Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Monday, March 30, 2009

Mostly posts from MP.com ... now it's a Monday

Good morning … this is me. I’m not sure if we’ve written over the last couple of days … I better check, Ok, did that … I was right we haven’t written since Thursday morning. It’ going to be a little tough to figure out those several days, but I know the important part is that we’ve been at home since sometime on Thursday.

We had done the work thing including the printer guy, the H&R Block, the bank, the mail, but then we got caught up on the car. We had to bring it to the shop because the brakes were squealing so badly. We stopped to get gas and then we called and made arrangements so that I could get dropped off at home after bringing in the car. I think I had to wait an hour in between so I had come home first. I think that time and ever since has basically been spent on the computer.

I wasn’t able to work it out with Rich the arrangements that would have had him bring me to work on Friday, but we didn’t push real hard for that. He was having a hard day getting things in and then he continued the day by going to his son’s until very late. I think he got home after midnight, but I don’t really recall the details.

Because of the car going into the shop, I wasn’t able to meet Dr. Marvin though we spent 15 minutes on the phone. We both agreed about him not doing appointments over the phone. I think both of us had had a hard week earlier so we were feeling pretty zapped. Sometimes after hard stuff you just gotta spend the time getting back into your lazier life. That meant for me touching base back with both Facebook and MP.com.

I find when those things are behind, we feel behind. I think there are differences between the parts that do that stuff and the ones that don’t, but we’re not really big on trying to figure out what parts are doing what. Just at some point we know priorities have shifted.

This morning we started off with those two again just making sure they were more or less up to date. Part of the work into that involved doing a very long 9 page post again for the Cliques thread. We broke it up to 5 pages of entry. I didn’t get a call out this time from the moderators, so I’m thinking we were ok. There weren’t too many responses back yet, but it hadn’t gone through since about 10:30 pm last night. It’s another period of wondering how its going to be accepted. I hope people don’t get tired of me. There was conversation after the last time about doing the big individual posts compared to the shorter general ones. I felt bad that my work might have left some of them feeling guilty where that shouldn’t of happened at all. There were some responses like I wish I could do that or that there would be more time.

I don’t know why I do it exactly, I know that if I’m doing it that some kind of time or another has been found. Without going to work on Friday it gave me a chance to catch up. There was like 6 pages of posts to go through to get the job done. It takes quite a while and then a certain amount of stick-to-it-ness to continue to the finish given the time it takes to put together.

We won’t go through that part again because we went through it before. This is the end result. I am trying hard then to figure out who each of these people are when we are doing the Facebook.

Posted - 03/28/2009 : 12:17:29
________________________________________

I’m back – how is everyone? It’s the WEEKEND! Well, I might have cheated there … in that I was happy the car broke down on a Friday and I could stay home while it was getting fixed. You might have guessed we’ve been hanging around here most the day. I want to thank everyone who had said such nice things about my last post and I wanted to in part apologize for the clarifications needed in noting long posts weren’t necessary, or that people would be ok if there wasn’t time for that, but when there was time it was ok too. I really do like to write, think and hang with you guys, just I couldn’t do the long posts all the time either, plus I’m not a regular enough character to write consistently every day. I read more than I write. I am in all my glory on days I can sit back like today and pour over all the information given. I don’t know why this particular group is feeding so many of my needs, but I feel very comfortable being here. Thank you to all for that – ESPECIALLY MS Sandy – who seems to welcome me whether I’m here or way over on the Japan side of deployment. She’s just so cool!

Before I start on my next long run I wanted to comment on my own son. Thom’s been in Iwakuni, Japan now for 10 days … WooHOO!! We’re making it! I had several days that were very sad and a bit obsessive, but we did hear from him and that seemed to make all the difference. The first day he IM’d me – oh Lordy … I look over and there he is online most likely talking to his new bride – What GREAT fortune! Well that is if he responds back. I’m still a neglected Mom *Sigh* Like I was saying first night he IM’d, but only so I could call his girl and get her online too *Double Sigh* BUT, one other morning soon after he spent an hour with me in IMs answering my many questions. He was expected to go to his regular base the next day and was looking forward to knowing the new command. I was glad to hear that he wanted to continue his education to get into the next rank … BUT, I know that time will be split between that and his woman! God bless young love.

