Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Monday, April 23, 2007

This is the Day Sweetie Pie Comes Back



Good morning … this is mi … whoops ok hold on. I’ve been up for about an hour, but we’re thinking it’s 9 am and I need medicine and coffee … so brb.
Ok, back and we got cereal too.

Hmm. It’s now about 9:30 am. We lost a half hour closing down the computer for a second. It was running continual mode which might not have been good for the computer, and was a bit irritating. Then I got caught up for about 10 minutes on looking at some news stuff on rock stars from the 80’s to the present and how they’d changed appearance. It’s just the fluffy kind of stuff we do … always some kind of distraction. Anyway the machine is not running on high anymore and we’re back to concentrating on doing whatever step comes net.



Need to focus on something. Let’s think where are we. I think we told you about the part where our sweetie pie called and we weren’t in such a good place. We’d been obsessing on the things that we’d wanted to purchase … basically the stuff for exercising with the wheel chair and such … We’ve tried to figure out where all that was at. Basically, we wanted to get into some kind of exercise routine where we could flip between walking and sitting in the wheel chair … It started from needing some kind of place to rest between walking and resting in that we can only walk from 4-6 minutes before needing to sit down. I’ve got to think of it now from a perspective of having some distance from it with the overnight sleeping. I think that we’re still going to go through trying to get it from the insurance, which means that they are going to need contacting Dr. Marvin. I would like to get it started right away, but I’m afraid that he’s going to want to talk it over during the meeting on Thursday. I don’t want to wait any longer than I have to. Because, I’m worried that someone will tell our buddy and he’s going to stop it before we can do whatever it is that we’re going to want to do. We had sent him a copy of the thing saying that we’ve got the school money in the account, but then we took it back so he doesn’t know about the money being there. That seems to be pretty sneaky. But, there are a few things that we would really like and it’s going to take some time before we can work out the details. Deb had a good idea in that we could go through insurance so we were pleased with that result. It could save like $300 or so. I’m not sure what the difference is going to be in the long run, because they will probably charge the insurance company more than I could have gotten in the long run. It’s up in the air as to whether or not I’d get a better or lesser quality chair by doing one or the other.

Hmm, that was some pretty complicated thoughts. I think one of the things that we’re worrying about is that we won’t be able to wheel very far using our arms when we need to sit down. I think though that it has to do with what our plans in getting the three way timer. The goal will be to chart our progress in at least three modes. A lot of this has to do with being at the zoo … this is going to mean we need time between 10 am and 5/6 pm. Our friend says that he is going to want to maybe go to the zoo too, but I don’t remember right off hand where all that was coming from. I know that it is important for me to be able to sit down whenever and I’m afraid of having that panic part where I don’t know where the next bench is coming from … and then some of the farther out spaces in the zoo that I would look forward to being at has fewer chairs. I think another part is that we’re worried about just getting in and then having to wait in a long line to get through the gates. I think also that we’re worrying about being able to lean on something, which is more support than we’re presently getting with the cane. And, there is going to need to be some way of carrying our things like water bottle, notepad, purse, camera and such. Hmm, that’s something we didn’t think too much about last time is being able to take pictures. That’s going to be a good thing. Hmm, so far so good, but we’re feeling scattered.

We keep referring back to pictures on our left from the blog. I can see in total the pedometer, the blood pressure cup, and the stopwatch. I think with the stop watch, we would start all three timers from the time we got out of our car in the parking lot. The second of the three timers would be stopped from the time that we stopped walking until the next time we started walking. The third timer would be started when? I had at first the thought of timing how long we could push the chair sitting down using our arms. But, I haven’t figured out how that would go, because I might start and stop it before we’ve really gotten too far. How would that work?

I know that it can save about 150 times from each timer … Maybe we would just start the first two timers for general over all time out and for the walking, then we would only stop the walking one when we sat down, and then we’d start and stop the third timer for when we were rolling the chair by and when we’d want to time ourselves for 10-15 minute breaks before standing again. That would work out with me. I like that idea pretty good. So in a sense the first timer is over all. The second timer is for periods walking, and then the third timer would toggle between times rolling and times resting between walks. I think we could have used the overall timer to figure that out, but we are going to want to study intervals in between things where we are progressing faster or slower from one more difficult task to another. I would hope that it is easy to use, because time might be of the essence.

