Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Oh man oh man ... Obama TIME!!!

Hello, hello this is me. What do you think ... I'm thinking I'm pretty much a big shot now. It's about 7:00 pm on Saturday night and we have to wait until 8:40 pm to catch our train home to Brookfield. Woohoo... and do you know what? I think I got an Internet connection. Oh man ... this is sweet. Maybe I can right a quick note to Mr. Lovedove. Hold on. Ok, maybe that isn't working real well. Ehh ... well we're not going there. It says that It's on ... we're at a public address, but the Internet is not connecting. Probably me not knowing what to do. I wasn't able to connect at 233 N. Michigan either. Eh not important ... I really did ok without it, but the word processor is worth everything right now. The battery says that it will last a couple hours now. Plenty of time

I'm going to close up and go to the actual train about 8:15 ... so I've got about an hour. I love being in Union Station again. It's like I never stopped going here, but it was already 11 years ago since we hung out here. The same bar and seating area ... whoops that wasn't Rich approved. Let's forget that I mentioned bar ok. And, beside it's only 1 small Amaretto stone sour. That can't really add up in the big book, can it? I will hold off on drinking except my water while we are talking here. Now on the otherhand if I find out that Smoothies Counter is really open, we might leave a little early and pick up some sweets.

Can I say without too much delay ... today has been absolutely perfect. I'm so glad though that Rich said to get the cab. It turned out to be $7-8. The guy in the last cab wrecked it for me. There was a charge of 5.50 and he said it was 7.50. I didn't go for that at all. I figured he'd already taken out his tip and I wasn't going to give him another. I started thinking I could do the cab for $2, but I didn't stand in the right place, and then I started walking down the street that the bus was supposed to travel, but I never found the right stop. There was a couple taxi stops so I did that. It worked ... didn't have to wait too long. AND, we never got lost. That was really something.

We will go back to the train, but as to the location we were headed it was something. 233 is a very tall building. I've got some pictures to prove it ... I'd show you, but I can't get to my email and I think I've displayed enough flashy things for people to steal from me. It doesn't feel like that actually though. I'm in a nice safe area where there are a lot of other people ready to head back to the suburbs. Most probably along on my line. Brookfield only takes 25-30 minutes to get to. Not a bad deal at all.

Anyway back to the building. It was really something. I had to go up two very long escalators just to get to the information desk. I was a little confused with layout of the building, but the person at the guard desk pointed out the way to the elevators. Our set only went from floor 12 - 24. So, I guess I couldn't check out Barack's 11th floor. It was ok. The phone banks were on the 19th floor. The part we were at after getting off the elevators was shaped in an H with the elevators in the middle. We passed some regular offices where things were layed out nice behind fancy glass doors.

The phone bank though was all white and lit up. Well actually most of the lights came from the big windows that were glorious. Wait til you see the pictures. One side overlooked Millenium Park, and the other side - you could see Lake Michigan. I would have died to live down there ... well if parking wasn't so bad. But, one of the ladies I was working with lived in the building next door. She had a good life to be at that building she said she was on the 34th floor. Like ZO"OM!

When I got there this morning it was about 9 am. The guy that finally came in after me ... well not too long was the guy that normally works there. He said there was another girl that was sick who usually opened and so they were waiting for the building to open. That was ok, because along came a couple of women and we all were in the hall talking. There was a loose chair sitting in the work elevator so I brought that out in the hall and sat there in the light. Eh, it worked.

I ended up sitting with these women for the morning. They were real nice. Both were good and were as good at working as I was. Pretty much after everything was explained it wasn't too hard. They give you a list with 35 typed names on the one side and 35 names on the back. It had standard stuff like name, phone address, etc, and in the left hand margin, we were to mark a brief note on the call. Most of the messages I wrote LM for left message. There were a lot of calls placed there. I went through about 300 calls for the day. What happened when there was somebody that could volunteer we would put them on a new list along with their email. That list was people that someone else at the local office would take care of.

The lists were formulated all over the states. I called anywhere form Pennsylvania and Georga, to Alabama and Hawaii. Yup yup ... was calling HAWAII!!! AND, I got 4 people to volunteer to travel from Hawaii to the mainland ... Nevada actually. That was pretty something I felt real good about those calls. Two of the guys were so cool. We were supposed to ask them which days they would prefer in the 17 days left to the election. They were like ... we'll leave that to you, just sign us up! I couldn't believe my good luck ... probably after 300 calls, I signed up almost 10%. I felt really good about that. I never got down if I wasn't getting calls. The idea was to get to the bottom of the sheets. That being done ... well that's the work that we were to do. Just go from the top to the bottom of the sheet, turn it over, and then turn it in.

