Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Mom Letter #11 - March 6, 2008 - Reporting weather from Chicago to be 27 F.

Dear Thom,

Just me again. How are you doing? I’m hoping that if you’re reading this that it is the end of the day and the day though hard is coming to a close. Still hoping you are falling asleep with no problems. I’m also hoping that SD weather is going well with you. I’m glad that you are not there during the real hot months … that might have been overly hard. Lord knows they are putting enough stress on you all even without the weather complications. I’m not sure – haven’t heard, but is there a chance that the barracks are air conditioned? Just a thought – I know Mom thought…

It’s Thursday now so there are only a few more days here now as I am writing the letter before you are shipping off. Three days to be exact. I’m counting your day leaving as to Sunday the day you go to the hotel. I’m wondering if you’ll be sharing a room with others and how your travel arrangements went. Still worrying about how they have you getting to SD in the middle of the night. I heard from one of the mothers that they suggest making sure you have a $20 in your pocket in case you are delayed and need something to eat at one of the airports. I like that idea a lot. And, if you don’t want to get there with money – just give it away, K?

We’ll talk about that maybe on Saturday when we meet.

This morning I got back a response letter from the first set of letters I sent in to Marineparents.com. I was really excited. I brought the brochure and letter to Sue the instructor (DSP) from Group I. There are 5 groups at St. Rose Leadership, and then Groups I, II, III, & IV. More on that later, but Sue picked up on the Cue and is having her group write to you and to a Marine for the support packages. I’m not sure what to expect, but I’m looking forward to seeing their letters. I hope you don’t mind. They don’t know much about you know, but according to their questions or statements I will help fill in their information – if you ever wanted to write them a short note they would be very excited. We’ll check that out later though. I am going to wait and see what kind of letters they write. I don’t know if they are going to do individual letters, or group letters, or if they will print them out themselves, or if they will do pictures. We’ll see.

If that goes over well, we could have three of the other groups do something – four groups really … Cathy could do something nice with group four. They say the more mail the better, but I know you don’t want to stick out … so I know we have to do a balance. I want people to be aware of you and that you are doing something this hard. I was crushed to see in the news today that someone had attacked the recruiter’s office in NY at Times square … that’s about the most terrible thing.

They said that office recruits about 10,000 military people a year. I think it’s going to be a developing story, but the military is going to take it as a direct attack. I’d hate to see them stationing people at the offices just to make sure they were protected - couldn’t do copycatting though that would be non-permissible. Ok, that’s a negative story slipping through didn’t mean to do that … just it’s a big deal – even if it cowardly.

Ok let’s go somewhere else. Shhh…

We were saying with the letters – the groups here … they just want to love someone.

That’s all … and they want to know people out there in real life. To them … before you even step onto the plane – you were a hero to them … you are just going to be getting bigger and bigger. You also went on their prayer list today. Just thought you should know that there were strong forces over this way praying for you – AND hoping that you get through boot camp and beyond! I told them that you were going to be a super sneaky spy … that part may have to be corrected. But, impulsively that’s what comes to our mind to explain what you are going to do … like the joke the other day where the response ends as a “spyder” to explain an “undercover” animal.

Hmm, maybe it’s time for a new joke … let’s see. Ahh Perhaps a story … I went through a few, but this one stuck out as particularly good. It’s about your experience seen through the eyes of a Marine as he looked back on boot camp. Does this make sense to wherever you are Thom?

Boot Camp. . . through the eyes of a recruit
Submitted by: Don J. Flickinger Sgt. USMC
Sgt Grit Marine Specialties

Recruit Training, United States Marine Corps, officially comprises three definitive phases. First Phase concentrates on orientation, study of military subjects and physical training. Second Phase includes marksmanship training, combat exercises and long hikes. Third Phase is service week, final polishing and, finally, graduation.

Three phases also exist in the mind of the recruit. These are not, however, the same three phases measured by exact dates in the drill instructor's schedule.

Phase one begins in the small, dark hours of the morning. The former happy civilian steps off the bus into a world of disorientation. His mind is snapped into abject shock. Cardiac arrest is a distinct possibility.

The drill instructor is absolutely the most sadistic, maniacal tyrant he has ever encountered. It is beyond comprehension that one human being could treat another in such fashion. In his daily struggle to survive, the recruit becomes psychoneurotic wondering if the psychopath in charge will allow him to live another day.

