Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Monday, December 24, 2007

That little red number

Good morning. This is me. It’s 5:51 am on Sunday morning … we have some time to go on our vacation and case in point – there is still a couple of days left before Christmas. Oh man there is much spirit and merriment in the air. Thom mad a comment yesterday about Christmas songs sounding pretty much one like the other … and thinking about it now … I say … umhmm. Yup that’s like being a mom accepting the sappiness of life. It might even be a requirement hehehe.

Let us skip to that part immediately and then maybe we’ll come back and fill in some of the details as time arranges itself. We had the most wonddddddddddderful time last night! *Giggling* EVEN the time with zonking out in Sweetie Pie’s arms while watching a movie … I think it was a scarier one … I’m not sure, cuz we didn’t remember it. We just like the part of snuggling. I think he must let us get by with it until the guy phenomena of fallen arm disorder takes over. Oh what merry days these are. But before that and before that?? Well and even before that?

Hehehe – it was such a gorgeous day in that Rich stayed home most of the day, then Thom and Joe and me went out for dinner and then Joe and me went out to get Rich’s gifts. Well, ok … maybe there might have been a few for me … cuz that might have been the way it worked out … like there is one gift of a Santa type hat where it says “Lil Angel,” he might want to share that with ME!!! WooHOO!!

I’m so excited about the day … I don’t know where to start really. Maybe backward?

Hmm, that’s really not my style … Maybe, maybe … oh shoot .. don’t know. Maybe a little about where I’m at right now. I want to make sure we get in all the good stuff today. I’m not sure what time Rich will be leaving, but I’m thinking around 11-12 pm. I think he’s meeting up with his son for some shopping at 1 pm. I haven’t heard him talking to anyone over the last couple of days like brother and mother. I think his brother is in town, but he should be able to get him at his mothers. HA! The spirit is in the air! We asked him if he’s shopped for us yet and he says not yet, but he’s working up toward it. And, we keep reminding him of the $20 rule. I tell him you are remembering, right? And, then I reminded him yesterday that we haven’t gone over the limit, but we may have spent $13 on ourselves. His back was turned, but he might have chuckled over that.

We figured it out pretty good. It was a little expensive, but we got some garbage bags and asked joe to put our bags inside of them, and then when we were a couple of blocks away, we called Rich and asked if he’d meet us downstairs to carry the bags upstairs. That was a hard decision to come to, because now he knows the nature, feel and weight of his presents. AND, he knows that most likely that the presents Joe and us were shopping for were his. But, I’d let him know that we were going shopping with Joe, because we needed help with the cart since we’d have the wheel chair. I know we keep repeating this stuff and we’re so sorry, but as the different parts take ownership it seems that we have to go over and over the plans and events to get it right. We’re so sorry … but it IS Christmas you know … ya gotta get it down JUST right!

Ahh … just went in for more coffee and someone got a fudgesicles. Coulda seen that comin. It was the last thing that was being said last night as Rich was putting us to sleep … but we didn’t even have our fudgesicles yet. Uh huh … yup yup. He was saying patiently … there are no rules saying you have to have a fudgesicles … I think we were so tired … we couldn’t even argue the point. Lot’s of shopping decisions. We’ll probably give you a full shopping breakdown later though. There is just NOOOO way, we could remember all the gifts gotten. It was mostly fun, but serious too … Joe and us went down almost all the aisles. We skipped clothing aisles and we skipped most the food aisles. We went to a place closer to him that he knew about and had gone to. We were kind of taken back at first because there were so many items that were more than $1 – like $5 or $6, or $9. That was like scary. But, then with Joe’s confidence, we started looking around and finding the $1 deals. We went up to $1.50, but wouldn’t budge higher for nuthin! Hhehe

I thought we got some pretty cool stuff. Joe wouldn’t help us with the decisions too much, but he did help us with the counting of the dollars. As it was thought, we came out under estimate … we only spent like $33 … so we took on Joe’s couple items and he had a $5 photo album, but as you could imagine we were feeling pretty Christmas generous. Then the lady at the register was asking if we’d like to donate our change to something and both joe and us agreed she could have the 19 cents, and then since we’d come in with a $50 to spend – we gave Joe the extra $10. We told him when a woman intends to get rid of some serious money … that’s it … it’s like good as gone. Funny mom!

We did excellent in the money department too … we left the waitress a 26% tip, but the bill had come to only $23 for 3 people … It was like man! Gotta do that much more often .. I think she made some kinda error! But, Joe said that sounded about right … we went to more of a diner type place – Joe’s and my favorite and just Thom had a pop – Joe said we averaged about $7 meals so it made sense. I have to take these sons out more often! Joe had a gyro, fries and soup, Thom had a hamburger and fries, and us??? We had a grilled cheese, cottage cheese and soup! WooHOOO!!!! We did it … our first restaurant trip out and we held tight! We’re very proud of ourselves 

Before we got to the boys, we were like 25 minutes early, so we stopped off at my favorite gas station out there (cheap car wash) and got some (expensive) trash bags. AND, of course the cheap car wash. I wasn’t going to drive my kids in a dirty car … HMPF for RICH! Well, that and it WAS ONLY $3! I love that place!

Having a clean car with this car makes me feel like I’m driving a gangsta car! I was so pleased that when Thom got in – first that his first reaction was – this is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Then he commented on how much viewing space out of the windows. Thinking back that was my first impression too. We told him about the cats that we’d caught hanging out in front of my headlights, but neither of the boys believed it was a dozen. HMPF! Obviously, I underdid their counting skills.

We just did small talk really … for their benefit I won’t repeat all the conversations, but in general we talk and talk and talk … it was a very good time.

