Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Better get going...

Good morning. This is me. It’s now Monday morning about 5:30 am. We’ve been up for about an hour. Not sure why. We deserve some extra sleep, but possibly we’re still wired on caffeine from last night. As soon as Missy wants to get up again, we’ll start again fresh. Our aim is to finish a couple more papers today, but we’re going to need reading first and that’s going to take some time. We’re leery of sitting down on the couch at this point, because we’re still yawning. If we sit down, we’ll be way out of it. Shoot, I wonder if we have a dentist appointment today … I’m pretty sure we do on the 5th, but I’m not sure if there wasn’t one this week too. Better put in a call early today … if I have one its scheduled about 2 pm. We haven’t been doing much beside studying to be writing anything different. I’m not sure if our friend is going to plan being here today … that might have an effect on how things go.

We glanced at what they call a Degree Completion Plan (DCP) for our MS in Educational Psychology. It lists 11 required courses and two elective courses plus the one lab. So far I’ve completed Foundations of Psychology, Lifespan Development, Multicultural Perspective, Research Writing and the Lab. I am past the half way point of Social Psychology and we’re going to try completing for the third time Cognitive/Affective Psychology. By that time I will be almost half way through.

The courses I have remaining are Psychology of Learning, Teaching Psychology, Tests and Measurements, Inferential Statistics, Qualitative Analysis, Research Methods, and Master’s Integrative Project, which is the capstone. Hehehe when you put it all in one slim paragraph it seems easy, but the whole thing put together is kind of hard! We’re scheduled to be complete in March 2009. So, about two years left to go. We’ve had already several not so good semesters, but theoretically have been working on things since May, 2005, so I’d like to think we’re at almost the halfway point now. I guess I made a 4 year go of it … IF I stay on track now. First thing is to raise the GPA which is sitting at a 2.79 … that puts us on probation … in graduate school you need to carry a 3.0. Hopefully, it will be fixed if I finish the darn Cog/Affective class, cuz right now that’s an achy F on the records BOOO BOOO.

Ok, we’re going to close that little plan … we’re on track again. Need to be handling the work load.

Might mean though that we have to get serious with our work. Anything else left to discuss? Well yes, in general we feel a bit tired, but would like to progress … Be good to get back to that big paper. I felt good about how both papers fell together last night. There was a big push to get them done, because the teacher was going to lock those posts … that means that nobody can do them after the given time. If you want points you gotta do the work. It seems though that if people don’t get done with a project they get a D which is 69 points. That can mess up a person’s points. School is all about getting points – though, we figured each paper/comment is about 2 points. That is the build-up small papers … It doesn’t seem like a lot, but they add up … there are 20 small papers or a value of 40 points towards the grade. So far, we’re working at 100% on our papers and that is pretty good, and we’ve got so far built up on our final paper 5% for the initial concept and 10% for the annotated bibliography and outline. We’ll get 20% for handing in a draft and another 25% for handing in the final version of the paper.

Theoretically, we have three more weeks to do it, because we’re just starting week 8. I just completed week 6 and am starting on week 7. Theoretically the draft is supposed to be handed in on Sunday … I don’t think that is going to happen, but we’ll hold on to that goal. Means I really have to be productive this week though.

I’m happy that I’m already a little more than 1/3 of the way through on the big paper, but there is a lot more processing to go through. We usually can get a little extra time to complete the paper after 10 weeks, IF our regular coursework is caught up. So, it’s important more so now to stay on track. We don’t want to extend the paper too much, because there gets to be less chance of completing it … and a person really does need that couple weeks between courses to adjust to life. Like getting all those dirty dishes and clothes washed up hehehe … well no it’s not that bad, but pretty close.

The big deal will be as always making the best use of available time. Last night gives us some incentive on working during the evenings. We might need to drink more coffee. Hmm, what student hasn’t tried that before … or what is that other drink, Red Bull? Or, the like. I still need time to sleep, but if we were getting a better sleep from the C-pap machine for the sleep apnea we’d be in good shape, right? Ok, so … I’ve gotten reading, and two papers done before in one day, but I better start booking it. AND, the first sign of drowsiness – it’s hit the showers and take morning medicine! Ok? Remember that!