The days pass. The crying in the sack at night subsides as the mind becomes numb and the spent, weary body literally dies. Forgotten are the lofty principles and goals that fired enlistment. Graduation is not a word in the vocabulary. The recruit lives in limbo, a lethean existence.

One night after lights out, the recruit lies on his rack contemplating "the worst mistake I ever made in my life." The body and the mind have reached the limits of endurance. Slowly, he begins to make a decision.

Initially, his thoughts are that he cannot continue another day. If that is the end of the thinking process, he sinks into despair will soon be released to return home.

Continued thinking, however, brings the drill instructor into focus. Anger begins to rage within the recruit. Further thought heightens the wrath within to a frenzy. The irrevocable decision is made, "I will not let that son-of-a bitch defeat me."

Second phase begins the next morning at roll call. The recruit responds in a voice that is sharp and quick, loud and distinct, and permeated with a tone of defiance. On the parade deck his movements suddenly become snappy, displaying a newly found arrogance. Despite the aching body, his physical training scores shoot upwardly.

The recruit has engaged the drill instructor in a mental duel. He is determined that he will excel and that the drill instructor will never again single him out. Yet, as he struggles it seems that the drill instructor is answering the challenge and singles him out with continuously accelerating the demands ever increasing expectations. With grim determination, the recruit rises to the challenge.

One day the recruit is astonished with the sudden realization that he has executed a command, perfectly and with relative ease. His mind engages in further introspection. He notices the transformation of mind and body. Gone is the deep-seated defiance, replaced with absolute confidence. He has achieved the "can do!" attitude, which he will have for the rest of his life.

Third Phase has begun. The recruit now struts, proud and tall. Graduation, wearing the Eagle, Globe and Anchor, and being awarded the title "Marine" are realities.

He minimizes his own participation. All credit is given to the drill instructor. All earlier attitudes give way to one of genuine deep respect and hero worship. "If I ever go into combat, I want him as the leader."

The former civilian will be forever a Marine and the drill instructor will live within his mind.

On 16 April 1954, I proudly strutted across the Parade Deck, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, South Carolina, having earned the title, "United States Marine." Again, on 20 May 1994, I strutted, with even greater pride, across the Parade Deck, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, California, coming from the reviewing stand, in uniform, after the ceremonies, to welcome my son to the "Band of Brothers."

The mental phases of training as perceived in the mind of the recruit are based upon my own impressions and reflections from the time. They were confirmed by my son's Senior Drill Instructor. He further indicated that the phases are imposed by design and that the drill instructor is acutely aware of the current mental phase of each recruit.

Makes me want to understand better, but thinking I should now transition with a few jokes …

Comfortable

Two sisters, one blonde and one brunette, inherit the family ranch. Unfortunately, after just a few years, they are in financial trouble. In order to keep the bank from repossessing the ranch, they need to purchase a bull so that they can breed their own stock. Upon leaving, the brunette tells her sister, "When I get there, if I decide to buy the bull, I'll contact you to drive out after me and haul it home." The brunette arrives at the man's ranch, inspects the bull, and decides she wants to buy it. The man tells her that he will sell it for $599, no less.

After buying him, she drives to the nearest town to send her sister a telegram to tell her the news. She walks into the telegraph office, and says, "I want to send a telegram to my sister telling her that I've bought a bull for our ranch. I need her to hitch the trailer to our pickup truck and drive out here so we can haul it home."
The telegraph operator explains that he'll be glad to help her, then adds, "It's just 99 cents a word."

Well, after paying for the bull, the brunette only has $1 left. She realizes that she'll only be able to send her sister one word.

After thinking for a few minutes, she nods, and says, "I want you to send her the word "comfortable". The telegraph operator shakes his head. "How is she ever going to know that you want her to hitch the trailer to your pickup truck and drive out here to haul that bull back to your ranch if you send her the word, "comfortable?'"

