Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Mom Letter #2 - February 19, 2008 – Temp outside right now in Chicago 12 F.

Dear Thom,

Hi there Thom – how are YOU?? There’s one side of my face that’s scrunched down a little with my left eye closed some just in case they are mussin with that gorgeous face of yours. Make sure no big ‘ol boots be runnin it over or nuthin, k? Ok, shhh, shhh we’re dealin. You know your in charge of yourself so stay tough recruit!! I know you can do it … Just one task at a time … I think people in the olden days just counted the moons or something – Maybe you’ll find special inner silence in the playing of taps each night?

We’re on Day #2 of the writing here so at this point of writing you are still in Villa Park. I’m not sure what you are doing here either – except I think it might include some time doing training. I don’t know all of what you are putting your mind through. When ours gets noisy we just say shhhh. Quiet now. Then it sometimes seems easiest to find something to concentrate on until we feel sleepy. I have a real edge on that. I still fall asleep very easily – usually about the time it would take someone to count to 10. Rich has timed me and he says I’m under 5 minutes TRYING to stay up – maybe I wasn’t trying my hardest.

I think you are going to be in a position where you are going to find out a little more about my work, because it’s what I think about during the day. Today, we had what is called a “Behavior Management/Human Rights Committee” meeting. I take the notes. The administrator, 3 Q’s, a parent rep, a client rep, a community rep, and a Doctor-type rep are at the meeting. We talk about some behavior issues of some of the people we take care of – try to resolve problems. It goes on for an hour or more. A lot of times what happens is I just be quiet and let Holly – one Q and Sr. the administrator talk over one another. I gently move them along, “So, are we done with this one, shall I write to be continued?” Of course we know the answer – just trying to “order” them. Before the meeting I was writing out old notes
Afterward, I worked at looking up for Sr. what if it would be possilbe to obtain a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. It was disappointing at best. I’ve looked over hundreds of grants in all shapes and sizes. Usually they are so close-minded in the projects or people they serve that it’s hard for people like us to get ahead. This one funded BIG projects and the only small community ones were around the Washington state, specific cities in the state. It’s ok though … It’s like reading the newspaper – you just keep looking through it for the really good sales!

I started to do something special after reading through the MarineParents.com site a little more. I decided that for every letter that I write to you – I will write a letter to another Marine. They are sending letters with care packages to Iran and Afghanistan. People can get a package sent to their love one for free just by requesting it ... it seemed like a good idea. I thought I’m a lot better letter writer than I would be say collecting rubber tires. Yesterday, I promised you a joke – so that’s my next aime … I’m going out to scout out a joke for you! AND – Mom’s do CLEAN jokes – that’s ok, right??

A Marine and Airman are doing their business in urinals next to each other in an airport bathroom. They engage in some small talk, mostly some pot shots at the others branch of service. They both finish around the same time. The Airman goes to the sink and starts to wash his hands while the Marine just heads for the door. The Airman looks at him disgusted and says, "At least in Air Force boot camp they teach us to wash our hands after “going to the washroom.” The Marine looks at him and says, "In Marine Corps boot camp they teach us not to “wet” on our hands".

Umm, some words changed loosely to fit “mom vocabulary.”  Ok, ok … that’s all we have for the joke today. I thought it a good start! We are going to zoom into the news time …

I think the biggest news of the day today was that Castro was resigning his dictatorship over Cuba. Wow … that’s pretty big. Don’t quote me here, but I think he took over Cuba about the time I was born … (1959) he didn’t affect me, but I’ve got a pretty small circle.

If you would let me send pictures – I would have sent you a big picture of the remains of what they are calling the “Devil Toad” from Madagascar. He was supposed to be the size of a 10 pound bowling ball (16 inches long).

Seemingly related – the allowed the 4 year old son of Crocodile Hunter to be bitten by a baby boa constrictor snake. This is the same family that let their 18 month old daughter, Bindy, already be bitten. Mom says son wasn’t alarmed. Ok, ok fine.
Everything is fine here.

Hmm Wal-marts profits rise and stocks go up … I’ll find out why … I figure you have been in the money business and might have more interest than in Roberts snake. Ahh Wal-Mart is saying its because of its renewed focus on low prices with a 4 percent rise in profit on 4th quarter holiday shoppers buying discounted groceries and home electronics along with health and wellness products. Food, electronics, and health care … I find that interesting – have to keep watching to see if that is on some kind of natural national curve at least in countries affording it.

Thinking now about you not having electronic stuff. I don’t know how that is going. I think that’s gotta be just as brave as anything else – stepping away from the computer. My internet was down for 36 hours. It was pretty hard. I think you can do it though – It must be a good feeling to be out using your body to the best of its ability like it has some natural rhythm yet to be discovered. Ok, so I’m a little strange …

Hmm – that’s another thought. I read somewhere yesterday that you take your rifle almost everywhere. I understand that conceptually, but how’s that going? Are you comfortable with it yet?

I’ve got the commercial where the marines are doing rifle moves in locations all over the country and there are nice cadence sounds to go with it and then someone says something proud about the marines – well I have that commercial now at the top of my blog. After I post a new entry I go back and listen to it … and I think of you Thom. I think of you fitting in and being a part of something that is huge and wonderful. It’s the right place. I’m sure of it. Just hope you didn’t just get done scrubbing toilets or something. 

