Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Monday, May 22, 2006

We've pretty much messed up the weekend, BUT it was still nice.



Good morning. Just me … please forgive me for suggesting you read such a long document yesterday. I got to thinking you’ve already seen the pictures and heard the stories before. Mostly when people share pictures … they’re probably thinking of themselves. Ok, enough said there. I’m pretty sure for myself though, it was therapeutic. I felt it when we did V’s video project last year. When you go through pictures you reminisce and sort of wrap up a bubble of time. It’s all a process like cleaning house. This is my life, this is what were up to this far, now it is time to be moving on.

Today, I have to work ourselves to getting back into school. Ok. At this point we’re only whispering it, but this is the goal, K?

Hmm, already taken off track. I think we’re going to need to watch the clock better. It’s about quarter after 8. We woke up I think about 5 am, had a headache so took medicine early and took nice steamy hot shower. That seemed to do the trick. We’ve been back and forth with V. this morning and had a special treat in talking with T a few minutes. We’re still back going over the pictures. Sarah worked hard yesterday on them. I think she was rather hurt by the comments above. Too much of the nudging that she move along.



Maybe another thread here. Last night we wrote a couple of letters out to Dr. M. and our friend. We sent along the pictures to some of you, and then to the boys. We had the pictures uploaded and were hoping our son would at least show our granddaughter the pictures as a slide show. We’ll see.

And then we called our Grandma. I think she was happy to hear from us, but I called closer to 7, so I knew it was going to be a shorter conversation. She’s doing pretty good. No medical complaints this time, except being tired. I think she is in a good mood, because June 1rst is her birthday. She says she doesn’t have to remember, because everyone is remembering it for her hehehe. My Uncle will be closer at his place in WI, so he and my Aunt will come to visit that day. I’m still worried about someone having enough time to help her get some new clothes. I think she is like me in that its been a couple of years. Bout that time, your ready to go up the wall with the old stuff. My Grandma thinks that it is offensive to put upon others having to see her without something better. I think she thinks what must they think of me. I’ve seen her making similar comparisons. We had a conversation about wearing pajamas all day long. She was pretty sure that was not a good idea. She said you still need to go down to the mail everyday and you never know when you are going to run into people. So, unless she is sick she’s up, dressed, and the bed is made! YAYY Grandma!!

Somehow, we ended up in a conversation about TV and Newspapers. She doesn’t put a lot of stock in the TV either. She says, but she has to read her newspaper every day. I think she reads it cover to cover. She also says that she prefers the radio. I think it has something to do with being closer to her, so she can adjust the sound better. She worries over the neighbors if she were to keep the television on loud enough to hear proper. I think her favorite sections are the hot news stories and sports. She said she also reads the cartoons and the obituaries. Hmm, seems strange when I mix those two in the same sentence. But, that’s the way life goes. I like it having a Grandma that keeps abreast of so much. I have no doubt she could name everyone on the Twins Baseball team, and probably tell you pretty well what she thinks of each of them. I like it when she talks. I love to hear the sound of her voice. I remember yet from childhood her saying, “Well, you know Ann Marie … this is the way I see it.” She does the same thing now … and I absolutely love it. No one could or would ever dare try telling my Grandmother what to think about. My Grandmother is German, and we figure that might have something to do about it. She tickles me in all the right places.

She asked a little more about how we were doing this time. We explained working in the city while living in the suburbs. We know a little better about the way she thinks across cultural domains. We also talked about when she used to volunteer for her kids marching band. She said they used to do rummage sales and she hated them. Hehehe … much the same as to our own thinking. That had lead from a conversation on my Aunt and cousin shopping. I think they do it just for fun. Neither my Grandma or us is very pro on shopping. I think we both have physical problems holding us back as well. She explained how she does laundry with the walker she now has to use. She balances it on the seat and off they go. She says there is laundry on every floor and they don’t have to pay for it. Instead of going back and forth, she brings a puzzle book to work on while there. She says others often do the same and there is some visiting between loads. From the sound of it, I think she does some of the laundry by hand yet. She had some good information on colors and fabrics wearing out. Again, her she has had a lifetime occupation as a seamstress. So, if anyone were to know clothing it would be her.

There are a few old familiar stories about my Grandmothers sewing. Each Christmas she would make all the grandchildren new flannel pajamas and once during a lifetime, you are given a quilt blanket she has made from scratch. It was something to celebrate when you saw the new ones going out. I remember looking at a chair when I was younger, and even after she moved over to the new place. She had blankets of so many different colors stacked up on top of themselves. She has always said it was her Cancer sewing, in that she gave the blankets to that cause. That year my father had died and we had gotten the extra money, one of the things we found was our quilted bed spread homemade from Kentucky. I’ve seen a lot of bed spreads over my time, but there was not an instant of doubt my bed would not be complete without a homemade quilt. This is a couple of small pictures of what ours look like.




If you want someone to feel loved give them a homemade quilt and flannel pajamas. I’m pretty sure about that, oh and feed their tummies! Each and every one of those one inch squares is a separate piece of cloth. Man. The work that goes into these things could never be worthy of the cost they are sold for. It has to be a labor of love. When we got the quilts we have, We received in the one package deal, the blanket for a Queen size bed, a lap blanket, two large pillow shams, a runner for our dresser, AND a teddy bear. All of them were done with the same cloths and designs. AND, they remind us of our Grandmother. Yup, yup a sewer and a cook, that is my Grandma’s life giving.

Hmm. I should probably not be doing this … we’re supposed to be at school. It is now about 9:15. Let’s say an even start at 10.

*SIGH*

Well, maybe another day … We didn’t work over the weekend on what we were sposed to do. We updated the story though to include more of our friends. This was an oversight the first time. We’re Sorry. Deb … I’ve got to go to work now, but we’ll try sending you a d/l in the email to see if that works, k? Hang-in there. We DO want you to see it 

Right now … gotta go…

We've kinda figured out a little more on the camera :)



Oh really last thing ... because we're trying to go work and having a hard time with the transition. We've got the new pictures over on the side-bar under "The Reasons I Love These Pictures." I think what we'll do is update as we go along, so I will make a note after we've made significant changes. Like right now there is significant changes from the last time we posted. Please feel free to visit as often or an inoften hehehe as you would like. I'm going to do this pretty much though, because some day maybe it will be important for our grandchildren to see what was important in our life. So as this blog and the journal at AOL (also in sidebar), this is as much of us as anything could represent. Love you guys to pieces.

Us



CLICK Here TO LINK TO "OUR STORY." No, not the picture HERE! (Takes a while to load, and you may need to click a couple of times. We're sorry).