Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Sunday, June 15, 2008

WooHOO!!! Pictures are up!

Good morning. I guess we’re in for the long haul. We’d been using our Internet – then all of a sudden out of nowhere, it just stopped working. It was about 4:30-4:45 am. I called Comcast to make sure I’d pay the bill, but they said that was all good. She’s going to try getting someone out here over the weekend yet, but there are no guarantees. She might be putting me on a track that goes nowhere. Then it suddenly dawned on me that I have a son who is a COMCAST tech. I don’t think he would appreciate a call 5 am in the morning. I don’t know what’s the matter with the boys, but they really dislike that kind of stuff, HMPF! Maury has a very busy weekend because he is getting ready for Isa’s baptism. It will be tomorrow, plus I don’t know if he’d need equipment that was in his van. So again, I might be out for the long run. *Sigh*

Right now Missy’s giving me solace. She got upset when I got upset and then now I have to project the caring part to taking care of her – INSTEAD of me! Damn don’t know how they do it. They are a wiley bunch. Pshwoo. There she goes. I hope I didn’t insult her.

It’s been a long while since I woke up with only the goal of writing in my blog. I don’t know if I will mail letters to Thom anymore since he has the phone. I think the communication ability was better that way and I know he is saving up all his letters. He motioned how his stack of letters was about a foot high. Pshwoo. I guess we were writing rather frequently. He says he’s now read them all. He’s only going to be at MCT one month before he transfers to his school. I don’t recall if I’ve said that or not, but he’s going to be a non-voice intercept operator/analyst and he’s going to the Center for Information Dominance – Corry Station in Pensacola, Florida. I think that’s about all we’re going to really know about it. I think everything else is pretty top secret. *Sigh* Just as well that way. I don’t want to be responsible for not telling government secrets. I know Thom is good at that kind of stuff though. He won’t say anything that will get him or anyone else in trouble.

The Thom home week has been going pretty well. When I get back on-line, I will copy out the segment that we wrote yesterday about Thom being at work giving the presentation. I can say now though that it was a beauty!!!! Great, great speaker – the kind that makes your heart trip over in pride and excitement. I’ll wait on that though.

Hmm, we just checked it out – Rich left $100 for our membership to the zoo. Ours expired in April. We get the membership that allows unlimited free admission for both Rich and me, free parking, free subscription to Zoo Views and monthly email updates, discounts at restaurants, shops and seasonal attractions and discounts on special education programs, events, and lectures. Plus we can bring up to 3 grandchildren free, a free guest free admission to the play zoo and another to the children’s zoo. And, we also get free dolphin show tickets and motor safari tickets. WooHOOO!!! All for $101 a year. We’re definitely going for it. I think today will be the day. Rich left the money saying don’t spend it on anything BUT the zoo and I’m supposed to walk both days. I sorta feel like it because I think it will help build my strength and help loose maybe a couple more pounds. This morning we were down to 282.8. That’s a good number that will only lower itself. 25 pounds since surgery … 55 on the year. This is significant, right?

Last night we got a little emotionally off-balance with the eating. We got not outwardly frustrated, but inwardly and then we tried taking down a whole lean cuisine meal. I should have guessed from the start that that wasn’t going to stay down. I’m pretty sure this is under the realm of emotional eating. It actually didn’t stay down and then we were left with a frustrated feeling like, why the Hell did we just do that?! Didn’t help anyone out and wasted a good dinner.

In general, we had a very bad time with doctor Marvin. I think we wrote about that already. Basically, we were just mad. He thought it had something to do with Rich being gone, us missing a session – and then even though we were on vacation, we blamed Dr. Marvin for abandoning us. No, nothing here has to make sense. We’re just watching how life just slips through our fingers. Whoops got the kitties upset again. Oh oh started petting a kitty and now he wants up and to be comforted.

Give them an inch they’ll take a mile.Ok, you settle down in front. Thank you.

Yeeks. He laid his heavy chest part over my left wrist … that’s not going to work out for long for either one of us. I get smothered and he gets bounced around a lot more. He’s getting away with murder! Well, though he is humming nicely. I guess that’s something. ACK but, not enough … we need to use that wrist ALL DAY! Ok, there that’s better reshuffled and now have only his chin resting on the arm.