Oh yeah … this is what is up ahead … this is the week’s worth of work we’re going to try pushing into one day (and maybe tomorrow morning). For the record we already have the comments made for this week. Ok let’s step lively …

Introduction

This unit discusses the link between attitudes and behaviors. You may be surprised to find out that attitudes do not always predict behavior. LaPierre (1939) was the first to document that often attitudes and behaviors do not match. Since that time, many researchers (Ajzen & Fishbein, 1977; Ajzen, 1991) have looked at factors that determine whether attitudes will be predictive of behavior. You will critically analyze the many factors that influence the link between attitudes and behaviors.

This unit also focuses on persuasion. As you will see, many factors influence the persuasiveness of communication. One major factor is the difference between central routes versus peripheral route processing (Petty & Caccioppo, 1986). Other factors involve the source, the message, and the audience. In this unit, you must analyze and apply the principles of persuasion to your own professional situation.

References

LaPiere (1939). Attitudes vs. Action. Social Forces, 13, 230–237.

Ajzen, I., & Fishbein, M. (1977). Attitude-behavior relations: A theoretical analysis and review of empirical research. Psychological Bulletin, 84, 888–918.

Ajzen, I. (2001). Nature and operation of attitudes. Annual Review of Psychology, 52, 27–58.

Petty, R. E., & Caccioppo, J. T. (1986). Communication and persuasion: Central and peripheral routes to attitude change. New York: Springer-Verlag.

Objectives

To successfully complete this learning unit, you will be expected to:

1. Demonstrate an understanding of the issues related to attitudes and persuasion. (Goals 1 and 2).

2. Critically analyze research related to attitudes and persuasion. (Goal 2).

3. Apply the principles of attitude change and persuasion. (Goal 3).

Learning Activities

u07s1 Readings

Read Chapter 6, "Attitudes," in your text.

u07s2 Research Article

Locate and read one psychological research journal article related to attitudes or persuasion. Find an article no older than 1990. Incorporate this article into your response for one of the discussions.

u07s3 Project – Draft

You should be working on and getting a substantial start on the first draft of your research paper project, which is due in Unit 8. The draft should include all of the major elements of your intended work, even if some of them require further development.

u07d1 Attitude and Behavior

For this activity, you will discuss an article from the Internet and the text readings from this unit.

Instructions:

1. Incorporate the article you located in study activity u07s2 into your response to this discussion or discussion u07s2, and list the full citation for the article.

2. Remember to cite information from the text readings as appropriate.

3. Consider the following:

o What are the factors that influence the link between attitudes and behavior?
o Provide examples that illustrate the factors you choose.
u07d2 Persuasion

For this activity, you will discuss an article from the Internet and the text readings from this unit.

Instructions:

1. Incorporate the article you located in study activity u07s2 into your response to this discussion or discussion u07s1, and list the full citation for the article.

2. Remember to cite information from the text readings as appropriate.

3. How could you use the principles of persuasion to market yourself?

Reading begins here …

Ok, cat … one of us has to move.

bbb - be back at books

Sweetie Pie!! [6:40 A.M.]: good morning

Aynetal3 [6:40 A.M.]: Sweetie Pie!!!

Aynetal3 [6:41 A.M.]: you hangin in there?

Sweetie Pie!! [6:41 A.M.]: trying to put it together right this second

Aynetal3 [6:41 A.M.]: need a hand?

Aynetal3 [6:41 A.M.]: I'd give you 3 or 4 if I could :)

Sweetie Pie!! [6:42 A.M.]: we will figure it out

Aynetal3 [6:42 A.M.]: anythin complicating things?

Sweetie Pie!! [6:42 A.M.]: sometimes in my confusion I just do the first thing needed to do

Aynetal3 [6:42 A.M.]: smooch me!!!

Sweetie Pie!! [6:43 A.M.]: :-) always

Aynetal3 [6:43 A.M.]: :-*

Sweetie Pie!! [6:43 A.M.]: :-*

Aynetal3 [6:43 A.M.]: Ahh see life is already better!