Ok, maybe I’m invisible again - Thom's time has taken him elsewhere, so we’re going to continue just writing … warms my heart to see that the kid still has not been taken over by a clever Japanese Comic Book character or giant sci-fi monster or nuthin! You might see here how little we know about culture … there’s still time and hope for us! Ok … then moving on and apology to Diane who still might be thinking … she’s still alphabetizing … yes, well then … did I mention our obsessiveness yet? AHA refers back to second paragraph

Alice – Not only are you the first “A” name, you’re from CA which satisfies me reading from left to right (we’re in Chicago :) First question would be … how is the shoulder coming along? I saw just now you are waiting until tomorrow on the MRI ... are you frazzled yet? I wouldn’t worry about not being a tough enough Mom for feeling pain. I’d say you’re pretty tough for taking it on! As to hitting bandit raccoons, seagulls AND people? … No you all didn’t do that did you? I’d like to hear more of your insurance coverage … got to be good! What is good is the poem book that just seems incredibly creative – how are the illustrations coming along? And, is Michael out of medical now and into training? AND, inquiring minds want to know what happened to the green peeps are they still hangin out? It’s got to be part of not wanting to grow up … I heard that … young brain – sounds ok to me – yup yup keep things simple!

Angie – You and certainly that boss ought to talk to Alice about being too old! Keep on truckin! Or, maybe in your case “Keep on runnin!” I feel very similar to you and most others in appreciation of all the Marine Moms here. Living our faith as a Marine parent might be righteous though I’ve never really thought of the word – there is no doubt we believe in the lives of our sons and daughters. Our son is also in Japan now – we’ve got to have a lot of faith to believe all is well in that each day as we go to bed he’s just starting out on his next day’s hard mission – or we’d never sleep! We need to think its ok and that as you say so well – maintain awareness that God is working behind the scenes. I was doing a group this week on sexual abuse. I work with adults with developmental disability. I had to explain the term “being aware” as to them not taking for granted safety in their environments – such as sometimes even family can be abusive. Life would make more sense if we could see God in those we should be respecting and honoring – especially when vulnerable.

Bren – How’s the hubby doing and do you still have so much snow? It seems that you all got that jumbled up and decided to have some colds during the bad weather. Is it over yet? Hmm, one other practical question … did your son get the house rented? I’m thinking that’s what might have happened if he is in need of some of the washer, dryer and mower. It sounds like your son got a promotion if he’s now “over” ammo. It sounds like a leadership position. You give good advice as to enjoying the boys when they are home and not over-thinking things. Sometimes we get in a daze too and realize we’re not being in “real time” with that meaning being into the day or the moment instead of being in yesterday or tomorrow. There’s no doubt being “out of reality” will put you behind the eight ball – and get you behind in spring cleaning! About time to throw open those windows - hoping everyone gets better at your house :)

Charlotte – Wanted to say up front that we should make up some terms on this healthy eating plan … sounds like many have started already, but we’ve been taught – that your never late, just jump in wherever you’re at! So with that said – what are your plans for Saturday? I think we need to get Dana involved here too if not others who seem ready. We could say … we should set a fitness goal and a nutrition goal. Ok, then … I’ll start. For nutrition my goal for Saturday will be just three meals and no snacking and fitness goal will be if I don’t go out on the boat tomorrow due to rain – I will absolutely go to the gym. Does that thinking work for you? Whoops friend just called looks like we’re trading today gym for a walk at the zoo - this counts! I’m sorry to have heard of your friend being in the accident and feel your gratefulness in not having physical injuries. But … wow … the mind – it’s hard to prepare that from breakage. As well, we hope keep your friend with cancer also in our prayers – I will hope she has good support. One question … you had mentioned being in Dana’s shoes - is Nathan going to soon be deployed?

Cheryl – Saw you zoom past here being excited for Kim on the return of her son – I read your footprint in that your son was a former DI/SDI & Educational Instructor at MCRD … Wow! Congratulate him for us and give him our thanks as a once Recruit mother now headed for the big time! I can’t say enough of his work or that of his peers! They are awesome!

Dana – I’m sorry to hear of your Father’s passing. It’s understandable as to you being in deep thought this week. I know when I’m down I tend to look for more sleep. We will pray that when you lay down you get the restful part you need. Your Father seems to have set a good example to your son. I think the money part is hard to get a handle on until the young Marines struggle through management issues. I remember the shock of learning they had to pay for their uniforms. What do you hear this week on deployment? Rushing the date doesn’t seem quite the deal, but you are right in that God is protecting the Marines. This is the part of having faith, right? God Bless!

