Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Long Saturday that sped by too quick...



Good morning. Just me. I’m having a little problem seeing this morning … my eyes seem a bit blurred. I think they have some sleep in them. Tsch, tsch, tsch…

AHA! V’s just gotten up too. We better make this a short post. He’s going to want us on top of the Masters’ Work. Know we need to do something serious with that. But, I refuse to budge before the first cup of coffee, especially on a nice Saturday morning! I wanted to thank Deb, Nikki, Jodi, Tammy and Lori this morning … shoot probably missing more. You all leave some pretty fantastic comments. We’re still giggling at Nikki’s take on male woo woos. You obviously understood us clearly Nikki! Hehehehe. Deb, we’ll look for you to be on line to talk a few minutes today. I’m due for a Deb talk!

We haven’t done too much yet this morning, except to catch up on a few Missy pets. She likes to stand or sit two feet away and meow until I streeeeeetch to pet her. Funny cat …

Oh man … this coffee is going a lot faster than words placed here. Not having any solid thoughts yet. Ohh wow … I had opened the curtains already and I thought you might also appreciate this tree I love directly across the street … I call it the gumdrop tree. Sure is pretty this morning … The picture doesn’t do it justice.



Just the most beautiful green. We’ll have to remember to go outside again today to sit on the balcony … Missy or no Missy! Our pretty girl has had her me-fix for the morning. Periodically she will spend a half hour getting our attention by meowing and pacing letting me pet her for seconds at a time from two feet away, then all of a sudden she’s directly in front of us leaned against our chest demanding full attention. This only lasts for about 5 minutes, before she scampers off. She’s in general much more high strung than Chief and I think these sessions really help to calm her down. Sure do like my kitties. Hmm, just noticing she just came out of the bathroom. I wonder if she gets digestive troubles and we’re just helping to coax stuff along. *Sigh* naw … let’s go with the theory, she loves the pieces out of me and takes comfort in the petting!

Hmm, better not tell V. we got the second cup of coffee … he’s already reminded us of our responsibilities. I know, I know … they’re mine I can do it … just a process of building up my courage.

I don’t think there’s much of this week, we want to talk about. We talked about multi-cultural issues with staff training and we talked about the five domains with the Thinking Group. They are achievement, social, personal, community, and living. Everything we do at the center … teach is tied up between these areas. I had found pictures to represent these areas and I put on them an A, S, P, C, or L. I put 9 each on a sheet, printed out 10 sheets, then cut them into smaller sheets like playing cards.

Oh wow! Rain … didn’t expect that! She’s coming down beautifully like every spring rain does! Wonderful, wonderful auditory!

Anyway, we spent the client’s hour drilling them to see if they could remember what all five of the cards represented. They’ll need that ability later as I try to explain the meaning of the Performance Analysis report I have been working on. A big part of CARF is getting the information learned from the clients back out to them and the other stakeholders in a manner that is meaningful. If they could pass the drill, they got to keep the cards. I always make sure this kind of stuff is fun to get. So that was pretty good.

I had a little problem with getting umm tummy troubles the last 15 minutes. I had to leave the room. Fortunately, the other Q. was within proximity and she covered for those 5 minutes I needed to spend in the bathroom. I think she had fun with it … the clients explained what she was to do and I think she liked the card idea too, because she asked for a set, so she could do something with it in her group “Town Hall.” I like this kind of collaboration, so things worked out pretty good.

Because of all the computer problems this week, I didn’t really get too much written on the CARF report I started last week. But, Sr. finally accepted that I give her what I had. I told her I was sorry, but some of the steam had gone out of the project when she criticized the report for being long and complicated and for having told me I should write it as if anyone could perform it if I weren’t there without reading or hearing anything about it, because of course it was long and complicated … I wrote it. I had taken that to be an insult over use of my abilities. Anyway, she let me explain the nature of the three documents I gave her (Performance Analysis, survey preparation, and individual case study). It is always very difficult to explain, because she always seems to want things to be over, before they are started. BUT, I think enough information was past so that she’d have the gist of what I was doing. The only thing she bulked on was the financial numbers that I was using, so later I came back and gave her a copy of how I’d used the figures. She’s pretty smart … She’ll figure it out and the worst would be is that she would make corrections as to the categories I had put things. The numbers came directly off the year’s budget, so I’m not worrying about that too much.

I think she was more impressed than not in that she said it looked like I had done tremendous work, but she will worry over the amount of time everything is going to take. This is the kind of thing though that if it works, would be something real impressive to share with her Sisters. The Sisters at St. Mary’s don’t do anything nearly as complicated. I think the best part is that it got me excited about the project again.

