Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Just setting down some late morning work ... brb

Good morning. It’s me and Chief again … Whoops extra run … darn forgot medicine too ... better do that before we get comfy. It’s already 9:20 am. We were talking to our sweetie for about 10 minutes but then he had to go suddenly …not sure if that conversation is done. We woke up kinda late. Well we were up for a few minutes, but had gone back to bed and now we’re up again. Did the normal things like mail and a little news, but not so much … just getting rid of the cob webs.

Our friend has passed his officiating test this morning. He was an early bird for sure. He said there were 100 questions. Yeeks … that was a lot of thinking before 9 am. Hehehe he was back now for a moment and now he’s REALLY gone … says he’s out shopping for his family … he buys one gift every year and he’s very faithful toward it … He’s such a funny goose. I love him to pieces for it.

There was one sad thing that we needed to talk about for a moment. I had forgotten to tell him, but one of my clients had a kidney removed Thursday night. It had a large tumor and they had tried to cut off the blood flow, but obviously that was not enough. I worry because there was a tumor on her other kidney as well. I asked our friend how serious it is and he said its pretty bad. I don’t know how to process these thoughts. This client was one of my first 3 clients 7 years ago. She and I know each other pretty good. And, she holds the honor of being the only client who has ever hit me. That’s gotta count in somebodies book. Another lesson learned from her … never turn your back on someone who is angry. Ouch! Ok, that’s enough for now … we are going to put this special set of thoughts somewhere safe. If you have a few extra prayers please send them in her direction.

Our kitty is back and into his winsome ways. He’s funny too … I just watched his tail follow my arm while I reached for and drank a cup of coffee. Then he tucked it quietly in again. These kitties. There is not telling just how beguiling they will go. Hmpf!

So, let’s see here … where are we exactly. It is a Saturday morning, the sails are up and the path is clear, though perhaps not straight forward. What to think, what to think … I suppose the normal part is to review some work thoughts. Not sure where all that is, but I think I was giving you information during the week so there is not so much to say now. We did have a little scare yesterday in that the new Q. became so emotional she had to leave for home early in the day. She was crying, but we don’t know why, except I don’t think it had anything to do with us. Her mother was there and she knows, so I just hope that it works out for her. Our friend tried to explain what having daughters was like, but I just have to admit I don’t understand it. I know though that we get emotional so I guess that’s enough of a background.

We had Thinking Group finally yesterday … we worked on listening objectives and I was introducing new ways to think of things and new word definitions that we could act out. It was ok, though its hard when there are so many people getting up during the meeting to go home. Really breaks things up and we can’t seem to get to involved, because every 3 or 4 minutes somebody is standing in the middle of the room, putting on his coat, hat, and mittens and dependent on his personality, people want to be saying goodbye. I think I’m going to mention it to Sr., but before that I’ll have to come up with a better system and there just might not be one. The alternative is to have the meeting in the morning or hour earlier, but that sets up problems of its own. We at one time used to have the meeting on Wednesdays right after chapel. That was nice, but a long, long time ago. There was nothing real special that happened yesterday. I’m still not holding on to a grand scheme … be nice to plan something over the holidays, but holidays seem to come and go so easily with their own agendas. *Sigh*

Anything else? Hmm, not much … didn’t get done with quite as much work, but we were giving it some heart. I got done with the insert part of four more client annuals. I’m feeling pretty good about it. I would like to shoot for next week having the last four done and doing as well the skeleton and goals/objectives part. Then I will be all done. I figured out yesterday that out of the 92 documents required to be in the files, we are 10 shy. Some of these are dentist and state ID so they won’t count against. But, there are some psychologicals and doctors that we’re still worrying over. I think if I concentrate real hard and don’t have too many disruptions next week, I can get them done. It would be nice though to go into work on Monday, because it was too spread out to bring the work this direction. We’ll have to see. Maybe I could get into some CARF work and I won’t have to worry too much. We’ll see … at the top of the hour … I’d still like to finish some annual work.

It became apparent that the new Q had been behind over these last several days. She is just starting the point of typing out the Qnotes for November and December. That is going to take every bit of the next 4-5 days. I’d hoped that she was almost finished with that by now, but she isn’t. So, we’re going to need helping out more with the finishing of the annual objectives.

