Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

How'd did I get to be this gosh darn smart!??


HA V! We'll show you efficient! We're starting EARLY this time!

Good morning! This is just me … I figure it’s been a couple of days, we better put something down, or people will forget who I am! This is of course for those of you that made it through the last umm “short” entry. BTW – we thought the fishies were kind of cool too. 

Not sure where to go here this morning. I know at least one of my kitties really love me, because he let me do one of those pets where he twists his head every which way to get in on the action. This is why we get up at such early hours. Because the kitties say, “pet me, pet me.” They figure if I enjoy myself I will tip them a little extra in the food department. Sure wish someone would pet me at 2:37 in the morning *sigh*

Ok, ok … so where are we going to go here. I guess I should make a little confession. Someone stopped by BK last night and had not one, but two chicken sandwiches, and if that weren’t bad enough … they topped it with a piece of cheesecake. Our simple mathematical formula for this was of course, but it was all only $4.15! I’m pretty sure this is against all dieting rules. I’d slap my hand, but we are trying to run a non-violent program over here. What makes it especially dangerous is that a couple of times in doing the wrong food thing, we get on the scale like this morning and it FINALLY shows we lost a pound. We’re at 271 again. I figure there are some of you who aren’t going to believe this logic, but who’s to say …

I’m not sure what had happened we were fine when we left work, but in the two blocks from there to BK, we fell apart. I think part of it had to do with there being $6 burning a hole in my pocket. I told our friend not to trust us with this much extra money! AHA It’s HIS fault. Well. I feel much better now. 

Yesterday was the first Monday we went into work without stopping at Dr. M.’s. It was noted, but we didn’t cry. We assumed the attitude that we were going bravely to work on a Monday morning like the rest of the world and we were going to jump right in and get some stuff accomplished! Woo Hooo!

Unfortunately, I figured out why people shouldn’t do this. There is a lot of work to do on Mondays! ESPECIALLY, if you are in the people business. I think people fall apart over the weekend realizing life isn’t going their way, and they take it out on the people at the work place. The last thing anyone wants to do is be in a good mood on Mondays. It seems to draw the attention of everyone who ISN’T in a good mood. We’re going to tape a new sign to our door (which for the record will be shut) saying “FIX ME! 25 cents” I figure someone ought to profit here and it might as well be me. Can’t tell you how much fixing we were doing.

First thing of the day I noted was that something is wrong with Sr. Tess. I don’t usually ask her how she is doing, because that in her book it is like lollygagging. But, she looked terrible. She responded uncharacteristically that she’d had a hard weekend with little sleep. She looked like she had been crying and was emotionally depleted. Other staff we’re independently picking up the same vibes … that something was wrong, but she wouldn’t let on what she’d gone through. I do know there were several private calls taken back in the convent. So, we can be pretty sure that it is Sister Business. I am trying not to let my imagination go to that she’s been relieved or the Center is closing or something. It is not like Sister to fall apart if someone else is sick. She will ask a few questions and then things are back to normal. Maybe she’ll offer a prayer. I’m afraid this is something to do with her. I guess I’ll have to be patient. Sister doesn’t usually hold too much back. The reassuring thing was that she’d continued as normal as far as getting bids in for the windows. Several people were through. She asked to cover the full lunch which was fine, but as I seen her lead the guys past, she didn’t seem to have her regular vim and vigor. Ok, ok … we’re going to try not worrying too much.

I tried to do a little stuff on my own when I got back to the office. I wanted to get my school work printed out so I could use it more easily as a resource in writing the final paper. But, by then people started bringing me their problems. I have this characteristically bad idea that my work consists of the papers left to be progressed on my desk and not the number of people that stop by. This can get in the way with reality. ESPECIALLY, since every new person contact requires MORE paperwork! There were a couple of key problems that were longer standing problems … this is besides things like “I can’t make the computer do what I want it to do,” “Somebody is making fun of me,” and the old time favorite, “Did you see if the garbage man came, you’ll call me if he comes, right, right, right?”

