Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Surgery is over

This is me. I figure that I maybe should could take a few moments to write. That’s the kind of thing I do, right? For the record I thought I should say that today is Saturday, and on Wednesday we had the surgery. WooHOO!!! It’s done! Just don’t say that too loud or bouncy k? It’s now about 2 pm and we’ve just managed throughout the day to write to Thom and figure out how to get us through the day.

That’s not been too light an accomplishment. Poor Maury … we started out our formal day bothering him at 6:30 am, but through that panicky call was able to figure out that we should call the psychiatrist on call at UIC she was helpful in sorting out our medicines as to the ones we should be taking for psychotropics. Maybe we should take the others too, but not yet … I don’t know … If there was a time to cut back on medicines it would be now.

Good Maury just got here with the girls … he came up for the card then went to get the medicine. I’m hoping that he’s going to put some of it on the card so he can use some for dinner … he’s mentioned twice taking the girls out for something to eat and ice cream. I feel like I should try to cover that since he’s come this far out of his way. I feel distracted nervous to have him here with the girls, but am glad he’s out … I just don’t want them like to have me “On them.” I feel right now as if I’m a sickness. I don’t like the idea of having the girls see me when I’ve got problems or needs. Probably a human thing … just I don’t want them to think of me being old and feeble or anything. I don’t know, but having an operation is kind of a big thing. I’m afraid that if too much attention paid to it it could become a memory for Ame. I don’t want her to have to think of things like her Granma couldn’t contain her weight on her own. I don’t know … maybe this is just the first of some bad thinking type ideas that come with the surgery. Those remorseful thoughts, such as now able to say, “what have you done?”

Hmm, best not to go there.

Let’s think positively. Like we won’t have to make those kinds of decisions again in THIS lifetime. AND … health benefit #1 … I’m no longer on diabetes medication … let me repeat that … I’m no longer on diabetes medication. That all by itself should be worthy of anything else. And, in general should save me about $50 a month worth of medication. That’s a good thing. In two years it will pay for the surgery all by itself. I have to check with Dr. Marvin or Dr. Albright with the other medicines maybe I can cut down on some of them too. Right now though we’re only taking the synthroid for the thyroid condition and the psychotropics. I think there are about 6-7 of them. I was supposed to talk to the pharmacist when I went in but it wasn’t a good time to do it. Not with Ame and Isa there and having to go up and down those stairs. Plus everything is too new yet. Better to wait.

Hmm, I wonder if that was them I heard pulling up.