Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Just a few Saturday notes

Good morning. It’s just me. It is late in the morning about 11:50 am as I start.

I’m not sure how far I will get, but I think Rich has a couple of things to do this afternoon/evening as he had this morning. He’s gotten a new contract, which means that he’ll be shifting around some of his other work, to be getting this new work done. I think he’s planning on giving up on some of the officiating baseball and time at JVS to do so. He’s got a couple month’s vacation time at JVS – so will be taking off half days for the next 6-8 weeks. The other contract seems to be this much worth it. Honestly? I think he’s thinking this will take care of 1/3-1/2 of the cost of his new boat. NOOOO … we’re not saying he’s made that official decision yet, but this sure be a good thing on behalf of that.

Rich is also planning to be gone for fishing very soon again. He had gone last week with his regular monthly group, and he’s going on Friday to Canada for a week with his best buddies. I think there are 8 going this year. He’s going to fish his heart out. Then the week or two after he has another fishing weekend planned with the regular monthly group. Besides this … he will catch a couple times with his bestest buddy whose also going on these other trips – BUT, has a boat. I know … I know … just mentioned Rich was getting more work! Well, he’s getting more work AND more vacation. You’d have to do the math yourself to better understand. It must be something way past my algebraic knowledge. There are other competitions for time as well. He’s still got the card group and the golf guys to account to, plus family, and anything else.

Ok, ok … let’s get down to the specifics. When is Ann time. Well, this morning it was after I’d woken up and before going back to bed about 5:30 am. It was AHEM a short visit. BUT, then there was last night! WoohOOO was that sweet! We umm hung around and I got to cuddle in his arms as we watched a movie … and well, whatever.

Enough said. I think between two sets of diets we’re both looking forward to new stamina levels. WOOHOOO and YAHOOTOO! Ok, shhh, nuf about that … don’t want to embarrass anyone.

I did want to say before going on – that although I don’t often stop to recognize who might be reading … there are a couple of additions that make it a desirable thing to note. There are only 6 people who have permission to read the blog. Rich of course could – we leave it up on our screen when we leave in case he ever wants to check up on us, but I don’t think he does read. He’s not against the blog … far from it. He appreciates that this is one of the most important things we do for ourselves. AND, he knows he’s included often, and seems ok with that – he might think its better not to know exactly what we’re saying and that’s ok with us too.

My son Maury has permission to read the blog as does Dr. Marvin. I don’t think either of these two do read the blog, but I thought it was important that they’d give us permission to include them as important people in my life that someday might wonder what all happened to us. If all else failed – it be a good idea to check-in on the blog. The next set of folks is V (Vince) and Deb. They’re pictures are on the right side of the blog. V’s one of my oldest friends. Our lives seem to be going in different directions, but I met him about 5 years ago when we first started our blogging over on AOL. The link to that journal is also over on the right. Deb is also an old friend from the aol Journal days. I don’t think she comes over to read often, but she’s put in a gazillion hours in reading the journal long after most had stopped. It’s been V though that has read probably everything I’ve ever written from the old blog to this and several in-between. He used to read when I was in school all my classroom work as well. I owe him a great deal of devotion.

The newest potential readers of the blog are Lynn and Vickie. They don’t really know each other too much, but I’ve become friends with both through Marineparents.com. Both have been invited to pop in whenever they would like. I appreciate both for coming over to give it a try.

Not many get permission to read – nor would most want to read. You all know how terribly lengthy and insignificant I can be… Imagine talking for hours, about my latest gripe at work, to cleaning the kitchen, to bragging about one of my kids or grandchildren. I don’t use the blog to write to people so much – at least no one in specific. I use the blog for me to get out my thoughts and mark my time on this here Earth. I have the goal that one day – my grandchildren, and/or theirs could come by and want to know who we all are. We as to the multiple function of our “internal system.” Oh sure – they too may think were crazy, but given enough time, they might know me as well if not better than I know myself and that gives me the inspiration to go forward. PLUS, it just relieves a lot of anxiety and time on my hands. This is my solution (besides the zoo) as to what I should or could be doing while Rich is out and sometimes even when he is in.

During the last 3 ½ months – you all most likely know that I’ve spent quite a bit of my time over at MarineParents.com. I don’t think that will be happening as much in the future. I still spent time this morning poking around and dropping a few notes, but unless they choose me to be a volunteer – it’s just set up differently now to not become quite so involved. Other than that there was the time I had been spending writing. Thom’s mail from home grew to be about 1 foot tall. Now Thom has the cell phone and we’re looking forward to hearing from him in person - maybe even this weekend. I’ll be sure to let you know. We haven’t been but might pick up the writing we had been doing to the volunteer groups. One was for the group of Marines getting care packages in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the other group was Marines who have become sick or injured during their duty time. I have to reclarify my position before thinking through all that again.

