Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Monday, March 20, 2006

Thinking ... thinking ...

Chief scarying Missy away!

Good morning … It’s just us. We are reporting in just for a few minutes today … No stop laughing … we’re serious! There … we set the timer … One slim hour! We’re facing a double deadline today … we can’t get too goofy here … We just set ourselves up to be here a while. We’ve eaten breakfast, done our exercises, gone to the bathroom multiple times after just as many cups of coffee, new pack of smokes, and we took our medicine. Good shape so far. We’re still fiddling with the screens, but pretty much think they’ll stay about the way we have them. We’re thinking it’s a little cluttered, because each window bumps up against the next, but we like the view in general. We’ve mentioned it several times, but I really like the colors displayed. We’ll learn to be more accurate in our scanning of the screens as we adjust to where everything is at.

The one that is most questionable at this time is the Paper Tiger program. It is kind of a cataloguing thing that we are in the process of trying to figure out its significance. I know what I’m using it for at work, but I’m having trouble bridging the need here. Unfortunately, that doesn’t satisfy us in the least! Our original thought was to catalogue all the books, and believe me one day we will! But, for now we’re thinking of its best use for school, just we don’t know how to use it, so that it is more benefit than work. Ideally, I would use it to catalogue the papers and comments we are writing. We could set up a location for each course. I’m not sure how much information it would hold per file. Let me see here.

AHA! It is now 8:30, so that means we are past our slim hour, but the majority of the time has been spent at school. I think I saved 50 points by getting a couple of more comments placed. We had some fun doing it in the meantime. There is one particular fellow student that I’ve come to love. We umm, teased him for putting out a two paragraph paper, half of which is paraphrased from the first paragraph of the reading. Well, we didn’t though tease him as much as he deserved! We did fool around with his concepts of women’s beauty. To be fair, he took the position that we should ban public pressure to be thin due to a preconceived idea that this is always more sexual. I introduced him to Darla’s 30 million dollar Sport’s Illustrated diamond swimsuit, and suggested looking at his pocketbook, “who is inadequate now!”

Hehehe still chuckling over that one! Also, within this last period of time, we decided to copy/paste over the semester. We had already taken a copy of both assignments and comments from the courseroom over to Word, so it was a simple process. We put the title and such in item name, used as state above “Multicultural” for the file location, and under keywords, we pasted the entire entry. It is marvelous … now when I enter the keyword search, like for my final paper, I just need to type in African and I get ten different instances of using the word (African American) during the semester. It takes just an instant to realize that I wrote five papers that included conversation on African Americans and five comments throughout the semester. Hehehe … It just as easily tells me I’ve written 8 posts to my favorite student and fitness comes up exactly twice … once in a paper, and now this last time to Kirk. Shoot what other interesting items? AHA! It turns out we used the term “self-control” exactly three times … twice in papers and once in a comment. Skimming over that now …

I would think this person's expression of anger to be demonstrative of a certain amount of self-control loss by both, which seemed provoked by the therapist's inadequate multi-cultural views.

The therapist thought incorrectly that the family perceived his openness and intimacy as being wise, where the family most likely thought that a wiser professional to be in more self-control.

I found interesting within mention of limits, boundaries, punctuality, and formality that each appeared to be resolved utilizing "on-time" ethics of self-control and I could see where this might be generalized to life in general.

This is then thought of as …

Expression of anger as loss of self-control
Family perception of loss of self-control due to openness and intimacy
Being in self-control through ethics of being formally “on-time.”

So, collectively we could think …

Anger could be considered an open and intimate form of self-control loss and that to regain self control one must exhibit the formality of being “on-time” in self-representation, particularly in setting boundaries. Basically, to meet one’s social obligation of self-control in some cultures, one must confine strong emotions. It would then also stand to reason that in some cultures, one must free strong emotions. In the examples from above boundaries were set by Hispanic Americans and Asian Americans by confining emotions where the African American culture boundaries were set by freeing emotions. White Americans still set the norms, which lie between the others’ emotional truths.

HA! It works for me!

Oh man … I just love this stuff! I’ve gone through a semester and am now able to put together a couple of statements of what I’ve learned about self-control in a multicultural arena. Damn BUT I’m not getting a paper written … best move forward.