Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Chief Star Witness for the Prosecution

Good morning. This is us again we’re trying something new, but like many features, we’re just outside the circle. Basically, it’s a simple procedure of loading our blog from the new Word2007. The reason we are trying this is to see if we can get around the problem we’re having of maintaining paragraph structure. Lately, it has had to be done by hand. The program wouldn’t take my log on information so I don’t have high hopes. But, let’s check this out, ok?

Are we all good?

Well, that was a no go … it will not register my account so we are not able to make those updates. We’ll continue struggling along and see how things go. Eh, nothing that a hot cup of coffee couldn’t fix.

Well. Now that we’re finally here … it’s 8 am, we need to write about our excitement of the morning. We were being slightly aroused by our best buddy Chief – hero of the hour! It was about 6 am and we heard a big crash and then a car alarm went off … We jumped up and looked out the window and we saw … yes a white Ford Bronco pulling away from where it appeared he’d just crashed into a car parked in front of our house on the street. We grabbed our phone and called 911. It took a minute or so, but they answered and we reported what we’d seen. I told her that the white vehicle had pulled away, but that his alarm was still on. She asked for a confirmation that it was a white ford bronco, which we couldn’t do, but we thought apparently someone else also called it in. But as we were talking … which was only a couple of minutes, the white truck with the alarm still going off could be heard close by and then he pulled into our driveway from the south. The lady said that the police we’re on their way. They took a couple of minutes getting here, and then it occurred we should see what happened out back. The alarm had been discontinued, but the truck was parked next to my car and his lights were still turned on … so I called back 911 to make sure they knew the guy was now parked in our lot. We couldn’t tell here whether or not someone was still in the truck. Pretty close then a police car pulled up in back of the truck and we saw him look inside then go back to his car … and within 5 minutes there were 5-6 police and about as many cars. We were trying not to be staring out the windows like a nosey neighbor, but we did some peeking. I think the guy that the police we’re talking too was the guy who lives underneath us. The police we’re in their defensive position and talking with the guy seriously, but we couldn’t hear what they were saying. They disappeared from out of view and after a little bit the police tow truck took the car that was smashed up away. We’re not sure who that belonged to, but it concluded the police business out on the street. Everyone then left. It didn’t seem the Bronco was hurt too bad except that alarm problem and its still out there with its lights stuck on.

That’s going to be a problem with SOMEbuddies battery!

So that was that! It’s taken us a while to calm down. Hehehe maybe because they had flashed their light inside my car too (it was dark at the time) and we were worried, because we had left too many cellophane sweet roll wrappers on the back floor. BUT, that was really the thing. It had been snowing an inch or so, which is probably what happened in the first place … it was slippery and he lost control, but we’re pretty sure the truck tracks gave conclusive information in that it had been the same vehicle. I had thought by the second time we called that probably another neighbor had also called because the police identified the car as being at our street 4606, and our apartment is 4605 (car on the other side) and we hadn’t identified it. We’re pretty sure that our 911 system takes our phone and address, because that information wasn’t asked. She was in a rush and had after the second call dispatched while we were still talking. They didn’t mess around too much with getting out there in real time. It just seemed like a while, cus our adrenaline was pumped. The car that got hit … got hit pretty bad. His whole front end was scrunched up into the driver’s area. Felt bad for that car, but was glad it had just been parked and no one was in it at the time. What a surprise when HE wakes up this morning. I didn’t see a civilian by the car at all so I’m not sure if they got ahold of the owner immediately. But, we did hear the rustling downstairs and out the door, and we saw the police leaving our building, so we’re pretty sure it was the guy on the second floor. He’s the one that pulls into that spot … You could tell by the movements of him with the cops that he was trying to explain his way out. I can’t see though the side of the building where the driveway passes the building, so I wasn’t sure if he had to go with the police. I’m not sure if it was a hit and run if he left, and then later changed his mind and came back. It might of depended on whether he called the police, or if more likely it had been the guy across the street who looks after the block so well. Sure hate to be him though this morning. It was probably the smarter move coming back to the building though … whether he had thought he could hide out back – sneak in, or not. We don’t owe our particular allegiance to him. More to the neighborhood.

Hmm, not too much more … cept Chief is back now and he is gloating … saying something about isn’t it good idea that we get up in the morning and feed the kitties, so that we can bad guy bust first thing in the day! I know, I know … he’s really the hero of the hour, but they gloat sooo badly, when they’re in the spot light. HMPF! Now he’s saying he wants a police badge and handcuffs. Oh what a silly kitty we have this morning!

Other than that … can’t make any outstanding claims of the day. We took our medicine around 7 am, because we kept hearing in the back of our mind the sound of the crash. Well, that and because it was already time. That’s an important thing.
Woo HOOO Guess what … guess what … ?? It’s 8:35 am and the Brookfield police just called me back. Yup, yup on the phone … I’m an official witness and the police thanked me for what we did!!! WOOOHOOOO!!! They asked me to report what we had seen. We went through it all being very careful not to embellish. Made sure they knew how close we slept toward that window and that the window had been open. Our sweetie could vouch for that because he’d wanted to close it the night before, but I won out cuz I like the fresh air. AND, we reported that we’d been almost up because our kitty had wanted to be fed. MAN-OH-MAN!!! Chief might get the Purple Heart for this! Yup, yup He’s the MAN!!!