Sweetie Pie!! [6:43 A.M.]: so what work do you plan today

Aynetal3 [6:43 A.M.]: school

Sweetie Pie!! [6:44 A.M.]: no real work for a Monday

Aynetal3 [6:44 A.M.]: I'm behind ... just made the barely deadline ... We're on week 8, I'm working on week 7, and yesterday finished 2 papers week 6 (just made ultimate deadline)

Sweetie Pie!! [6:45 A.M.]: you need to catch up, part of the big plan.

Aynetal3 [6:45 A.M.]: PLUS draft of final 25 page paper due in addition two smaller papers on sunday

Aynetal3 [6:45 A.M.]: I'm about 1/3 through with it

Sweetie Pie!! [6:45 A.M.]: I see

Aynetal3 [6:45 A.M.]: Got my outline (resources)

Sweetie Pie!! [6:46 A.M.]: always a hard part for me

Aynetal3 [6:46 A.M.]: yes?

Aynetal3 [6:46 A.M.]: We figured out this morning ... because of 3 bad semesters ... we're 2 years from finishing ... done March 09

Sweetie Pie!! [6:47 A.M.]: I see.

Aynetal3 [6:47 A.M.]: We've been schooling theoretically for 2 years now

Sweetie Pie!! [6:47 A.M.]: not bad A

ynetal3 [6:47 A.M.]: It's kinda hard!!*

Sweetie Pie!! [6:48 A.M.]: yes but a hard path chosen.

Aynetal3 [6:48 A.M.]: Yes it is isn't it ... but a good one?

Sweetie Pie!! [6:48 A.M.]: you are right.

Aynetal3 [6:48 A.M.]: All I can think is I want to finish so I can be working on my doctorate

Sweetie Pie!! [6:49 A.M.]: silly goose you are.

Aynetal3 [6:49 A.M.]: :)

Aynetal3 [6:49 A.M.]: have to pass clean clothes 102

Sweetie Pie!! [6:49 A.M.]: a person’s life is several goalsAynetal3 [6:49 A.M.]: smooching #1

Sweetie Pie!! [6:50 A.M.]: any accounting need to be done today

Aynetal3 [6:50 A.M.]: I'm caught up ...

Aynetal3 [6:51 A.M.]: Bank ability is closed ... can't do anything until 4 days check ... and at that it will be minimal. My goal is to not use the second $50 until the next 5 medicines are due .... I just filled up my tank over the weekend

Aynetal3 [6:52 A.M.]: might need $6.25 by Thursday

Aynetal3 [6:52 A.M.]: I have $4 Sweetie Pie!! [6:52 A.M.]: I think we can arrange that.

Aynetal3 [6:52 A.M.]: :) :)

Sweetie Pie!! [6:52 A.M.]: Later today let me know what happens on the first when we get the check.

Aynetal3 [6:53 A.M.]: We need to be hoping we get government money to pay off first car payment due on the 8th and we need to talk to mike about late payment and i have to see if I have a dental appointment today and if you are coming over

Aynetal3 [6:53 A.M.]: k

Sweetie Pie!! [6:55 A.M.]: I have to float my time right now, I don't know where I am at. I will be making the list in a few moments. I have a lot of research to do and follow up. Then the usual mudane stuff. I will let you know later. Thinking tomorrow might be better.

Aynetal3 [6:56 A.M.]: Good ... i could really use today to study ... you know read ... write, read, write ...

Sweetie Pie!! [6:56 A.M.]: sounds like a plan. I should get started myself, have a lot to do before 8

Sweetie Pie!! [6:56 A.M.]: call you later

Aynetal3 [6:57 A.M.]: I just sent you what has to happen next financially - 1 sentence

Aynetal3 [6:57 A.M.]: smoooooooooooooooooooooooochhh

Sweetie Pie!! [6:57 A.M.]: Ok I will check it

Aynetal3 [6:57 A.M.]: don't forget to do call when we're sittin on comfy couch reading! Aynetal3 [6:57 A.M.]: :-*

Sweetie Pie!! [6:57 A.M.]: :-*

Sweetie Pie!! [6:58 A.M.]: O:-)

