Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Monday, August 24, 2009

Sunday is pretty jumbly

Good morning. This is me. We’re starting out a bit slow this morning because we hadn’t been able to clear our mind. Partly too we drifted in and out of sleep for staying up late last night and we’ve been side-glanced into watching some TV. Of all things we got lost in a show from Japan called Ninja Warriors. It’s about an obstacle course. I think I held up with it when looking for a channel for Rich to tape, because Maury had watched it one time he was here and I wanted to catch up with what was going on in this next generation. Then I got into hoping that someone would make it through the course. I wanted to see what success looked like.
Yester as noted in the Facebook entry I had a tough time working though electronics and computer programming. This was my note:

Cap'n Ann Ludford Garvey

I feel distracted and can't pin down next task. We were working all day getting new MS programming to the netbook. It became an all day affair. I had about 88% success. Haven't been able to figure .ISO file for the web application. My mind's a bit fried. I've now got access, excel, outlook, powerpoint, publisher, word, accounting, infopath, onenote, project and visio plus ordered a new camera with Eye-mi. Yeeks!

It doesn’t seem like that much, but it seems like a lot. I have to worry about my minds or intelligence and if we’re up to the tasks. This week we let go of some of the work on Evernote, Jott, Xpencer and T-sheet so that we could concentrate on Outlook. We made some definite progress, but still am stymied in some aspects. We wanted over the weekend to install these programs, and we wanted to coordinate the pieces so that basically our big desk top, netbook, work computer, phone, and iPod all work together. Part of it is being connected with through me.com through Apple. Some of it is just programming through the devises and programs. All of it seems confusing because there is so much to learn and I’m not good at holding pieces together in my memory. I can figure stuff out, but I gotta work through it and sometimes the best of my abilities is not enough for the task.

I am making progress though so part of today is not to take me down for what I’ve accomplished. I’m hoping like anything that with my fooling around with it I’ve not erased the stuff I accomplished at work. I’ve got there things partly set-up to work together as to my piles of things to be done. There are some really big pieces missing in the pie.

One of them was getting these devices and programs to work on my netbook, but then I’ve got a few more things to add to both work computer and home desk top. As to the work laptop … that’s so far behind now it’s out of the question.

I think that we need to do some kind of flowchart to figure out how things connect and what has to be done next and next. Maybe if there way we could document our progress then we’d be able to go back to figure out certain aspects that get us stuck. The only program that we weren’t able to get going yesterday on this netbook was the Microsoft Web Publishing program. It’s part of another plan that had been started long ago. Somewhere, I would have to look, but somewhere I believe we’ve got a domain name waiting for us to put together a web page.

I wish I didn’t have anything else to do so I wasn’t so confused by time constraints. I think that if I have a choice, I like the netbook for ease in typing, the home and work computers for the bigger screens. It’s a process – one thing that also holds things together besides figuring out import and export is that we still have the 8 gig flash drive that helps us connect things.

I had figured out the calendar and contact list – even business list before on the devises so that they could be shared, but now I can’t even figure out where the old calendar that’s appearing on my phone is coming from – and to make matters worse, it is being fed by two outlook calendars, and I can’t find either of them. That was extremely frustrating and still is.

The most success has happened with the Outlook program at work on the desk computer. During the week we got a good portion of our work load put onto it and we’re really pleased with the results. But, I wasn’t able to get this lat portion of our work onto it so it’s not completely reliable. I’d brought home the work hoping to get it loaded on the Outlook here so we could work on it at home – flesh it out a bit more and then trade info back and forth so we could work through things together.

I think we had other goals too. We wanted to finish up some work for a staffing tomorrow morning, get to the gym, spend time with Rich, and do some writing and trimming on quilts. Most of this other stuff didn’t get done.

Well some stuff … like we said there was a lot of putting together with programs that would have taken a bite out of the work week if we’d saved it for doing there.

