Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Mom Letter #5 - February 26, 2008 - Reporting weather from Chicago to be 33 and snowy.

Dear Thom,
Good morning, this is just a short one … I decided there better be a few of these because otherwise I’m not getting them out and that’s contradictorily to my plan.

I’m afraid I still have perfectionist thinking so that if I can’t have it done my way I don’t want to do it at all. I’m thinking you’ve got that in you too. And, I’m thinking that the Marines are going to be umm asking you to re-think that line of thinking – because a lot of times you are going to need taking what you get instead of what you want. Always go forward, never give up! If no other lesson I can teach you – always progress!

Ok, that’s enough Mom lecturing. So hows the recruit coming along? I’m still pre-shipment date so I don’t know where you are on your training schedule. Chances are you are during the third week or so. Since having you over the first time to talk Marine-stuff they’ve switched the schedule. I’ll try to have printed up today a copy of the new matrix. The big deal is that the swimming has moved up and the crucible has moved from the 8th week to the 11th week. By now you will know this.

I’m guessing there will be a little more tension waiting for it, but that you will be that much more prepared. I have tendencies to think most planned choice is good so that this one is “wisdom speaking.”

From what I know after Black Friday, they had you switch around barracks so you were to leave receiving and go to the company barracks you would be placed in. I really hope you get in one that you like and that you find a friend parallel to you. That means probably that you’re going to feel competitive with him before you let him be a good friend hehehe. I think you like your friends tough!

Ahh speaking of … just looking at that schedule now. If my guess is right and you are past week two that means that you’ve already been introduced to the obstacle course. How’d you like that? I’m glad that you are working in the weight room before you go. That is to your single most advantage altogether. Especially at the introduction of pugil sticks. I took a look at them … Padded or not … they are about the size to knock you to another room!

Ok, there goes my Mom-tolerance level. So, how about me do you suppose?

Well, not much to say there. Hmm, I did meet up with the Joe a couple of nights ago which is always very nice. He talked a good amount about his Karate school – oh and we went to that same restaurant as we did together that time and we sat at the table so Joe could say hi to the girl you were friends with … I’m not sure of her name … maybe something like Ariel? She’s real nice, but shy. Joe made sure she knew that you were in the marines and that he owned the Karate school, and then he asked her how she was doing, but she didn’t really volunteer much information, except about where she was living, but Joe wasn’t aware of the area, because she was using a bar for a marker. *Sigh* Then again she mentioned a train for a marker and that seemed to go over Joe too. Just kidding! You know I love the Joe-kid!

Joe talked about hiring someone who was 16 and he talked about learning to do taxes. I think he’s going to need guidance from Alex’s uncle or something on-line.

But, he’ll figure it out. He showed me his armor too … Wow! He’s come a long way!

We went over a lot of stuff, but not a whole lot because it was just a quick pick-me-up dinner between things … but, we got a chance to talk about a few “Thom-like”
things too.

I said to Joe, “Now about Thom’s graduation …” Joe reached for his calendar thingy and said, “Just tell me when I gotta be there and where!” Hehehe awe he’s such a good brother. It took me a few minutes longer than that to tell him all the details. I told him I’d put in about $3-400 on a room for him and whoever was goin down. I also told him about $300-350 be a great price round trip for plane, then we were figuring $50 a day food for two (Rich and us) – we had breakfast at the hotel, and that our hotel was costing $118 per night. I told him the days he HAD to be there and us taking a weekend off while we were there and renting a car for about $30-35 a day. Joe seemed to think as fast as he was thinking that he was going to handle it. I think its going to be harder for Maury, Alex or Bob. He didn’t know if your Dad or Jacki or your Grandmother had started to talk about it, but by the time this letter gets to you – I’m sure they will be talking of it.

Whether any of those go or not … we’ll of course be happy to have Joe spend time with us. It’s such a remarkable thing to have Family meet. At that happy note … I should be going. It’s 5:30 am now … time for me to jump in the shower. Chief’s been laying on both wrists as I type and is his morning custom and by now my arms are a bit tired. The routine here is that I get up early – no clock, write and then take my shower. Then I wake up Rich, get dressed, get him his coffee, meet him at the kitchen table – he’s opening his email. Then I take my medicine – pack my lunch and am out the door by 6:20 am and then he probably stretches, gets some more coffee … and …

Naw. He’s really hard at work right away, but he does stay around the house for awhile sometimes. He does a lot of quotations (bids for jobs at the workshops) before he leaves for meetings all over the place – sometimes even at St. Rose! But, one thing for sure … He NEVER beats me out the door! HMPF!

Hehehe.

Ok, ok smooches to you – Keep making me proud by being Super Thom , I mean Recruit Thom #1!!!

I love you,
Mom