_____________________________________
Diane – I hope your son is able to maintain his healthier self and that all the little cherubs are getting good hand cleaning lessons. Yeeks! When it rains it pours. I take credit at our agency for pushing the boss to put the Purell Hand sanitizers in each of the group rooms. It’s really cut back on health problems for all. I wanted to ask you though if you’ve heard of an online lady named the FlyLady. You could Google her if you need more support on the housecleaning. I’m not saying I’m perfect, but I get her emails every day and look toward her lessons on decluttering to get me through some insane times. She also taught me about keeping the car cleaned out and having a better attitude, especially about excuses for not working at least 15 minutes a day on the house. She starts her “Flybabies” on cleaning the kitchen sink as the place to begin and then after time her logic settles in and you find your place more and more comfortable. Let me know what you think? She might help you get a handle on it.

Donna – I want to hear about those bravery peeps. So what’s the deal you eat it and then put on some auto courage? Was it only the green ones, and then if so is the bravery season over? I’ve always been partial to pink Easter bunnies! I’m pretty sure that whole Facebook deal is some conspiracy against doing the things we’re supposed to be doing - I had to let it go for a week or so and even this site There are times stuff just gotsta get done *sigh* I had some guilt in that I didn’t have time to say thanks sooner to a lot of people who’d said nice things to me – I didn’t feel able to give it the time commitment that my inner demons demand. Its part of the thing we perfectionists thrive on. You shouldn’t have to apologize … For me … I just think well when writing and I like to do it most free moments I got. I giggled about these being the Big Board’s – that was my thought coming over here too … now after reading Paula I find that we have to learn about Big Girl Panties too!

Heidi – Congrats on having Steven and his friends come home last weekend. You must have been so excited. Were you able to keep up the excitement or was it a down thing after your house was empty of their company? Well – that maybe if there hadn’t been five more kids and a hubby to fill in the empty spaces. After all the press on the Octomom I don’t think I could think of anything under 16 as being truly a large family, but it must be really awesome to have that much love in the house to share. My three boys were within 4 years of each other so when one left it seemed the all trickled out nearly as fast. Can you remind me again that 3 years old can be tough?

Kim – Wow Wonderwoman is back! Good luck on the car! Nah lady you couldn’t have scared me away for too long. Well you were a little scary with the message on donating to the worthy cause of Marine Parents moving! Wow … Like licitly split I read your message and sprinted into the kitchen to grab my credit card! Not going to catch this warrior falling asleep on post! I agree on everything said on the value of MP.com and the thought that we should all support its needs … Tracy is really short on the capital to get things done. I’m btw glad to hear that your Father is doing better and you’ve heard my excitement for Glenn being on home grounds. Any luck on breaking ground in the communications department? Hmm, looking over to Thom still signed in online for nearly 4 hours now. It be 2:30 pm there now, so maybe he’s stepped away from the computer. Must have … we don’t want to imagine he’s IGNORING his mother? Hmm … As to other parts of the missing Ann conundrum … we had some legal problems this week … some crazy lady sent me a subpoena because she thought my kids were her husband’s. Like really … “Get out of here!” Is there an up and coming attorney in the house? Well teasing there, but it was sort of hairy!

Linda – hmm looking for care package withdrawal people … AHA! Sounds like another worthy cause project! Well you can figure that I’d be able to let go of $22 more dollars to sponsor at least one Marine care package. I figure it’s like Zu-zu’s bell being tickled and through request of an angel we should kick a little more into the pot. You all have such good hearts! It looks like only $150 has been raised for the June 6th drop … good time to make a small difference – this one is in honor of Thom’s birthday April 25th – you can write that right in on the outgoing package! Ooh-Rah!! We also appreciated your wise words of encouragement while sons are deployed in as far as thinking positive and that peace and strength coming from not only the Lord, but as well from the simple life pleasures that can calm a soul. While thinking of Thom’s birthday we went over to Amazon and ordered some books that were on a Marine reading list up through Corporal. I liked the idea you present in sending care packages to our sons … I know he’s not asking for anything, but I want him to look forward to the mail coming in too

Lou - it’s nice to meet you – I hadn’t seen you last time I rumbled through. Three deployments, wow … that says all that needs to be said … that’s some set of Mom skills you must have developed. But, then I haven’t seen a moderator not having excellent Mom skills and abilities … you guys rock!
________________________________________
Mary – you made me smile in getting all the communication from your son. He’s setting himself to be a good role model in taking the business courses. I hope my son follows suit. We’re giving him no excuse for not having good reading material. I don’t know what motivates them to wanting to climb rank, but to know that they are learning – well it just feels so much more protected like they are really taking care of themselves. As to plane rides I’ve already started imagining myself doing the long hours to get to Japan. We looked last week at Google Earth and discovered if we kayak from Hawaii – Japan is only 3,879 miles … in total from driving and kayaking from Chicago it’s 9,323 miles and would take 36 days and 1 hour to get there … BUT, that’s crossing through North Dakota and I’m not sure how stable that is this week, plus I understand we’re almost up to Washington’s rainy season … Yikes! I’ll need to pick up a new coffee pot and I’d definitely be in the pink peeps time zone!