The first problem has to do with my client that does so much crying. We’ve become a little upset because her DSP is doing so little with her. Both times we brought the client into the office, talked to her (She’s on an age level of 2.5-3.0 years) and spent some time doing little tasks with her. She seemed to brighten up. At some point, she stopped crying long enough to ask for a bandage. This is a long-standing repetitive thing and Sr. has made a policy that we can’t give her them. We are not a cruel agency, but it’s against Sr.’s policies to hand out one or two dozen bandages a day when there aren’t any cuts, bumps, or bruises. I think it’s a budget issue hehehe. But this client was sitting in my office wanting a bandage and I was saying, “No, you have one!” So she took off the bandage she was wearing on her jaw to show me her bandage, or maybe she was thinking she’d trade up, I’m not sure. Then, unfortunately as these things go, when she tried to put it back, it wouldn’t stick. I thought oh Lordy this is going to be a problem.

Then I thought for some reason to ask her if she had an “Owie.” She said yes. I thought yoohooo we’re getting somewhere … this person only speaks a few words at a time and she definitely knows yes and no. So then I asked, “Do you hurt?” I was trying to check out her vocabulary limits. Again she said yes. And then I said, “Can you show me where it hurts? And she said, “Right here,” while massaging her forehead. Man oh man … I thought I was going to cry. Here’s my terribly regressed client trying to explain to the world her head hurts by asking for a simple bandage. And, we cannot give her one due to Sr.’s policies and procedures. I felt pretty miserable. But, as luck would smile down upon me, she seemed to be doing better with the acknowledgement and validation of her pain. I’d scrunched up my eyebrows and said the appropriate oohhs and awes. I think if it had been allowed I would have given her a kiss on top her head. She started smiling again and looking around the room for something she could have. It’s a familiar game we play when she is in the office. It happens with a lot of clients.

She decided she was in such a good mood that we’d play some cards. She remembered the laminated cards I’d shown her … the one’s to give DSP’s everyday because of the dieting reminders. So I gave her the cards, she handed them to me one at a time, and after we’d gotten done with the 36 cards, then it was my turn to hand them back to her. She busted me though because I’d forgotten that you have to say the word, “See” when you hand the other person the cards. Shoot *giggle* Before the game was over I reminded her we’d have to go back to the room when it was done. She complied after snatching one of my medium-sized books with a spiral. I thought fine, it’s early in the day, I’ll retrieve that later. I figure it’s sort of like a token, where I have to pay THEM for visiting me.

I thought, ok … we’re all good here back to that nasty paperwork.

But then about 75 minutes later, I got a call from the DSP that she was moving her whole group out of the room and leaving my client behind because they all couldn’t tolerate the crying that had begun again. I thought Damm DSP! Better go in and retrieve the poor girl THE CLIENT!!! You’d think she could at least work with the client. I had already stopped by with Sister and let her know what was going on. I was pretty sure that I would leave another note after the next visit because I think its bordering on client neglect to just leave a client in a room, because you cannot tolerate her noises. But, as we mentioned Sr. wasn’t being up to snuff.

As soon as the client recognized me and I held out my hand, she gathered her things and followed me out the door. By the time she had gotten to the door, she had stopped crying. If there is one thing I know for sure, there are TWO reasons why people act out. They are either avoiding something or they want attention. I think at this time the client was telling me her DSP was pretty inefficient (avoiding her) and wanting our attention, because she wasn’t getting it elsewhere. After the client sat down again, she said the word, “Puzzle.” I knew she liked simple puzzles and had started to think maybe she had been bored in the other room, because the DSP leaves her in a corner of the room with nothing to do. Again, this is an issue passed up to Sr. The DSP says she wants to sit by herself. I say, and then maybe she is telling you she feels lonely. BRING HER BACK to the GROUP! Alas, my job is responsibility not authority. Can’t make the DSPs do anything.

So anyway, I find a piece of paper with a picture and I ask the client to cut it out (cut off the white boarders). She is happy to do so. Then I cut a few jagged edges and make a 4-pcs. Puzzle. She liked that. But, even more so the cutting. So, I looked around my desk and found the information I’d pulled for the fitness stuff because on the pages the pictures were in like little squares. I gave the client about 20 pages to cut out figuring I could pull the other from the Internet again later. Again by the time she is almost done I am giving her the notice, ok, but we’re going to need going back when you’re finished. She understands this and is good with it. By now she is a happy camper. All the time, I keep watching her so when she looks up I can give her regular smiles of reassurance, and as the norm, I keep calming music in the background, today soft Spanish music. She is able to smile back.

