Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Mom Letter #9 - March 4, 2008 - Reporting weather from Chicago to be 30 still early in morning

Dear Thom,

Good morning! Or, maybe good evening to you. How are you doing today? At the time of writing this letter, it is Tuesday, or 5 days from the recruiter picking you up. Time is going quickly.

I talked to Maury by IM yesterday. He said that it was arranged with you and Joe and maybe even Alex that we’d go out on Saturday to a place called Flattop Grill.

He wasn’t sure of the time … he said we’d play that part by ear. I think he was just making that suggestion. He said it was an all you can eat place so that everyone could eat as much as he wanted. That be good considering 4 possibly hungry males. Today we’ll be seeing the nutritionalist and the Nutritionalist Doctor for the surgery so I’m thinking I’ll have to be eating lite *sigh* As long as everyone is happy, we’re happy.

By this time – the time you get this letter – you’ll have known what we did so maybe it will provide you with a good memory. Let’s remember how happy everyone was and how excited you were because tomorrow was the big day! By now you are a well experienced recruit. Kind of know more what to expect. You’ve gotten past those first few weeks, and you’ll know who your DI is and who some of your buddies are AND you know that you’ll just be getting stronger and stronger! This is the good part.

I think they call the depot “The Man Factory” or something close to that. I’m hoping and praying that you are in good health and are staying strong physically and mentally. Cuz, you know that’s what’s gotta happen, right!??

As to around here? Things have been going pretty easy. We had a doctor appointment yesterday that went pretty well and ruled out some things that seemed a little on the scary side. That was good news! All full-forward! University of IL – UIC is very careful to check everything preventively. I have a very good doctor who stays on top of the diabetes. She also had me in for the eye tests, which can also be a problem for diabetes – and, I passed that with flying colors – although I had to order a slightly stronger prescription. That part is natural as you grow older. It had been two years.

Rich had come with me because they had to dilate my eyes and then we had a nice taco salad for dinner. I only ate half – woohoo!!! I fell asleep giving him a back rub and then woke up about 8:30 pm to go to bed proper. We’ve got a part that is adamant about getting a fudgical (sp?) before bed. It’s kind of a deal since they are only 40 calories. It takes us about 2 ½ minutes to fall asleep afterward.

Maybe you too?

I can imagine they work you very hard. I’m thinking there must be a sense of security going to bed with all those people in that you are not alone … plenty of company? I’ve seen pictures of people trying to scramble quickly out of bed to be lined up quickly and mostly dressed when the DI comes in very noisily. I’m pretty sure that happens. I don’t know if you are used to that happening yet. But, we’re hoping for the best. They say a little toward the beginning people feel like “why did I do this?” But, that part wears off and after a while, it is something that you again feel very excited to be a part of … I hope that the excitement part takes over pretty quick. This could be something that would be like the time of your life!

Especially the camaraderie part of doing this with others that you get to be very close to. We’re also keeping those leadership skills of yours in the back of our mind. We’re hoping you get an opportunity to use them. Keep steady with all that, k? We believe in you Thom!

Hmm, what else as to home front … Our lives are pretty cozy. Mostly just what goes on with Rich and us and the two kitties. Rich is all good. Let me see any particular Rich story for the day? Hmm, he’s looking forward to fishing season starting … he says that’s 7 days away. He’s still tossing and turning over whether or not to get a boat … I think his common sense says to wait until after the divorce, but he sure would like one sooner. He’s still trying to work out a lot of the divorce agreement stuff out of court, but it is a slow process. He said though that he might let me meet his other best friend coming up this spring. He’s known Bob since high school and they fish, golf, and play cards together. I’ve known about Bob since the beginning, but Bob just learned about me a year ago. It would be a pretty big deal to meet him. As it turned out … he lives only about a block or two away from us. So, we’re hoping to finally meet him.

Hmm, anything on work? I don’t remember if we told you, but we had our State inspection. Maybe I told you already. We passed with 99% … good stuff. Now I’ll have more time to work on our accreditation stuff. I’m looking forward to getting that more in order. Everything at work otherwise is in order, because we worked so hard to make sure it was good for this last inspection - Feeling pretty good about all that. The thing now is to not get behind. If everything goes well with this surgery … and it comes through in April or May – I will be off work from 2-4 weeks … maybe I will bring work home so I won’t be totally out of sorts. One thing is for sure. I will be ready for your graduation in June. That’s like a done deal.

I’m still active in the Marineparents.com site. That’s a very cool place. There is a lot to keep up with. I’m so happy to have found the site. We’re having a little problem staying up to do the chat though … we’re trying. Hehehe it seems the nights we do stay up … we’ve napped beforehand, but we fall asleep while watching things scroll past. Seems this has been a pattern for a long time. *Sigh*
I’m not sure what you are doing at this point, but we’re hoping that by the time this letter reaches you that we’ve received a letter from you. It doesn’t matter though even if we don’t because we’d like to continue writing to you anyway. It helps us feel connected to you.