There is one more side issue or project coming up. Sister gave us our Christmas bonus and of course that is going back toward gifts for the Center. Yesterday, we decided that our gift to the clients was going to be a specially made card and a tiny bit of cash. How tiny? You’d be surprised. We are going to put in $2.25 for each of the 47 clients. I think the other old Q might chipped in, but she’s warning that she doesn’t have very much, so we told her she didn’t need to put in the full amount to make it halves. This happens every year and we’re used to it .. in that I come up with an idea and she goes in it with us. Usually we get some small thing from the office supply store, but we thought this year they could go to the dollar store themselves. For our clients its still a big deal. The cards have been extremely fun to do. We got done on Friday afternoon half of them. We are going through selections from our Print shop program, and altering them slightly to fit individually the clients. We’re hoping that amongst other things that excite them on the party day, they will want to show their different cards to each other. Not all of them of course, but they like to know and tell everyone about their uniqueness. We’re making sure the names get printed in each of the cards and the cards look sharp! They are all quarter-folded and colorful.

We’ll have to finish that project on Monday. I don’t know if the party is Thursday or Friday and I don’t know which day we have off.

There were a couple of instances where I though I was going to get work done and somebody or another stopped by to talk. Our sweetie was at the top of the list. I’m not sure what we talked about now, but I remember we were talking when sister came in with the pay checks and Christmas cards. Hehehe I remember now after she left. We figured it out so that I gave the person collecting for sisters gifts a $100 that I was given. I got $20 back and the rest was for my friend and me for both sisters gifts. They are giving her a card toward Sears where she likes to shop. My friend had given me a $20 to contribute, but he got that back and now he owes us $40 that we wanted to go for a nice dinner out. He wanted to pay back cash already and we said noooooooooo … we’ll just spend it … Umm like that happened to the $20 we got back. We discovered they opened a China buffet just a couple of blocks from work. Damn. On that same line, we gave him a check for $1,200 to hold for us for emergencies. He wanted to say that was pay off for the dentist, but we said NOOOOOOO… under that deal we were going to pay him $100 a month. This is the deal where we have money set aside for car or other emergencies so he doesn’t have to be stretched out with us. He was teasing too, because he said that for the time being it would cover his emergency money fund that had been down. He says he keeps a certain pocket of money just in case everything collapses and he has to get out quick. Wow. Good thinking! We’re a little nervous here though, because this week he’s already mentioned needing to come here for a couple of days in case something happened. I don’t know or never know what’s going on over there, but we’ve upped ourselves a code color. I know that somebody over there is fighting with a couple of her kids … and we don’t or won’t know any more than that, but I can see the pressure it puts on our sweetie, because he always wants his kids to know how welcome they are back under his wing. He is a big advocator of keeping his family together, which under the circumstances might seem out of place, but really aren’t.

While I think he needs and had needed a friend in this world when we met up, he’s still and always has worked on keeping his family together. My task is not to interfere with all that. I hear somethings about the kids, like I know his youngest is going to graduate with his associates degree on Wednesday, as he knows mine is graduating tomorrow. I think we’re both pretty proud of that. We seem to be able to do that even though the boys do not know each other and their programs and schools are different. We’re each proud for the other. I feel bad to know there’s other problems going on because this week should be all about the graduates. But, that kinda stuff happens and just need to keep working toward resolution.

Soooooo … that’s that

I think we’re almost caught up to today. There’s one more note in that our Sweetie came over after his game last night and will come over again tonight after his son wrestles (he’s going to watch). I think that’s a pretty good deal even if we don’t get to eat together and I zonk out on him … last night we stayed up until about 10:30 pm and that was great for me. It was a nice casual encounter and like so many more before it, simply a pleasure.

Ok, then … what’s next. It’s about 10:15 am. and I’ve now just cleared the theoretical slate for the day. Seems like we’ve had some distance from some of the goal work that we’d been working on earlier in the week. Maybe we should get back to that to continue the day proper. It might mean doing our Flylady things though and I’m not sure if we’re ready for that yet. I know, I know … supposed to start out there. Who makes up these rules, anyway?

Our stomach is bothering us despite countless washroom trips. Sorry that might be a little personal. But, we need to let that settle first. Too much buffet maybe.

Ok … maybe it won’t hurt too much to open that other can of worms, but if we don’t get into it fast I’m calling a saved place where we can get out if I want!

HMPF!