March 1rst - Deposit 1217, Payoff 1088 Overdraft from car deposit, Deposit 546 expected from taxes, Car 395, Cable 125, Electric 18, Surgeon 52, Gym 23, Audio blog 5, Music 10, Parking 13, Gas 25, Balance 9

OK, Ok … Be back to the Books – 7:12 am

Hmm, taking a little break … It’s been about a half hour … it is now 11 am. My son IM’d to give me some good news. We decided we might as well eat … maybe read from the computer. I think he’s done talking to us, but we’re in limbo. We brought the book over. We’re down to the last 11 pages. Woo Hoo … getting it done! But, we placed a call and found out we do have a dentist appointment today. Hmm I forgot we were going to call our insurance company about another car loan. Hmm, where would that number be. I know on my card!

Hmm, now its an hour later – noon. We’re done with our son conversation and have left a few messages with our friend. And, we talked to a few other people. One call was to find out … yes, we do have a dentist appointment in a couple of hours. It’s close … good idea to be getting all that over with. I sure hope she doesn’t want money this time, because we don’t have it. But, I think we prepaid for the work with the partial. I think this time they have to check the mold and get the color of my teeth right. I’ll have to go with whatever they can get for me, because I hadn’t been able to go in for that extra brightening session due to cost. Just came at a bad time. I hope they’re not too frustrated with us.

The next call was with the insurance people. I gave her a lot of information, but I was declined for life insurance and a car loan. I don’t remember why on the car loan, but I was declined on the life insurance because of my multiplicity and I remember her saying something about I wasn’t declined for my medical conditions. Eh, I didn’t have it to start, I don’t have it to finish … can’t be too upset.

Well, I can, but I don’t want to go there now. Later the argument is going to sound like, “What?! Multiples can’t get life insurance???” I’m going to have to some how learn to save at least $10-20,000 so when I die, the boys don’t have to pay out of pocket to bury me. That would be like leaving a mess on the table. Yeeks! I also have to make sure that they can’t get stuck with school loans.

Ok, that’s done … it’s now 1:33 pm. Time is going fast and in a few moments we’ll have to go to dentist.

Hmm, that time passed to … it’s now 3 pm. Exactly. We’re home from the dentist. It was a 3 minute appointment. She had this metal plate to put inside our mouth roof. I didn’t get a real careful look at it. It was just a flash … it looked scary … it was somehow clipping to my tooth. I don’t know if it will look like that when its finished its like a polished silver. It was sort of cold … and then before I could really get the gist of it … she got her putty gun out and filled the top of my mouth with it … and had me bite down to get an impression. Then after a few moments, she took it out said I was done and that I should come back in two weeks.

I think that is going to be a quick appointment too. She says next time they will have a model with wax teeth in it and if that is good, they send it back for two weeks, and then THAT time will be my last dentist visit for a while. So next week is just my appointment for the c-pap machine and then that. I swear it’s never going to end.

I think we have to catch up with ourselves. A whole lot seemed to be happening in a short amount of time. We’re back to the part about multiples not getting money for life insurance. I had just wanted enough so that I could bury myself. So, then I thought … my dad did it … I’ll just call a funeral home. So, I went to the phone book found one in my town in an area over by the zoo. I thought that would be nice. I told the lady, I’d never made a call like this before, but that I wanted some general information about how things work. She was a nice lady … and whatever her name was it was the same name as was on the name of the home. Let me see “Hitzeman, Sue” They said in the phone book that they’d been there for five generations and they had a nice little picture “sketch” of their place and a respectable 1/4th pane at the top. They also said dignified and family owned and operated. I liked that. They’ve been in the business for 101 years. That’s pretty something … I figure they really know what they’re doing.

Oh oh … something happened there … cuz now it’s the morning after and we only have a few moments left. It’s 6:39 am. Man o man I’m going to forget everything ok, lets make a little list here … we need to finish talking about the funeral place, then we talked to our friend a little bit. And, then we lost time looking at news and then we fell asleep early after figuring out the coffee wasn’t going to keep us awake. And, then we woke up once, but went back to bed and now is now. We lost a few moments cuz of looking at the news. I think that’s pretty much it. Better get this posted cuz its time to ride … Woo HOOO!