This time though when I bring her back, I brought her to group, but the group one down in ability than the one she was at. Sr. had said earlier in the week maybe we could get her accustomed to another room where the staff was a little more receptive to people problems. The client did fine with the change and accepted the roll of paper I’d brought her and color pencils. The new staff was a little intimidated, because by this time the other DSP was claiming well sure if you give the client one-on-one attention, but that she hadn’t the time. I emphasized to the new staff, ALL our clients need attention, some more so than others. If she balanced just SOME time for the client it would work out. The client isn’t the type to take ALL the time.

About lunch time, we brought the client back in with her own group and she seemed much better and was fine the rest of the day. I had also talked with the Sister of the client. Today they are having an appointment with the psychologist and next week there is an appointment with the neurologist. So, hopefully SOMEthing will come of all this. Pretty ticked off with the DSP though. This is the same one that ignored my other “problem” client until in that situation too, Sr. pulled him out of the room. Hmpf! I’m a firm believer that if a DSP spends a little time helping out one of the clients, the others will benefit, because they are learning how the staff resolves issues and that makes them feel safer, because they learn if they have issues someone will help them too. This is going to need being a point at the next staff training.

The last problem that I had beside many people stopping by to have things fixed was with another DSP and a half. They are both covering the 2nd group until Sr. can find a replacement. They had gotten together to complain about one of THEIR clients until they had escalated the problem and were shouting there is nothing to be done, I’ve tried everything. We get pretty honoree about this kind of thinking. But, on the outside we’re pretty reserved. Though in this case, I looked at her and I asked, “You tried everything?” The DSP said emphatically, “YES!” I then asked, “Did you consider calling me?” The DSP sputters, well you were helping another client. I said, was this an emergency, or could you have told me after the other client was cared for. Well, well …

Right!

The DSP said, well she isn’t doing anything and she was disrespectful to me. How? She would’t do like I told her! Fine, let’s deal with that … I walked over to the clients table. (Clients were all gone for the day). Here she was … now tell me what did you ask her to do? Well, I told her to get her coat. And, what did the client do? She went over to another client and started pestering him. So, then what did you do? Do you think the client understood you? I think she understood but was defying me. So, then what did you do? Etc. Etc.

Then it was like, ok let’s do this over again. Where are you when telling the client that she has to get her coat? What did you expect her to do. What has the client expected to be able to do this whole entire other year when another staff was in charge of the room. Do you expect all the clients to “Obey” you because you are the “teacher?” When you threatened the client with calling Sr. Tess do you think you gained more authority??? I restaged every problem the DSP had been stating all the time the DSP was saying, but, but… every time I gave her another solution, she would come up with three more problems. I knew certainly by this time, that no matter what I told the DSP as an advocate for the client, she was going to complain how unfair life was to her. And, that is the crux of the matter. I’m a firm believer that although the clients certainly have problems, especially adjusting to change, the staff should not dump their problems or inadequacies on the clients. Like leave your bad day or attitude at home. BUT, on the outside we were more calm. I said, look … I am going to stop giving you solutions, because you are not listening. (Hmm, I pulled a V here! Hehehe). I’m going to walk away until you are ready to listen. Then I will be back and we can work on more problems, because at this point, you are no different then the client. You are being defiant just to be defiant. I’m telling you something and it is going in one ear and out the next! But, But … uh huh ya…

Later, she came in and apologized, while trying to start up things again. I told her simply that she was going to need prioritizing her time. I could work with her to get through the problems the client was having, or we could spend the time dealing with her (DSPs) emotional state when she gets frustrated. She laughed. I think she got the point. SHEEESH!

It was a long day like this … The bottom line was that I got done with two small reports in a long 9 hour day that should have taken 20 minutes each. AND, so this all goes back to Dr. M. Maybe if I had been at his office, I could have missed this! AHA! Again, it wasn’t my problem *silly grin*

We did get a chance to update the journal. We’re feeling a little dismayed. Each journal is 48 pages long. Since November, we’ve filled up 2 journals and there are so many things not getting done, I’m not sure how to handle this. I think some way or another it is going to need getting reframed. I think I heard something in business about taking care of the 20% of the business that really needs getting done and letting go of the other. About now the best I can do when I get busted for not having something done is to say, but I have it right here on my list of things to do! *Giggle* I’m pretty sure God invented lists. He started, “On the first day …” HA! He didn’t get everything done either!

