Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Could night typing become a new thing?

Evening. This is me. We're back at home and we wanted to try something different. We're too tired to be up at the computer doing our regular things, but we figured ... hey ... we do have a laptop at home we might as well try being more productive from here. There are some advantages to not being tied to the table with the Internet cord. We've still got the power cord, but it's really stretchable. I think there are a couple immediate hard things. One is that the computer seems to have tough corners that my forearm is leaning on and the other problem is that Chief insists on sitting so close to us, I can fairly say that my shoulder is aching. He's coming in above us and resting his gazump over the upper part of my left arm. I might try shifting him a little now ... Pswhoo ... can we say ... take advantage?

Hmm we think he took that fairly well, but with definite resistence. Whoops spoke too soon. He's up and looking for a better spot. It Shouldn't be on top of me though. Hmm, now he's got his right paw on my shoulder like he is telling me how it's going to be going. At least that's a lighter weight.

I will be glad when we get a new computer and this one goes back to work. One thing is that I know it's bothering Sister, but too it's not the perfect machine. Like the Word program doesn't work and I can't get the other Microsoft programs. It does get the Internet ... so that's pretty cool, but I'm really sure that Sister wouldn't be happy to find that we'd taken the computer on a fishy trip. It's a very slow baulky computer.

There seems to be breaking news stories. Geithner was just confirmed for treasury sectretary. They still seem to be going over the econimc bailout plan. We are watching Lou Dobbs now so you might imagine there are a lot of complaints. They've been having republicans complaining about the money going out, but then CA is set to receive 63 billion dollars. The complaint is that they are being rewarded for running up their budgets and being inrresponsible.

Yeeks and Blagojevich has been on the news all day today. CNN and a local radio station has been broadcasting the trial. Hmm, maybe we said that already.

We're thinking some positive thoughts for having the computer with us especially on the nights that Rich is out. It gives us a chance to at least talk amongst ourselve and have real thoughts beside just the ones that are following along with the news. Part of the good part too that we figured out is that we could sit fairly comfortably on the couch propped up by pillows and with our nice warm blanket over our laps and legs. Our legs and feet were so cold today. We just never warmed them up.

I don't have too much a sense of ownership in this computer, but it would be different to have the tablet. I can't get over the positive thoughts of having the writing part, I'm not sure how it would work though as to it having a lit screen to be writing on when it's dark. I don't know ... I use legal pads a lot at work. It would replace all of that. I hope that it picks up my writing. I can write pretty messy, but I hear it's supposed to be very good. I guess in a pinch I could straighten things up. I think though if I had it on the lap it would be the keyboard that be used. I'm thinking now about choosing a method by looking at whether it be beneficial to write right or left handed. There are times I'd like to give either or a break.

Rich would be glad to have the new computer because he could use it to be playing poker. He can't download the game on his work computer so it's on this one. I told him this afternoon when he called to check in that I was looking at one. He started that deep breathing thing he does, but then he let go and said something like well it is your money and not mine. He knows us pretty good. He said as long as he doesn't have to pay for anything he wouldn't say too much. It will be nice to have a computer that weighs less that's for sure! Hmm, took a few minutes to find that information, but at the time it was considered a light 7.5 pounds. The one we are looking at is 3.5, but up to 4.2 with the bigger 8-cell battery. Still it's substantial at almost half the weight.