There is this other part too where we are going to want to work toward getting back in the gym … I think that we had been like about 8-9 minutes walking at the good point so that will be an important goal to reach. Also, we are going to want to write up a timing sheet so that we can be recording … hmm, maybe over time we will be able to let the timer record our figures, but it could take a little time getting used to all that. I think the big thing with our friend is going to be that we have to consider this an exercise in progressing our ability rather than scoffing at the whole walking process. This is not about being pushed in a chair its about pushing ourselves athletically. We need to be setting goals and watching our progress. I know that was a big deal while we were at the gym, although it wasn’t being tightly monitored at the time. So, we couldn’t keep it in our head more than at tops a day or two. I think we might be going overboard with the pedometer, blood pressure, and heart rate, but those things are what is going to give us clues as to how we’re doing over all and what are our breakpoints.
I’m thinking now about the difficulty we’re going to have moving ourselves with our arms. I think that maybe we’ll use it to reposition ourselves. In a sense get out of peoples way, but the majority of time it will probably be parked between the intervals. Maybe it will be easier than I think, but it would seem getting over aspalt that it’s going to be difficult to push, especially before I build up some upper body strength. There are some shock absorber things called frog legs or something that would take up some of the wear and tear on the bumps, but they cost almost as much as the wheel chair itself, so that would need to be checked at the insurance place, I don’t know if they cover that kind of cost, or have that option. I think my weight is going to have a difference on the drag on the chair in pushing it with arms. We’ll have to see.

We’ve been trying to study its appearance in that we don’t want it to feel as medical as it is just a devise to make my life happier and more fulfilling. I found on one sight that chairs generally measure about 12 inches when folded and about 33 inches long, so I think it’s going to fit in my car and should be left there inbetween things without having to put the back seat down. This is something that would not have been possible back in the days we had the Grand Am. I’m really hoping it will work. I don’t think thought that I will be able to use the back cargo net. And, the things inside it will have to be moved to the first floor storage closet. This should be ok. I really don’t want to use the option of the back seat for storage if I can help it. I like the back seat for temporary storage, but not for holding long term items. I think the model that I was looking at was about 53 pounds, so I think I should be able to lift it just that couple of feet … it should be a straight in position.

I have to admit that when I talked to Deb there was this one other part that is pushing us to do this. That was that Rich had almost set up that I go with him last weekend to the fishing store, which was a good idea, because it was an hour ride back and forth. It was decided against, because I had the opportunity to go out to Maury’s, but the part that was the trump card was that our friend would have felt guilty leaving me in the car for an hour while he shopped. Especially, if he was enjoying himself and wanted to stay a little longer. I very much miss being not able to go to stores if I would like and I miss that there will be other such opportunities that I’m not going to be able to do. It’s just that our friend goes to places all over. I don’t want him to have to push us, but then things need to be considered more realistically. The bottom line is that I can’t stand or walk for more than a few moments of time and that’s not something that happens to most people. Rich for example stands for hours and hours at a time whether he is cooking, working around the shop, or doing his officiating things. I don’t think that it is fair for him to even imagine the panic in always needing to figure out where the next chair is going to be. This has got to be something that comes from me. I think I have a right to do more than be at home or work, and nowhere else.

Isn’t this why wheelchairs were invented? For people who could not walk or stand?

Why does it have to be looked so down upon. Ok, now I’m on a soap box. BUT, the point is we’re looking for more mobility not less.

Ok, now we’re going to clearly move off this mark. We need to be moving on. We filled up our coffee, used the washroom, ate an orange, and turned on the music.

That’s setting the stage for whoever wants to be here next. Ok, ok …

Took down the pictures of the stuff we want to buy … better check the bank. Hmm, maybe we shouldn’t have done that. But, we did clear up one thing … we had left $130 budget for medicine … that was good … we didn’t want to do anything to leave that short. We had gotten for our friend a cheat sheet of our expenditures. It looks like we have enough to buy the three timing devises. I think that what we’re going to do is get our shower done, then take the money to get some oranges and grapefruit, and then maybe if there is extra money we could stop at a florists. I think there is some by the fruit store. I wonder if we should try to drive out to Maury’s with the skates. Be able to stop for a car wash too? Basically, we would be getting to the point where we’d be able to get our credit card down in the car.

I think the trip out to Maury’s makes a kind of long day, especially if we go into talking, but then on the other hand I really dislike having things sitting in the car that don’t belong there.

