Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Yawwwwwn ... long day just like we like um.



Good afternoon! I didn’t get a chance to write this morning, but we’ve earned some free time. I think I’d like to take the next four hours off to write and read blogs. Pretty sure if V. were around I’d have his blessing. I just finished writing another paper and commenting on a few of my peers papers. YaHOOO!!! FREE TIME! This new plan of V’s where I have to start with the paper first is working real well. I feel good about getting the work done and when I am working on the fun stuff I feel it’s a deserved treat!

Not sure where our thoughts are going to take us this morning, but seeing as it is still sorta Saturday morning, we’re sure as hell going to give it a whirl.

Let’s see … first … hmm, school is going pretty good for the moment. We’ve got one more paper to finish this week that we would like to start at about 3 pm. I figure if I can be well into it, I might finish before the end of the night, though I might have to extend bedtime until about 9 pm. Hmm, maybe I should plan on doing the paper tonight and the comments tomorrow. That might work better. I’d much prefer doing work first thing in the morning rather than dragging out the night.

A few of you have commented on me being able to get things done. Let’s reiterate the point friend is helping me around the house and besides communicating in a few IM’s my weekends are pretty empty. No one to rush to soccer practice, nor to their dentist, or out grocery shopping and my meals consist of something I can put in the microwave from the freezer for 10 minutes at a time. I could think of almost no better way to live. Well, I do love it when I get to eat something new, but for the sake of diet and time, best we stay our stable course.

I also took to heart the statements concerning missing meals. I agree it’s pretty silly. So, we’re trying to remedy the problem. No reason why we can’t at least have cereal for breakfast and something for lunch. I would love to change my heavy meal of the day to another time, but I haven’t worked out the basics yet. Pretty convenient to engorge in a meal when we’re tired at the end of the day and have nothing else to do, but climb into bed. I think food makes us sluggish; maybe something to do with the diabetes. We’re trying out this week new medicine. Maybe that will help.

We’ve been having trouble with the scales of late. This morning we weighed in again at 4 pounds over although we’d gotten back down to 271 just prior. Three rounds battling the same four pounds. This MIGHT have something to do with having gone to a Bohemian Smorgasbord last night, but for the record, I had diet coke, brothy chicken noodle soup, and only one trip up to the dinner bar. The noodles were skinny … granted it was a healthy size trip to the bar. Bohemians appear to be very good pork cookers and even the chicken legs were stuffed. AND, we do love a good potato pancake … still fighting these 4 pounds is frustrating. Did I mention I did not sample one dessert!?? Shoot. Maybe I’m losing size not pounds? Or, maybe there is some dieting rule about thinking what we would LIKE to eat as adding to calorie counts. Our friend brought up that we are moving around a lot more than before and that some of the weight might be converting over to muscle. I think that’s a pretty far stretch, but it beats thinking that our time of the month is just around the corner. HA! There’s nothing my mind would not dare to think by this point!

Ahh bedazzzled … thought you might want to know that V. got us to stop listening to JD for a while. We jus finished Frank Sinatra’s “Mack the Knife,” and that preluded perfectly to Enya’s Shepard Moons. Go figure? I subscribe listening to Jukebox Music and they have what is called, “My favorite station.” Somehow they collect an idea of the kind of music you listen to and that gets played back to you skipping around on artists. It’s serving good purpose now. Hehehe before that Paul Simon and George Winston. Odd enough stuff to be in my collection. Hmm, Charlotte Church? Am I confusing your mind yet?

Ok, ok … what’s next? Did I ever finish school? Think we got through the day’s plan. I wonder if we couldn’t dare look for a moment at the outline from last semester’s paper. AHA! We made a few changes, but we’ll stick to the basics. This is what we are looking at … 30 pages worth … ugh

OUTLINE FOR FINAL COURSE PAPER
Option A:
Summary of Knowledge
1. Sociopolitical issues & culturally appropriate interventions
2. Multicultural family interventions & cultural development
3. Non-western & indigenous approaches to treatment
4. Special population focus: African Americans
5. Special population focus: Asian Americans
6. Special population focus: American Indians & Alaskan Natives
7. Special population focus: Hispanic Americans
8. Special population focus: The elderly & persons with disabilities
9. Exploring the diversity of human sexuality & gender
10. Socioeconomic class & religious/spiritual orientations

Critical Analysis of Important Concepts and Theories of this Course

11. Changing demographics
12. Locus of control/responsibility
13. Values and barriers
14. Family characteristics
15. Educational status
16. Class affect on perception and behavior
17. Core mental health concerns
18. Religious and spiritual influence on World view

Synthesis of Ideas

19. Monoculturalism and acculturation
a. Personal mindset
b. Conclusion
20. Values of Western-based counseling
a. Strengths
b. Weaknesses
21. Values of Indigenous people and folk healers
a. Strengths
b. Weaknesses
22. Communication
a. Affect of this course on personal understanding
b. Communication to others (Staff and client training at work)
23. Treatment Strategies
a. Personal Change & Goals
b. Future Studies

Hmm, seems reasonable … would break down into about 1 1/3 pages per area of 23 areas. I’m not sure of skipping from knowledge to analysis and synthesis. If I were going to use Bloom’s original taxonomy it would go knowledge, comprehension, application, analysis, synthesis, and conclusion. I already sent in the outline for professor approval. Better make it work. I guess knowledge and comprehension go together, in that what I will do is collect as a summary what I had previously picked up in knowledge and so we’re pushed forward already to comprehension. Hmm, I like that. As far as application, I might want to establish a case study or more to go along with the paper to bail me out of trouble when an example might better explain a point. And then, I could easily see 22 Communication and 23 Treatment strategies as serving as a conclusion. Yep, yep works for me!

Ok, we’re past go … what would be the next step … if I were to give an example of say working on the final paper. WHICH FOR THE RECORD, I AM NOT! Hehehe That be much too scary. Well scary? What were to happen if I were to work on the final paper now that I’m interested, and just do that other paper tomorrow? It’s not due to then anyway. Sure give me a leg up to start pacing this bad boy down. Look to the right, look to the left, forward, backward … nope no V. We see Bon and Mal over there, but we want to keep them in reserve in case we really start to mess up on our V cues. Hehehehe Hmm, wonder how the mice are doing? No no … that’s no good … better concentrate … BUT, did you know that today was Mal’s birthday??? Yup, yup … thinking prime rib here. I think that’s what you call it. Sure hope that wasn’t a secret *Silly grin!*


Ok, ok goofy people. Better get back to work. Paper? Ok, let’s bet a Saturday on it. Still a whole 8 hours left to work. Sounds good to me!

AHA! We made it 7 hours of study. Pshwoo. Been studying to pieces. We gathered the first 16 resources for our paper, but the last … man … it was 35 pages! That took a while to get through. But, fortunately for us it is all interesting. The last paper was on traditional medicine in contemporary contexts: protecting and respecting indigenous knowledge and medicine. WooHOOO That’s a mouthful. Did you know that 25% of the medicine on the shelves originated from indigenous medicine? I didn’t know that! Real good paper.

But, alas … I’m yawning … bout time to move on … Mal if you get to this before the end of the night … one more Happy Birthday to you! And, nighty-nite and sweet dreams!