Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Friday, February 24, 2006

Ok, this is reality ... reality isn't bad

(Image from Gabreael thanks!!)

Good morning. Just us. I think it is going to be a long day today, because we’ve been up so early. Just to avoid the scolderers’ in you … we’ll not mention our time of getting up. Seems like the big deal part of your comments is in addressing our jean skirt. *Gigglin* this may be because it’s all we’ve talked about in the last two days. I think our image of the reviews are mixed. There were good comments from it, but not nearly as Earth shattering or moving. The preponderance were you look much more modern. That was kinda neat, but still scary. We usually dress drably not to catch attention … kind of like fitting in with the wallboard … plants being much too exciting.

The funniest set of comments came from my fellow peer, the other Q. She stopped me in the hall to suggest accusatorily, “you’ve got some new dresses.” “Uh huh” “Well now I can see where you lost weight” “Uh huh, thanks.” “So how much do you weigh now?” “AHA … you go first, how much do YOU weigh?” “Well, hmmm, hmmm, hmmm 251” “Ahh then you are exactly 20 pounds lighter than us!” “You weigh 271? Ack that’s too close. I wanted to be the skinny Q. Didn’t you weigh more? You look a lot heavier.” “Uh huh. I started at 312.” “Well, I haven’t really been trying hard the last 5 months. But, I am going to work on it now! I am going to get serious” “Seems like you have been serious? I heard you've lost like over a hundred pounds since the surgery.” “Well, yes … I lost 120 pounds. I started 370’s” “See, you are doing great!” “Uh huh. I am going to beat you.” “Hmmm, maybe, maybe not. Is this a competition? Umm, so and so weighs 260 and the other so and so weighs 237.” “Really?” *Giggling … so you all get head starts ... good luck!"

Funny, this all make me feel good … I don’t mind starting from a disadvantaged point … that and holding the knowledge that the other Q is 3 inches shorter and has set her goal only to be 180 … We are 5’6” and going for 140. So, I figure we got a little edge. Sr. is not out of this either. Her weight is very consistent … she’s at 165. Yesterday, she came out of the Sr.’s hallway leading from the kitchen eating a handful of marshmallows. She said something about her dieting. I just asked, “So, those are diet marshmallows?” “It’s just 120 calories.” “Uh huh.” *Giggle* I figured we better keep this on an all around knowledge basis, so I sent her the previous paragraph. I’m not saying everyone should weigh more or less than 140, but Sister is like another 3-4 inches shorter too.

Hmm, we better establish healthy weights for the Center’s fitness program. Hehehe







Ok, we’re all set here hopefully you are seeing the charts … Although, this scale could be different from others. Next step … we’re going to need taking Dr. M.’s advise and do the measurements according to BMI. At 5’6 and 271 pounds my BMI is 43.7. I’m definitely in the 30.0 and Above obese category. Go ahead and check yourself out here. This is a link to Depart of Health and Human Services.

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/calc-bmi.htm

Hehehe I checked out 5’6” at 140 … it came out at 22.6, which is about half way in the middle of normal (18.5 – 24.9). Gotta be a good goal.  Damm … gotta go downstairs and outside for smokes. Nasty habit. AHHH good exercise though! BRB!

Ok, ok … dealing with reality this morning.  This next chart says that I’m morbidly obese, but at least not super obese. Using another calculator we looked for the dead center medical point of ideal weight for women my age and height. It says 137.5 … so that is my new goal  Hmm, this is still pretty bad isn’t it. One calculator said that 98% of the females in my height and age category weigh less than this. Oh man … this is encouraging … just checked … my BMI when I started was 50.4. I WAS in the super obese. Man … damm scary! Ok … we can do this.

Adults

anorexia women/men < 17.5
underweight women <19.1 men <20.7
in normal range ideal weight women 19.1-25.8 men 20.7-26.4
marginally overweight women 25.8-27.3 men 26.4-27.8
overweight women 27.3-32.3 men 27.8-31.1
very overweight or obese women >32.3 men >31.1
severely obese women/men 35 - 40
morbidly obese women/men 40 - 50
super obese women/men 50 - 60 kg/m2


Yesterday … we had thinking group early … Wait a sec … ok, it says that our friend is directly in the middle of severely obese not morbid like us … MAN does that sound horrible! Ok, ok running short of time here. But, we did get about half the clients weights and heights yesterday … I think I am going to get staff’s and the balance of the clients and put us all on a chart … I’m going to fight that staff go on the same chart as clients so the clients can encourage too. That was the first thing they insisted on yesterday when we were finished weighing. “HOW MUCH DO YOU WEIGH MS ANN???!!!” Ok, ok we’re brave. I am also going to list on the chart the exact medically perfect weights. PSHWOO this is hard!