The police officer let us explain and asked a couple of questions. We told him exactly that we’d heard the loud noise, and then the car alarm, and then immediately we got up and saw the white vehicle pulling away. I did report that at that moment, I had not had my glasses on, but that the dispatcher had asked me if it were a white bronco truck and we couldn’t confirm that, but that while we were talking to the dispatcher a white truck assumedly a bronco with the car alarm still going off pulled round the south side and pulled into our driveway. He asked us if we had seen who had gotten out, but we told him we didn’t see that … and in fact when talking to the dispatcher and she had asked if he were still in the vehicle, we could say we didn’t know, BUT his lights were still on. I should have thought to going out back immediately, but I don’t remember what happened with those couple of minutes, except maybe we were watching out the front for the police … I think we thought they should look out back, but we didn’t consciously think about it … Just remembering that it occurred a few moments later that we should look. It sounds like they were hoping that I could report who had driven the vehicle, so it sounds like the guy might be telling him that he didn’t know who drove the vehicle. Uh huh, uh huh. But, alas it was dark, there was a street light out front that gave some light and there is light in the back … just didn’t look. I wouldn’t have been able to see the driver on the street from the 3rd floor angle and because he was driving on the west side and I’m on the East side. After the police were talking to someone and I had my glasses, with the light I couldn’t recognize if they were talking to someone White, Black, or Hispanic. The new neighbor is Black and the one below me Hispanic. He pulled in the spot where the 2nd floor Hispanic guy parks, but that’s another problem, I wasn’t asked about, but I wouldn’t recognize my neighbors in a mug shot on a clear day and I’m pretty unaware of who drives what in the back. The cars change and we’re not able with our recall to remember this information. We did call our sweetie a few moments ago and left a message for him to call us back. We want to ask him if the guy below us drives the White Bronco truck or whether the guy had just parked there. Hmm, I wonder if we should call the building people. I guess there is no reason though. Hold on sweetie is in IM 

As soon as the phone rang a few moments ago, I remembered one thing very specifically. We had just gone through the OIG training in investigative reporting. I was very sure what I did know and what I didn’t know. And, just like the above I reported and then wrote down what I saw here, so that if they ever need a witness to say the vehicle drove away and then came back that I had seen that much. No embellishments. Hmm, now we’re waiting for our sweetie pie to finish reading this post … He’ll be able to tell me if we should call the building people.

It would depend on whether that truck is supposed to be there or not. I don’t know if they would call the apartment people, but I like the apartment manager and he might want to know what happened.

