Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Mom's Letter #10 - March 4, 2008 - Reporting weather from Chicago to be 31 mid-afternoon

Dear Thom,

Hey Thom! You get another letter from me today, because we have a little more time to spend. It’s about 2:30 pm on Tuesday afternoon. We meaning Rich and us just got back from the Doctor’s and doing some errands. He said a nice check had come in that he didn’t expect, so that if I let him work a couple hours he’d take me to the Italian place for dinner. I figure that’s fair. We put him through the ringer today.

Rich has been to the nutrionalist doctor and other with me this morning and afternoon and he had a lot of information about what we would and would not be eating after the surgery and what would be done in the surgery with my stomach and intestines. We offered to show him a video through You Tube, but he’s really sure he doesn’t want to see it. *Sigh*.

Pretty much though the visits went fine and I’m looking great. I made weight! I had to be at 15-20 pound loss and I was at 19 plus 7 more gained and lost when we went over that. We are being real steady with the weight now. Good job! Just gotta get through one more doc visit on Thursday and I should be set. He’s the goofy one though and I’m not sure what he’ll say after reading Dr. Marvin’s appointment last Thursday. We might want to check on that … think I’ll write Dr. Marvin a note.

Ok, that’s done … nothing to do, but wait … anyway … I think Rich is taking me out now as a means to talk me out of the surgery … see you really like food so much you don’t want to be surgically removed from it? But, unfortunately that’s the problem I’m not in control of my eating, so I’m going to accept this tool. It’s permanent, but that’s ok … it’s got to be. Dr. Berger today told Rich that there’s a good chance that within about a month’s time there’s a chance that the weight loss in the first month could be significant enough to cure the diabetes and sleep apnea. I’m not hoping for that much … but, it’s reason enough. I think with that I could add several years to my life … and the years would be more enjoyable. So, I’m looking forward. Hopefully surgery at the beginning of May.

We’ll see. Rich wants me to schedule it around fishing … He says if I plan right my 3 days in the hospital will coincide with his 3 day trip out and he won’t have to worry about taking care of me during that time. I think that be lonely at the hospital, but even that we’ll consider – just as long as we’re good to go by the time of your graduation. We’re looking so forward! I never imagined a Marine son.

You know this is the gushing proud Mom again.

Hmm, we’re asking now for Rich’s April and May fishing dates. Ok, this is it

April 24, 25, 26 & 27th
May 15, 16, 17 & 18th
June 12, 13, 14 & 15th

Those are the dates I shouldn’t have surgery. We’ll again shoot for the first week in May just to make sure. *Sigh* We can do this … just gotta be patient.

I continued reading on in your Chevron newspaper. One of the articles was about, “Commandant holds depot town hall meeting. This was Commandant General James T. Conway on February 7th. He spoke on Global War and Terrorism including progress, troop movement and deployment lengths. He said the Marines are dedicated to 7 month deployments not like the army’s 15-month shots. He said that their goal is to get
an additional 27,000 Marines without lowering standards – this would take place through the recruiters efforts. They were real sure of not losing their elite identity of holding top standards. This effort was so they could deploy a rotation for seven months and have Marines stateside then for 14 months before the next deployment. Heheh he talked something about tattoos – not sure what’s going on there and it seems they are talking about GI bill going toward dependents as well as the enlistee. In general … excuse the pun … it was a big morale booster.

Ahh this is cool there is going to be an upcoming Western Division Rifle and Pistol Match at Wilcox Range, Camp Pendleton march 13 to 28th … maybe you will have heard of it after you get there. Hopefully by then letters will start going through. The Marines from your depot were involved in a competition to see who would represent them at the match. I guess on the day it was held it was cold, windy and rainy so that was messing with people. While some thought it was awful others thought it was awesome – saying that’s what it’s all about.

To be continued from work...