Whoever would think these guys are spoiled would be right.

OH NO! Don’t you start playing with my pens! We’ve bounced a kitty before and we’d do it again! He’s obviously up to no good. I saw him messing with Missy too. It’s trouble he’s after dagnabbit! Ok, ok shhhh. Let’s not get an attitude just because someone wants a little attention. EVEN though his tail is being sneaky like a snake! AHA! Snake! That’s what we got … a snake in the grass, well at least one up on the table. NOOO, not me! The cat! You all get confused SOOO easy! Pay attention, please!

You ever notice how innocent they look about things? Oh no just laying here minding my own business. That’s what he WANTS you to think. HMPF!

Ok, shhhh … we really do not want to get stuck on pure kitty chatter all day, do we?

Hmm, been a long time since we did this kind of writing though … can’t remember what we used to talk about for long hours and hours at a time. I think we had said something a day or two ago of finishing the report from the trip. But I don’t know where we left off. I think between all writing means we’ve got things pretty much down. Just not all the details. I think though that’s all pretty much past and were for the most part moving along to new stuff. Or at least new stuff to THIS week. You know in general that Monday we helped Thom with his bills and gave him our graduation present of the books. I think he appreciated that, especially because he’s confident that he’s going to surge ahead. Then on Tuesday he went to work and then went to lunch. That was a good visit too. We had hoped we’d get him last night with his brothers, but he ran out of time. Still trying to squeeze it to pieces getting it all in. Our last hope was Monday, but it turns out that’s the day he planned to be with Austin, his son. They are going camping in Laura’s back yard. I think that would be a blast! Austin has a step father – or someone close to that. But, I think he really appreciates the time that Thom can give him. He knows that is his Dad. Hmm, wait I think we have a picture!







This is the grandson … you barely ever get to see or hear about. Now just imagine he’s out in a tent with his Marine Dad. Ah what a happy face he would have. He looks sort of like me – you just have to squint. He’s got his great grandfather’s eyes though. And, his face looks more like mine when it gets skinny. Thom’s got my face – It’s more delicate than not … just not so delicate with all the weight, but then that’s going too, so maybe we’ll get back down to business. He sure is a good looking kid, hmm? And, I know he makes his Daddy proud. Going to need working hard now not to be staring into those priceless eyes.

Ok, you … break away … should have never started that subject. Now we’re missing him again. Let it go you, let it go. Someday we’ll meet and I’ll be able to stand next to him proudly. He won’t have known that overweight moose that used to be his Grandma. Maybe I won’t look so scary then as if I ate children or something. I really don’t ya know. It just seems like it per belly size. Eating healthier now, right?

Ok, moving along. I’m kinda wondering what it would take to move Chief. My hand is pretty numb by now. And, Missy isn’t so happy she’s not joined the bunch up here.

None of it though seems to faze Chief. He’s comfortable and that’s all that matters in his book. Dear … Kitties … you can’t live with them and you can’t live without them! There we had a little talk.



Alls well that ends well. He’s not the happiest kitty now, but we needed to sort out that business. Yup, yup. Really have a cat. I know unfair treatment to cats.

Not fair that we got so many kitty advocates around here! Ok, you let that go too!

AHA! Do you realize that someone hasn’t taken her medicine yet and its about that time? Ok, you know the routine … and don’t come back until you get the job done right! Yes ma’am.

Ahh and cottage cheese too! Good deal. Ack more kitties! No, you’re not interested, shoo! Man … what’s a person to do to get some privacy here? You’d think I was community property or something.

Ok, settle down.

I keep thinking about all those pictures that we have to download yet. Haven’t looked at them since we’ve been back.

Pswhoo! Ok, got that done. They are all downloading. We’ve got our poor camera on battery recharge. Need to figure out how to erase the disk. There’s about 1670 pictures on it, which really slows down the loading. The San Diego pictures were about 650.



The first picture was taken on family day. Thom is in Platoon 1002 front and center. We were so proud of him. 1002 was the Honor Platoon – which, meant they did better than the other platoon, even when they made things harder so the others had a chance. (118) Can you see why its easy to confuse your son with someone elses? They said not to worry about who you hugged because there was a good chance another parent was having trouble too and hugged your son in return.