There were more people who i met than the first few. They left at lunch and then we had about 2-3 sets of people in the middle and the woman who was from the other building across the street and I left within about 5-10 minutes of each other. I saw almost the entire day through. There were only 3-4 people left when I was ready to leave. During the day there was probably about 60 people. Maybe more. There were a lot of tables, but because I was in the first group, and the first to claim a chair, I took the very best one. it was about 2 feet from one window and another 2 feet toward the second L shaped window. We might just say we had the corner suite. It was great!!! All day I looked over the shoulder of the girl in front of me to the long high buildings, and street winding all the way to the lake where I could see sailboats.

I wish I could stay there for ever. We really got good work done. I felt proud of myself. There was a nice guy who was there most of the time as our supervisor. He was just a kid and he had help throughout the day, and then someone replaced him later in the day. They were all nice ... probably thinking all these people are working here for free. We were there to help them get a job done and the job was being done for Barack Obama my superstar hehehe or maybe we could say by SuperMAN!!!

The calls were of all kinds. The people on the list had already signed something saying they would volunteer, so even when you got one who would say no, they were usually real nice people to talk to. I only had one hang up and it was the 2nd call I made. I didn't let it get me down. Right now my mind is a blur as to what we all talked about. I know noone likes Palin hehehe. Everyone is just blown away with Obama.

Some had stories to tell about where they were with their political interests. Those were the best calls. Like we said most of the calls were to people who had messages left on their machine. I understood that when we called their message thing would read Obama Chicago Headquarters, so most probably knew they didn't want to pick up. That's ok, that's what we were there for was to save someone a whole hill of beans.

Around 12:30 I was getting kind of hungry, so I noticed there was a bag of tortilla chips and salsa for grabs, so I had a small plate of that that kept me going for a while, but then I noticed that others had brought real lunches. You know soup from home or a sandwich, or an orange or pop and/or coffee. Some people had bags from regular lunch places, so I figured I had to go to the bathroom anyway, might as well check that out. So, I left most my stuff there. Figured it was actually pretty trustworthy and I set out. I had to ask the combination for the bathroom. That was neat in itself.

Hmm, that's interesting. There is a guy just in back of the german family in front of me. He's opened up the garbage and he's eating garbage out of the food containrors. He's got a whole bundle now so I think he's going away. It was pretty ugly it seemed like an animal. He was sitting there right infront of the garbage with the lid lifted and after he pawed through something and found food, he'd use that persons fork and he just shoveled it down.

Well let's just say that it isn't a perfect venture. He was just a young kid maybe 17-18 years old - white kid too with long shaggy here and a grayed out coat that was filthy. Ok, let's get rid of that thought, especially because I was going to tell you of my mini-adventure.

Anyway after the washroom, I went down one row of escalators. That's where I noticed the food places and stores. Most of them were closed - most of them then opened on the weekdays. The first one we saw was a McDonald's but we weren't crazy about that idea, so we just ordered a medium milkshake ... the service was lousy and the lady spent more and more time trying to clean out the tubing. She was using a dirty old rag and my stomach didn't feel too happy. They her manager came over and took even more time. So I told the lady I wanted my money back. She's tried to get me to move over, but I wasn't budging. If she wanted to ignore me so be it. I was really glad though to get my money and leave.

I was lucky in that I found a sandwich place AND they made homemade milkshakes. WOOHOO... I just had a regular, and a sandwich. It was a 6" cut in half. I had a chicken salad. It had tomato, lettuce and onion too on a toasted roll. It was fine. I ate only 1/3 of it and then put it away ... I also picked up a small bag of sour cream and onion chips, but I didn't have those until later. We ate back upstairs at the table as I'd seen the others doing. The chocolate shake was great! I will go back there tomorrow if its opened. Might be!

I'm not sure all of where the money has gone. I had a $20 in the car - half of which went to pay the medicine. I don't remember if I left the balance in the car or in my pocket. I don't want to reach in there to check ... HMPF. We did it anyway. We've got $20 left. Other than the $20, we had $60. Hmm, that's not too good. Oh wait, I left money at least a $20 in the computer bag. I figured I better do that in case we were separated. You know ... divide it up.

Oh yeah. I got music! hehehe had been listening to the bar sounds from in back of me. Oh shoot. I just looked over and they pulled down the window from the smoothy shack. I guess the water is going to have to do. Oh cool It was one of those Union Station Police officers. He was on one of those mini-scooters where you stand up and they just zip along. He was looking for vagabonds, I'm sure. I think they really do a good job on cleaning this place up.

Ok, so money ... we spent $5 on a weekend pass for the Metra train, then we spent $7 for the taxi, and about $8 for lunch, and $8 for the ride back, and then $6 for the drink. We had to leave a tip. That makes $34 ... wow that was a bunch ... we better not tell Rich ... well yeah we got to, but why don't you do it, you know what I mean?