So that part was good. I’m just slow. We were so close to going to the gym, but when Rich came home and would have been ready for it then we were having a computer meltdown, because at the time our computer was playing a trick on us were it went into stand-by mode every 3 minutes – literally. Fortunately, I had the big computer to back up so I could go online to figure out how to take care of that problem. One thing for sure is that if I’m having a problem with something … chances are that someone else has already had a problem with it too and in some respect someone’s helped them through it.

Fortunately, this was the case yesterday. I had though in the process been so frightened and frustrated that I thought if I left the problem in the middle, I’d never figure out how to get back to the ties I’d accomplished in figuring things out. We almost stopped long enough to go to the gym, but there’s enough reserve from Rich that he’s not pushing us … we’re actually pushing him.

Ok, we got lost here. We had half heard what was going on with the CNN and it made me realize that I’d not gone to Politico to look around for a while. And, then that led to more time. We were cued-in by something called Politico 44 … It is the “living diary of Barack Obama. I can’t sort it out now because we weren’t the parts directly involved though we could say honestly that we were close … and to me directly it is very confusing.

If I could have the wish I wanted for my life, I would be a lot more clear, so that what I was learning or thinking would stay more prominently in my mind so I could do things continuously well and ordered.

That’s the thought that keeps me most perplexed with thoughts of going back to school one day. I have to think through how much can I hold in my mind so that things being learned are beneficial and systematic. I think it’s the major difference between me and someone like Kendra who has accomplished so much. I know … still thinking quite a bit of her. I think everytime I get something in FB mail I hope that she’s sent on some kind of message.

I don’t think that is going to happen, but there’s that inner child part that hopes she says something to us. I think her life is too important now than to a past which didn’t seem to have made her happy. I’m pretty sure she holds a complicated life – not like me who holds a complicated mind.

We’re going to the gym soon I believe. Rich called about 45 minutes ago and I expect him home in the next 15-20 minutes. He said we could do anything we wanted and we suggested that we go to the gym together. He agreed to it easily. I think he might be feeling bad because he said he was only going to fish with Bob 4 hours and he’s now been gone 1 ½ times as long. I haven’t minded because I get to my own thoughts when he’s not here, but just the same I’m glad he’s on his way home. I look forward to being at the pool with him. He excites me so 

Hmm, just watched a short dialogue between Fareed and someone named Malcolm who wrote a book on talent called “Outliers.” Might be interested, but in the end I don’t think Fareed thought so much of him or the interview. I had thought the guy spoke well for himself, but was covering an easy issue … basically, we know that Eastern and Western mindsets are different due to the amount of individualism and community they each hold on average. No doubt we can learn from one another and I guess that’s fine … just it’s a tired point.

There is something though that I hadn’t caught before … this discrepancy between the two explains what St. Rose Center is to be about. On one side we claim to be working on independence and on the other side we say to be community. In general then it would seem we’ve covered all bases or nothing, because we’re canceling each other out. I’m going to need thinking about those points some more.

One other thing the guy basically said was that talent was a matter of working hard. I don’t think its as clean as that and maybe here Fareed agreed, because if it was only a matter of working hard then some that work the hardest, say a migrant worker – would succeed more than someone with more advantages. It has to be a combination of several things, but that’s not on my agenda today to be figuring out. I’m pretty sure there is a trying hard component.

Even the things I try for whether in a relationship with friends and family, school, work, general getting along in life – depends to a good degree on me not giving up … It’s kind of a matter of staying around enough to gather insights learned and pieced in a productive manner.

I think that’s what frustrated Vince about me the most. One he said to just do it rather than to stretch it out and the other he said to do it succinctly. I’m still having those same troubles. I would like to think that some things like my shorter writing is meaning I’m being more succinct, but I don’t believe I’m making up with shorter time that which is more important. I think it’s pretty choppy now.

As I say that though, I’m looking at the clock and thinking that Rich is supposed to be back any moment. I’m thinking I’m going to quickly go put on my gym clothes.

Want to be ready and not discouraged when the opportunity comes up. Oh oh … just heard a car door out front. I’m thinking Bob is dropping him off. Better go … see you later.

Well we’re pretty much at the end of our day. We did some stuff, but it’s now 9 pm and Rich is indicating that we should be going to bed.