AND, as all flukey things go … the $29 program I had gotten to fix my computer program turned out to work! I was surprised because I had sent a note saying I wanted a refund on my money. And, the company had agreed. About a day and a half after I had tried their program, it suddenly popped up on my screen as if it had finally finished processing. So after it had found 475 problems, I pushed the button that said, resolve, and wallah … everything was back in order and I can now use Microsoft again. NOW, I just want to get back my money from Microsoft. They did absolutely nothing, charged me three times, and didn’t even have the decency to respond to my email within the allotted 24 hours. That kind of thing really steams me. They of all people should maintain Internet integrity!



So that is that! Richest man in the world … HUMBUG!!! I think I’m going to need writing to the company itself to get a refund, and even if I did get it … I’m pretty sure it’s going to take a long time in getting. But, at this point we’re talking about $105, so you can estimate the general feeling of frustration and anger. Even the $29 solution did its part! Microsoft … I never got past knocking on their door. Ok, enough, enough … that will have to wait until Monday.

Classic David and Goliath story … HMPF

Let’s see any more ways in which I could avoid starting the work day here? What am I forgetting??

You know that Sweetie Pie is off fishin … nothing new going on there. EXCEPT we are now closer to his return than from his leaving YAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! I wonder. Hmm, BRB … I’m going to clear a drawer real quick so he can have a place for his pj’s!!!! YAYYYYY!!!

Oh man oh man … was that nice! They fit in the drawer just right! Hmm, I never thought … We have a whole dresser in the extra room, I didn’t think, but we could have put things in there, because it’s usually where he takes off his things. Hmm, we’ll have to think that over. To clear a drawer from our bedroom, we opened a drawer we barely ever use. It had a bunch of nightgowns … Shoot, that was a handy find. I think we’re going to hang those things up in one of the closets. AND, we’re going to finally throw away a few things. There were sexy little teddies from when we were size 10! Shoot, we figure if we get back to that size, we might like something new! Heheheh. The one draw back of taking things out of this drawer again is that we wouldn’t have his things so intimately in our bedroom. Hmm, but then again, what would be more convenient to him?? He might feel better that his things were in his “Own space.” Yup, yup think we’re going to need giving him space in the other room. I would like to see that robe hanging up too! Hold on … we’re going to fix that! But, the tiny teddies still go! I don’t want the thoughts around that we were only sexy back then when!

THERE! DONE! Hehehe … I had a nice surprise for me, maybe not so nice for him! He must have changed shoes from his good to his athletic shoes, because in the second bedroom, we found a set of HIS shoes! Ok, girls … let’s make a deal … we’re NOT going to be so desparate we decide to wear his shoes around the house! *giggle* Two more days! I divided everything out to three drawers … the’re not particularly big drawers.



Everything feels just fine! We’re going to get past the point where he says why do I put them on, you just want to take everything off. EXACTLY! This makes sense from a woman who never owned a Ken doll! He admitted the things were very comfortable, although he has to get over the point of feeling like an “old man.” We think the lines are very sexy! Sorta like a doctor in scrubs! AND, we’re pretty sure they would make us happy coming home to find him lounging about! YOOO HOOOOOO!

Ok YOU! That’s enough of that! Though, we’ll attest too absence really does make the heart grow fonder!

Maybe we should get the next load of dishes done too and clear the couch … maybe even vacuum. That might help his feelings of comfort. Again … we’re still working on angles of approach/avoidance. Better always that one’s partner wants to be approaching! Yes, folks although I don’t usually say much about being a mistress, because I don’t know which of you I may be offending, BUT one thing this last 13 years has taught us was that it is always a good idea to be looking forward to his return and make sure he’s happy to as well! We support this idea with our whole heart. It’s all about choices … might as well make them nice choices!

Ahh V. stopped back for a moment … he’s done another series on his protest story. It’s coming along wonderfully! Just proud as peaches to consider him and you all people I enjoy being a part of.

*Sigh* but it’s already 8 am. That’s the bad part. Shoot, can’t we tell one more story?? I’m not sure what it would be, but feel sooo much like not working for a bit longer. Hmm, maybe one more story.

On Thursday this week while the Q Assistant was in, she introduced a topic of discussion about “What she is going to do when she gets big.” Hehehe. She’s within a month of gaining her BA in psychology. For quite sometime she’s been considering Masters Work, after taking off a year of studies to learn the field better. There is still no word as to whether or not she’ll take a job offer with the center, or somewhere else. We’re still hoping she stays. BUT, it seems like she has talked to one of the professors at school she trusts and that person is leaning her toward getting a MSW (Masters of Social Work). I know enough to know that program is very sound. There is never a problem with getting a job and that seems to be one of her concerns. She says especially knowing English/Spanish so well; she could earn herself a pretty good career. I don’t think MSW’s get a whole lot of money, but if you work for the state you could earn more. Dogged work though! I think this person could stand up to it though.

