Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Monday, November 26, 2007

WooHoo Got through first day back 19 left!!!

Good morning. This is me. It is already 10 am, so I’m at a point of some confusion. I think that most people here at work have been working for at least a couple of hours, but we’ve been floating around. Beside checking the diabetes blood glucose numbers on one of our clients … not much work has gotten done. A good part of our time has been spent going over things at the OH site. There is nothing that has to be done over there, so we’re just being obsessive. We are rechecking and rechecking our work. We have made a commitment not to go into the chat room, but we have to focus on something other than the site too.

For now we have both the OH site and AMW from blogger open … it’s containing a larger world for us. We also tried putting on lounge Christmas music trying to settle our nerves. We’ve got a staffing this afternoon and that’s making me nervous too. We have to supervise the new Q, but we are not overly familiar with the client. She was one of Holly’s and the mother can be tough. Sometimes she’ll put out a different face than the one she’s thinking, so is very hard to read. God Bless us. Let’s just get through that one. We’ll be very laid back.

I should be doing other things I suppose. I will need to get back into the rooms, but I should have done that 15 minutes ago if I were going. I did some work on Group IV on Wednesday before the dinner while I was watching that group for a missing staff. I’ve got to do Group III and Leadership group this week. Three will be a toughy … certainly not for Monday morning … perhaps tomorrow afternoon after lunch. Then leadership on Thursday morning when there is a bigger group in there.

Ok, that is a plan.

No there are a few more other things that need to get done. But, we don’t want to go there yet. Hmm, this is not good … we’re a little gassy this morning … went to the washroom and on the way Kathy the CSO person wanted to chat about Thanksgiving.

I think if a person has her hand on the bathroom door it is unfair to ask how the holiday was. We came back and thought oh dear it is a little campy and she’s going to visit, so we lit our cinnamon candle. But, I’m not feeling real good yet.

That’s the second or third trip to the powder room. Hmm 

Ok, we’re in for a break here, right? I’m thinking I should eat one of my oranges because it is 10:30 am, but my stomach is saying umm, do you really want to chance that? No, not really ma’am.

Ok, we’ve got to clear our mind here … surely there is something more substantial we should be thinking. I’m really hanging onto the holiday … I can’t believe its over. I wonder how long before Christmas break … let’s peak. WooHOOO found the schedule. It says that we have our last day on December 21 … then it is a weekend, five days, a weekend, and two more days … says we go back on January 2nd. That means 11 days!!!!! OH MAN OH MAN I can hardly wait 11 day vacation!!! We’ll come back on a Wednesday. Now how many days before then? AHA! 25 days … less than a month … surely I can do that … especially since there will be 3 weekends in there or another 6 days off … so all in all 19 days of work, right? Well 20 days including today. That should be easy to remember … So like 4 weeks and then we’re off. Oh Man I can hardly wait.

Ok, I feel better framing that in. Just four more weeks. I should then be doing some goals. I didn’t do so good with the goals of bringing work home and doing it over the weekend. I know I just have to get it started and I didn’t make that goal. I got it to the living room, but didn’t work out the logistics of sending home the program worksheet to have continued it. It just got too hairy on the last day and then there was the dinner, and then I didn’t come back.

Ok, there has to be some major goals.

• Let’s say two visits each to each of the five classrooms. 3 visits to the two I haven’t gotten in – well, maybe just two … time’s gone by

• Finish Candice’s 5 Qnotes – hmm, maybe 6 … that will have to be checked

• Finish 3 annuals and goals from our list

• Finish the staff training schedule

• Complete Qnotes for November and December

• Enter as much data as possible to the Chronological report

• Complete meetings for staff training, Thinking Group and Circles and any
additional staffing for the trainee

• Anything else that comes up

• Check on CARF advancement

• Go through loose papers in our in-box

• Correct the pre-tests before Thursday

Ok, is that about it? Let’s think here. 4 weeks to do all that … Is it possible?

Hmm, probably, but we’d have to be tough with ourselves. And, we need to check on Dr. schedules. Think there is one coming up on the 3rd of December and another 2 on December 5th. That’s not until next week. Ok, we’re good on that, but we should make a list of appointments as soon as we get the schedules – loose back to the office – or if we type at home and email back here for printing. Think there is a few other things we need to confirm. Two people the psych doctor and the surgery nurses responsible for the December 17th meeting haven’t called back. I don’t know where those numbers are, but probably at home. We should check numbers and type up on list.

