Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Two for the price of one

Good morning, this is me. I think that is probably you, but my glasses may be dirty.

Hmm, it’s me again, but we sorta spent our time – the big part from 5-6 am looking around on the Internet. We went through all the stuff on the opening aol screen, but then we found a service that showed homes in the area. I found a GREAT home on Shields and Oak … It is a corner lot, across from a park, ranch, with 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room, family room and large eat in kitchen. Plus it’s only $259,900. The place is close too – it’s in our neighborhood. I showed Rich and he’s like not even taking nothing serious. There’s even a separate laundry room. I don’t know if it has a basement.

Hmm, ok, that’s that. I left a general question of inquiry. We’ll need to check things out. Rich was not very helpful, but you know me. Always pushing the envelope. I asked the broker/owner if they would consider no money down. Doesn’t hurt to ask.

Hmm, not getting very far here today. Yeeks. Just discovered that Rich left his cell phone here. That’s a no-no. Gotta now figure out … if he were to collect it. Would he go here or would he go to St. Rose? Hmm, gotta think St. Rose. I guess we’ll bring it with us. Let’s hope that he gives us a call since we cannot call him, hmm?

Good morning … this is me. We’re up again … We’ve taken valuable minutes to be getting our computer to act politely. She was trying to bog down … so we waited forever to close down windows that were open. We’re onto a new day … it’s Thursday.

Rich is now in the shower.

We ran into him a few moments before, but he was sorta crabby tired. He was looking at a harder work day, because he’d forgotten his phone at home … oh we said that. Turns out it would have been better to leave it at home, because toward the end of the day he came looking for it, but to be fair, he could have called me right away and asked me if I’d seen it. Hmpf!

Nah … not like that it wasn’t a big deal, but he was out late … Rich came home about 8 pm. We’d come home earlier, because we thought he’d be here, but it turns out that he had golf, then he stopped for a drink – umm, we heard just one … and then he stopped at the store to pick up a few things that included kitty food. We had been a little worried for him because we couldn’t get in touch with him, but then we were a little frustrated.

We had spent all that time listening to commentators getting ready for the big speeches from Bill Clinton and Joe Biden – and then there was the little movie Spielberg put out on the military. But, he came in and didn’t want to pay attention. First he made several long trips out to the kitchen to get his dinner prepared and then he got on the phone and started talking to at least 4 people, and then he decided to go to bed before the speeches were over. I can’t figure that out … He should have been more interested. But, apologetically enough I should tell you he prefers McCain. UGH! He’s missing the historical content of what’s happening … I really believe that its Obama’s time in history.

The speeches were great! I can hardly wait to hear from Obama tonight. He did a special guest appearance last night after Biden’s speech but not for long … Just a few words to welcome Biden and his family. Biden had his whole family on air. There were quite a few of them.

Hmm, now we’re back again. We were talking to Rich for a bit, and we took our shower and that subset of duties. Rich was feeling better … but he has a meeting with the head of JVS … this is bigger than his immediate boss. He was having the fleeting thoughts that he could be fired. But, there is no evidence to think that … he does good. If he is fired it’s because JVS is going to be closing down their workshop program. It’s hard to know what the new executive director has in mind for that.

We’re going to hope for the best.

There was a situation with his family in that his brother-in-law who is an executive vice-preseident of something was fired this week. He’s like 55 so most likely they were downsizing. Rich has never said anything to make either one of us believe he got fired due to lack of merit. So now people including Rich and his wife are thinking they are vulnerable to being fired too. I think it’s just part of the process of getting older and more vulnerable. Companies just don’t have the same loyalties as they used to have.

The other part of the conversation that came up was that of Bob’s son … Rich’s friend. Apparently, while Bob and Rich and Ron were playing golf yesterday, Bob got a call to say that his son had just received 6 tickets from driving violations. I guess as part of that he tried evading the police stopping him. He started off at 10 miles over the speed, but they busted him at 115 miles per hour. Rich is thinking that the only reason the kid would try something that dumb is because he had drugs in the car. He’s had violations for that already, although Rich says they expunged that record. He’s still a juvenile. Rich thinks though from his experience with personnel that the records really don’t get expunged.

One way or another it was a pretty big deal. Rich had a lot to talk through about it. He’s feeling really bad for Bob and he keeps repeating that the kid is not that bad a kid, in that he respects his father and is polite doesn’t swear, all that stuff. I think though that this kid is going to continue going down bad paths. Rich says he’s normal as to not wanting to wake up – sleeps in and all that, but that’s really just the norm for kids. He said he was going to pass on the message that he is disappointed in what the kid did. I can really tell that Rich is worried over him and Bob. I like that part of Rich … he’s very empathetic.

Something else happened last night … I got to talk to Alexis Thom’s wife. It was a very nice talk and I’m so happy we got a chance to do this. I really like her and am very happy that she trusted me enough to talk so earnestly. I want to let her know that she’s family and that we will do anything we can to encourage support in her direction.

I’d like to go further in that, but like the boys … I want to respect her privacy. I did though talk to Thom yesterday morning too. He seems to think that he’s going to be moved … forgot what you call it. But, oh I know evacuated. Damn I need to remember these simple things. Maybe there is an element of fear here. I don’t want Thom to be in danger of Hurricane Gustov. It seems like it’s going to go right over head. I think he’s evacuating with his troops to Georgia. Most likely he’ll be moved today. I hope he is able to stay in communication. I know the government is going to secure their own. Most likely they move the troops now, so that they can come back to help in case the situation becomes untenable.

Hmm, that’s probably all I have time for today. Today is the last day before a 4 day vacation. WooHOO!!! I’m so happy about that. Today is the day of the center’s picnic. I’m not sure if it’s going to rain or not, but I’m hoping the weather holds out. I’m going to try avoiding going, because it means that I’ll have time to get other things accomplished. I worked yesterday on updating the situation with Outlook. So far the new system seems to be working pretty good, but I don’t have the iPod hooked in yet. I’ll bring the cord today to see if I can get that taken care of from the work computer.

Ok, moving!