Hmm, It's about 20 minutes now until we go home, guess we better refind our train ... we noted that it was on the even side. I have a general idea, but would feel better being on it at this point.

Ok, see you :) :)

Whoops you saw me now and it's not too much later. The screen is holding up. We had no problem finding the train even though its on the even side of the building. We used to ride to the odd side. I don't know how that all works. Maybe because we are coming in from the south side. I guess our train goes all the way to Aurora. That's not so interesting to you ... just another endless detail. Eh, what else are we here for. We've still got 15 more minutes. I'm not sure if I'm going to loose some of my seat. I'm taking up both benches ... I think there is room, but not sure how long I get to keep it.

AHA ... snoopy bear is hot on my tracks. Last time he called we were where? Oh, I know we were at the campaign Headquarters. He was reminding me that it was getting dark and I should be getting on my way. We didn't respond immediately, but we started looking at what it would take to finish up. I knew he was serious, but there wasn't much he could do. Now he's a little happier to know that we're on the train going home. I'll leave him a message when I get upstairs with fudgicle in hand. That will be good for him. He says he's at the hockey game now ... It was kind of noisy in the background. I could see him, he probably got up to go to the bathroom or something. Actually, I'm gladder to have someone to check up on me than not, so I'm not going to even think of complaining. It's a good thing he's there being careful for us, BUT, we are being careful too. Right?

Hmm, some drunken animals ride this train too. Yeeks. But for the most part it's straight up people. I forgot about the nifty chairs up on the second floor. I don't think we're nimble enough for all that yet. Shoot, we lost our extra seat. That's ok, we're doing ok, gives us a better view of all the noisy animals. And, I don't have to worry so much about anyone reading over our shoulder. I'm not giving up my extra seat though ... Couldn't focus. There's not enough room to keep the computer on my lap.

Ok, where else do we want to go. It sure seems like it's been a while since we were in the nice comfy living room. Heheheh we were just looking at the women next to us, they were staring at something, so we looked ahead to the young couple that wanted our extra chair. They were both brushing their teeth. Yup, yup ... thinking that they weren't supposed to be drinking. They both looked like they had mirrors in front of them. Strange and I bet it gets worse! I'm glad I got on board early. Just a few moments and we'll be leaving. Hmm, I can hear the rumbling, or more feel the rumble of the train below us. Hmm, the view is a lot better here. We can see everyone on the other half of the seats. Those women across from us are still being amazed at those in front of me. AHA. All the train lights went off ... I remember that happening before. It's a process of going.

AHA! We're moving!!! I'm so excited. This is so much fun. Drat the lights came back on. I didn't need that the screen is plenty of light, right? We haven't seen a conductor yet. Pretty soon. I got Corrine Bailey Rae on .... I'm having a goo..... oh, did we say that already? Even though I couldn't use my computer, I'm going to bring it anyway - Just in case I can type with it again at the station. That's really perfect from the old days when I couldn't do this.

The kid at the campaign office when I handed in the last Hawaii names was pretty impressed. He asked if we were coming back the next day. He said something about having something more substantial for us, but I was pretty pleased with the work that we were doing. Not too much in a rush to change. I think if I were doing this every day it would be different, but I only have the 4 days to volunteer - tomorrow and next weekend, and then we'd be with Rich the next weekend. This is really working out great. I will ask them though if there is any volunteer help needed after. I know this is just campaign work, but maybe they will have work when Obama is the president, maybe something like polls or something. I did hear a couple volunteers say that they had worked on previous campaigns. I don't think they did anything in between the years. Guess I'm lucky ... I'm here and as far as we know we could make it ongoing.

Ok, we think we're going to worry about closing up soon. My arms are starting to drag typing down so low. Ok, there goes the conductor. He seems drunk, but I'm betting that's the nature of trying to work standing up on the train. He was really quick. He probably has the train only with one other guy that's started from the other end. Hmm, I've only got a little water yet. I filled up once at the HQ. They have a little kitchen off another room, that I didn't like so much. It was more crowded and dark. Those people had computers, but not so much bright light. In back of there place was the kitchen with bottled water that allowed me pouring into our bottle. It seemed like some of them were waiting ... and I'm not sure if they weren't waiting for calls. I meant to give no impression that I was capable of anything spectacular. Just give me a Jane Doe job.

Ok, we're really closing down .. I don't want to miss my stop and the train is bumpy. So ... like tomorrow you know. :)

Woohoo ... it's the next morning ... time to load those pictures. Don't forget to click on them if you want to see the bigger shots. It was a truly gorgeous day!