Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

A little nip and tuck at work, and we're putting her down for the night!

Good morning. We’re at work now. We’re not fooling around today. We would like to get started right away. We’ve got the music on and have started our blog entry. We would like to get something concrete down before the staffing at 10 am. It is going to be a Spanish speaking meeting. And, we’re going to have the Intern lead it. We got done with the short goals yesterday, but we’re going to have to go over it with the intern today. I don’t have time to be doing the long goals right now and still work on CARF.

Hmm, where are we going to go with that today. Yesterday, we completed a basic safety report, but the next step is to analyze it and I think we were going to melt it into another report, but have to figure that out. I’m worried more today about the report due for our performance analysis. We need to be collecting some information that isn’t going to take a long time, because we’re shooting for November 30th to have the report ready to submit with Sister’s end of the materials that go into CARF. She’s going to want to rush it going in before that. Best for me to get into it hard – so that I can be encouraging when she figures out I owe her this part. We’re going to need collecting our wits. I’m not sure where to go with it this moment. We had a plan, but the plan is going to take too long to pull together, so something of it has to be condensed. Or, I’m going to have to do what we were planning on a lot quicker. Damm … guess there’s not too many ways past it except to pull it out and give it a good evaluation. Where did we leave her? Better look.

Hmm, somehow we got to the middle/end of the day. Our friend had to cancel our meeting tonight. We were only going to meet for an hour, but it was before his big trip out East. He leaves tomorrow through Tuesday. He asked that we keep Tuesday night open. I think that can be arranged. To make up for the missed event, we had lunch together this afternoon. Just half sub sandwich. But, that was nice … it gave me a chance to ogle him a bit. That seems to be one of my favorite past times. *Sigh*

Ok, seriously now … We did the client lunches, had a grapefruit, did our lunch, worked through getting some summaries out for the clients, and we wrote a newsletter article. Sr. seemed to need that right away. Shoot, just got the request this morning. We wrote one on listening. Here … we’ll show you. It was pretty easy because most came from a meeting we had been at. If you have a minute try answering the questions. They are like good life meaning things to think about. K?

Listening

This fall’s staff appreciation day the staff had an in-service by Joanne Glass-Watson on communication. The first half of the session was on listening.

Ms Glass-Watson stated that listening means to “wait in suspense.” She said that people who listen carefully become more “emotionally mature, more open to their own experiences, less defensive, more democratic and less authoritative.”

There are three stages of listening: attending, following, and responding. Attending is paying close attention; being in touch. We need to consciously think without interrupting of expanding our awareness. Following is staying with the other’s presentation so that he or she may reveal his or her world. And, responding properly is to understand the gifts people share, which allows “the feeling we are with them” (Glass-Watson, 2006).

Ms Glass-Watson gave us a listening evaluation so that we could assess our skills. Please think of your important relationships and take a moment with these questions. If you can use a paper and pen and share/compare your experiences with someone close to you.

1) How much do I talk? Too much? Too little? 2) How frequently do I interrupt when others are speaking? 3) What does my body posture say to people? 4) What do my facial expressions say? 5) Am I conscious of what my face is saying? 6) Do I always have to have the last word? 7) How do I let others know what my needs are? 8) Am I dependent? Manipulative? Possessive? Controlling? Warm? Caring? 9) How do I act when I am angry? Jealous? Lonely? Insecure? Threatened? Happy? 10) Are my feelings and my behavior congruent? Does what I feel on the inside match or fit what I am saying? 11) Do I experience and live a real relationship between my Christian values and my Treatment of people?

Ok, back to the work of the day. Let me figure out the program hours. I want to see how long that takes me.

Hi! It’s about 5:38 now. And, we figure we are done working for the day. There were other things to do, but we figured out how to do the analysis reports again. It looks pretty good. The second client who is more difficult than the first balanced out to a 4.66% show of positive program affect per domain/month. I don’t remember how it all got figured out, but this one as an experiment fell in line with the last. The other person had gotten a 5.74% percent show of positive program affect per domain/month. The goal was to hit 5%, so the first person came .34 or 6.8% short. The second person came 14.8% over. And, respectively the first person ran 7.26 over budget and the second person ran 12.96% under budget. Woo HOOO! So far, the system works. We’re going to try it on at least 4 more clients, and then we are going to try it out on our peers first 6 clients. If this works, I might be a genius!! Need to rush through things to get it right!

Ok, ok … time to shut it down. We’ll bring the results home just in case we want to peek at them later, but for now definitely time for home AND that juicy apple in the car!