Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Moooooooove it or Loooose it!


Good morning. Just me … Waking up late for the morning. It’s now 5:30 and I figure I only have about a half an hour to write. We’ve taken care of a few things including eating and such. We’re weighing in at an even 268.0. This is not bad considering everything I ate for dinner last night … Yeeks. The basic of it was that I had tomato sandwiches and soup, but doubled up on both of them. That was a problem. It was like by the time I sat down to eat, I was too tired to pull the food away from me.  Ok, we can do better. We continued the good stuff on the treadmill though.

The most amazing thing though was that I had the most perfectly nice thoughts about stuff on the way to work, through work, and somewhat even on the way home. I stayed the extra hour to get things in good shape. The amazing part is that not only am I moving around more at work by lots of trips up front and back, I did good standing for the copying I was doing AND when I was back in the office, I was aware that while doing some of the work processing papers on my desk, we were standing up. I remember that more than anything of my work six years ago when I weighed 140. I just love the feeling of movement. I even started parking my car different thinking I don’t have to hover by the door. The nice thing about that is that it gives the paratransit vehicles more space when they drop off the clients. Before it was like “work around me, I’m unable to walk.” This is better.

There was a lot of paperwork to be processing yesterday. After you are gone for a couple days the mail piles up. Some of what we get is from outside mail, but there are other things that Sr. or the DSPs put in the box and other things that are always going back and forth between us and our 20 families. The center of gravity yesterday seemed to be around my meetings schedules. It’s pretty funny. Me a person who doesn’t like meetings now feels more free to go, because I’m not worrying so much about where the next chair is going to be.

The next meeting is on Tuesday. We’re going to take a group of six clients to a city-wide advocate meeting, so they get a chance to speak up about issues they are facing. I don’t think I will be able to remember all the meetings, but I think there is next the ARC convention first of April, and there is another meeting 30 minutes north of here on behavior training, then there’s the ARC expo, and two meetings put out by DHS for training QMRPs and supervisors … those are the only two meetings I’m not sure of yet. They are at no cost, but still need Sr.’s permission. We dropped the information on her desk before leaving last night. I intend to be a very educated QMRP. Then there is the CARF, Hmm, we’re missing one. Yeeks … better look again today. I wrote all this out so I wouldn’t forget or get confused.

I got caught up by the end of the day processing things through the work journal. Just love it when I can stamp completed on things and place a place circle on the appropriate lines. I think even more though than that is the feeling of how much work really gets done as we turn from page to page. It’s pretty amazing. The best part is that I’m not forgetting barely anything anymore. I might be slow in getting to all the tasks, but at least I know where they all stand from moment to moment. I can’t imagine what it was like before we started this in November. We’ve filled up about 112 pages of journals so far with tasks in process or completed. I didn’t realize we had done that much work before. In truth, I don’t know what was happening before in as much as we would recall major tasks, but we were in constant recognition that every time we turned around, there would be Sr. Tess yelling at us for forgetting one thing or another. Did you do this, did you do that? It was pretty bad and I was feeling very incompetent. Now I am back to processing stuff back at the office and bringing her small piles of this and that. Like if I talked to a parent, I will write it on a 3x5 card and give it to her, or like with yesterday I set up the meetings for the clients in Group 1 to go to the advocate meeting, and the clients from the Leadership group to go to the expo. It makes me feel like a million dollars to make everyone so happy. One of the mails was information about a new state site on the web, so we went there and found information along with stopping by at the ARC site. We’d found they’d just wrote a mad letter to the Governor because he is doing nothing to fund the problems with the disabled. So we copied it out and sent it to about 8 of the families who might appreciate this kind of information.

I love to pieces that this is the kind of work I do. It seems that almost everything I touch I am interested in. And, I feel on top of things even with so much work left yet undone. During the Administration meeting last week Sr. had asked about the Qnotes and the usage of the assistant’s time. I was able to say, she’s exactly 22 notes from completing through December, and absolutely everything will be caught up by the beginning of May. Man, I thought I would never see the day when that happened. She will be in again today, of course. Though no Dr. M. appointment. I’m not sure, because something happened yesterday with our friend’s son, but originally he was going to come over odd Thursdays and we were going to learn to process bills. We still have DSP meetings ahead of us today as well. First there is the staff meeting. Then we’ve set up 3 – half hour appointments with three of them to review their clients’ goals. I wanted the assistant around for this part.

I still have to work on the new policy for the DSPs so that they don’t call the Q’s too much. I should have handed it in yesterday, but I just didn’t get that far so that it was completed. A good start though. Yeeks. Looking at the time. I know I have to be getting along if we’re going to get the walking in. No V this morning. Well, actually we bumped into him when we’d both woken up about 1:30 am. Yup, yup I think this is the crux of our relationship. We keep the same kind of hours. Hehehehe

Hoping your all day is going great!