Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Just a Little Catch-up


(THANKS DEB for Kitties!!!)
Click on Title for Sound :)

Evening! Just thought I’d add a little something. Don't mean to worry anyone. It’s already 7:40 pm, however I’ve just taken the evening meds. There is a little time.

There are so many thoughts I would like to think, perhaps though we’ll confine ourselves to just things that were important enough to make our one hour with Dr. M. After about 10 days without him, we were very ready. It didn’t take more than a few moments before talking parts were out. Though if I remember correctly, there was a little chatter with the younger parts. They were curious as to where the crying woman had gone and about the older man who had left prior to the start of the appointment.

It turns out the crying woman doesn’t always have an appointment directly before ours, and Dr. M. was interviewing a prospective person. The guy was apparently a clinical psychologist, which of course brought to mind VVVVVVVVVVV! Dr. M. was pretty sure the guy wanted a job , but we could tell Dr. M. was already outweighing experience, over the guy’s likely retirement. Ahh, to be one of the big guys! I don’t know …

Next, we talked about … hmm, well we mentioned school, but said that would save for later. He asked us about the new project, and we went into with full gusto. He saw the beauty of it, but later we went through something that might have been if with anyone beside Dr. M., like a lecture. You all KNOOOOOWWW how we have been feeling about being scolded of late! We don’t want to know what we are doing wrong, we want to know how to do things right!

As a segue way to that conversation, we went into the delight of explaining how wonderful the world had become over the last couple of weeks meeting new people. We described everyone with great detail … including an impressive somebody or ‘nother meeting the President. Makes me feel more important just thunking it! We then went into shorter detail catching him up on everyone he’s used to. We also looked at work issues. The Q-Assistant we’ve been getting on Thursdays, always ranks high here in our books! She’s the only one in my world now trying to help unclog the mess. It’s through her that I realized how far away we’d gotten from a true active participation in our work. We always have kept up with the clients, but not so much their paperwork.

Dr. M.’s almost lecture was on our style of something. You know where we might pick up a project work intensely on it, neglect all else, until one of the previous projects threatens to fall to pieces, which then catches our attention. He was suggesting that we learn to pick things up, put them away, and complete projects in smaller steps rather than all or nothing thinking. So, in a sense, we leap from crises to interests, to finer crises! Damn! Is he good! Hear V. already. “It’s what I’ve been telling you all along!” In the past, we've as parts always worry about getting back to the things WE are working on on our own. We get scared not knowing when we are going to have time to come back if someone else takes over for a while. Whoops here’s bedtime kitty, I won’t be allowed to stay up much longer *silly grin* SEEEEEEEE everyone pushes me around!

At that point, we went back into talking about our work re-organization over the last month. For the most part it is working. This week, I still had the day I took off and the next one where things weren’t getting done, but during the last two days, we’ve buckled under and worked the system. The point is … that we are trying very hard not to forget all the projects in the works or projects that have been in the works. When school was included in the conversation during the back half of the appointment, Dr. M. was thinking out loud that maybe we could bring some of our new order with work experience - home. Which of course then gets us thinking. We went over the pros and cons of keeping a system on paper, or on computer. Theoretically, we have electronic organizers on computer that could be of some use. However, we’ve been much more faithful to the plan by putting it down in writing in a paper ledger journal. I think its because we like jotting down ideas and SOMEbody sure likes them colored stickers! We might have to though get another stamp pad, because it would be no fun without stamping stuff. Hehehe, yes these girls are working on a Masters degree! Hehehe

Oh well …

We talked also about the course that I had dropped today. I have one more chance to drop the second course, but we both felt that completing the course was something I could and should do. So, that plan is going to need some attention. I felt really good in releasing the other course. I talked also to the school advisor. She is going to write a letter to the psychology department on my behalf in complaint of this last non-responsive instructor. She said and I agreed that I would take the cognitive course over again this next semester. She said they don’t assign instructors until 2-3 weeks before the course starts, but she could assure me if I got the same instructor, she could reassign me to another course. In addition, I told her that for this next semester, I would take only the one course. There is no easy way around cognition and time.

We only went into it a smidge, but we are going to talk to Dr. M. again on Monday about taking one or two courses at a time. There are benefits to both. Mainly, what I am finding is that I need time away from work and school, as I am doing now to just write. The unfortunate part would be that my time in school would go from 5 years to 10 years, which would mean it was more a leisurely adventure than for career advancement. I left thinking … this wasn’t something that had to be decided now and needs more discussion. Dr. M. must have been a little cranky, because he seemed to indicate I would like to chose something less stressful for "fun". That was much to much for me to handle. Because, I don’t see any other higher value other than being a student and learning. Just recently though, this doesn’t seem to be sticking so well. I think Dr. M. was indicating though not saying directly that I need a better commitment to my future.

Shoot, too heavy, too heavy. That all will be saved toward Monday. I have through the weekend to figure out what it is that I really want. It seems sometimes, we like being a student more than doing the work, which is a lousy way to go about things. I’ve always dreamed of going into greater and greater detail in trying to understand. To get totally invested. Just we have to deal with not everyone in the system being on the same track. As a professional, this is something that is required of me. Somehow, I feel right now, I’m taking life pretty casually. We’ll have to work on this some more. Until then, I bid you all good night! Go see V's nifty-neato poem ... hey over there is where things are REALLY going on!

Oh yeah ... and just 20 people left for the Exodus Report ... That's about 915 journals looked at ... Think the numbers are substantial. Hmm, I wonder if I could add a spreadsheet to this post ... let me think ... (OK, got it!! - Look for it on the next post!)