Wow … been on the phone now with Maury for a bit. It’s almost about noon. He’s had a lot going on. He’s between a couple job offers and both have call backs to make sure that both Thom and he is interviewed. Toward the end the girls we’re needing attention so we had to say goodbye, but there was a lot on his mind as to which position over the other. He weighed one with the next and I hope he tries to keep an open position on both, as does his brother. This first set of opportunities will be important as to how they go on … and if one or the other feels negative then it will play against them. It seem like Thom is leaning toward one he has more self-choice over, and Maury is leaning toward the other where they are being invited by an old friend. But, as we say there will be a couple meetings and then more choices will have to be made. In the meantime, Maury explained an accident he had coming back from the last job interview. He hit the lady in front of him in bumper to bumper traffic. He said it took ten minutes to write 3 lines of information. He said that when I asked him if he was scared. It seems he’s working it out with the insurance company and he had a chance after the accident to talk with a police officer, and he enjoyed that part and didn’t get a ticket, but his car was probably damaged more than worth being fixed. It’s a $1500 car with $3,000 in problems. It is 11 years old and has 130,000 miles on it. It was a second car to both him and his wife. Maury had been driving it because something was wrong with his car and they hadn’t taken it in yet. I hope he’ll get some money out of the car so he can put it down on fixing his regular car.

He also talked about his wife being very busy with gymnastics and work. It didn’t seem like he minded the time being spent with the girls, but I think there is pressure, because she’s complaining of not seeing them enough. His view point is simple … give something up. But, it seems like she’s being very professional in being involved in important things. She was flown this week to a gymnastics meet in Minneapolis. She is a judge. There are never simple answers. We also talked about the wheel chair … he also saw Rich’s side in wanting us to work harder at walking … everyone seems to be seeing this whole chair thing as working backward. He reminded me as will Rich about the family – mother and sister – both being in wheelchairs and that might be just the easier option, which they don’t give the others too much credit for. I don’t know my sister’s problem, but I know she has a lot of physical things going on. My mother had a stroke. But, in each of their situations and mine, we are all very over weight. I guess part of it then might be genetics. I too don’t want to go in whichever direction they are, but I think its not will I go in that direction, but now what do I do with it that I’m here. Maury said to do whatever I needed as a bottom line, but he really emphasized taking other options to help me get out there and be more active. I think it is hard for people to understand I haven’t been out there because I can’t last more than a few moments.

It seems the better option to have a backup for when I’m going down and then to try again. As it is now … we don’t go out to try because there is no backup for when I need the help.

He’s going to be going out soon, but he said we could drop the skates on the other side of his fence and nothing would happen to them there. So, that is a good idea.

Have to see now about getting out. I keep getting the impression that people are suggesting that I’m not trying hard enough. I don’t know if that is true or not. I think very few people try hard enough. Ok, tried that. I called the 800 number on the treadmill, but got a recording asking to call back after 8 am tomorrow. They don’t appear to be open on weekends. I will ask how much to have someone come out to fix-it, or how much it would take to have it repaired. I know our friend said he will look at it, but its either do it now or we’ll have someone else do it. In the meantime, I don’t see any harm getting the other things so I can start right away. The pedometer is going to say she walks 10 steps every two hours.

So, the plan? Take a shower, drive to the car wash, drive to Maury’s, drive to the fruit store, and if there is any money and we haven’t stopped already stop at a florist. Then we bring up the credit card and place the meters order. It’s all from the same company so I’m happy with that. Hopefully, they will all come together. The next plan is to call on Monday the chair place and the treadmill place. Then, I will have to make some decisions. Possibly, I should wait to talk with Dr. Marvin? Grrrr, no ok, well, it was just a suggestion. Nobody wants to do just what other people tell us to do. We want to make our own decisions. AND, nobody wants to tell Rich … ahem, nobody? Wants to tell Rich we already got the money. Maybe though he would help us with the treadmill. The goal would be exercising every day. How could we do that today? The only possibility is the gym, but it would take us longer to get dressed then we could put into the workout. We will work toward that option though. It would be 75-100 pounds or about a year’s work, before we were able to get into a wheel chair that is for people a little smaller. Most chairs go up to 250. We are looking at a chair that’s 24 inches’
I think that we’re going to need planning to get off work and home by 4:30 pm. And, that would give us about a half hour to get to the zoo, and an hour to be there before it closes. The parking should be better at that time too. If Rich is home maybe he could come with us, but if not we have to be ok with that. The zoo goal would then be to walk into the park, and to see how long we can walk. We have to save enough energy to walk back. Maybe make it so there is the up time and then build-up time with our arms, and then sitting-time for progressively less and less time. Just need to see how that goes. Like it shouldn’t matter that we just get inside the gate if that’s as far as we go. Then like the last time we wanted to be able to do the zoo, we can stop and write notes. It might be a good idea to tape the notes, more than write them? Hmm, I think that the PDA allows us to save them, but I don’t know if it’s as good as the regular tape recorder. We could listen to the notes and then type out if there is anything important? Hmm, both are pretty time consuming. Why is it that we need to type out so much of our experiences.