I think the most curious on our mind always is the question – “how are you doing?” We’d like to make sure you are safe, but from everything we read it states that if something happens to you, we’ll know right away, so that no news is good news. But, the part where we know that you are ok emotionally is very important to us. We’d like to know that you are having good success with the program, but even if it was harder than that – we’d like to hear that too. Anything that we could do for you … we’d do in an instant. Just feel this incredible love for you Thom. It’s been that way since the very beginning, no matter what. And, because of that we always want the very best for you. From what I read – the Marines have an incredible program.

I’m very proud you chose something that was so difficult and worthwhile.

Maybe though you are thinking yes Mom … but, what about my joke for the day. Aren’t we going to get to that soon? Ok, ok … sorry … nuf of the mushy stuff let’s get down to business … today we meet up with the Lone Ranger and Tonto …

The Lone Ranger and Tonto went camping in the desert. After they got their tent all set up, both men fell sound asleep.

Some hours later, Tonto wakes the Lone Ranger and says, "Kemosabe, look towards sky; what you see?"

The Lone Ranger replies, "I see millions of stars"

"What that tell you?" asked Tonto.

The Lone Ranger ponders for a minute then says, "Astronomically speaking, it tells me there are millions of galaxies Time wise, it appears to be approximately a quarter past three in the morning. Theologically, the Lord is all powerful, and we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, it seems we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What does it tell you, Tonto?"

"It tell me you dumber than buffalo chips. Someone stole tent."

Hehehe … I know I keep you rolling over in laugher in your bunk. What you say - go on?? Well, maybe one more …

A man was driving along one day and he hit a rabbit. Feeling terrible he stopped and got out of the car to see if it was badly hurt. To his dismay, the rabbit was dead. Unsure what to do, the man runs to the nearest building, which happens to be a salon.

He says to the hairdresser, "I've just hit and killed a rabbit in the middle of the road! What should I do?"

The hairstylist thinks a moment, and then says "I think I have just the thing." He grabs a few bottles from a shelf and runs out to the rabbit. Opening the bottles, he poured the contents onto the rabbit.

Miraculously, the rabbit jumps up, shakes itself, looks around, and then hops of. It went a few feet, then turned and waved, went a few more feet, then turned and waved again. This odd behavior continued until the rabbit was out of sight.

The man looked and the Hairdresser in amazement and says, "Wow! What did you do?" "Oh," the stylist responded, “I gave it a hair revivalist with a wave!"

I know, I know too much, too much … I’m way overboard in the humor department … let me slow down and take it easy on your funny bone with a bit of news.

Hmm big news story is that today is the day of the voting in Texas and Ohio – so we’ll see what’s going to happen between Obama and Clinton. We’ll have to wait for the next letter to see who squeaked out on top … but we’re going with Obama – and we’re thinking you’re going the same direction.

Yeeks … front page news … Moms allegedly brawl at Chuck E. Cheese – have to be in Massachusetts. Happened at a 9 year’s birthday party when one mom thought the other’s kid was “hogging an arcade machine.” Yup, yup … they are heading for court. Just can’t imagine the memories that 9 year old and his friends are going to have … let alone the kid reportedly who was “hogging the machine.” Yeeks! I’d hate to wonder what happened when they were slicing the cake – to see who got the bigger slice.

Pats Re-Sign Randy Moss to 3-Year Deal
By JIMMY GOLEN,
Associated Press
Posted: 2008-03-03 19:17:02

BOSTON (AP) - Randy Moss is staying with the New England Patriots. The defending AFC champions re-signed the record-breaking receiver on Monday to a three-year deal worth $27 million, his agent said. The signing was confirmed by the team shortly after Moss posted a message to fans on his Web site.

"I want to take time out to thank all of the fans for their support and for wishing me well in my return to New England," therealrandymoss.com quotes him as saying. "I'm ready to get back. We have some unfinished business to take care of."

Moss' agent, Tim DiPiero, said the deal included guarantees of $15 million, including a $12 million signing bonus to the receiver who set an NFL record with 23 touchdown catches and helped the Patriots reach the Super Bowl in his first season with the team.

Hmm, nothing really grabs me on the electronics section, but I found that I could subscribe to the Switched show … so I did that. I’m listening to it now. I wonder if it’s a daily or weekly show. I like their information usually. Seems lately they’ve been onto smaller and cheaper computers. We’ll see.

Hmm, here’s something interesting in the Green department …

Fuel Cells Make Power for Homes in Japan
AP
Posted: 2008-03-03 15:44:17

The technology - which draws energy from the chemical reaction when hydrogen combines with oxygen to form water - is more commonly seen in futuristic cars with tanks of hydrogen instead of gasoline, whose combustion is a key culprit in pollution and global warming.

Developers say fuel cells for homes produce one-third less of the pollution that causes global warming than conventional electricity generation does. Their plain gray fuel cell is about the size of a suitcase and sits just outside their door next to a tank that turns out to be a water heater. In the process of producing electricity, the fuel cell gives off enough warmth to heat water for the home.

