Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Mom Letter #3 - February 20, 2008 – Temp outside right now in Chicago 18 F.

Dear Thom,

Hey Thom , How are you?! How’s your feet, your tummy, and all the other parts?

If there is anything you need you could ask. But, then we’ve been warned that the marines want the recruits all having the same things so they don’t want us sending cookies or nothing. No, I don’t think you’ve had too many cookies in your life. Maybe pizza yes! Does the Marines feed you pizzas? Shoot, maybe not … better skip ahead. So – how are you doing? I have every confidence that you are going to make it.

Today the lady from SATO called back – that’s the Marines reservation place. She gave me the price of the travel arrangements for air – 2-way, hotel (nice!), and full-size car. It’s going to be ok! We have to talk to Rich though about what happens next. We told the lady that the one version is to “wait” to make sure that you got through, but the other version is to reserve now because the costs go up in June because of the summer travelers. I could see both view points. I’m going to wait at least as long as it takes to get my taxes back. I signed them and took getting them the slow way back – so, the end of this month. But, then I’ll probably get the reservations. I’m not going to want to add pressure to you, but was thinking that you are going to make it! We feel that strong about it!!

Rich and us usually split the bill – I think then I will take transportation with the airline tickets and car rental, and then he can get hotel and food. It comes out pretty even – within an estimated $40. I’ll want to take airline, because it’s the only thing we’ll have to pay upfront. The rest will be a cc reservation. The lady was saying that it is easier making a return trip on another day except a Sunday. I thought since we were in San Diego and I’d never been to CA and you were on your way to Hawaii  then we’d have a weekend out on the town. It might mean though catching a Monday morning flight back to beat the traffic. Some arrangements will have to be made because of the wheel chair. I can walk a few minutes, but most likely will need it the long days at your ceremonies and graduation. I can hardly wait and you haven’t even left yet. I know – just like you … one day at a time.

You keep breathing sensibly in and out … that’s the ticket!

So recruit – today? How was today? Were you up early? Out doing marching type things? Handling your rifle? Scrubbing with toothbrushes? You can skip any of these if they are bringing bad memories, ok? Are you making good friends? I hope that your new mail address is going to include which platoon you’re in … pretty excited that you’re going to be in the first battalion and Alpha Company. There’s always a chance you’ll get switched, but that seems to be a pretty cool one to get in. It’s at the front of the line! I’m not sure if that means you also closer to the bathrooms, but I’ll hope the best for you. Go Thom!

I don’t know anything about the people you are with yet. I’ve been reserving those thoughts. So far pretty much spending most of my time worrying that you are ok and such – AND just doing a lot of learning. I wake up doing strange things like downloading strange Marine acronyms. I just hope that some of it sticks. I was at the Marineparents.com website last night, but I wasn’t up to par – ended up falling asleep very early. I have to keep working hard, but there is a strong faction of myself that WANTS to be up at 8:30 pm to meet the other Recruit parents. Maybe not so much the DI’s. He was a little scary. Everything was answered short and terse.

There was a funny thing though. He was online in our chat room and he was with his wife. He was kind of hopelessly in love with her. That was sorta funny – we got a chance to see his sweetiebear side.  They have them – best that you don’t go looking for it though!

Hmm, anything we do otherwise? Not sure. We finished a couple of reports. And, I secured a presentation person to come in next week to my staff training meeting to talk about diabetes. That was kinda cool that it fell together. It made Sr. happy. He’s coming in from the American Diabetes and specializes in Chicago Spanish communities. Our group is 49% Spanish. It’s about 32% Black, 17% White, and 2% Asian. One of the other real nice things is that it didn’t cost anything. WoW!!!

Pretty Cool. We had a meeting earlier with Sister about Grants. I have a couple other leads with Microsoft – though I don’t feel hopeful there … think they are going after the big fish, but I came in contact with another grant list. We’ll go down that.

We are waiting for our state accreditation to happen … they do it within a range of time and its supposed to be any day now. I don’t know how much I will be leaned on. I’ve just got 10 clients now, but they are all perfect. The other two Q’s have 17 each, and their caseloads are in terrible shape … kinda lucky to pull out 3 or 4 in good shape. We’ll see how it goes. The center always scores real high on most things – Sr. sees to that. But, on case files – they’ll either tell us the ones they want – could be a real problem – because the other two Q’s have so many bad files. Or, they could just say – you pick the files meaning Sr. In that case, Sr. will just say Ann – go get four of your files … we’ll skip the other two – I don’t know what I would find there. Everything is to be expected.

I think your platoon is run different. Everyone is expected to pull his weight and you are probably all treated as the worst broken link – so it gives you a reason to pull together. There is something to be said about LESS independence and MORE working together.

I talked to Maury the other night on the way home. He was on his way to pick up the girls. It was his first day working with Chris. I think he had confirmed what he already knew that nothing had changed. Just happened that Chris was up. He got that from looking around the office and talking and seeing how things were being done. I think he feels frustrated that he can’t be taken more seriously. I know if I want to figure something out that takes some good common sense – I go to Maury.

He usually will tell me upfront if one of my thoughts or ideas is off-base. I think he sees pretty clearly. Probably coming from a disadvantage of not having enough financial security – but, I trust him to tell me something straight. Good Maury! I encouraged him to keep up those appointments with the other companies. I didn’t want to see him sliding into reverse – get too comfortable again.