This is Thom’s Drill Instructor … we’re pretty sure he wanted a picture of him!

Hehehe I have a lot of pictures with visitors heads messing things up … but we’re trying to let go of that. (120)



This is Thom’s platoon – the second one coming toward the stands on Graduation day.

MCRD’s yellow buildings were everywhere – they are all painted the same. And those arches sweep down the field and are at least a couple of blocks long. This area though in front of the flags is the parade ground. (143) It was sacred no non-civilian was to walk on it. It seemed bigger than a football field.



There was a lot of ceremonious type things going on, (155) which included the band (157). This picture is of some of the uppity-ups … Even they had to run the 3.5 miler and march in straight lines.



The band was very good and sounded like everything on marching band should sound like. The Marine Hymn was my favorite.



This is Thom’s platoon … I believe there were about 76 Marines in it. They looked so terrific. (167) could you imagine fitting all those uniforms and covers and shoes one by one? It must be quite a system.

There were 5 platoons all together adding up to about 380 Marines total. They were massive in size (175)





These are the guys with the 3 drill instructors standing at parade rest. So proud of all of them for what they were able to accomplish. I never saw any of them not react like all the others. Extremely well disciplined. Graduation ceremony was something that no parent should ever miss. (184)



I thought I’d throw this one in for good measure. This is Maury, his step mother, his father peering out from in back and then a partial picture of the step brother-Marine and the head of the boys’ grandmother. These are the only shots I have of them. I think everyone was pretty tolerant all together. (196) Keep imaging though for every picture shown, there are at least 20-25 more that aren’t being shown. We took about 650 pictures while we were gone. No don’t worry you won’t have to look at all of them!



This was the pier we had lunch after graduation – just me and Rich. We were the only ones out here at the time and had well-developed sunburn in the making. The view was beautiful and the sounds of water lapping and boats passing was very rewarding (201)



It was sunny, but breezy and spectacular. In the background between the dock to your left and the white charter boat is an airplane carrier. There were 3 there WITH planes on them in various stages of repair. (205)

This is a picture Rich took of us with the beautiful coast line in the background.



This place was about 15 miles north of San Diego. And as a side … was the place there were going to be holding a national tournament where all those silly people jump of the cliff holding onto a sail. I think Paragliding? (209)



Those waves are, mesmerizing aren’t they? This is a view from the other side of the cliff. It was so beautiful. Rich took these last couple of pictures. He sure did see some beautiful stuff. It was too steep for me where he took this last one.



This was the stage at Sea World. You can see a whale in the water to your mid-right. Those screens went back and forth and were really impressive. (274) But the stars of the show was Shamu’s friends (287)



These mamals were outstanding … they jumped splashed, twirled and waved! We were in the soak zone and I didn’t want to get the camera wet, so I didn’t get any pictures of them in action. But, you can’t help but be awed, when they come up straight from the bottom holding a trainer straight up on the tip of their snout. Just a wonderful show!



They have a terrific crowd of people to see them. These seating areas filled all the way up to capacity and your only seeing about a quarter of the seating area.

That white area is for Shamu’s friends to swoop into. They fill it up and turn in a complete 360 circle while flat on their tummy! (299)



While Rich and I were at Sea World and then later at the zoo, we took tram rides. They only cost $3, the lines weren’t too bad and the views were GREAT! (313)



This was the stage for the sea lions and sea otters. They did a parady of the whole of Sea World including mimicking what the whales could do. They had a male actor named “Bif” though who really ran away with the show. The animals played up the things he was doing. (314)

The park was in fantastic shape, though I think the San Diego zoo had more going on scenrywise. We saw a couple of animals shaped by greenery like this Camel. They must pay the grounds people mega bucks! (320)





We took pictures of a lot of animals and birds when we got to the zoo. I’ll let this fella represent them. Everything was scultped into the background and there were a lot of ups and downs – not too many straightaways. It was a challenge for Rich, but for the most part we walked up down the steep hills by foot. (362)



