Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Saturday, March 11, 2006

I umm am not to sure we were write on target here today ... Whoops 4 pm our friend is due!


Good morning. Just me. Waking up late … it’s already 5:30. V is busy doing his writing stuff so we thought we better not disturb him. We reached for our cup of coffee and here we are. This morning we’ve got to get serious about the school stuff, so we’re going to try not writing such a long entry. Not a whole lot to talk about anyway. Hehehe, we always say that though. We weighed in this morning at 266.8 which is a new low! That means 45.6. We’ll have to work hard to keep those kinds of numbers over a weekend; a long one too. We’ve got Monday off and most of Tuesday. Yup, yup time for some real hard stuff to get done.

Not sure what to say next. Not sure what kind of mood we are in. Yesterday we had a sad time because of Dr. M. thoughts. We don’t want to go back there … cuz, it hurt. We wrote an email to him and then decided to post it over at the Write Words Blog. That was kind of neat in that I felt it was writing that was us. I thought it was what we do better more than stories we make up. I’ll have to think more later about that. I always wanted to be a writer, but I have to admit that I’d prefer the real stuff over fiction. I’m pretty amazed by what comes into our mind when we’re just processing stuff. Not the stuff like right now when we’re not in any certain kind of mood, but the stuff more when there are a lot of emotions involved. Sort of like the kind of stuff that happens while we’re at Dr. M.’s Hmm, not doing a very good job of explaining myself. Maybe we need more coffee.

There’s something we’re kind of thinking of in the back of our mind, but we’re pretty sure we’re going to get scolded for it. So, I’m not so sure of whether I should talk about it. It has to do with a kinda big decision that we made, but we didn’t talk to anybody about it first. We are in that stage we want to make sure it goes through so that nobody can make us take it back. It has to do with a purchase we made. $900. Oh dear, I can see this is not going to keep very well as a big secret. I know, I know … it’s that burning a hole through my pocket problem that we have. We held out and held out … thinking we were doing great. Then whoosh … it was gone. Not all of it, but half of the money we’d gotten for school. It was something though we wanted for a long time. Since we seen it over at Tanner’s the first time two or three years ago. Uh huh … one of those kind of purchases. Damn we’re being eaten up in guilt. Why can’t we just say it? Maybe because it is kind of a luxury thing. But, it’s something pretty neat if you were the kind of person we are. It’s something I will use EVERY day. AND, as per requirement … it is something toward school. But, it wasn’t necessary … but, we were thinking it was pretty necessary. Damn, damn … I know I’m going to spill the beans here … why’s this one so tough. No big deal. We’re theoretically like a 46 year old woman … we live independently. Pay for our own way in life. Right? We can make decisions all by ourselves, right?

Well ok … ok here it is … we got this.



It’s ummm a 24 incher. I know I already have a monitor. But, I only have one … All three of the boys have big multiple monitors. My father would have said, we don’t need to keep up with the Jones’. But, you see this isn’t really about keeping up … well, sorta maybe the boys got standards, so I guess there is that. BUT, I know that they are over only once, or twice a year, so it’s not like we’re doing it to impress them. They are so used to this sort of thing it is just like … well, about time. The boys got it from working down at the Board where they have up to eight-ten monitors in front of them. They carried it over to their game world. All I could think of when I saw those wonderful screens and how they either panned from one to another, or sometimes in holding different screens of information was that how tremendous it would be to have all my resources spread out in from of me while I was writing. I am forever toggling one thing with another because I work with web resources, outlines, copy, IM’s etc. I am just thinking it would be the most magnificent thing to have everything at just a glance distance.

I haven’t gotten over the problem of how I’m going to re-arrange my desk space. I know the extra screen … the one that I’m using now will most likely be off to my left. Hmm. Or will it be … haven’t really thought through this yet. I know for sure something will be to my left. I’m thinking that once I’m going to see how wonderful 24 inches is I’m not going to want to give it up as my central processing space in front of me to the lesser of the two. It’s not that I’ve got a slouchy screen … It’s a flat screen 18”. I learned a while back that as much I love the movability concept of a notebook … can’t beat a good screen. I’m one of those people that love to have a lot of stuff going at the same time. Looking down by coincident now … I’ve got four Word programs going, four one note programs, the performance diet, my snagit, the Windows media player and AOL. Well maybe the one note is excessive, better close down a few there. Ok, cleared that problem up. The One note is how I take notes, because it pops up small is easily manipulated and can stay on top of the screen when I’m jumping around. Most often I use it when writing serious, but also in commenting in others journals before I pop it into the little windows because it can do the spell check. My word programs are this one I’m typing in now, the next assignment I am supposed to read for school, the big paper I started to write a day or two ago, and the outline for that paper. See … when I start back to the writing, I’d like to keep some of these things up at the same time so I’m not goin back and forth changing screens or shrinking them all to fit on page. I am the obsessive kind of person where I can see having many windows open, but I don’t like it when they are sitting one on top of each other … that to me feels cluttered. Like now I see in front of me. The AOL screen … It’s a background of a clear blue sky with a little shadow of green mountains down at the bottom inch or so. I’ve got my buddy list open, this screen and just one more screen. If V is on line I keep his IM up … it’s like always having him near by. Eh, we’re like that. If V goes off line, we shut the window. Don’t like to have windows open that aren’t active. When we’re researching though, we can open quite a few before remembering to shut them.