I’m trying to hold out a little time toward helping Rich if I can. I know that he’s going to be super busy this summer. He’s asked so far only to have me figure out why the new scanner isn’t working and to maybe help him with the housework. Hmm.

Ok, this isn’t the kind of helping I might glorify, but it’s all well-understood.

There’s a little fear into it in that if I did this kinda work, maybe he would get used to thinking I should do it all the time, or might even be enjoying it UGH!!!

That might just as well be terrible. Very few parts in our system like doing housework. We prefer being at the computer every available minute, though we know we need to tear ourselves away and get outside to walk. Hmm, one new note there.

Rich says the first check he gets, he’s going to be redoing the back bedroom to allow placement of a new some kind of bike. He also says that he will use it so will set-up one of the TVs in the room.

We’re hoping that it’s a long while before he gets to that point, but we can see the writing on the wall.

Mmm, that reminded us that it was about 12:30 pm now and that we should be doing something for lunch. So we made ourselves a high protein drink. 20 grams of protein from the cookies and crème powder mix, about 1 1/3 cup milk, one banana and a couple small spoonfuls of sugarless chocolate powder. And then, mix well in the bullet. Mmm, we’ve been fooling around with our recipes trying to get the protein in, but this happens to be one of the best concoctions. The new element this time was adding the little bit of chocolate. Rich is a big advocate of saying don’t worry about the calories – you barely break 1000 a day. I know he’s right and others have reminded me that I should throw my numbers work aside, but I’m that little bit obsessive where things like this still count.

So, how are we doing this week? I think pretty good. It’s been a losing week.

That’s in contradiction to about 2 weeks of staying on the same number. Last Sunday we were 282.0 and this morning we were 278.2. That puts us at about 29 pounds over the last 5 weeks since surgery and almost 60 for the year. It seems like a little number because my ambitions are so great, but more than likely it is a good number for the procedure I had. I think I’ve heard of some people losing 50 the first month, but surely those people were doing much more toward exercise. Either that or they were guys much more prone to lose the bigger numbers.

Hmm, I just got a letter from my mother. It’s funny, but I don’t really think of myself as having family most days. I guess the weekend is time to catch up with things. Maybe I will give her and/or my sister a call this weekend. I should probably write or call a few of my cousins too. I don’t want to become neglectful.

Just the time and space have to be carved out just write. I think this weekend Rich had things like going to see his friend wrestle, seeing another friend he’s not been with for the last couple of months, and then one other thing, that I forget. That make it a little easier to make the calls or write the letters, but again it would be on my time and call. I think most family don’t call first, they wait for me to make the move, because for so long, I was being out of touch.

Hmm, seems like Sweetie is on his way home! I just called. He says he has to stop for gas and then it will be just a few moments. Pretty sure he wasn’t going to fill up while in the city – too high! He said then he was going to get something to eat and then start the packing for his big fishing trip. Chances are I will take a break there and help him. Well, no. I don’t really do much helping, but I give him my best support anyway. It usually means I lay on the bed in back of the suitcase and offer all kinds of kindly conversation. This is something I think we do at about a 12 year old age. It always seems that we’re watching a big person packing and getting ready. It will also probably mean that he’s going to want to start washing clothes for the week. Hmm. Maybe we could have done that while he was gone, but he seems to have a system – AND it would require that we got dressed.

YEEKS! Oh Oh … he’s going to want us dressed anyway. AND showered!

Hmm, maybe I better think of that seriously. Is this something that we want or at least BELIEVE we should be doing. We know he would say yes, but that would mean stepping away from the computer. Are we ready to be doing that? Oh man … no one said this was going to be easy, hmm? I wonder if he is going to have time to take us for a walk. Now we’re feeling like the puppy sitting at the back door. Take us out! Take us out! I promise I won’t stop at the hydrant, really! Yah right. Like us shopping yesterday. I’m SURE these cookies aren’t bad for you … they have raisons! Or, These muffins are low in fat … I’m sure THAT’s good for you! *Sad note* Well, we got a few things like individual cups with pineapple, but we never get to go hog wild. HMPF!

Ok, ok … we’ll be back Might as well take a quick shower and be on his better half!