Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Friday, April 21, 2006

Gramma chatting :)



Evening … This is Chief and I wondering about our funny bunny. Chief says TGIF! Says he’s been napping and looking to beat the band! I don’t know … then he said something under his breath about minimum wages and unions and such. I try not to pay them too much attention; they can carry such “ATTITUDES!”

Feeling better tonight than the last couple of days. I got a hold of our Grandma tonight. She says last night she was out looking at someone’s Easter flowers. I think she does that kind of thing just to be nice. *giggle* She said one thing led to another and her and some of her “puzzle” friends got together to give a warm welcome to someone’s sister who just retired from being a school teacher. This outtatown sister stays for 3-4 weeks each year and works out with the ladies on their puzzles.

My Grandma seemed in a much better mood this evening. She still tires toward the end of the conversation, but I think sometimes she can go without talking to people, so I think her throat gets scratchy. I like it that she is so involved with others. Today, we talked a little bit about the rainy weather. I’m afraid it is making her arthritis act up. The talk where she thought I could cook up a little asparagus with cream sauce on toast, didn’t go over so well. I find asparagus too stringy. AND, at the mere sound of the word “COOK,” nearly fainted! She seems to be eating better, because one of my cousins brought in extra Easter food. Apparently my Grandmother has lost weight and she says her clothes are hanging on her. I don’t know how to help fix that though. Though, I could order something  Think she’s a little fussy though. She used to be a seamstress and has quality all sorted out.

We talked then about … what else, “COOKIES!!!” I figure if someone is going to talk to me about cooking/baking, it might as well be something that I’m interested in. Hehehe. That led into a conversation where she talked about one of my cousins who has spent a great deal of time helping my Grandmother over the years. She is on her second marriage, she has two boys who are both driving/working, and the elder is going to college next year. YAYYYY!!! My cousin used to bake cakes … See the lead in here! … But, now she cleans houses while the boys are in school and makes it back home for when they return and she volunteers at church. I guess the elder plays drums in a band, and the other is interested in art and fixing cars. Pretty good! I think two of them are into sports, but it may be the oldest and the youngest. Oh, and they all go to church, even when they’re at the father’s every other weekend. He’s umm not a church goer. I can see problems coming up here right away.

I never did the church thing since being married, though I have the option of slipping into chapel at any time I like at work. That works for me. My youngest son knows God too, and I’m planning on telling her at the most convenient time that he reads the Bible when he’s using the washroom. Umm, does that sound good? She’s already using in her conversation the term, “Those who fall away.” YEEKS!!! Then she threw in for good measure, you can always go back, the church will always accept you, though she wasn’t speaking directly to me. She wouldn’t have meant me??? Lordy! She’s one of those SNEAKY Grandma’s you know!

That kinda stuff, church … runs in the family, and I haven’t had to think about it for a long time. My sister whom we shall not talk about further, is a regular church goer/choir member, and my brother whom we shall not talk about further, is a Lutheran minister. Short and sweet, I didn’t like how the whole church thing went, but I was able to salvage my relationship to God. And, that’s that about that!

NO CHURCH!!!

Shoot, we can’t leave off the day frightened! Hmm, anything else? Not much. She spent the most of the time talking about how good my cousin and her family were. We say … good for them!

It seems in these conversations we are having, I am asked at least one time how my time has gone. I figure one thing a session is appropriate. Today, I told her about the woman who stole one of my papers. It took about four sentences and when it was done it was over, no further conversation. I will have to try harder to impress her hehehehe! She though talked in return about one of her sons having found one of the old houses going up for sale. She says it doubled in price over 15 years time. Yoohooo… She seemed to know a lot about what those people had done to the house. Maybe my Uncle is a spy. I think he does something with computers, not sure this is the one who used to be in the coast guard. She says he checks out the old places when he’s in town. Ok, we’re not going there either. The other uncle you will hear about is the older brother. He used to co-own a big printing company and has now retired to Los Vegas, where he has hobbies such as selling gambling stuff on ebay, stamps, coins, and what not. Oh yah … he’s into cameras now too. He’s the one with a summer place on a lake in Wisconsin. Yup, yup he is a wealthy relative. YEEKS! Enough of him. I don’t think he wants to know me anymore than I want to know him.

I’m going to have to harden myself to hearing a lot of these stories. And, I should probably try to remember some of it. I didn’t catch the name of my cousins kids or husband, and I forgot that my elder uncle is on a cruise somewhere. I want my Grandmother to feel comfortable talking about whatever is on her mind. I have a lot of listening to do to catch up. Thing is that I don’t want relationships with any of these people … relatives, except for my Grandmother. I’m not sure if I’m asking too much of the “family” system. We’ll see.

Well, it’s now just past 7:30 pm and Missy says it’s time for all good smoochie faces to be in bed. We wrote a little mushy email to our fishie friend that probably talked about much a little more than fish, but not much. It was short. We figure he is going to be tired when he gets back. He wasn’t sure if he was going to have an Internet connection. Doesn’t seem so. Did I say that his pj’s came in? Hehehehe he tried them all on and I checked out the snuggle places. Feels just fine! He said though I’m going to need clearing him a drawer, so we’ll try to do that before he gets back over the next couple of days. For now, we’re living the luxury of having a few “man” things tossed about in our bedroom. If anything were to get me back on that treadmill, it might be that it’s in proximity of touching sweeties pjs.

YAYYYYYYYYY!!!