Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Ok, let's now hit the gym?

Hmm that’s interesting officially I am a baby boomer … never sure of that but I’m the last year of them – 1959. This is the break down … I’ve never seen it before.

The Silent generation – people born before 1946

The Baby Boomers – people born between 1946 and 1959

Generation X – people born between 1960 and 1979

Generation Y – people born between 1980 and 1995

That makes my parents part of the first generation, me and Rich in the second generation and my three sons all generation Y’s. Cool, cool … have to read more up on generation Y – though I’m pretty sure these are all electronic dudes. Hehehe

Whoops … good morning. Just me. We’re back. We took our shower, medicines and packed our bag. Hmm, now we got to figure out about the gym though.

Hmm, we just looked one more time for the swimming suit … aha! We looked one more place and found at least ONE of our bathing suits. I thought the last one we had was black and something and this is more blue with purple designs. It seems to fit well enough, but now I have to worry about shaving. Shoot, what am I going to do about that? AND, am I going to need a swim cap? Those questions have not been answered yet. I also haven’t seen the women’s locker room yet, so I don’t know how that’s going to go. I’ll have to do a transition somewhere, but I think I’m going to need one more day to do it.

I did say that I got a membership at Bally’s right? That’s pretty important. Rich was very frustrated with me the first round, but then seemed to calm down … he apologized later, but he didn’t have to. I had done something spontaneous again with our money. I didn’t mean to … just didn’t know what else to do. I’d gotten to the 76 pound loss category and it seemed like if I was going to be losing substantial weight I’d have to start working on my body so I don’t have so much flabby stuff hanging around at the end. There still might be … not quite sure how that goes. But, I know I have to be building strength and endurance and going past the 75 pound mark seemed to say something significant.

The first session I had a trainer walking me through the processes. That was tough. But, I got an idea of the stuff that I was supposed to do. It was an hour long workout and I felt pretty tired afterward. There were a few things that I don’t think I’ll be doing on my own. Like anything where I have to get down to the floor and be doing stuff is going to be out. Mostly because I don’t have what it takes yet to be getting up without some kind of support. The first time I struggled through it, but then the second time he helped me and I thought I was going to topple the both of us. That be pretty embarrassing. But, I liked the machines and I did ok walking on the tread mill and around the track. I did 5 minutes on the first … and I did 4-5 times around on the second. That’s probably pretty good for me. though 16 times around is the 1 mile mark. So that means I only did a quarter mile. It’s worth the thought though.

I have to have some way of keeping track of what I’m doing. Because there are so many things it’s difficult to do. I don’t know the names of things and you know my memory problems. I don’t see others carrying around a pad of paper, but we’ll have to figure that out. Maybe after a while I’ll get the hang of which machines and what counts. The trainer Adam said that we should be improving on our numbers each time we return. We’ll see. Oh and we should be doing multiple times at each station switching up and going back to what we’d done previously. That’s a good trick to remember.

Other than that … not too much, except at the end, Adam took me into his office and started the sales pitch as if it were a done deal that I would be purchasing extra training hours. It is too expensive though to take seriously … The sessions are like $59 for an hour, and down to $40 if you take bigger packages of time, but it is still astronomical. I told him at the end of his pitch that I could more see hiring him one on one periodically if I needed to be reinforced or to learn new objectives after I’d built up some time perfecting regular stuff. I know that he seemed disappointed, but then that’s the nature of the beast. He was pretty presumptuous to think we were going to be able to put out $1000 for 4 months of training. YEEKS!

The one other thing is that we are going to need getting used to having a lot of people around us – especially guys. There are people all over the place. Not to say there aren’t open machines, just that we need to get used to the thought of others around and everybody watching each other. It’s a little daunting. But, with the kind of prices we put into this … we can’t get bogged down by this. We need to focus on that this is OUR experience, and the others are just observers keeping us honest.

Hmm, that’s about it … there was a little more in that we had a staffing for one of our clients yesterday. This is the one where the father talks so much. It took us an hour and a half to get through the session. Sister never comes to this one because she gets so irritated with the talking. She’s the type that wants to state the business and then move along. I enjoy doing this one, but I know it takes more stamina than I usually have to summon up. Sigh.

Ok, better get going now. We’ve got a day to put in. More later too on the client that has been giving me so much grief. We laid down new rules yesterday and she seemed to be a little more reserved, but that’s a long unending battle that we’re going to need taking day to day. We’ll see. For now though … better get going.

Let’s have a good one, K?