The oxygen that the fuel cell uses comes from the air. The hydrogen is extracted from natural gas by a device called a reformer in the same box as the fuel cell. But a byproduct of that process is poisonous carbon monoxide. So another machine in the gray box adds oxygen to the carbon monoxide to create carbon dioxide, which - though it contributes to global warming - is not poisonous.

The entire process produces less greenhouse gas per watt than traditional generation. And no energy is wasted transporting the electricity where it's actually going to be used.

Hmm. Gang allegedly plotted to kill Mick Jagger. This is a story that could have been news almost 40 years ago and is just coming out now. Basically … Jagger used the Hells Angels for security during a concert and a fan was killed, so Jagger vowed never to use the Angels for security again. The Angels got mad and planned an assassination. Umm, it didn’t work. Umm, I guess that’s it .. Jagger is 40 years older now. But, it seemed more interesting than Kid Rock pleading innocent to battery from the pancake house incident. *sigh*

Hmm, not sure if you watch family guy, but it seems that “Cleveland” is getting his own show. It seems that he’s the henpecked husband and hmm “bathtub-accident-prone?” I guess you gotta be there. Well congrats to him!! Seems otherwise he’s pretty level headed. I hope he’s a big success.

Well, I guess you could say that it was a light news day. I know … let’s take a peek over at the Chevron News paper … that’s the news from MCRD-SD the last one was Friday 2-29-08. The lead story is “Symposium held to discuss integration of armed forces.” Hmm, they discuss first the story of the Tuskegee airmen. If you don’t know of them yet, you’ll learn of them in your training. It was a pretty big deal, but a bad note for psychology profession. Psychology at the time screwed up.

Ahh, they say that the US Marine Corp Battle Color Detachment will perform on the depot March 8 – you’ll just miss that. It featured the US Marine drum and Bugle Corp, the silent drill platoon, and the Marine Corps Color Guard all of which are attached to the Marine Barracks, Washington, DC.

Hmm, they show a big picture of Company K evacuating with a wounded training dummy named Fred. Maybe you’ll meet Fred too. It has to do with an Infiltration course up at Camp Pendleton. Something called Copeland’s Assault. The recruits’ faces are camouflaged and they are in full Marine gear including the guns. Man is it going to be a transformation. And its happening quick. You might be looking like this already. They also have pictures of recruits going under the barb wire while being yelled at by the DI

Wow. Read an article calle “Crucible obstacle reinforces recruits’ battle drills.” It starts out “Hungry, tired and soaked from the rain, Company K recruits rushed out of disabled amphibious assault vehicles and began the day Infiltration Course at Edson Range, Camp Pendleton, Calif.” The article ends, “We train for war every hour of the day,” said Hoyt. “no matter what (military occupational specialty) they are, this course is important because these recruits will become Marines, and all Marines are riflemen first.”

I hear that a lot – about being riflemen. The part of that I like the most is the sense of you protecting yourselves and others.

Ok, Better go take my shower. I’ll be back in a few to finish up.

Back. Just looking at the pictures again … Trying to imagine you holding those same guns and facing the same barbed and concertina wire and having the same DI’s overhead making sure you are low and fast enough. I like to think they are attuning you to the safety necessary so you will remain safe on any battle field – even though I hope you are never placed on one.

They also have pictures of a graduating platoon – the Kilo Company. It seems the Leadership roles honored are the company honor man, the series honor man, platoon honor men, high shooter, and high pft. I’m not sure all of what that means, but I’m pretty sure you’ll be aiming that high … I hope for you that you’ll gain the strength and aptitude you’ll need to conquer each of your goals as you set them day by day. Remember to plan for the future, but work on the goals one at a time – the ones before you whether it means getting into your boots faster, scrubbing the toilet more efficiently, thinking more broadly – about why it’s important to know, or simply sweeping the other guys leg more quickly in karate. Remember, I believe in you and so do others!!!

That’s about it for this time Thom. I still look forward to writing you more than anything else in my day. Not to say I don’t like the other things I do, just I think anything I can do to help you is very, very important. Even if it’s only for the value of hearing your name called again, “Garvey, Mail!” Hehehe. You are pretty damn important in my book. Here … let me do it … Garvey, Garvey, Garvey!!!

Ok, I know stop being silly. It’s just the end of the letter and I have a whole 2-3 inches left and its hard to say ok, that’s enough. I hope that you are getting other letters. I know that you have a lot of family. Maybe I’ll send my extra letters two at a time and spread them out a bit until they catch up with my real-time writing. I always hope to have more, but know I have to pace it just as they come up. I’d still like to send pictures on the letter if its ok, please let me know.

Ok, I know have to stop … ANYTHING else?? Did we say the part over and over again how much I love you??

I do, I do!!! And, I love this exciting life you’ve gotten yourself into. It might be a little labor intensive now, but that’s just how they teach you how to become a Marine. It’s worth a little effort. Marines have it harder than any of the other services. We like to think that’s because you all are the best #1!!!!!

I love you Thom-thom,
Mom!