I’m thinking you all know the kind of stuff we’re talking about. Everyone only has X amount of space to work with and we all develop our styles. It’s the neat kind of stuff as like when something goes around and people start showing pictures of how their computer work space is arranged. That is the next thing that is going to happen … we’re going to go back to getting working web cams that can take snapshots of our working area. AND, I would like to do whatever it takes to get my camera to working. I think I need knowedge, a battery system and a bigger memory card. Shoot, I don’t even know how to get the pictures from camera to computer. Don’t even know where the programs are that came with it … Shoot. That really is a long term project. Maybe thought coming up over the time, I will have off from school in a couple of weeks. I think I’m going to need to concentrate on our desk situation too with the shelves. It seems to have gathered dust. Oh man oh man … forgot about that system too. Just opened my Lotus Organizer program. I tried something I’d never done before. I hit the smaller windower thing. Do you know that when it reframes the screen it still shows the organizer, but things are shrunk in perspective so you see a smaller version not just part of screen. Yep, yep that’s one thing that is going to stay up on the screen when the new one comes in. I need to be looking at the day planner and seeing how the day unfolds. Let’s try this now.

The time is now 7:30 am. I am still writing in MPD … hmm, for how long. Let’s say by 9 am I have to stop … ok, scheduling now. Wow! Beauty! Better write in the walking. Hmm. Write it in? Umm, there’s no excuse here the morning is getting on past us. Better do that now. K brb

AHA! Much better. Feels good! Next walking goal is at noon to 1 pm. Then 5-6 pm. We’re finding if we wait much longer, we’re too tired to push our way through it. So far so good.

Hmm, we’re still working through in our mind about keeping the bigger screen to the left. The idea is partly to get rid of the immediate clutter. I would like the space in front of me to be for the per say notebook (Word doc.) currently writing in. The other will be more for a electronic bulletin board. The two outstanding desk problems is that at the present time I have stuff to the left and right of my monitor. Might have to wait until it comes in and we’re experimenting, but for now … The first thing on my desk (all these things are about equal distance back) is my stack of resource books It includes my dictionary, my two psychology dictionaries, my two anatomy coloring books, my APA guidelines and the current school text. Next to that is the CPU and in front of them is my pencil electric pencil sharpener and two cups … one for color pencils and the other for highlighters. Then, there is the monitor. The woofer is sitting back then with the desk calculator in front of that. And then last is my new three tier mini horizontal shelves where we keep our cards, journals and “dot” supply. In front of that is paper clips, date stamper, ashtray and mouse pad. Coffee cup floats to where ever it is most convenient out of the way. See this is the problem … everything seems necessary so far.

I think what might happen is that I’m going to have to use the shelf space to the left of me … On top of the standing antique files. Hmm, that sure is an unappreciative household item. I try to avoid papers at home. Bills and such are over in the kitchen area. I suppose then that both the resource books and the new tiered shelves is going to have to go over there. I will have to stand up to reach them, but they would be conveniently not more than three-four feet away. The main computer screen will have to float right. I would absolutely need to keep my calculator and mugs with writing things on the desk. I suppose there would be enough room for that. If anything the CPU could be pushed back too like the woofer. I am not often putting things into it or needing to turn it on and off. Maybe even I could put it right next to the woofer on the right and both would be recessed in back of the calculator/ashtray/mouse. It’s the top parts of these things that need room to manipulate. Hmm, think it is working out now in my mind. There should be room then on the right for the pencils and markers. Hehehe they are just the nicest little colored reminder of pure enjoyment!

Ok, good good … crises over. Next thing is to just wait for the communication that says the monitor is being shipped. I’m going to have to count on myself that I can figure out the system. Sure be nice to get some advice from Jacob. I think his father might have cancelled aol though or the boys have decided to hide me from the buddy list, because its been now 2-3 weeks since I’ve seen either of them on line. Oh man oh man … silly me … just figured out that the family buddy thing was closed. AHA! There they are. Now I feel better. Pshwoo. Must have been turned off by mistake. Oh dear … am I getting old or what! Hehehe I FOUND MY FAMILY!!!!

Ok … It’s not like I am going to blame you or anything, but you should never let me wonder around the computer by myself with cash left in my pockets. Now we don’t have to worry about having any extra money …



That’s all I’m going to say. Well … would it help to at least say, it was also on sale. Umm, I think I’m going to go walk for a little bit ...