It’s 10:50 am now … anything need to be done now? What’s like first of the priorities. And, no … you can’t do just the fun things first. That’s why we left home that envelope of stuff that we took home … the things for the CR (Chronological Report) are like the fun things to be doing – consuming of time, but more fun than other stuff. Let’s see hottest for today would be what? Maybe one Qnote from Candice’s and 1 client from our list – maybe finish Charles’ I think he has two goals completed. Anything else? I think Rich is going to be home today, we’ll check that later on. If I could get those two things done that would be a good show of faith, hmm? Any complications beside the staffing? Visit is tomorrow afternoon. We will have to set up the next circles meeting for tomorrow. Staff training schedule could be sticking, but needs a day to figure out … more if we complicate it by setting it to real objectives … like where are they going to come from? Hmm … too much to think of now … have to keep our eye on the pre-test correction those like the general plan for the week on circles are sneaky ones. If there is time this afternoon we can work on the CIRCLES for the week, otherwise that will have to be done tomorrow morning before 10:30 am. *sigh* Ok, nothing else of high priority.

It’s hard to say which is more important between my stuff and Candice’s. I told her I would do her things, but mind should have been done already. Best to work on it side by side first one of hers, then mine, etc. DSPs will be waiting for mine though too … better shoot to get them done soon. Maybe, I should hold back on Candice’s Qnotes and aim to have all 3 of my people finished this week? That way they could all start on goals by First week of December next week. Ok, good. This is the kind of thinking that we have to do. So, first goal is to finish 3 annuals and goals from our list, work in meetings and visits as they come up, and then finish Candice’s Qnotes. Let’s see what’s next. Continue visits and meetings, and by next week we should go through the loose papers in our in-box – Be nice to work on the staff training schedule on week 3 … aiming of course to finish Candice’s work next week – maybe longer, because of the Doctor’s meetings. That means saving November and December Qnotes – mine until 4th week right before break. And, then things like preparation for CARF and typing up CR stuff will need to go home for Christmas break.


Ok, let’s review … did that all then just get in?

Ok, I think that about does it. Now the question is if we get done with that week’s tasks – do we go on to the next week or do we get time to do the CR stuff. Sure be nice to have the basics done and confirmed before the holiday, but the CR stuff is motivating to us. It’s kind of fun to think through. Don’t want to lose a handle to that. Problem is that it’s unending. And, we still need to figure out how to make it useable. Let’s look into that now just for a moment … 20 minutes to lunch.

It seems to validate why we are in the DSPs room – to get information to add to the bigger picture. I would like to include work now from Holly’s and Candice’s caseload … and print up a big master list before the holiday. I don’t think we can just let it go. It needs ongoing work. Maybe what we’ll do is that we’ll save it for the times that we are working overtime, which is anytime after 4 pm – up to 6:30 pm where Rich has got a game. That would give it time, but not be excessive on the load space we need for the regular work, right? Check it out?

Hmm, back again. I put just in a few moments … 10 minutes to lunch … not like we have to eat then, but in trying to structure stuff. I think where we left off with the CR is that we need to summarize or outline the content. I’m not sure. It seems that the more responses we get down, the more likely we will be in trying to figure out what it is that we are trying to do with the many task at hand. I don’t want to get stuck with what I don’t see; because that would be too big … we’re just doing a sample. Maybe not random but yes in that I don’t know what’s going on in the groups. Close enough. I think it’s good that everything is being viewed through one set of eyes … it allows for some norming. We need to adjust to differences in categorizing as we go to allow for new insights.

Ok, let’s just look for a second … we have 3 people who worked with blocks. 2 were unable to line blocks in rows and needed high assistance, and the third was able to line the blocks in rows, but did it with high assistance due to low personal effort. So with the first it was more ability and with the third it could have been from an attitude. The third individual was also able to count 80% of the blocks where the first two did not.

So, the point would next be … looking at the block “test.” What can we surmise from it?