It seems like the Assistant really wants to work with people and the other person said, she’ll get that more in social work. I think it’s a hard call, in that all psychology works with people … I think more with individuals than groups, where social workers work a lot with family systems. I explained that I had, of course, at one point had to consider the same in my education. Everyone that is one of either does, because in many ways you are studying people in both fields. My take on it was that I was much more interested in the human mind then in resolving TANF issues. I think social workers have a tremendous effort to add to the mix. I had told her that I recommended to Sister that it would be more beneficial to the center to higher a social worker for a Q position more than someone from another degree. I envision in the future much more work being done with families and I’d really like to see someone at the center specializing in it. The current trend is that the funded programs are going toward family systems, because they are encouraging the individuals with MR and MI to live with their families.

As mentioned pretty well throughout the course of our writing, I am more interested in serving the individual needs of personal growth, but that in no way means I discriminate against somebody being out there to take care of literal needs, such as housing, groceries, medical, etc. I perceive a psychologist more interested in how the person is doing with or without these assets available to them. Kind of like on Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. If the person doesn’t have a shelter or food, he is not going to think of much else. But, these basic needs met, people start looking around at life and life’s meaning to them. This is where I’d like to intercede. I like the idea of growth and helping people to get along with each other.

I’m thinking that the assistant has already been turned to accept social work. Which is cool enough. I’m proud of her for continuing regardless and we talked a little bit about how exciting it was to have this much choice in her life. YAYYYYYY STUDENTS!!!

In processing these thoughts … I looked ahead to the school schedule I’d set up for myself … This is what we’re figuring is going to go into our education for this last year and the next nine.

Foundations of psychology master's learners, masters learner success lab, research and writing for graduate learners, lifespan development, psychology of learning, cognitive/affective psychology, social psychology, multicultural perspectives in human behavior, fundraising strategies for non-profit organizations, grant proposal development and administration, tests and measurements, inferential statistics, qualitative analysis, research methods, teaching psychology, principles of instructional design, and master's integrative project.

Foundations of psychology - doctoral learners, doctoral learner success lab, adult psychology, ethics and standards of professional practice, group psychology, advanced inferential statistics, advanced research methods, mentoring psychological research, family systems theories, family therapy, current issues and methods in family research, psychology of leadership, community psychology, principles of organizational psychology, managing psychological services, comprehensive examination - doctoral, dissertation research I, II, III, and IV and PhD residential colloquia: developing the scholar-practitioner, critical analysis skills, research skills, professional communication skills, development of learning communities, and psychology-specific content and offerings.

Shoot, always get excited by this. This version is like a whole entire lot of work for just so I can say; I know what I am doing! Most the research work should be completed studying aspects of developmental disabilities. I suppose the practical thing then would be to start taking care of that which needs to be done today. There are 5 parts of this unit (different assignments due). Sure like to complete the majority of them if not all. Ok, lets get this warmed up more practically. Cuz, I sure have a lot of work in front of me. You all want to come with me to school for a few moments? I’ll let you know what’s up.

First thing is to have the magic key! AHA! Once used the doors to academia are now opened! I am going to follow the path that leads me to my course room, which is officially PSY7421 Section 3. Eh, it works for me! I notice no new mail, so we figure we better hi-tail it over to the discussions. I have no new posts to my threads, but the topics messages states that 76 responses have been made since I was last here YEEKS! First thing was to check out the people still answering last weeks questions as to if people are going to want to do option C for the Final. We’re doing Option A.

AHA!!!! WALLAH!!! We just figured it out … umm now the time is 10:30 am. How does this sound … "The effect of self-regulation and problem solving on learning performance."

Oh man-oh-man … feel good about this one. This was one of the five tasks, to choose a topic for the final research project. I did a research search on four psychology data bases using the key search words “self-regulation” and “problem-solving.” It seemed that a good many of the references looked at either managerial/job performance, or on education/learning. Definitely we would choose the latter. Wow … feeling real good!!! I turned in for Professor Approval. Be looking forward to that response. I love it in that it’s so close to something I really want to know about. We’d come up with the value of self-regulation previously back in lifespan psychology course. And, problem-solving seems to be a big deal now in cognitive psychology. And, of course, we have our long-term goal of wanting to write programs for adults with developmental disabilities toward self-systems. “Self-regulation” is a huge part of self-systems; self-control will be another … that’s pretty connected to all what’s being written as well as self-efficacy. See all these “Self” things are wonderful! Kind of all about we improve ourselves so that we can keep up with the goals we set. I’m all for that. We’re still set in our thinking that we are going to lose in the next five years 35 pounds. We were successful the first year, but are sliding on the second. Need to get back to work on that! Maybe the more I understand about self-regulation, the better, we will be overall.

Whoops, disconnected here … more in the morning … This was written all on Saturday.

Stayed with school most of the day 