Hmm, the goals didn’t start up fresh with new day so the ones we’d listed as 100% for the day, are still showing that they are complete instead of resetting each day. That is going to mean something as to the planning. Just in case you forgot … some of this planning now is trying to incorporate more goals of all parts of the system so that we can work not against each other. So, I’m sorry if not everyone is happy, but I do appreciate you for bringing us across the gap. We’ll try not to get too obsessed over here. It’s like though playing a game of strategy. A little give here, a little take there. Ok, let’s see where to start.

Ok, ok … started to go through that some. We changed all of our morning routines to weekly instead of daily and we marked them all generically 80% complete. That number is abstract. Basically that way it shows that the goal is not complete. The goal is set to expire tomorrow. So maybe if we do the goal today, we’ll mark it 90% complete and if we can do it tomorrow, we’ll mark it 100%, complete and see if it refreshes for the next week. Then well take it up by 14% each day to reflect one day out of 7. We might however say that we go from 14 to 28 to 42 to 100% if we’re only doing the goals the 3 days that we are home.

Now looking over the other goals on the list … My review Goal Plan states that for some reason b. getting up folding the blanket, weighting, and feeding the kitties, and c. showering, brushing teeth/floss, and getting dressed are both at critical recurring stesps. Actually that is true in that I have to do those critical steps everyday and when I don’t we get messed up. But, I can’t figure out why those got coded differently than the other 20 steps as part of our morning routine. We’ll look into that more when we get warmed up to the program.

For goals past due it is saying that we need to screen our list for goals and list competing projects. I think that goal is reflective of that short list we made on Monday. Better go take a look at that now.

Ok, that’s not too bad … the list includes

Flylady’s morning routines … we got that
New goal outline … that’s what we’re doing that holds all the rest
Group work on MW2 … we need to write a goal for that I think … cuz its not getting done
Self-regulation outline … we got that to the brain project, but we need to do it in the goal outline.
Motivational book. We’ve got that ready
Going to the gym. Hmm, that’s a major not incorporated, but might become a part of the morning routine
Gramma’s history project … that needs to be scheduled after first of year settles down
Writing in our blog … we’re doing that, but it needs to be written in as well.

Hmm, skimming down that entry for the day these ideas were noted … it looks like there might be more work to do with the goals already figured into the goal manager, like adventure, artistic, asset, etc. Seems like there is definitely work to do on the motivation stuff, but that everything we do should be including the self-regulated learning, which is a big part of MW2/multiples. How do I incorporate that into the mix?

Ok, good good. I condensed those notes to this and I added this to our “My Notes” section on the front page of the goals. This should serve as a reminder on how we can best get things accomplished. I had to do it under 2000 words, so we took it down to skeleton form. Might want to read through it now just to check it out. Hold on.

Wow. That’s pretty good stuff. Very clean and to the point. I should check on that word enertia though. I think it is like energy, but I want to be sure. Ok, that’s cool … it says a property of matter by which it remains at rest or in uniform motion in the same straight line unless acted upon by some external force. So in that respect … it’s kind of like what happens unless a change is imposed.

My Notes

Self-regulated learning (direction to transform abilities into skills - attainment of goals)

A. Forethought - Precede efforts

1. Set goals from specific outcomes
2. Select learning strategy to obtain goals
3. Believe in capability to learn or perform
4. Focus on learning process
5. Become rewarded by effort not tangible end state
rewards

B. Performance - processes in achieving effort and concentration

1. Protect intention from distractions
2. Give yourself self-instruction (imagery)
3. Self-monitor for progress

C. Self-reflection

1. Self-evaluate for standards of efficiency,
effectiveness, and satisfaction.
2. Attribute causal meaning between personal and
contextual factors.
3. Note positive or negative self-reaction that
assists/detracts from reinforcing approach.
4. Adapt evaluation to performance - create inertia to
facilitate learning (what will happen unless a change
occurs)

I. Thoughts - Interpersonal, intrapersonal, and contextual conditions of processed knowledge and experience

II. Feelings - Integration of emotion with thought

III. Strategies - Reading, writing, listening, & speaking

IV. Behaviors - Follow through


Ok, need to move on here … where were we … trying to unsetltle our kitties so they will let me type in peace. Both of them are geared for me not to do as much moving as I would like. Sometimes like this its very inconvenient. Hmm. It’s already 11:30 am. Shoot the day’s just sliding past. Ok, ok … let’s not panic. We need to move on. What’s next.