Michelle – I can imagine that you must be falling over yourself in excitement. By my means of reckoning your son is just about 2 days out from coming home. That is a whole lot of looking forward. 9-10 days slips by so fast. I remember Thom’s first time home and him trying to make it to everyone’s places to get his visiting done. I think it must have worn him out, because the next time he came home and stated to that entire group he was just going to be spending private time with his wife. I can’t imagine him having given up all the poker games with his brothers, Dad and friends, but you can never bet on a young man’s heart! We add our prayers to all of yours in hoping that everyone is going to be ok feel God’s strength and gives us the patience to continue in the darkness of our difficulties. We hope that you and your family are over any colds and are ready with open arms to receive that special Marine! Congrats!

Missy – How is the cookie baking coming along? I was wondering with the suggestion of placing cookies in Pringle containers if you had to eat all the chips on your own or whether that became a family affair. Congrats on getting to chat with your Marine. I can only imagine the nervous smile on his face thinking that his mother had taken over what is most like his favorite possession. You’re tweaking all of us in the excitement and sensuality of flying down the street with tresses blown to the wind! I think you must be warming the season from the inside your zippy heart outward :) I hope that your midterms went well and can imagine you are now down the long stretch toward finals. I think this is the lull time in thinking that you’ve got time, but knowing in all actuality there’s yet a ton of work to do. Please accept all my extra hugs in matching the enthusiasm of those long nights as your eyes quickly skim, your keyboarding fingers dance, and your mind is exploding in the joy of newfound learning!

Nancy – It be a real good idea to start a support group for healthy eating and fitness – and on the side – we wanted to remind you again that spring is in our midst! We’re thinking that with so many of the guys like yours are going to be deploying soon so there’s going to be a lot of spare nervous energy that could be channeled more usefully. It is encouraging that you are starting the new eating plans. We support you entirely in your goals already put forward! I’m on the mother-side of the board too in not hearing from my son nearly enough, but we think of him enough to cover the both of us in thought sets. I thought some about the term letting go and then changed that set of thoughts to just “letting be.” Maybe it’s just semantics, but the first seemed more like incorporating loss where the second felt closer to a sense of joy that some of the others like Angie had incorporated in her thoughts and prayers. I’m playing all kinds of mental games to settle my mind. If I focus I can appreciate that the worry is just excess energy keeping me on hyper alert where calmer thoughts would better serve an even sense of graciousness in just breathing in the normal days. Our prayers extend to you and yours!

Nancy Lynn – Are you feeling any better? I understand the sense of catching up on the reading. I came back like 1 ½ weeks later and there’d been like 6 pages added to the Cliques board. I thought of it as positive that your son has been put on light duty. I bet you its making his head sore and if he’s anything like my son – he’d be looking at getting back to PT! How did the delivery of your nephew’s wife go? Is everyone happy? There must be so much excitement! The other happy thought might be in thinking you are going to be going soon to Hawaii to visit Anthony. Have you ever been there before? Are plans in the work? Reading these posts allow me to share the joy of others. I see mental images of reunions and gathering or simple pleasure in receiving the proverbial cookie package and I feel warm and accepting of life. I think the prayers coming from Marine Moms (MM) have to be strong enough to hold up most of heaven! We’re all told a very powerful group of people – I’m glad I’m in it with you and others like us!
________________________________________
Nina – Are you ok? Where are you? Pretty sure you’ve by now celebrated you birthday and we’re hoping between that and all the other five family birthdays – you’re just tired and tuckered out from all that celebrating! I would wish people don’t feel bad for going for the longer individual posts. I’ve always been a little eccentric when it comes to my desire to write. I start thinking and I can’t stop. If I’m not here you can bet I’d be writing dozens of pages somewhere else. I’ve kind of got this stomping ground I favor and it’s just now the Cliques board has caught my attention. Have you had any luck in catching the attention of your home computer? It’s nice to think that a couple of mothers here have sons in Japan like us and that for you your family and Bren’s share in having son’s working with ammo. At that we’ll just ease in here a few extra prayers. I imagine you must worry, but in consideration of the larger families inclusive of hubby’s, kids and animals – we’re guessing you’ve worked out systems to de-stress! Yup … so good eating, right? Hanging tight with you!