Well just one or two more shots of the zoo. These two were the most amiacable pair on the terrain. I’m not sure if you can see it well, but this is a picture of an oItter and a baby monkey wrestling. They could represent the United Nations! (393)



Everything at the zoo was green. This was the only sign that humans had really encroached negatively. I’m pretty sure the word Texas is not native to the bamboo (399)



This was a pretty good picture of the hippos. They shared this really neat aquarium with these next fellas – the little fishies. Rich and I studied the fishes for a bit because he was figuring out how they gather and cluster under water toward his fishing goals! (407) (411)





Behind this exibit were the rare to find in zoo Panda’s. We only saw the picture though because it was the longest line in the park. Maybe next time? (425)
These gizmos made some of the climbing more bearable. They also had tour buses taking you up and down the steeper parts. I couldn’t believe people put escalators right in the middle of green vegetation OUTSIDE! (443)



It was like a ride up to visit God!



The avery was the best I ever saw. It really felt out in the wild. It was very large and comfortable and put you eye to eye with many of the birds. (461)
Again … a lot of scenery visually put together by taking the tram rides.



(504)






I haven’t mentioned in a while what a stupendous partner I had … we worked like one – cept he got the bigger servings and the harder pushing. We were both impressed by what we were seeing – even though we looked pretty touristy. That’s the way to go in Rome! (521)



We spent some good time studying the flamingoes. Ahh now I recal … this is when Rich got the Italian Ice to share. Shoot I could then watch flamingoes all day! (559) Ya know … these guys don’t always like each other. Watched a couple sets of irritable birds! Did you get a glimpse too of those nesting mounds? This might be one of the reasons the birds were so territorial.

Rich was pretty sure I didn’t need to take a Giraffe home with me, but he did purchase a little shamu at Sea World. He’s about the size of dog and has been sleeping with us ever since we got home. (574).



I don’t think enough could be said about having rented the car and GPS, bringing the wheel chair and our buddy Rich. Don’t think you could imagine someone more gentlemanly than him. He’s just my bestest friend! (587)



Everywhere we looked there were interesting things to see, especially the buildings and the palm trees. San Diego seemed very clean and low key with lots of sand colors and arches. There was one thing though … never did I see stop lights move so slow on red. Sheesh … let’s move on ladies! (610)





This is where we had our last meal. The scenery maintained its inspiration and we had crab cakes that stayed down! WooHOO!! Not everything did. We didn’t get a picture of the cruise ship we took on Friday night with Maury and the boys. Somehow I figured Thom would be embarrassed by it. It was a more ritzy place (634)



AHA! You didn’t just see that, but if you did PLEASE note there were TWO straws – his and her! And Mmm she was tasty! (638) She was also the whole extent of us drinking while away … well except those two Bloody Mary’s and … oh just skip it!

I think this next one will be my last shot. Every time a ship went past that was different we’d take another picture. This one was my favorite. (647)



It be nice to be a sailor on one of these well and if we were strong and tough-like



Well, one last shot. This is the last one we took. It had started to get dark, which signified that it was time to get back on the airplane. It was a marvelous trip. I’m so glad we went. Maybe though as a focus … we’ll leave one more picture. If it weren’t for this guy – none of it would have mattered. Thing is Thom graduated and he did it in style! Bravo THOM!!! My hats off to you! (117)

May you ever long march forward!



Hmm, it’s 10:30 now … we’ve been here for quite a while and my fingers are running chilly. I think I’m going to grab a shower and then check out the weather for our OWN zoo. By now the camera battery is all set again. Sheesh what would have happened without a camera or the old days you had to pay even for the flub-ups. Just an amazing world we live in!



Ok, back to me again. I think …

It’s almost time to go to the zoo. Obviously my Internet is still down … and I HAD made a deal I’d go walking for Rich. Kind of slow making that happen. Let’s see.

I need bag, camera, battery, water, purse with money, envelope. Ok, now all that’s gathered … Do I have whatever it is to brave it out? Can we do it? How do we keep ourselves calm? It’s been a while since we went to the zoo on our own with the chair. Ok, like dudette! What else were you planning on doing? This is kinda the big event for the day, ya know! Just gotta take it slow … there’s no reason to rush ourselves through it. Sure wish I knew where that pedometer was. We found the broken one, but not the one that works. What are my goals … how do I keep myself up for it. Sure not going to be fancy like at the other zoo.



