Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Monday, December 25, 2006

Shoot just getting to yesterday :( Christmas slipping away on us.

Good morning. Or, should we say good afternoon. It is now 12:03 pm. We’ve been busy working on our goal/task project structure. I am saying that singularly, because
Even if they are appearing to compete … sooner or later this project carousel will fall into line. For the most part getting from one place to another seems to be a process of figuring things out along the way. I have many tasks going, but I’d like to think just one project. And, at the time being the one project is to complete tasks and routines. Following along the mode of the Project Management course we are now taking routines might be functional management, although we are going to time date ours for one year to see what kind of discipline we can corral.

As anyone that knows us knows we’re better at starting than finishing. Ok, ok … I’ve heard that before give me something new. But, for now we’ve worked all morning on our order and if you’d been paying attention … we’ve been trying to organize ourselves to be completing goals for quite a few weeks if not months. Each time we get a little more concise in understanding our needs. We are doing this while conceding new goals are added and others completed so this has to be like an living breathing organism.

We mentioned yesterday that we need to restructure because our job/career path is changing. Sister had asked us to work out the details of assuming a position as a Program Director rather than a QMRP, although I will suggest to her we maintain the standards of a QMRP by achieving 12 CEUs a year. This is a very easy task and gets us out into the community. We haven’t gone over yesterday’s loose materials in further narrowing down skill sets for the position, but we decided that to be a program director without any direct authority beside staying on top of one of the two Q’s and staff development (the Q and the 8 DSPs). I think that is how many there are. Pshwoo Sr. seems to be adding yet. Good idea that someone’s doing something! We still don’t know or have any reason to assume yet the chain of command has changed, although it would make sense there was some differences. We’ll wait and see on that one. We’re up to here so far …

I need to define the present program and further develop it. Naming projects will assist me in framing necessary tasks that will help build a program, but there needs to be upfront vision.. We don’t know if program director at our center is going to direct people within the program, or directs projects that compose the necessary elements of the program. It would seem I would have a responsibility to form the program’s present and future scope. We don’t know if the program will continue to be connected to only my mind/CARF papers, or if it will be a program of real substance. The five domains are at the moment the pillars of the program (achievement, social, personal, community, and living), but in all practicality their direct affect on the organization is within my head. Hmm, so as a Program Director I might develop the domains to be more useful to DSPs, Q’s, and Administrator. Projects might need to be approved by the sister, or she might give me a little latitude. Until she trusts me (not cause ripples) we can count on little latitude. As long as I don’t impose (seamless systems), I have more latitude, so it behooves me to create a program she can trust.


The Center offers a comprehensive program assisting adults with developmental disabilities secure independence within the community; we assist individuals striving for their highest potential. We value and support individual self-sufficiency and control by enlisting acts of choice-, decision-making and self-regulation. Under the center’s guidance, individuals are challenged to responsibly give forethought, perform, and evaluate their goals and the goals of the community. The pillar of the program is to increase individual competency in achievement, social, personal, community, and living domains.


Wow …

We’re back again … but now its about quarter after 4. We had spent a really long time on the mission statement in the above paragraph. We kinda burned out our brain a bit. But, we really liked what we had. It incorporates ideal, plus what we had, plus what we need. I haven’t read it now since back. We gave ourselves a GOOOOOOD amount of time on a routine goal of sitting back and reading from the National Geographic. That was nice. Let me look at it again now.

Hmm, pretty good … It’s not perfect yet. We’re going to work on it over the next few days. We need a working mission statement … something to base everything else so it has to be very tight. I like the first sentence fine. Ok, ok … done it over I like it a lot now.

AHA! Someone just SPLURGED on Pizza! As much as I love my sweetie he just doesn’t seem to appreciate Chicago Deep Dish Veggie Pizza!!! Woo HOOO Mushrooms on the side too. Wow … that’s the way to go. *Sigh* My tummy is in such appreciation. It’s about 5:30 pm now and the football game is on in the background. Denver against Cincinnati. Denver’s in front 21 – 7. Well, that’s enough football. Have to see if I can focus for the rest of the night. I REALLY want always to get more done, but I’d be happy with some Project school. I think we are to the point where I’m going to type out some responses here to questions asked. Just a few. Hold on.

Project management is a sound strategy because proactive styles work better in environments where more has to be done with less. In these environments people look ahead to potential risk and resolve prior to things becoming a problem, which is considered reactive. I could benefit by project management principles by just thinking ahead of what I am looking for in a new position. I can assess risks and contraindicate their development like loosing sisters trust by going to far in front of her. We need to focus on developing a style of directing that allows me to gain her trust. The project that I’ve tried to focus on today have been listed in the MS Project program as “Completing Tasks and routines.” The tasks and routines are listed as 1) Doing the morning routines, 2) going to the gym, 3) reading “the Motivated Mind”, 4) Completing the course on Project Management, 5) Learning the MS Project Manager program, 6) Working at least 2 hours a day on the Paper Tiger Program, 7) screen projects for competing tasks/goals, 8) Gramma’s history work, 9)learning to self-regulate, 10) increasing commitment to education, and 11) completing some off-task maintenance chores; like eating.

I see the biggest problem is in time management and focusing. I also see that I have set-out to do a lot of goals.