Wow! Ok, this is what it looks like so far … I think it will copy over … I included in this list the things mentioned above that I wanted to assure were all in our goals.

Add New Goal to Plan




Complete Morning Routines

Deadline: 12/17/2006 (1 Days) Reminder: 12/12/2006 (-4 Days) Deadline Extensions: 1
a. Get out of bed and hit the ground FLYing! (1 Days) Extensions: 0

b. Get up fold the blanket, weigh and feed the kitties (1 Days) Extensions: 1

c. Shower and brush teeth/floss and get dressed to lace up shoes, fix your (1 Days) Extensions: 1
d. While in bathroom - Swish and swipe (1 Days) Extensions: 0

e. Grab load of laundry start washer and dryer (1 Days) Extensions: 0

f. Check calendar/goals manager for today's activities (1 Days) Extensions: 0

g. Empty dishwasher (1 Days) Extensions: 0

h. Assure sink is still polished (1 Days) Extensions: 0

i. Eat something good for us and take medicine and vitamins (1 Days) Extensions: 0

j. Drink our water (1 Days) Extensions: 0

k. Reread auto-booster from hypnotist - no cheating (1 Days) Extensions: 0

l. Do paper patrol of hot spots (15 min) (1 Days) Extensions: 0

m. Check what's to eat for the day including dinner (1 Days) Extensions: 0

n. Check notes for something missing or attitude adjustment (1 Days) Extensions: 0

o. Do a 2 min hot spot check (1 Days) Extensions: 0

p. Do a 5 minute room rescue (1 Days) Extensions: 0

q. Declutter using 27-Fling Boogie (1 Days) Extensions: 0

r. Check kitty litter area and take trash outside (1 Days) Extensions: 0

s. Put feet up (National Geographic) (1 Days) Extensions: 0

t. Set up 15 min to work on our Inspirational page (1 Days) Extensions: 0

u. Decide if its time for one of Kelly's zone missions (1 Days) Extensions: 0

v. Check holiday control journal (17 Days) Extensions: 0

Add New Step for this Goal


Commit today to establishing personal and professional goals

Deadline: 12/31/2006 (15 Days) Reminder: 12/17/2006 (1 Days) Deadline Extensions: 1
Add New Step for this Goal



I would like to stop procrastinating - Schedule gym and GO!

Deadline: 12/31/2006 (15 Days) Reminder: None Deadline Extensions: 0
Ask if the morning routines have been started (15 Days) Extensions: 0

Set a schedule time for the gym for today (15 Days) Extensions: 0

Add New Step for this Goal



Complete reading the e-book by Graci, "The Motivated Mind."

Deadline: 1/2/2007 (17 Days) Reminder: 12/12/2006 (-4 Days) Deadline Extensions: 0
Read Chapter 1 on Understand (-5 Days) Extensions: 1

Note Chapter 1 in personal mind (condensed version) (-5 Days) Extensions: 1

Analyze thoughts from chapter 1 in Ayn's Multiple Blog (-4 Days) Extensions: 1

Add New Step for this Goal



Screen list for goals, then make list of competing projects

Deadline: 12/31/2007 (1 Years) Reminder: None Deadline Extensions: 2
Check my personal brain for intuitive additions/changes (goals/blogs) (15 Days) Extensions: 0
Start a blog entry and review progress made on goals and week review (1 Years) Extensions: 0
Add New Step for this Goal



Establishing goals to accomplish thoughts by working on Gramma's history project

Deadline: 12/31/2007 (1 Years) Reminder: None Deadline Extensions: 0
Ask Gramma if she is up to it (46 Days) Extensions: 0

Add New Step for this Goal



Increase commitment to education by maintaining focus on education & learning

Deadline: 12/31/2016 (10 Years) Reminder: 12/30/2006 (14 Days) Deadline Extensions: 0
Assure we have the money to back our committment. (-6 Days) Extensions: 0

Decide not to spend a penny of the available $27.83 (4 Days) Extensions: 0



Ok, a little unusual, but I’m going to post this first part of the blog early … it’s about quarter to noon, so I can see how she turns out. But, we’ll be right back. We’re going to continue our computer work. Maybe even go down that list from the morning routines. That actually be a good idea.