Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Monday, January 23, 2006

Not so Happy :(

Just me. I know that I’m not supposed to write during the middle of the day, but I’m feeling a little pressure and it is still lunch, so I figured it might be ok.

This morning I talked to Dr. M. The first 40 minutes or so we were going through depression with one of the parts. He says that we’re taking a lot of anger inside from one thing or another and it is affecting our mood. We feel better after talking about some of the concerns. And then, during the last part of the hour, we remembered to ask about the MRI Report that was supposed to be there today.

Dr. M. found the report. This is the summary impression that the physician left:

1. Central disc herniated causing moderate spinal stenosis and right posterolateral disc protrusion causing exiting nerve root impingement at the L4/L5 level.

2. Mild left paracentral disc protrusion at L5/S1 without any evidence for associated mass effect or neural foraminal narrowing.

3. DJD at multiple levels along the lumbar spine.

We knew about the DJD along the lumbar spine … that’s degenerative joint disease, or our osteoarthritis. As to points 2 and 3, mild seems better than moderate, and I think both sound better then if they had said severe. I think pretty much it means I have a herniated disk causing a narrowing in my spinal something and a disk that is sticking it to a nerve that is leaving the spine area. Dr. M. says sciatica is just the label for that nerve is getting pinched. Umm, like ok. Now what?

But, Dr. M. decided to go silent on the issue. Just kept saying I don’t know this isn’t my area of expertise. Likely story! Hmpf!

So, after a bit figured it was time and we had to go back to work. Dr. M. recommended that we call the regular doctor and ask her questions. So, we did. Left a message. Then, of course, being me, I got on the Internet and started figuring stuff out. But, because of memory problems I am not going to be able to convey much knowledge. I was picking it up though.

Fortunately, the Doctor called back earlier than later. She said she had the lab and MRI findings in front of her. She seemed like she was in a rush. I was like trying to slow her down so I could understand, but she was talking pretty fast. She didn’t like the diabetes lab tests that showed me as a 9.4 where 6.0 is supposed to top of the scale. She said that could wait until my next appointment in a couple weeks. She also said I have one of those female problems that need antibiotics. Was fine. But, then as she was rambling off all the other stuff she said, and I am going to schedule you for an appointment with Dr. Slavin the Neurosurgeon. It was then like WHAT!?? What did you say?? She was obviously not happy with slowing down. It seems there is some issues that are affecting other issues. Basically, I think she’s not sure of something I’m having trouble labeling. But, she said it could be that other situation. Then she was saying something like … you can make the time, right?! I want you to go in as soon as possible. ACK!!!! She got the appointment lady on the phone and because she wanted to work with this one specific doctor a compromise was made. We’ll go in a week, next Monday at 4:30 pm.

So, ok … here we are again … we’re pretty sure that now we are on a fast track to our demise.

I read about this earlier when we were looking things up. I think basically, it comes down to the fact we are having trouble … ok, I’m just saying it … CONTINENCE!!! DAMN there goes some of Dr. M’s missing anger! The info from the computer said that if this happens WITH the herniated disk, narrowing whatever … then it is much more important to be seen right away and surgery is likely. I think because whatever is not quite right its affecting a major body process and they really like that not to happen. Dr. Albright said she was going to get a hold of this other doctor in the meantime to see if the appointment couldn’t get moved up.

So, now I am like an excitably depressed basket case.  Ok, come on V. Give it your best … no reason to worry about surgery, until if you have to go through it? Right? No big deal. We don't even know yet. Everything’s just the same as before. Shoot, at least let me say this is an interesting development??? AND, I’M A LITTLE BITTY SCARED! AND, while we're skirmishing ... please, please not the test where they shoot you in the back, I mean spine! That be just damn mean!