And, then I’ll go back and underline that. I got a little bit of teasing … I’d forgotten about that. Not bad teasing, but just enough to make us flush and maybe loose a tear or two now. Not because we feel bad, but because we love those kids so much. This is the first time since they’ve been adults since we’ve been out with Joe and Thom. I had such an incredibly good time with the both of them. I just can’t tell you. Ok, using both hands to wash away the tears now … better stop that. God Bless us everyone the good - and the bad the happy the sad - family and friends – it’s good to be here again…

It’s the magic of Christmas day …

There was one part … just a moment … I was talking to Thom before Joe came out. I asked him if either of his brothers had talked to him about my Christmas present and if he would accept it … and he asked back why wouldn’t he … I said because there have been years in the past where you would not have … he said in response to a couple of my queries, “I wouldn’t have a problem with that.” The last statement I made was … “Very cool … Joe has the cards for everyone” – Thom’s quick response – “Now that I have a problem with” I just laughed and laughed. This kid is such a momnational treasure. He teases and plays and has the most excellent sense of humor. I think it is funnier yet knowing that Joe is the most honorable card in the deck. Just so darn funny. It’s just the smallest little things these kids say or think and I feel, think believe … it just seems so gosh darn profound.

Damn … back to crying again. The whole evening was like that … it was just bright and cheerful and wonderful. I could lose the entire day to these feelings, and maybe we will slip back and forth, but I know that I have to carry forward. I want to be a part of so many more with Thom and his brothers. I know that decisions not to be around me were Thom and not his girl friend’s, but Thom mentioned having another girl and I felt fretful thinking … oh no, please don’t let me lose him again. Please don’t make me ever go years and years without him. Ok you shhhhh, shhhhh … back up … tears rolling down cheeks. Why don’t we go take that medicine, ok … shhhh … please?

Hey you~!! It’s now 9:33 am. So much has happened since the last time. We took our medicine, but then we saw Rich scurry across the cold floor and then we nabbed him in bed and acted like chipmunks!!! Joy with all the angels sing Hallelujah!

Ok, now 10 am. We stopped and had our yogurt … now we need to warm our fingers.

Ahh that’s a little better … held them to our face and neck … though now those areas are paralyzed. It’s very cold and windy here. Rich says it’s about 50 mph out there … there. He lined the front glass balcony door with towels because of the extension cord going through there and leaving a crack. I’ve got on my fluffy slippers, my sweatshirt jacket and a warm blanket. It’s so windy it blew over a tree down the end of the street … the police are down there trying to figure out what to do with it hehehe. Good for them! My kitties are like pswhoo … c’mon, come back to bed.

Rich is at his computer now looking at his email and we just finished watching the early morning … whoops he’s on the phone.

Man time is passing fast … now it is past 10:30 am.

Ack now … it is 11:06 am. I don’t even remember all the little things that are happening except last time we got “snacks” and Rich fixed the tape dispenser. I had a cup of V8 and Rich had a couple of bowls of soups. I wasn’t going though for the position he was trying to defend where he got bowls of soup for both snack AND lunch. HUH?! Like I wasn’t born yesterday! We tried to encourage him because he was at 293 which is a new low for him, but stubborn, is stubborn. We’ll see … yah know if I gotta pass him, I will … HMPF!

He’s in the washroom now and will soon be in the shower. He’s got to leave here about 12- 12:15 pm to meet his son at 1 pm. They are going shopping and may take in a movie and might go out for dinner. AND … I hear that his older son is coming in at 9:30 pm. He was kind of crabby about that and the younger volunteered to pick him up, but then Rich wouldn’t hear of it, because it allowed him to be with his older son for an extra hour. Dad’s they are like that you know. Maybe … he could come in and take a nap? I think he’s going to bring in a Christmas movie.

Hmm, now it’s about 11:30 am. I think it was a bit confusing and it will continue that way unless we develop an extra pair of ears. There needs to be made choices of Christmas shows, football, or Christmas music. I think football is the strongest because we’re starting off with the Bears at noon. The Patriots play at 3:15 and the Vikings play tonight, but then maybe Rich can save a special time with a special x-mas movie for the littles. And, then we can be put to bed when he goes back out …

Yup, yup that works, then maybe we get some time to write … we haven’t put together a long post for a bit … and there are so many things … and we want to be at OH and we need to be wrapping presents … shoot there is so much to be doing. I think though as soon as Rich leaves its going to be football and presents though.

I’m not sure where the presents are going to be … the one tree is too close to my recliner and the other tree is too close to the office chair … let me look. Maybe back by that whole wall along the treadle and back shelves by the couch … would need to move the cat clawing tree and protect the area around the electrical sockets … wouldn’t want presents catching on fire. Hmm boards in back closet – hmm, very good thinking. We could take two or three out – small ones and frame in the area … I’m just afraid of losin the small presents. We’ll get things squared away just right … it will be good and pushed back so we can still get to the TV and away from the recliner. I like a nice long wall. We’ll take a picture when we’re done before the presents get opened up. I don’t think volume-wise – there are as many as we would like Rich brought them up in two low-sunken garbage bags. I guess we got small presents … shoot hate when that happens. BUT, it will be ok, because it was the thought that counted. Right?

I wish we could have gotten his clothes printed out, but we forgot about that part and it wasn’t something I could have asked the boys to do. Hehehe we showed it to Dr. Marvin on Thursday. We kind of disappeared for a second after saying something about him being a doctor doctor when he saw the kind of underwear we were interested in having Rich wear … He was respectful, but I swear his eyes never stop dancing.

Not because of the underwear, but because I think he enjoys life just that much.

Maybe for Christmas morning I will have to blow up a big picture of the clothing?

Hmm, that would be a challenge to develop a full-two screen composite. Hmm, maybe not I want to scroll it past him and explain it a bit. Don’t want to startle him with how many underwear we looked at for his sake. But, man I dream of that red number.