Bunny Face [8:58 A.M.]: good morning, I heard what happened
Aynetal3 [8:58 A.M.]: it's been pretty exciting?
Aynetal3 [8:59 A.M.]: so the big question in my mind ... does the Hispanic guy drive a white bronco ford?
Bunny Face [8:59 A.M.]: I would think no one in your apt building does cuz you have space in the back of the building
Aynetal3 [9:00 A.M.]: right next to me?
Aynetal3 [9:00 A.M.]: how do you know?
Bunny Face [9:00 A.M.]: It always seems to be there. did he do the hitting, the ford
Aynetal3 [9:01 A.M.]: yes
Bunny Face [9:01 A.M.]: oops not the bronco, the empty space
Aynetal3 [9:01 A.M.]: so does the white truck belong to someone that lives here?
Bunny Face [9:01 A.M.]: I only see it occasionally and not last nite
Bunny Face [9:01 A.M.]: did it do the hitting
Bunny Face [9:02 A.M.]: and is it there now
Aynetal3 [9:02 A.M.]: yes ... here wait let me send you what we wrote.
Aynetal3 [9:02 A.M.]: yes ... still with the lights stuck on
Aynetal3 [9:02 A.M.]: they towed away the car that was hit ... pretty much totaled
Bunny Face [9:02 A.M.]: you mean his lights are on
Aynetal3 [9:03 A.M.]: yes it has lights on read mail just sent
Bunny Face [9:12 A.M.]: Ok, here is what you do, you did good in reporting and the evidence is there. But as you admit, you did not see your neighbor.
Aynetal3 [9:12 A.M.]: no we didn't
Bunny Face [9:12 A.M.]: In fact cuz he had the accident he might have gone in and called the police
Bunny Face [9:12 A.M.]: so, do nothing now,
Aynetal3 [9:12 A.M.]: we don't know that either ... that would help his case out
Bunny Face [9:13 A.M.]: if it was him the police know and they know you said the car pulled in the drive.
Aynetal3 [9:13 A.M.]: thing is can I call mike at the apartment and tell him? Just to see if white truck belongs?
Aynetal3 [9:13 A.M.]: I was with the dispatcher at the time it pulled back in ...I held the phone and said, do you hear the alarm?
Bunny Face [9:14 A.M.]: no, not your call, the police will do that, now become quiet. If it was a neighbor you hope the police will wrap it up without you.
Aynetal3 [9:14 A.M.]: I do? How come?
Bunny Face [9:14 A.M.]: cuz he is neighbor you don't know and you do not need to make an enemy
Aynetal3 [9:15 A.M.]: maybe I’ve made him an enemy already and for that reason SHOULD call
Bunny Face [9:16 A.M.]: no, the police would not have said anything to him so he doesn't even know you called. Though calling was not wrong and reporting what you saw was not wrong. Pursuing more is being pushy. He has been a quiet neighbor to you and really never caused a problem.
Aynetal3 [9:17 A.M.]: yah but I feel an allegiance to mike... He would want to know and possibly read the police report
Bunny Face [9:17 A.M.]: Mike really doesn’t care unless he doesn't pay the rent.
Aynetal3 [9:17 A.M.]: if he finds out later there was something going on here ... I wouldn't want him to think I didn't call?
Bunny Face [9:18 A.M.]: or if this guy bothers someone else in the apt.
Aynetal3 [9:18 A.M.]: Why can't we let Mike decide if it’s important?
Bunny Face [9:18 A.M.]: Cuz the lady on the first floor already did that and you know what we call her
Aynetal3 [9:18 A.M.]: If he got taken to jail it’s going to be a long time before he figured out that the guy got arrested?
Aynetal3 [9:19 A.M.]: ohhhhhhh
Bunny Face [9:19 A.M.]: he is not going to jail for a car accident
Aynetal3 [9:19 A.M.]: I don't even know if it’s a hit and run, cuz he came back
Bunny Face [9:19 A.M.]: you did the responsible thing, now we let it go.
Aynetal3 [9:19 A.M.]: *sigh*
Bunny Face [9:20 A.M.]: there is one thing though
Aynetal3 [9:20 A.M.]: yes?
Bunny Face [9:20 A.M.]: If the guy across the street did not see the accident he would be jealous he he
Aynetal3 [9:20 A.M.]: LOL ... I don't know I wondered how many of us neighbors sleep 3 feet from an open door
Bunny Face [9:20 A.M.]: sits on those stairs all year and then misses the good stuff
Aynetal3 [9:21 A.M.]: WITH a kitty cat who was rustling us to attention
Bunny Face [9:21 A.M.]: yep,
Aynetal3 [9:21 A.M.]: Oh man ... He'll be put out!
Bunny Face [9:21 A.M.]: LOL
Aynetal3 [9:21 A.M.]: Ok, ok ... we'll put that one to bed
Bunny Face [9:21 A.M.]: you did wake me, I stayed up till 1:30 last night
Aynetal3 [9:21 A.M.]: How come?
Bunny Face [9:21 A.M.]: good,
Bunny Face [9:22 A.M.]: watched a show when I got home.
Aynetal3 [9:22 A.M.]: you better go back to sleep!
Bunny Face [9:22 A.M.]: so your call woke me
Bunny Face [9:22 A.M.]: no I am up for the day.
Aynetal3 [9:22 A.M.]: I'm really sorry bunny face was just going to leave a message we were excited
Bunny Face [9:22 A.M.]: bet you take a nap though
Aynetal3 [9:22 A.M.]: hehehe nah!
Bunny Face [9:22 A.M.]: that is OK.
Aynetal3 [9:22 A.M.]: BEARS today!!!
Bunny Face [9:23 A.M.]: only got to say, remember your tire, I looked last nite before I went home
Aynetal3 [9:23 A.M.]: last time I tried to fill it and I put too much in it and the car people had to fix it
Bunny Face [9:23 A.M.]: yep about 2, want to get some paperwork done and have to wash a load or two
Bunny Face [9:23 A.M.]: have the car people do it. Stop at Lee’s
Aynetal3 [9:23 A.M.]: Oh yah I forgot ... the tire people said I could have them fill it just drive by
Bunny Face [9:23 A.M.]: even if your late a little.
Aynetal3 [9:24 A.M.]: Maybe we can go today or tomorrow ...
Bunny Face [9:24 A.M.]: Things are moving
Aynetal3 [9:24 A.M.]: k
Bunny Face [9:24 A.M.]: might be closed today, call first
Aynetal3 [9:24 A.M.]: yes dear
Bunny Face [9:25 A.M.]: let me sign off, so I can give you a kiss.
Aynetal3 [9:25 A.M.]: in kiss receiving mode!
Bunny Face [9:25 A.M.]: :-* for being brave
Aynetal3 [9:25 A.M.]: smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooccchhh:-*
Bunny Face [9:25 A.M.]: :-* for being a good Samaritan
Aynetal3 [9:26 A.M.]: thanks chief and me heroes!
Bunny Face [9:26 A.M.]: :-* cuz I like you
Aynetal3 [9:26 A.M.]: oh man!
Bunny Face [9:26 A.M.]: :-*
Bunny Face [9:26 A.M.]: O:-)

Ok, ok … we’re officially done with all that … let the record show that we change our friend’s name for one of our liking to maintain his privacy, or at least with all our posting as much as he is afforded. Thought it good though to have this one down for the record. It’s going to be our memory, since we never trust our ability to recall. I’m going to get this posted and then start a more regular entry.