Pam – How’s the weight loss coming along? I talked over a few goals earlier, but I’m thinking now that I should probably include getting on the scale. Reality! Brrr. Well at least I have on my skinny pajamas … it be way out on a limb to be wearing the flannels getting up on that scale! I congratulate your son in having called his father for his birthday … that kind of gesture makes up for scores and scores of days where things are feeling more tentative – thinking for sure this is what makes up what you’d referred to in as God’s glory. I’m on a real celebration theme here today. I’m all sparkled up on thinking of the gifts our children bring us – both children away and at home. It makes me feel good now that we’re on the deployed family side to know that the excitement and joy our son Thom makes us feel is getting shared with a whole new deserving set of folk. Thom had wondered about what his new command was going to be like and if he could continue to joke with them as his last command, but in my heart – I know that they’re going to take him in and love him just as people usually do – after all he’s a Marine and family is family! I hope that the recent news you’ve gotten will just go to making her a stronger Marine Mom!

Paula – Are you getting closer to be snowless? Wishing you the best there! Congrats at having your son home because that’s bound to make any Mama proud. I’m thinking though already that the 10 days is nearly over and there’s a little sadness around. The idea of enjoying the time now and worrying later seems very sensible as are many of your thoughts. Well except that thought on the Big Girl Panties … we’re really not into that flow … ya know some girl’s need bigger panties than others … and we’d be one of those. Now we’re not talking our former life MN Paul Bunyan size, but pretty large! I find that this has nothing to do with my level of bravery. That comes from swinging our mighty magical light saber sword. Well almost … we didn’t quite add that application to our IPod, but to tell you the truth we were considering. Must be something to do with being a Marine Mom? Or, could we classify this as keeping our mind occupied? Our prayers to you and yours!

Sandy – Are you still hanging with us here – almost done … We tried to break things down, though found we had the same volumes to be writing about. I can’t imagine how you get to so many posts in one week. I’d like to say we are backing down the productivity of our thoughts, but I’m afraid to say … it might be an exaggeration of will power! Our best to you and yours :)

Scheryl – You are in our admiration group like Kim, Sandy and others for what you are doing here on MP.com. We look forward to seeing your hugs whether for us or others. We’re not having a baby getting those kinds of hugs, but it may count that our Marine is going to turn a brand new 27 within the next month? Oh Lordy to think of having to start all those years over again … It be worth a good psychiatry session though the story ends happily ever after!

Sherrie – WooHOO! Saving the best for last, hmm? Congrats on just seeing your son again. It must be very exciting to know he will soon be home. I’ve got another friend on MP.com whose son is coming in now too. There’s just so much excitement in the air. I’m trying to get an Amazon order through so we can try that deal on getting out the first care package. We know our son got into his regular base this week after being in Japan for 10 days, but we don’t yet know his mailing address. It feels like starting off in bootcamp all over again. We went through some crushing moments, but are now thinking more like an excited puppy waiting for new news to come through the door! I know you’ve been here before and probably have scads of stories to tell. Love is definitely in the air and it feels almost as thick in positive spirit as the density of homemade pea soup. I think you could come to MP.com and learn to define motherhood at its best. Our best to you and all yours!
________________________________________
VPM of Lance Corporal Thom (Ann)
2651 Special Intelligence System Administrator/Communicator,
PDS Iwakuni, Japan 3-16-09 (plus 3 years)
MOS Corry Station, Pensacola, FL 2-20-09
MCT - Fox Company, Camp Pendleton, CA 7/15/08
1st RTBN, Alpha Co., Plt 1002, MCRD-SD, 6/6/08
also VPM of Maury and Joe, VPMIL to Lauren and Alexis,
VPGM of Austin, Ami and Isa and
VPL (lover) of Rich

It's about "all" of us

Back again … it seems like there are about 24 people using the thread at this time. There’s a whole lot going on. There’s a lot of information that isn’t getting used when we post, but it seems to help in putting together our thoughts, because we can siphon out the parts that feel the most important to address. I think the most important point that had been missed; though maybe I missed it was that one of the girls had told others about being sad her father had died last fall. I wanted to make sure she got some kind of support on that because it was such an important issue for her.

I’ll check it again in about an hour or two to see if people have gotten up yet. But, in general I think people don’t get up like we do and go immediately to the computer. Maybe they do, but just it’s hard to expect stuff right away, especially when there are only so many moderators to go around.