Ahh, V. is up!!! Now, there is a man who can get stuff done! He keeps up with his paperwork AND bills EVERY day! Yep, yep my hero for the day. Yesterday, it was Tom because he just sometimes tickles me to pieces! Just for clarification You to can be my hero for the day … but, you gotta say nice things to me 

I still haven’t been able to get out for the visiting and now I’m over a week due. I’m really sorry about this. Probably all kinds of good crises happening without me! Hmpf!

That about covers work though. I think my friend is having a hard time too. He said he’d be at the center yesterday, but didn’t make it. That’s a pretty good bet for Mondays, because he is in the people business too where everyone hits him with problems first thing and it lasts through the day. Problem with my friend is that he’ll shake his head and scratch it thinking a little down on himself, because he had PLANNED to get a lot of good stuff done and it usually doesn’t work out that way. Thinking that this probably happens all around the world, so there are sheep talking in Mongolia about the shepherd who’s complaining he didn’t get laid over the weekend.

Umm, I didn’t just say that …

Let’s see school, friend, work, Dr. M. (Dog house), boys … nothing there …You all turning into my alter psychiatrists!

SCHOOL!!! Haven’t talked about that yet. We got a new thing with V. Well, actually it’s a kind of old thing with V. I am going to try listening to him when he says, be more efficient. He doesn’t say exactly that, but he says I definitely spend more time on school than I should be. This is probably true with 9/10’s of the things I do. He says it wastes energy. Which, incidently, may be the reason why nothing SEEMS to be getting done. V. thinks I should go in … do the paper … and get out! I know he’s right. BUT, here is where WE seem most defiant.

Hmm. Maybe I better just skip the next part and go directly to work. I should be reading the next chapter for the next paper due. Well, just a couple more things toward school? See this is where we get into the concepts of framing. My writing helps frame my experiences, so I can go from one thing to another. We’ve put things back in order like a good cook after preparing a fine meal.

We finished two papers on Sunday morning before 8 am, because we got up early and got down to business. We really earned a lot of V. Points there! It took a couple of more hours of fooling around then because we had to decompress. After that, we started back up with the paper. We’ve been framing that in too. You’ve all seen the outline. We understand now how to do the first couple of sections out of the three. We still have a couple more items to look up … I’m not as advanced in old age, disabilities, homosexuality, religion, or economics, but I know that is the work of the next couple of weeks. There is no reason I can’t go back and do the other stuff first.

Yesterday, on the drive to work, we were thinking in an abstract way (while looking at the car in front of us) Shoot V.’s taking a shower … he never invites me! Hmpf!

That’s enough abstract!

Well, it’s just you see … I want the paper to be a collection of what we’ve experienced in the course so far. And, then to analyze and then synthesize and conclude. The problem part of it is that I have trouble remembering one point from the last. I have this whole thing down inside me somewhere, but again … I don’t have the ability to recall. That is why we have to trust so much the paperwork process. I want the paper to sum up everything we’ve learned, but I want it to do more. Here’s where we find V. sitting again on our right shoulder. Just do what you have to do and skip the rest! He hates it when we say, but, but, but…

Ok, somehow to appease school Gods, we have to be succinct in getting done what has to be done. Succinct, yah right, that’s like my middle name. *glum* So, we need to realize there is 75 more minutes left of the morning and we are going to be doing something toward school. We’ve two avenues. We either work with the small paper due this week or the big paper due … hmm? When exactly is it due, and exactly how many pages? We’ve been thinking its 30. Better let me check that out.

Pshwoo … tired out! Just ran to school and back … I found out there are 3 more weeks of regular papers … that’s good I thought there was two and time nearly out. So, that be like units 8, 9, & 10, which makes an 11th week to actually do the paper. Shoot forgot … need to run back to school. Hold on. Ok. Back (little sweaty) School says the big paper due on March 26th at 11:59. Anybody got a calendar? No? Whoops wait a minute … we’re going to run over to work, hold on. Ok, back (knees shaking) ok .. great! There are actually 4 weekends left. BAD?? Do not take advantage of this like we don’t have to be doing the work now! Ok, but as far as the game plan goes this is a little better, we were thinking it was like 2 weeks away. Oops, forgot something have to run back to school. Wait a sec … Ok back … (thoroughly exhausted … tongue rolled down to chest). It SAYS the paper can be 24 – 30 pages long! AHA! We had thought it HAD TO BE 30 pages long. Just think all the V points I would get for handing in the shorter paper!

HA! Not efficient … we’ll just see about that Dr. V.! Going to read a bit now … bye!