• The individuals did not understand the task

o Due to difficulty discerning colors

o Due to difficulty understanding rows –

o Due to difficulty understanding the task of repeating or modeling

o Due to language barrier

o Due to lack of effort or interest

o Due to teaching method – expectation without teaching

o Due to distraction

o Due to learned helplessness

o Due to need for direct assistance

o Due difficulty following instructions (comprehension – thoughts)

Wow … just went through an interesting set of thoughts. I had added the above
thoughts as to why the individuals could not complete the task. We are still missing the educational leap that we’re asking them to make … I wonder if we could figure that out by going back to the state requirements in learning. What does the ability of stacking objects teach us? That might give us an academic bridge.

The other thing that we did was that we went over and pulled out all the records that belonged with one of the three clients. We looked at the third one who needed a lot of coaching but had completed the arrangement exercise. The point is we gave her an instruction and without assistance it wouldn’t have gotten done. I can now look at these other things and find that she is much better as a room monitor than in working on personal tasks.

Summary of K 10/30/2007
Ann M. Garvey, QMRP

She can remember words and She can identify letters (80%), and She can independently walk for 15 minutes and perform other light housekeeping tasks, but She needed high assistance with simple activity manipulations, such as tracing/coloring a leaf and stacking blocks, which both needed eye hand coordination. She showed difficulty following instructions, needed direct assistance, appeared helpless, was distracted, and put forth low effort. The trouble with following directions could be auditoria, such as she could not distinguish hearing a bowl from a ball after 3 efforts. She could have trouble with colors and alignment, but those would need further testing. Things that she did well like walking, housekeeping, and volunteering could be given as encouragements. It seems like She likes to be mobile and responsible. The report also shows that She sometimes complains about her peers, which might be a distraction though it appears on the surface She can be redirected.


Test knowledge, comprehension and application of:
Words
Letters
Colors
Alignment
Provide simple manipulatives progress and improvements, such as with:
Tracing
Coloring
Stacking
Check for:
Hearing – repeat back directions
Ability to receive simple instructions
Needs for direct assistance
Needs to achieve competence and confidence
Focus – redirect complaints (especially petty peer complaints)
Need to engage at higher effort level
Encourage with:
Walks
Light Housekeeping
Volunteering
General mobility activities

Ok, we’re back. It’s now 3 pm and there is an hour left of the day. It sort of went by pretty fast. I was working on the above and then there was the meeting.

That went pretty well. There was work to do for it during the meeting, but not highly stressful. More work for Candice than for me. So, we than fiddled again with the responsiveness of the stuff and we figured that we could add the above two paragraphs to the bottom of the CR with ZZZ and ZZZZZZ prompts to sink it. I know heavy machine guns. Beside a indentation glitch, I think it will work. I think that we could restructure the outline as we progress and just add paragraph summaries. I don’t see any purpose of stretching them out. But they could be placed by ZZZ numbering one in back of the other. We could also decide to put the outline at the front of the report Not sure how that would go. It would be more direct for someone who just wants to know what to do.

Ok, I did that … it’s really a minor point, but I’m at the floating point where I don’t really want to do too much more tonight. I just need to progress things. I also need to account for the fact that I didn’t work on the annual/goal stuff for C. We’ve avoided it like the dickens. I’m thinking that isn’t too professional.

Ok, I made sure my priority list was in order. Ok, this is the same as with the diet food … I’ve got to get to the point that I do what I am thinking that has to get done. Otherwise I’m just kind of a blowhard. Yeeks that a terrible word. I wonder how much more productive I’ll be when I’m lighter on my feet. Maybe I’ll be able to think more clearly?

I don’t know … maybe I can do some immediate good and sort paperwork this half hour? Let’s try that.

Ok, lookin good … it’s just 8 minutes now … I’m going to post this with remaining time. But, at least I got through that tray and sorted it out … there’s a stack for filing in general, filing for clients, and a little stack for doing stuff. Glad I looked … I guess I got a meeting on Thursday … shheeesh, who would have guessed gotta coordinate times. Hmm, we sent home the CR notes too. Want to see if we can do this without too much trouble. I just don’t want to be duplicating records … might start new file, not sure. We’ll check. But, for now we’ve been a good girl – stayed away from OH and figure we now deserve some of that time. Gotta go bye!