Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Mom Letter #6 - February 28, 2008 - Reporting weather from Chicago to be 16 F.

Dear Thom,

Hey there Thom Cat! How are they treating you? Have you gone through any big sickness that some of them are talking about? I think they call it the crud? I’ve read a few letters about Pneumonia, because of people coming together from all over the place and bringing who knows what – guess pretty much just the mix. I’m praying that you are sooooo strong that you are avoiding all of that PLUS your wisdom teeth are still safe. Not sure of that part though either. I’m afraid to much message board reading this morning. Oh dear … I don’t want to write a worrisome letter!!!

Switching tracks quick!

So how the hell are you??! Are you having the time of your life? How is the leadership part going? Do you go up ropes? Do they make you swim in cold water yet? Just how ARE you doing? I’m not sure if it will be me you call or someone else, but we hope to be hearing from you soon – though in REAL life I’ll be meeting up with you in a couple of days WOOOHOOO!!!! I’ve been writing thinking of you being gone so I’ll be especially happy to see you!

I’m imagining that you’ve already got friends and have found the couple smartest guys in the platoon and you are being smart alecs and laughing up a storm except maybe when your spit polishing the quarterdeck. Nobody will tell me what the pit is yet, but its been mentioned a couple of times. I’m guessing you are going to be able to tell me about that, but might choose not to too. That be ok, but ya gotta know I’m going to figure it out sooner or later! Hmm, tell Maury, ok?? *Big toothy grin* I know, I know always gotta be nice to the brothers – they’re tight.

We did talk to Maury the other day. He’s going to call me back after he talks to the next set of folks. I think he has to see if he passed the last interview at Comcast and if he does then he has to take a drug test in 24 hours then he’d know by early next week if he got the job and he’d start like March 10-15th, something like that. That’s the job he actually wants although there was a solid job offer by AT & T this week the money was too low. I’m pretty sure in real time you know all this, but I have to keep this in perspective.

I think it’s good for Maury to have a couple of positive interview experiences. It seems like he got into this niche of being a cable guy and he went with it … it seems like he’s in, but we’ll wait a few more days and check that out. Our heart is out there with him! I know he can do more, but it’s good to get IN a big company and then start climbing from there. I don’t think this is going to be a real hard job for Maury, but he’s like potential untapped really. Time will tell.

Don’t know much more on Joe. So we’ll say he’s holding still. Just busy. Gotta just LOVE that kid!

I could tell you about Rich … hmm, let me think what would be one good Rich story?

I had some worrisome medical test results last night and I called him on the way home. He suggested it wasn’t a good idea to cry and drive, but I said it was ok, cuz I was only a couple blocks, but I’d try to stop. I got up the stairs, pulled my chair close, looked up into his baby blues … heard his first, “Now now …” Then I really started crying, but he let me be hugged. So I didn’t feel bad. That’s pretty much Rich. He doesn’t like to look at the negative side of anything. He calls it PMA – Positive Mental Attitude. If I said I was green he’d say at least I wasn’t red – see so there is no problem. I guess that will be my Rich story of the letter. In summary, he’s a really good friend, but I never get to feel sorry for me long *sigh* Sometimes I miss that.

As to me – we do a couple things really, not much more … we go to work and sometimes we work. We go home and either we’re on the computer or we’re doing something with Rich. If we’re on the computer we’re either blogging, reading something on the Internet, over at Marineparents.com, or writing to you. We’re not doing too much else now days. I’d like not to think about being obsessive; I’d like to think of it as being focused. Yes, that works for me. Somehow you took on this whole new family with the Marines and in so doing we became a Marine Parent. That takes a lot of figuring out. You really are happy with the Marines, right Thom? This is the thing you want to do? Because you know you can’t do just sorta Marines, they want you Marine all the way it seems.

I can see you now giving it all with your whole giggly self – WHICH btw I gave you … I’m pretty sure I gave you that part that gets giddy happy. It’s one of my best features! I love it when I see it on you! It seems to start inside from the bottom of your ribs and then it rolls right through you til it squinches up your body and you are nothing but a huge smile! Oh sure I don’t know you … Well, I don’t know much OF you, but I know THAT part. I know you get as excited as hell about stuff.

Sure … uhuh … look around do you find many others that have THAT capacity for good feeling? I think its truly a gift! Ok, stop being strange mother, I know.

wink*

Hmm, Thom’s probably say where’s my joke – she nearly promised me a joke … better go hunt one up.

Q1: What Kind of critters do secret agents like?
Q2: How did Darth Vader know what Luke was getting for Christmas?
Q3: What is Harry Potter’s favorite cereal?
Q4: Why did the farmer plant seeds in a pond?
Q5: What do you call an underwater spy?

Hehehe WELL they did say keep it squeaky clean! How bout some news recruit?? There was some good stuff that got by. Let me see if I can capture some. Again let me know if I can send pictures attached to the letter … make a prettier letter – don’t you think?

AHA! Bush says we are NOT heading for recession – top story on AOL news. He expressed this at a White House news conference 19 minutes ago. He expressed concern, but says it is not imminent. He says that we’ve already acted robustly towards an economic stimulus and we need time to see how it works. Hmm, that actually seems reasonable.

In sports – there is Roger Clemens who declined to say whether he was aware congress had asked the justice department to investigate whether he had lied in sworn testimony about steroid use. He should have probably read the news … I don’t think it was a secret.

Hmm, Money? Stock fell on weak economic data – basically a couple of reports from the commerce department showed that the economy nearly stalled in late 2007 and that unemployment claims rose last week. Well no that doesn’t make a lick of sense to me either … Maybe lost something in the transition?

Hmm, data bolstered investors’ concern that the economy is weakening sharlply – and those worries escalated further Thursday when the dollar diped to a new low against the 15-natuion euro. This sounds where we find “imminent.”

Hmm, this is cool … From technology

FBI agent says we need a second, secure Internet. He suggests adding a second layer to the Internet which would require people to register and uniquely identify themselves before accessing; something like a digital passport that would indicate exactly who is clicking on every link. However, it’s easy to see how even this could be used maliciously, enabling sites to easily identify and track who is surfing and where they’re going. Sorry Thom … thought the agent had something
serious he was offering.

Whoops … lost time to this letter. Better start again on the next day.

Love you lots and lots up and over the tops!
Mom