Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Monday, January 26, 2009

Lets Just Say the Day is Over

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/

Good morning … this is me … we wanted to start off with something we’d left on our computer yesterday afternoon. Politifact now has a truthometer and a Obameter. I didn’t look at the truthometer as much as the Obameter. It states stuff like this:

No. 1: Increase the capital gains and dividends taxes for higher-income taxpayers

Increase capital gains and dividends taxes from 15 to 20 percent for those making more than $250,000 (couples) or $200,000 (single)
>>More

No. 2: Eliminate all oil and gas tax loopholes

"Eliminating special tax breaks for oil and gas companies: including repealing special expensing rules, foreign tax credit benefits, and manufacturing deductions for oil and gas firms."
>>More

No. 3: Eliminate capital gains taxes for small businesses and start-ups

"Barack Obama understands that small businesses are the engines of our economy, and he will eliminate all capital gains taxes on investments in small and start-up firms."
>>More

No. 4: Extend child tax credits and marriage-penalty fixes

Will extend aspects of the Bush tax cuts such as child credit expansions and changes to marriage bonuses and penalties.
>>More

No. 5: Expand the earned income tax credit

Expand the earned income tax credit for workers without children and taxpayers with more than three children. Equalize threshholds for married filers and head of household filers.
>>More

There are 510 items in the Obameter. And those more links at the bottom are real important … the first part is just a calling card.

This is an example of a link where the promise was met. They have categories of:

Promises Kept
Compromise
Promise Broken
Stalled
In the Works
No Action

Looking at Promise No. 125 you can tell that the promise was kept
Barack Obama Campaign Promise No. 125:

Direct military leaders to end war in Iraq
On "my first day in office, I would give the military a new mission: ending this war".

Sources: New York Times Op-Ed column, July 14, 2008

Updates:

Obama orders 'responsible' withdrawal from Iraq

Updated: Wednesday, January 21st, 2009 | By Angie Drobnic Holan
On Jan. 21, 2009 -- his first full day in office -- President Obama met privately with the military commanders in charge of Iraq.

The White House announced that morning that attendees were to expected to include the following: Vice President Joe Biden; a representative from the State Department; Secretary of Defense Robert Gates; White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel; National Security Advisor Gen. James Jones; Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Michael Mullen; Gen. David Petraeus, Commander in Chief, U.S. Central Command; U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Ryan Crocker; and General Ray Odierno, commander of the Multi-National Force in Iraq. Odierno was expected to join via video conference.

After the meeting, Obama issued a statement, included below in its entirety:

"This afternoon, I met with our Ambassador to Iraq, the commander in Iraq, and the overall theater commander in the region in order to get a full update on the situation in Iraq. Key members of my cabinet and senior national security officials also participated in this meeting.

"The meeting was productive and I very much appreciated receiving assessments from these experienced and dedicated individuals. During the discussion, I asked the military leadership to engage in additional planning necessary to execute a responsible military drawdown from Iraq.

"In the coming days and weeks, I will also visit the Department of Defense to consult with the Joint Chiefs on these issues, and we will undertake a full review of the situation in Afghanistan in order to develop a comprehensive policy for the entire region."

Promise kept.

Sources:

The White House Office of the Press Secretary, statement from President Obama, Jan. 21, 2009.

The statements always give a source or sources where the item first appeared and then in the updates … well you can see the progress in the update and then again you can see the source. Often there are direct links to the sources if they are available, so when I looked at a few health statements they led me directly back to Obama’s Health Care Plan … I thought that and another on Disabilities were interesting enough to read in totality. You know that my memory won’t do things like that, but as we were reading it was very helpful. If I had studied it more I would have been able to start seeing commonalities between the things being worked.

One of the first questions I thought of was … hey does Obama have a copy of this? I think it would be real nice to have something to be checking off. I don’t know if he’d already kept track of it, but this list makes a lot of sense. I’m not sure of the order like is 1 the oldest and 510 the newest? That would make the most sense, because they could be adding to it. I can’t believe there were so many promises made. I found out about this on CNN so I have to figure it just went out. They also showed a statement where Obama was asking to be kept on track. I would think something like that inspired this move through St. Petersburg Times. Or, maybe it’s just one of those progressions on time.

Hey, did we not that other new thing through CNN? It’s still making news. We’re talking about the Photosynth project called, “The Moment.” I talked to Dr. Marvin about it … he’d heard it, but hadn’t looked at it yet. We heavily encouraged because it’s so gosh darn cool. For those who don’t know about it, CNN collected 1000’s of pictures that were all taken the moment that President Obama raised his hand to take the Oath, and then through new technology they melted all the picture together so there is like this one very, very huge picture of the whole scene from all directions and depths.

Oh … cool, cool … I guess this technology is being done through Microsoft. If you would like to see the CNN picture which is HUGE … look here …

http://edition.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2009/44.president/inauguration/themoment/

but if you want to go play personally with the photosynth you can go to …

http://photosynth.net/Default.aspx

You have to sign on, but you can create your own synth – just it then becomes public property.

Pswhoo. It’s been all morning since I wrote that last sentence. It’s now 12:45 pm … though still Sunday. Babyface is still here because it’s rumored that his friend got lucky. So basically, Rich has been on-line looking to be making purchases for his fishy world. He had watched his show, and then he let me watch my show. I wanted to watch the new John King show on CNN. I was happy that he gave me the time, but I was afraid to get up from the couch because I thought I’d lose my viewing space.

Now he’s on the phone with Bob and he’s telling him he thinks he’s just going to stay home and continue his shopping from here. They were teasing pretty bad. Rich said something to Bob about Bob’s prosthetics … I can only imagine what that might have meant. *Giggle* Everything is competitive.

Ok, enough said there. Like we’ve said we’ve been off-schedule all day and am just now starting to write and it’s so late in the day there’s no good way to be doing anything. Sometimes I wonder about why we plan when we spend so much time then canceling our plans and doing just what feels right at the moment. I know this has something to do with parts just wanting to do what they want, and I’ve been as guilty as the rest. While we’re thinking one thing it takes stress off doing others.

I don’t want to go into all those comparisons, because there is a bigger part of me that gets disappointed with our selves than not.

One of the things we did when we sat down again was to take another look at the Pulte house. They are offering 3.99% interest or a year off the first year’s mortgage. I know that is though for well qualified buyers which means putting 20% down. That’s a lot of money. I think it’s just meant to get people through the door.

Oh one more thing on the synth … just want to put in mind that it could be really useful for the fishing pictures we’d like to take. I could see some real nice stuff. Hmm, it reminds us that we have to get a new cord for our camera battery.

Man … that was hard. We ended up getting the new battery charger and that came with the adapter for the car and a couple new batteries, and then we ended up getting a new case which was smaller than the other – and we got a halter for it to secure it to our body – that was only an $8 item. We are getting ready for our new fishy season.

I had forgotten though that we wanted to be looking at a Net Book.