Hmm, interesting all three devises have clocks on them, that’s pretty good. We forgot we wanted Joe to keep the PDA until after he got back from Springfield. The police that talked to Maury thought Joe was pretty far along in that he was going to Springfield. I hope that is a good thing then. I hope that their checks don’t include me. That would be a mess.

Ok, now we had goals, right? ‘Bout time to prove you can get out of that chair.

Let’s go, Hmm??

Ok, good we’re back from the shower. That felt good. There’s a nice breeze coming in too so I think the weather must be fine outside.



Notice how nobody is using that P for paper word. We gotta finish the next one before our buddy gets home … we’re thinking probably about 6-8 hours from now.

Pretty soon, right? About this time they are probably done weighing in everybody’s fish and they know who the winner is. They weigh in at noon, I think. It’s about 1 pm now. I did call Joe by the way just to say hi. I told him I was going to be out in the area, but I’m not sure if he’s still got service, because he answers back so few of the calls. I thought he’d be up by 12:30 pm for sure. I didn’t miss any calls. Hmm, what to question. If I stop for a car wash that will cost $5 and I won’t have enough money to buy flowers. Shoot. What do I do? I know it is Rich that buys the flowers, I don’t want to intrude on something nice he does for me, but then it would be nice for him too? I might have to put in a couple dollars into the gas tank too, I don’t remember where we were at with that. Should we be getting fruit or filling gas tank. Well, yes I know gas is pretty important. Maybe we can split it up … let’s wait on that decision until we see how much gas is left. For sure we bring Lauren the skates. I hope she’ll be safe in them. I don’t know when she’ll have time, but maybe it is something her and Ame can be doing. It would be fun, and I think Maury wants to get into it too. He’s lost 7-8 pounds and is looking into exercising more. Should I go and let my hair dry on the way? Maybe if I leave my window open I should be putting my hair back? Maybe I should pick up here and start the dishwasher? Well, maybe pick-up and start it when we get back … I like to hear it run. Ok, you … get on with it … no sitting about! HMPF!



Ok, we’ve done good. We cleaned up the kitchen loaded the dishwasher and lined it up to the sink, but we’ll turn it on when we get back. Next step should be out the door. I wonder if there is anything else we could be delivering. I don’t think so … not like I have cookies or anything. Just going out for a ride is all. Good time to slow down and just let thoughts pass through unhampered. BUT, no accidents … need to pay attention to the driving, right? Right!

Ok, you get going! BBL

Hehehe we’re back! We’ve been home for a little over an hour, but we’re talking to Deb. And then, she had to leave to get her daughter from work. We had a beautiful time over at Maury’s as it turns out, but then we just called our fishy friend and he is on his way home and just two hours out. Oh man … so excited … we didn’t say much just confirmed he was coming home and that I should save dinner – well, actually he should be doing Chinese for us and he’s driving and two hours away. I don’t know if that meant that his fishing friend was awake or sleeping, but I sure hope I didn’t grow his penis. I was good and didn’t mention it … thought that would be kind of too womanly to encourage sex over fishing. Better not go there … I think too often that he’d give up sex for fishing … don’t want to test out that relationship. Hehehe. I’m satisfied that he does both … and likely he’s going to want to do it after fishing AND before fishing and that all works out just fine. :)

I have to think of something to do with my tummy though so it doesn’t get too bent out of shape. The dishwasher is still drying so I don’t want to take it away from the sink to do the microwave. Thinking thinking … no milk for cereal … oatmeal and anything in the freezer would have to be microwaved. I’m down to salad dressing or an apple, but they are little apples not much good for tying over hungry tummies. Hmm, Maybe if I ate two?? That would be certainly a good Ann, right? Ok, we’ll try that. BRB.



Ahh that hit the spot … I found a yogurt and use it for dipping the two apples. They weren’t very big, but they were juicy. Good stuff. Our Sweetie is coming home that’s about all we’ve been thinking of while eating. Best not to be starved in case someone wants to make love before we eat! WoooHOOO! This is the best part of fishy trips is when he comes home, tickles some pleasures, and sits back to talk and reflect on what’s just happened to him. I ride his smiles and concerns as if vicariously I could be there. Not as they were happening directly, cuz I don’t know how fishy men even talk, but I love hearing the stories. I sure hope that’s not breaking any guy rules. They all pillow talk, right? Shoot, shoot what can I do special for him. I bet you he’s sunburned and he probably didn’t drink enough because then that causes other obvious problems. Better have slushies ready then.

Maybe 10 after we’ll take another shower, then make slurpies and light a few candles :). We’ll need some better music … let me see.



This is the happy picture we took talking to Deb while she helped us wait ... we got into going through some very cool pictures. I can't say enough about her ... but, I shall mark this moment with the thought, "penis rub!" Ok, girls enough of that!