Ahh here’s quite the story. This one is in the newspaper under the title of “Dog honored for donating blood.” Turns out this dogs name is Lurch and he’s a 2 year old 200-pound English Mastiff who has donated blood to other dogs 20 times helping dozens of dogs. He got a reward for being a “Pet’s Best Friend” Wish I could show you his picture … Looks like a big old friendly dog. Good dog.

Ahh someone did a study – Switched Gadgets. They came up with the best 5 laptops under $500. The first one is “the Windows One” Acer Aspire 5315. It’s a Vista for students on a budget. 15.4” LCD Screen, stereo speakers, 6.2 pounds, 3 USB ports, generous keyboard, wi-fi, DVD/CD-RW drive.

Best Laptop #2 “The Virus-free One: Zonbu Notebook. Looks like 2 for $500. The install software, storage, updates, and maintenance so parents, children and grandparents don’t get virus ( or confused). Its based on linux and has programs that can work like most common programs people use windows for. Yeeks! Comes with a $14.95 per month charge that could eventually cost more that $500. We’ll pass.

Number #3 is $400 “The cute, Ultra-mobile One: Asus eeePC It’s all white paperback-sized subnotebook PC runs on version of linux. Boots up in 10 seconds, comes with general programs installed, built in wi-fi, 3 usb ports. This seems to be for mobile professionals who don’t have $2000 for macbook air, but need bigger than blackberry for emails or writing office docs on the fly or new computers to kids.

#4 “The long-lasting One” Everex Cloudbook. Similar to the last one 2 pound ultraportable, fast, linux-based for photographers on the go, business people on the go and first computer users. Decent programs, plus built in Webcam for videoconferencing, memory card slot, black casing. Whew … now the last one

#5 is screaming at me – it’s GREEN! The cost is only $188 “This is the one that makes the world a better place.” OLPC XO, which stands for “one laptop per child” maybe the XO is kisses and hugs? It is linux-based, web browsing, word processing, games, music and more, ultra low power, wi-fi, especially produced for social networking and collaboration. Hmm, still ironing out bugs.

That was pretty exciting! You got an idea which one you would by if you had some $500 to spend on someone little? I would think like Austin, but I’m sure he’s got a computer that cost much more than $500. Smart kid!

Just wanted to get you a little excited with some computer talk :)

Hmm, I wonder in closing up the news stories if there is anything about Brit or Paris. Hmm. Better check that out. Letter wouldn’t be complete without something!
AHA! Britney!! Shoot the father wanted to give her some visitation and partial custody and the lawyers tried to work it out, but the justice system said no … not today. Well something like that. I’m guessing that the children want to know where the mother is and she is trying to find a good psych place to go for a while.

Everything takes time. K-Fed says he’ll bring the children to visit. Today’s not a good day for her … maybe another.

Maybe it would seem strange watching over Brit and Paris. Sometimes we don’t like how they are acting and other times we feel like today very protective over them. We feel in large they are put in terrible situations and are very misunderstood. I think if I just turned my interest away from them and others did the same, they would be much better, but then they do something wild again and we’re back to wondering why did they do that. Happens a lot with people we meet. We try to figure them out.

The more confusing they are to us – the more important it would seem. I see you often using your sense of humor to win people over, but you tease them too. That’s one of the things I love about you Thom is that you always have a sense of humor tucked right behind a sense of common sense. Like … “Well …” I don’t know if that makes sense, but it does .. you have a way of turning the card.

I wish I had some brother news for you. Again I’m thinking as I’m supposed to “no news is good news.” I might however call Maury on the way home from work. I usually keep my cell phone close just for this purpose. Most often I call just Maury or Rich, but I’m trying to do it more often with more people. Takes a little bravery to reach out. I think that its about time I leave for home. As I look out my work window I have a perfect image of the flag St. Rose Center flies next to our building. It’s become “Think of Thom flag.”

Oh – I almost forgot there’s something else … Last night I went to the chat room for recruit parents that was very well moderated. It runs most nights between 8:30-10:00 pm central time Sunday through Friday. Anyway I didn’t have a name that anyone could recognize (AnnBear), but there was someone there by the name of FOXSDI … he is supposed to be a drill instructor at your depot. Everyone was asking lots of questions so I asked him a couple. There was one question a parent asked about how you should be dressed. The DI said collared shirt, belt and pants, nothing torn or frayed, shirt tucked in. I thought that was good advice.

Then I asked is there anything I should tell my son as he’s waiting these last 3 weeks. The DI said, “Tell your son to move fast, scream loud, and do what he is told, when he is told.” Hmm, Man that was good wisdom.

Then later right before it ended I asked one more question that was kinda bothering me. I said Do you do something not real mean if the recruit has a “little” ego problem. The drill instructor stated, “Yes the quarter deck and the pit and also EMI during free time.” Well, all that sounded a little scary so I didn’t say anything more, but one of the other parents dared – she said, “What’s EMI?” He said, “Extra military Instruction.”

Man … Thom don’t mess with those guys! K?

Ok, better get going

Thinking of “ship-shape-son!”
Love you to pieces – MOM!!!