Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Sunday night and Fishyman returns!!!

Hi this is me again. It’s now closer though to 5:45 pm. We’ve gone through the day with a few good notations, but not a real lot because we didn’t write. We read about 60 pages too, but even that is not a whole lot. And it seems like the last hour we’ve watched the Endeavor circle around the world. I think its down by Australia now so that actually makes about two times around. We’ve got the mission control center on our left screen and when they talk to the astronauts then we hear what they say back and forth. Im sure a lot of other people are doing the same thing, but it seems real important when you are doing it.

We know Commander Scott Kelly and someone named Scorch. Now they are talking about an experiment they have with bacteria. I think someone has to put it back in the freezer. Oh oh … I guess they are really going over the NE corner of Africa. Hmm, think this would be a good time for some grapefruit? Woohoo … put away some stuff too like dirty dishes because we just talked to Sweet and he said he’d be home in about 50 minutes. Something didn’t work out with helping his buddy move because I think he got in too late, but he is on the way home and that IS something we need to pay attention to.

Mmm grapefruit done … tasty, but much too quickly eaten. Nothin much happening at Mission control now. I think one woman just headed out to the bathroom, because she took her purse with her. It looks like there are about a dozen people in the room.

There are three big screens on the front wall and everyone has like 3-4 computers on their desk and it looks like they get a choice of what kind of chair they get. The funny thing about this is that they seem to have as much problem with desk clutter as we do. I’d say the room is about 1/3 full. I don’t know how they do it working with each other so closely in one room for such a long period. I think some of them look kinda bored. Hmm, I shouldn’t have said anything, because now they’re just doing a screen shot of the world. They are over the ocean between Africa and Australia. They don’t dilly dally around.

I’m just starting to tune in now as if this last 5 days didn’t happen. I knew there was something going on, but it wasn’t until I got to CNN.com that I realized there was a live video. Actually I tuned into it to hear a press conference on the mine situation, and then when that went off I tuned in here. I didn’t realize what I had gotten right away … It was like umm, we’re listening to astronauts circling the globe? Man that kinda thing just doesn’t happen everyday. Hmm, another guy going off .. maybe to have a smoke – whoops he took what seems to be the second in control. Or at least the guy who sits next to the boss. Darn just get to some good stuff and they turn the camera back to the globe. For a while they had us looking at the close up map over the blue and the clouds. That’s pretty cool. Hey! Where did the boss guy go? There’s some flaky person waving her hands about … what’s up with that?

It’s funny when they all stand up they sort of hover for a moment checking their screens and hoisting their pants. I think what might be happening is that there is a shift change. But, I’m not sure. The guy in command said something that got me thinking. AHA … miscellaneous items. Ahh they are going to send down some pictures and they are sending email up there! How about that! Ahh, they are back to the picture of the blue cloudy globe to the NW corner of the screen. It’s a pretty cool deal to see what they see if they look out the window. There’s a picture of an electric arm there too, but it is put into its night time place. I wonder how they do that without running into space rocks up there. Couldn’t something get hit off?

Earlier they were discussing something about one of the tiles that had deteriorated – it would seem that’s old news to most though. Maybe it happened during take off.

During the press conference they were saying that they have equipment to make a model of the pictures and data they have of the broken tile, and they will put it through simulated conditions of reentry. That way they will know if it has to be fixed before they come home. And, I guess there was some oxygen or something shipped to them or from a docking station or something, because they now have enough whatever to make it a 14 day trip rather than 11 I believe. That’s a pretty wild thing … I hope no one gets home sick. They are moving around the pictures and making me kind of dizzy. They changed camera angles. Hmm, no focusing in or out … someone’s just playing for the optimal shot. The view they are on now you can see the tail of the plane … or well whatever they call it – copy that?

Hehehe This is pretty gosh darn cool stuff. Hmm, there’s mission control flying by New Zealand soon and then over the Pacific again. I guess they are orbiting … didn’t know that. Ahh, they are going to watch a hurricane. Category 4 storm.

It’s about 1000 miles away from Hawaii. I wonder if that’s real far away. 12 mph going west, but its weakening. Shoot, don’t you want to turn on your own CNN video? Ahh 215 miles up. Cool now he’s saying something about the International space docking station. I didn’t realize that … so much to learn!

Yup … pretty sure then that’s New Zealand that darker space. Hmm, fishy man’s coming in in about 15 minutes. I wonder … hmm, maybe I should take an extra shower for the day? You never know … he said something about backrubs. Ohhh, and before we forget we saw the Joe today. That’s always something. The kids so gosh darn impressionable. Hmm, now we’re viewing the space ship. I wonder if that’s the docing part. Looks like something connected to another and there is those solar panel like things that seem to be on either side. Guy is trying to focus in and get a clearer picture. Now he’s backed up and is going around the other side. Ahh there … he got the light right. Now Earth is in the NE corner of the screen. Sure has a lot of dohickey’s on that ship. Hmm, this is not helping me get my extra shower in. Better go though … you know we’re disconnecting when fishyman comes through that door. BRB.

Wow … we’re back … for a moment. They just went over the eye of the Hawaiian hurricane. That was something. There is is again. It’s supposed to be just south of the islands and pass by it. Ahh a new person talking to the space crew. Whooops gotta go!