The brunette explains, "My sister's blonde. The word's big. She'll read it slow. - - - -
("com-for-da-bul" )

For Those Who Take Life Too Seriously

1. Save the whales. Collect the whole set
2. A day without sunshine is like, night.
3. On the other hand, you have different fingers.
4. I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.
5. 42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.
6. 99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
7. I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
8. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
9. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges
10. Honk if you love peace and quiet.
11. Remember half the people you know are below average.
12. Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?
13. Nothing is fool-proof to a talented fool.
14. Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
15. He who laughs last thinks slowest.
16. Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.
17. Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
18. The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
19. I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
20. I intend to live forever - so far so good.
21. Borrow money from a pessimist - they don't expect it back.
22. If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
23. My mind is like a steel trap - rusty and illegal in 37 states.
24. Quantum mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of.
25. The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.
26. Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.
27. When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane and going the wrong way.

(Finish the list next letter)

*Sigh* There we go again we usually get lost in thought and not sure where we are any more … probably because our thoughts are deep … yup yup that’s it! I think we spent too much time today with the silly stuff. I feel I’ve got to do a few newstories, but I have to search my mind for a sec to see if there isn’t anything going on that we could communicate on a personal note. By now you know that Maury got the job at Comcast, but he’s going to have to wait it out as to starting the training. I think it was only conditional on drug testing and we know he’ll do that fine. We’re still trying to tell him he should be working on the officiating, but don’t know where that is at he seems sluggish … I think he’s working on it, but haven’t heard from him in a few days – I think I have to let him be, but I’m also thinking he could use some confidence and advise from Rich. *sigh*

Today is a make or break day for the surgery. Just have to get past this psychologist – I HOPE it’s our last appointment. Shoot … I have to listen to this guys tape … One’s called a day away from Stress and the other is something about seasons. I don’t want someone to be leading my brain anywhere. The Dr. at the wellness and nutrition clinic says the psychologist is a real nut about these CDs.

I’ve talked to Dr. Marvin about it – he’s the psychiatrist, but basically it’s all about just getting past this one last session. So I have to say I like the CD’s … just in case he tries to check me out need to listen to them so … well you know.

Hmm, as to last night … anything happen? Not much I think. I stayed about a half hour late because the camera had come in and we were still examining it. We often drop off our co-worker if she wants a ride home … did that last night … we get her to the L-station and she takes it from there … she lives on the North side and we work on the south side. The camera is going to be very neat. I got the short lived battery charged – that took 5 hours, and then I plugged in the one that takes 10 hours – first time before I left work. I figured it enough to get two pictures of the kitties. But, we weren’t up enough to experiment proper. Rich had left a Subway sandwich for me, but he had a meeting. I stayed up looking at the Internet until about 8 pm, but I couldn’t stay up the hour it took him to get home. I saw this morning he’d been on my computer after I went to bed. I can’t figure out why I can’t even hear him and wake up for my smooches! Shoot! We try… I’m a really good smooc… shoot you probably don’t want to know that … shhhh

Ok, that was my night … I know what about the news?

Oh Lordy … they are saying Do-over in Michigan and Florida. I guess their initial primary didn’t count because both states violated the national party rules. Don’t really want to know more about that.

It states in the paper that home equities fall below 50 percent that seems to mean that as a group we owe more than we own on our houses … kind of scary … since 1945? When we get back to 1927 then maybe we’ll be able to say clearly we’re in a depression, but lower than 50% is pretty bad. I won’t ever contribute to that number, but Rich might. Have to watch out for that. I wonder who owns the most of our mortgages.

Ahh another sister story – Home foreclosures hit record high underscoring suffering, distressed homeowners. This is not good – especially for people with subprime adjustable-rate loans. They are saying that 20% of 46 million homes are affected that’s like 9 million 2 hundred homes. That’s just too huge. That’s all the people paying late or just “entering the foreclosure process.”

Hmm, that reminded me to pay my rent, which reminded me that I had to talk to my car loan people. When I did that I found they had some promotional loan thing they were asking if I was interested in, so we listened and let them run our credit. I usually don’t get good credit rating, but now that I’ve been paying on the car for a year and it was MY car loan people I though why not. Basically, they are saying that they can lower my payment, and my interest rate, and hand me a check to go get a new car. It was like ok, I’m listening. But, we’ll have to wait an hour … I’ll call them back at 2:10 pm. I also called Rich because he was a little upset last time we made a big decision without him. I’m learning. Meanwhile someone is screaming inside TAKE DOOR NUMBER #3!!! *Sigh*

Ok, that moved along, but so now have I … late for Doctor Appointment YEEKS!!!

But, not late enough to say Thom … I love you to pieces!

Do what’s right!
Mom