Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Soo ..soooo tired. This fishy's friend is fried! Nitey nite.

Good morning. We’re fresh at it again. We’ve been at it for a little bit, but pretty much going over just one thing. Our Sweetie Pie sent us a little note last night about his Fishy place. My dear received some very special honors for being the top fishy-man of the year. I can’t tell you how proud I am of him. Oh man … I thought I was through, but now just this little bit thinking of him again and I’m wiping away the tears again. I don’t know what it is about those bunny eyes that bring me to my knees. He makes us quiver to pieces! *SIGH***** don’t know quite what to do with all these feelings we’re having for him. They are very strong and by now we’re recognizing that we’re a bit overwhelmed with it. I’m not having a whole lot of new feelings, it’s just that every one of them I have concerning is just so pounding. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THAT GUY! See do you see what I mean!?? ARGH!!! I’ve got to slow down … might have to take my medicine a bit early. Oh man … slow down, mi, slow down!

Ok, we’re going to need distracting ourselves. Otherwise … we’ll need to put ourselves down. Don’t want to do that … right? Ok, ok that’s better … we paused long enough to look out the window. Did you know that somehow it snowed on us last night? We were drawn by a cold howling wind. Feeling a little cold right now. Whope! Sure enough there is a blanket just fit for that. Oh oh more trouble …. Missy says move the coffee cup because we are HER blanket. Oh fishy fishy fishy friend. We are humbled by you. But, how am I going to think? I gotta do something different … feelings too strong. It’s only though 5 am … too early for the medicine, right?

Missy is trying to calm us down … no … she’s not just using us for a blanket! Man-o-man … sloooooooooooowww down. Let’s think of something different, k? Hmm, there goes a plow. That helps us to think of Deb … God Bless her … she got more snow too. I think pretty much Colorado is filling up with snow … and all those snowbunny people using the mountains are tipsy and delirious from so much white, excitement, hot chocolate, and love. Oh sure … that’s what those people do up in the mountains … high altitude steamy window-making … I’m pretty sure it goes like that! OHHHHKKKK we’re not done thinking about our special fishy guy. BUT, we’re pretty sure also, cuz we seem “pretttttty sure” of everything this morning … that we shouldn’t be thinking what we are at the same time as we’re writing, or that is going to get one of us in trouble. Oh dear … that’s not such a good idea.

Ok, ok … think we’re going to need putting ourselves down to sleep … Please let my arms feel rested and the coffee still hot when we get up. Just got to rest our mind.

Good morning … part II … it is now 7:30 am and we just got up again. We’re going to try again, though we reread what we wrote and realized we’re still in a crying mood. This is terrible! But, we took our medicine … things should be better soon. Please let it absorb before fishy friend signs on … we’ll be swept off our feet for the entire day! Pswhoo we all know I can’t do that, right? Too much school work ahead. Ok, no more thinking of special person calendar pin-up boy for a bit. Did you know that the calendar they handed out to all the guys is full of their fishing pictures, and the pictures in January are all of our Sweetie-Pie. I’m so hoping he can get an extra copy, but I’m not sure if they made a copy to go to the special woman. That was something I was concerned about … one of the first things he had said in his note was that most of the men had their women with him and he was only one of three without someone’s hand to hold. That made me feel sad that I was a mistress and not a wife. Because he really should have had someone’s hand with him to appreciate how important the night was. I’ll have to do some very important hand-holding when I see him next so he remembers that I go with him wherever he is. At least as much as he wants me. Back to the “pretty sures” … I think he might want to have some privacy in the bathroom. Uh huh, uh huh…

OHHHHK. We are doing it again. We NEED to focus on something here. Might as well be school work. Why don’t we go over to the school and check things out.
In describing the final paper and ideas I would like to develop:

In combining social comparison and self-insight: We consider as an individual, "I might feel myself as positively higher than another; though "they" as others might perceive me negatively lower than its collective selves." In a sense nobody meets the mark, though we can privately think we have. It seems if you claim to be a big fish, larger fish can and will come by to eat you. If you can lay low as if you were a little fish, bigger fish may leave you alone - perhaps even, because there are bigger fish to fry. It seems there is almost more independence being a small fish from a large pond. Small ponds can be tough on the big fishes. Case in point … we considered Tom Cruise's audaciousness of jumping on Oprah's couch. Both Oprah and Cruz are bigger fish in a small super-star pond. Oprah obviously though was the bigger fish, and the couch represents the smaller pond where all the bigger fishes meet.

The question then would be, what is the relevance of comparing oneself, up or down?

1. Social Comparison and self-insight
2. Relevance/irrelevance of comparing self up/down
3. Within groups and between groups
4. Receiving feedback from others
5. In a discrimination-distressed relationship
a. Being stigmatized
b. Being threatened
i. Affiliation with others
ii. The role of cognitive clarity
iii. Being big fish in a little pond, little fish in a big pond
iv. Lowering comparisons by devaluating self
v. Poor performance
6. New theory of self-perception
7. The effect of social comparison on learning and goals