Hmm, Just thinking my last Joe thought was that Maury said Alex had gotten him a sewing machine for his birthday and Maury chipped in a little. Joe had talked about him making his armor. I liked that idea a lot. But, now I wonder how you see it … as you might see the video games you’ve played for so long. Do they seem different to you now already? It’s a big transition from paint balls and pipe tubing weapons to rifles that are real. Not sure I’m quite making that transition yet myself, but I want you to make the transition, because I want you to be safe. Do what you need Thom to always be safe. I’m holding that image of you reporting that you’d shoot (from a distance) then “run like crazy!” Good Thom!! Be safe!

But, for the record – I will hold onto longer the image of Joe sitting comfortably under a dim life crafting his suit of armor. I don’t think I’d be ready to think of two of you in the marines. But, I can imagine that Joe has thought of it. I think if it weren’t for Sensei Steve he’d be thinking of it more. That would be like a lot to handle … this is a lot to handle, but I believe in you … I know you are strong. I know that you will pull all your good qualities forward and develop a new Thom that’s you plus new and improved – one that we haven’t even met yet. And were going to love the hell out of that one too – though we’ll have to go around saying this is my son, the Marine. Oh yeah, I can do it! Just practicing now. You still gotta work hard. No goofing around now! Well a little goofing around.

Accountants and Engineers on a Train

Three engineers and three accountants are traveling by train to a conference. At the station, the three accountants each buy tickets and watch as the three engineers buy only a single ticket.

"How are three people going to travel on only one ticket?" asks an accountant. "Watch and you'll see," answers an engineer. They all board the train. The accountants take their respective seats but all three engineers cram into a restroom and close the door behind them.

Shortly after the train has departed, the conductor comes around collecting tickets. He knocks on the restroom door and says, "Ticket, please." The door opens just a crack and a single arm emerges with a ticket in hand. The conductor takes it and moves on.

The accountants saw this and agreed it was quite a clever idea. So after the conference, the accountants decide to copy the engineers on the return trip and save some money (being clever with money, and all). When they get to the station they buy a single ticket for the return trip.

To their astonishment, the engineers don't buy a ticket at all. "How are you going to travel without a ticket?" says one perplexed accountant. "Watch and you'll see," answers an engineer.

When they board the train the three accountants cram into a restroom and the three engineers cram into another one nearby. The train departs.

Shortly afterward, one of the engineers leaves his restroom and walks over to the restroom where the accountants are hiding. He knocks on the door and says, "Ticket, please."

Top News Stories right now:

Feds forecasts inflation, unemployment due to housing slump and credit crunch. Ok, that’s enough about money … your good … we’re good … let’s just stay safe – no credit cards (just bank cards!)

Nasa is still savoring the return of the Atlantis – these were the 7 astronauts who delivered the European lab Columbus to the international space station. Wow! Big congrats to those folks! Think they want a “Do over!”

Teamsters back Obama! Teamsters are the 2nd biggest Union – that’s another 1.4 million people on O’bamas side. Hmm, do you know which union is bigger than the teamsters? Just an interesting little fact … Rich’s mother was a teamster and his mother's father was a teamster too umm, Rich is not … yah, I know go figure! The Mom's reported to be tough!

Hmm, they are still talking about the US Navy who is going to have an open 10-second window of opportunity to shoot down the satellite 150 miles up. Think that’s a developing story – more on that later!

Hmm, you probably understand this … NEW YORK (AP) - Wall Street has ended a choppy session with a big advance as investors apparently absorbed unpleasant signals about the economy with unusual equanimity. Wall Street is finding comfort from the notion that the Federal Reserve isn't overly concerned about inflation. But earlier in the day, a somewhat worse than expected consumer inflation report did send stocks falling. The Dow Jones industrials are up about 90 points at the 12,427 level, according to preliminary calculations.

This one is interesting too, but I wish I could show you the picture …. Sony announced Tuesday that it will spend $200 million on OLED development and production. OLED, a next-generation display technology, can be made extremely thin and flexible because they are built from organic carbon materials. OLED displays are currently prohibitively expensive and small--Sony's newest $2500 OLED-TV is only 11 inches--and a drive towards larger and cheaper displays may explain Sony's huge investment in the technology.

Ok, there is some good news for Britney here …. They have put the breaks on her driving-without-a-license-case now because they don’t believe she is capable of resolving the matter. Pshwoo. I think SOMEthing is going in her direction. But, just for the record – let’s not have her out there driving, k?

Wow … Ok, I’ve had enough news then … you too? I think we need to get back to the part where we’re just talking about what a good son you are. I am hoping my letter writing skills to you improve. I don’t want you to say “that’s ok Mom – nice try.”

Please don’t say that. I enjoy this time I feel like I’m sharing something of this world with you. I am trying to imagine now you are stretched out in your cot or are leaning against a building outside or something where you get to be a little more reflective. I wonder if I’ve given you anything important to think of? Maybe I’ve missed my mark there – let me try one more time … I’ll try to be clear.

Thom. Keep doing what you are doing … try hard … do good. That’ll be YOU!!! I’m proud of you for being Thom!!!

I love you to pieces!
Mom!