS now gotta go, but we’ll continue this later, k?