Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Sweetie Pie ... on the mends

Good morning, This is me. It’s Tuesday about 5:40. We’re just waking up. We got up once during the night … got some nice cold ice water, looked at the screen for a little bit, and then went back to bed. I don’t think I was very functional and the final thoughts were not to write on the paper because I didn’t want to mess it up.

We did go over to school and the professor had left us a nice comment. She said, “You made it! And ended with a scholarly flare.” That made me real happy.

I really have liked this one … I’d go as far to say she’s the favorite so far …
maybe both her and her husband. They don’t offer too much extra … but, in this school the small comments like the one above that give you some sense of something positive are nice. I think I’ve been behind since the start, but I’m appreciative that also some profs are nicer about it than others.

Not too much to say about yesterday. There were a few notes. I had gone in to work, but I did more school than work, I’m afraid. At lunch time there was a party. I really had thought that it was on Friday, but that was a nice surprise.

Sister had a wonderful meal that was catered … the chicken was perfect … maybe broiled, but was tender and juicy. Then there were some delicious twice baked potatoes, green beans, cole slaw, and buns. I think that was it … There was a little container with cookies for the staff so the dessert wasn’t that good, but the other part was very nice.

I was preoccupied at the time and then had come in late and had to sit with the volunteer and the other Q. This was one of the times I didn’t like her. She tries to make it seem like she’s bigger than I think she is. She had gone into talking about her and her mom and how the mom did stuff. The mother has been gone for like 5-6 years and is a constant conversation with her. I didn’t want to hear about it again, because the stories repeat and I don’t do much talking about people who are dead, especially not at dinner. It’s not very professional either to be at work and … I don’t know, I’m probably pretty heartless. Obviously this person misses her mother, but it wasn’t the place. Maybe in a one-on-one situation if I’d been in her office with her and had asked her how it was going. But at a crowded dining situation?

I think what makes the matter worse is that Sr.s volunteer lunch person was there too and usually I try to stay away from her too – old lady in her late 60’s. She likes to also talk about her problems. And, so between the two of them it was like … umm my dead person, and then the other person would talk about her dead person … they were playing the one up game. It was just a terrible place to be. All I could think about was going back to my office and getting back to work … as much as I
enjoyed the food – that was it. Maybe though I’m just in a complainy mood.

I know that that’s all I talk about … is me in my blog. But, here it is different.

I don’t expect that anyone is going to come by unless they really want to. There is no secret in that we talk about ourselves and how we are feeling and thinking, but it’s more of a private place. I’m really honored when someone comes by, but its pretty voluntary. You know what I’m capable for or not capable in with a dialogue that’s just me – so there is plenty of opportunity to leave. Just say … oh man she’s going on about that again … I can’t handle it … better things to do … out of here bye.

Shoot … really still feeling crabby about the above … I’m afraid its not going to get better. We had not such a good meeting with sweetie pie last night … the first couple of parts were fine, we ate, talked, lay down, somebody got a nice back rub, talked and then because he’d complained about his knee, we had made sure that got some good attention … but then … well things didn’t happen and then we got upset, mixed feelings and had to be put to bed. I think we had volunteered pretty much, but we couldn’t understand why, so that part got really confusing. I’m afraid that didn’t help his situation. Well, that’s probably an abundance of that conversation … I just need to leave a marker that it wasn’t such a good night.

Well, where do we go after that place.  I think I’d like to go back to the nice professor. But, figure I might want to figure out why we’re so heartless. Maybe it was like the other situation in that we were distracted. Maybe him too. I think too we had not talked about the day … didn’t even mention the party or school our big conversations of the day. There was one other in that the peer I’d not been talking too, except professionally, came in and needed to talk … not about our relationship, but about her personal stuff … we just listen and ask questions. It is exciting in that shes going back to school. We had encouraged that. So that was I think a good thing, but in all three situations between the two peers and our friend, I never felt like I had relaxed and talked. Mostly we just listen and ask questions. I like listening and love listening to our friend, especially when he is telling stories, but then after he was done things had been disappointing, I don’t know … he said something about sitting up and reciprocating the rubbing, but we had seen him looking at the clock and I knew that would mean 5 minutes and he’d be gone. I’m sure that had something to do with it. He had come over an hour late and wasn’t compensating the clock … it’s not that we have a schedule. I have the sense that he stays to 7-9 … He had said something of something he had to get done, but I don’t know back to those conversations about him just stopping by for a short time … none of it was making me any happier. We’d lost something in balance.

Gotta let this go, right?

Ahh … sweetie pie just called we wanted to apologize and had been making him a card and he was saying no and we were saying yes ... and well you know how that goes. Turns out he was probably affected in that he turned out with a full-bloom cold this morning … No wonder he wasn’t feeling up to snuff. *SIIIIIIIGH*

We sent him an “I’m sorry” card anyway … cuz just figure he’s being too nice. He’s like that. ;)