AHA! The before and after. Pswhoooo. That was hard! BUT, we got this nice new bottle! WooHOO. It came with a giant cherry slurpee. That one went down, plus another bottle of water. It’s hot out there. No more pictures though, cuz we’re pretty sure we’re going to be nekid next!

Oh yeah ... this is the part I'd wanted to copy before from MarineParents.com Thom just did a fantasticmastic thing!!!

We wanted to add in to the conversation in general. I am waiting to see if I will get dinner out with the boys tonight. It’s 6-6:30 pm and tentative plans have been made for 7 – 7:30 pm for a late dinner after Thom’s older brother gets off of work. I tried calling all three boys about two hours ago and so far no response. I’m crossing my fingers though … I have no reason to believe something won’t happen tonight. Someone will call - hoping free dinners still count in the big picture. The boys have a tendency to hang loose, and I don't mind if he makes his bed over at his Dad's place. :) I think this will be the last time I get to see him – unless he hasn’t made plans for Monday yet. We’ll have to wait to see how that turns out. He told me he didn’t want me to miss another day of work, but you know how that goes. What’s work next to an opportunity to spend time with son?

We had a very good day on Tuesday when we’d arranged for Thom to come to work. He gave a 45 minute presentation to 45 clients (adults with Developmental disabilities) and staff. I couldn’t have been more proud of him. He crossed mental barriers to connect positively with the group. I had no idea he was such a good speaker. I did know that he's generally very entertaining. We talked loosely about the kinds of questions the group might be interested in ahead of time. He seemed to hold the information in his head and kept the audience captivated. Well, some a little too captivated. Some of the young women started divvying him up as to who got to keep him as their boyfriend. You can’t beat a young man in uniform to turn young women’s eyes googley. Thom talked about a lot of things that would interest them and afterward there was a chance to ask questions. The group asked some pretty cool things. It showed how invested they'd become in his experience. At one point when he was talking about the crucible, he gave a demonstration of how he’d gone up the hill optimistically, then found himself bent over, then on and on until he demonstrated how he had to CRAWL up the last part. The group giggled and laughed at all the right spots so we knew they were really paying attention. Thom stood the entire time as if he were giving a talk to upper command. He held his hands in back of him and looked so professional, we haven’t stopped crooning. Everyone was just captivated including Thom’s Mom and boss! On Thursday we got the colored pencils out and most of the individuals we served were able to make Thank you cards that we’ll present to Thom when we see him. A lot of pictures drawn with individualized takes on his uniform. They said he was VERY handsome. This is the kind of community experience that is priceless for a life to come.

After the presentation, we stopped by at my ex’ and my old favorite restaurant La Majada in Oak Park where we’d been the night before Thom was born. He had called his grandmother on the way over and ended up double booking lunch, so we split an order of enchiladas – I could only eat about a quarter of one and couldn’t do the extras. No problem with a young Marine at hand. I will remember later how we got to go out just the two of us. We’re finding we don’t have much to talk about that’s prophetic, but that doesn’t seem to matter. Just want to feel near him. I hope we are exuberating our pride in him in a way that he can hold us after we’re gone. We feel tremendously bubbly when we put ourselves in thoughts of him. I think like many of you might be figuring … it’s not quantity, its quality time that counts. Don’t you just love the h*)(*& out of them!?? I can’t say enough of what it feels like to share Thom with some of the most important people of my life. I know he loves me … I also know things are more “formal” around me in comparison to being around the guys. I’m thriving on our own pride in self for being the kind of Mom Thom can appreciate, while excusing him to play “rougher” with the guys. You know where they are free to swear and be nano-cool. The boys have long spoken to me of not being clingy – and being more independent of them. I’d like to leave this week thinking … I did some of my stronger selves. OohRAH!


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VPM PFC Thom's Mom - Ann
1st RTBN, Alpha Co., Plt 1002, SD, 6/6/08

It's about "all" of us