Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Monday, February 23, 2009

Ok, Startin up a Monday is Standard Fair, Right?

Good morning. This is me. We’re all shined up and polished like a shiny penny. Well, at least we took our shower, we could go that far. We’ve only got about 40 minutes though before it is time to get going. Rich reminded me that I had to go in on time in case I wanted to take some time to be off with Thom.

Thom was like the subject of the night. I think we’d told you he was at his brothers, but then Alexis picked him up and something had happened and Thom got out of the car while he was still in the suburbs and that of course upset Alexis.

Alexis called and we were in touch with Joe and Maury. Alexis had asked me to have Joe pick him up. Joe of course tried that, but then Thom refused to be picked up and then he wasn’t to be found when Joe went back out there after finding he wasn’t at his Dad’s.

I’m not sure who thought at first he’d be at Laura’s with his son Austin, but that is where he eventually turned up. He had everyone calling and text messaging him and he finally texted back Jose to say that we should all stop worrying over nothing basically.

I was just relieved to know where he was. We talked to Alexis for a bit trying to calm that situation down. I worried more about her then Thom because I figured he was just in the suburbs and he was a Marine trained to take care of himself. I felt bad that Alexis was being wrung through the wringer with Thom’s emotions. I feels she needs all the support she can get. I really like Alexis.

Both Joe and Alexis were worried about Thom being suicidal. I know their thoughts are very important … especially when assessing Thom at this level. I tried to stay on the more positive side. I think that was the right thing for me to do. It would have been too easy for both me and Alexis to be unnerved … I knew I had to stay grounded. It’s not that she wasn’t, but she was handling things more emotionally where I was trying hard to be rational.

I’m afraid this might have come off to her that I was less caring; it’s just that I’m able to look at the bigger picture knowing Thom’s family is a strong support to him. I really thought he’d call someone before he tried anything. I wasn’t so sure he wasn’t drinking, but then even then I was encouraged in the thoughts that he’d call reasonably for someone to pick him up.

So, that was pretty much it of the night. We had the award show on … oh yeah the Oscars, but we weren’t really paying a lot of attention to it, it was just a place to focus our eyes … light thinking. We ended up going to bed I assume much sooner than it had gotten over … maybe about 9:30 pm. Rich had snuck off to bed before us and we just had to finish the fudgsicle.

It’s just a time-honored bedtime routine that let’s us know that everything will be ok.

There wasn’t anything else more important that happened with our day. We spent a good amount of time all the way up until Rich was about to serve dinner working on learning Marine stuff. We found this site which had a publication from the Marines called MarineCorps Concepts and programs that they put out every year … and we had the 2008 program. We skimmed this pretty good, but didn’t have time to read the detail programs. I would like to go back and do this maybe tonight while we’re watching TV. This is the link.

http://www.usmc.mil/units/hqmc/pandr/Documents/Concepts/2008/toc.htm

I was really impressed in that it was giving a very full and comprehensive picture of the Marines and what they were doing and how they were ordered and such. The last thing I looked up over there was a small section on about 12-15 different demographic pages. I thought it was very very educational. I like that the Marines put as much information out there as possible.

We are still hovering over the MarineParents.com website as well. We’re into a few threads, but unfortunately the weekend was really slow in the response category.

Our last thoughts go to whether or not Dr. Marvin could see Thom with me and maybe with Alexis. I think realistically Thom is going through a lot … like Alexis they have their marriage and communication issues, but as well Thom has to be thinking through being in Japan for 3 years and I think in general we could be working on setting up a support network. I’m not sure all of what I expect here, but I want Thom in a situation where he gets to vent some of the emotional things that seem to be causing such uproar. I think is he could be calm the marriage would be in less problem shape. No doubt they could use marriage counseling, but that would take a lot of effort with them being far apart. I do think that the Marines have some kind of family support, again … I think I stated yesterday, that I don’t know if Thom wants this to go on his records.

I’d really like it if Dr. Marvin let us set up that Thom come in over the next four weeks while he is at home. I’d like better to understand his situation. I’d like Alexis to be a part too. Just don’t know if the two of them could be calm enough in a session to make things be on the right track. Maybe idealistically, one week Thom would come in and then one week Alexis and then a couple of weeks they’d come in together.

I might be dreaming up a blue streak, because I know Dr. Marvin is going to be talking about conflict of interest. He’s there to support me first I know that, but I’d be a lot less stressed if I knew that Thom and Alexis were going to be ok and that Thom was more emotionally set to be going to Japan. I see it at this point like a family issue.

Maybe one solution would be to have Maury and Joe come in too … and have it be family orientated. I know this is a long shot, but it would really serve me fine to have everyone come in and talk about the deployment. It be a very good situation all around.

Hmm, can we get our mind past this this morning? Not sure. We are going to need going into the day as a normal Monday. We’ve got probably about 2 weeks before we get the next trainer for Group 1. We already worked somewhat with the new Friday trainer for Group 1, but we have a lot more training to do. I hope that we can really get some time in to be talking to Thom without his defenses being up. Hmm, are we backing to that again?

Shh, be good now…

Ok, and then let’s see what shall be our final summary. You may or may not have known that Rich went into work before our shower and that he’s planning on being home tonight. I really already look forward to that.

Work is going to be about QNOTES!!!! We’ve got to get a handle on that because we made no progress on that absolutely last week. There was a lot of time taken up with the signing. We’ve still got that to be going through, but I’m not sure if the signers will be included in today’s practice.

There’s so much to be doing and so little time. Now I just wonder … did I clean up my desk before leaving? That would sure be nice. Hmm, one other thing. We’ve used up all our space on the flash drive. We’re going to need thinking through that and if we can get connected to Google about releasing the money to the H&R Card. What a headache that all turned out to be. At least I know that by default it will return to the account by March 6th, but that’s yet two weeks off. *sigh*

Ok, let’s not borrow trouble this morning ok? Just gotta keep going.