Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Sunday, September 17, 2006

YooHOOO Another Jacob DAY!!!!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Evening … this is just me … not sure how long we’ll be on, but it’s already almost 5 pm and we’re thinking it’s a poor time on a Sunday night to start doing homework from work. Not sure if I have anything else to do, but pet the kitties. Nope, nope not a care in the world.

*Silly grin* We just got back from visiting Jacob, finished our leftovers, and have ourselves a nice slushy. Now if it weren’t for the kitty that wants to knock that over things would be bout perfect. He’s trying to be not so obvious, but I know he’s feeling put out … is that a wrong thing to put out your kitty? Slushy is right where I want it though. HMPF! No, we don’t want a V-ruling on that either!

We had a very very nice time. Hehehe We ALWAYS have a very, very nice time with him. We are just soooooo happy to give him a big squishy hug. He’s just sooooooooo nice. Sometimes I can’t hardly believe such great luck in knowing him. In general we were a little fuzzy coming in … few wrong turns when the PDA thought we’d gone off-trail, but otherwise things were pretty smooth. He met me downstairs of his dorm right on time, and we went out to eat, and he played with the new camcorder a bit, and we went up to his room, took care some more talking and talking with his roommate, and we filled out a financial form. YAYYYYY Momstuff!

I think it took awhile, because we left here at 9:30 and now its 5:30. We got there at 11 and must have left around 3:45. So about 4-5 hours … shoot the time goes so gosh darn fast. I’m trying not to talk about everything the boys talk to me about, but there was one subject that stood out far and beyond the others … MORE than which courses he was taking, but he’s got some cool ones like sign language and psych lab! The big news was that he has a friend that did an internship with the State police over the summer and my son is now thinking he might be a State police for a while. Yes, he said he could use his psychology. He said everyone has to do a “turf” thing for a while, but after that he could specialize in special victims, or other areas that my Mom mind wasn’t ready to grasp yet. I think he said something with criminals. *Sigh*

I look at my son and I think … hmm ok … that makes sense too. He says he’d go through a 6 month boot camp and that there’s something coming up in like a week where state troopers will be on campus recruiting and he says that they’ll work something out so the students get a chance to ride with a police unit. He’s says he can do more planning after that. Hmm, like ok … probably should say something mom-like here. “Are you sure?” Thought that was good. He seems pretty sure about it already. I think I’m the last to know … It’s been talked about with his brothers, his friends, his father, and his Grandmother. Suppose I was going to find out sooner or later. I asked, “Will I get in trouble for not wearing my seat belt? Will you bust me?” He said, “Mom, you need to wear the seatbelt.” I thought well that might not be so much a good thing if I am going to get busted by my own son! I don’t know … he’s still thinking about being a teacher too. I think he wants though more experience with something before he starts teaching. If he did something with the troopers, he would know he would be living at boot camp for the next six months. Jacob is the kind of guy who could do something like that and if there was a way possible of perfecting him more, he would take up the good of what was being presented upon him. I think he also liked that it was a solid plan and he liked being one of the guys and meeting other interesting people. He seemed very excited to hear the stories his friend had told him. Jacobs been a good guy forever ... and now that we're thinking about it ... we think of all the good guy bad guy material he has been going over with his computer games and dungeon and dragon and all that sort of thing. He's taken positions on both sides of the law, but most likely the strategy has been formulated for quite a while of bad and good morality. The last thing he said to us before we got in the car was to say, "Don't worry Mom, I will wear my armour." It's like my baby could be stepping into a very real world where knights ride fast cars, the guns are real, and lifes lessons are hard fought.

I don’t know there is so much to think about my mind’s not really registering it. There’s a couple of other things happening too. It’s about 6:40 pm now. Our Sweetie Pie has called and then after that we talked to our Grandmother. We were telling her about Jacob and then she talked about my cousin’s husband. He’s our age, but he put in paper’s a year ahead of time that he is going to retire next year. He’s a general in the Air Force and spent most of his time teaching fighter pilots how to do their thing. She says they are getting some kind of motor home and moving to a lake in Wisconsin. I felt a little like … maybe it wasn’t very big news that your son is going to be a state trooper maybe after all that, but we thought it was pretty big news just the same. I don’t know I kinda forgot sometimes my Grandmother can do stuff like that … kinda hurt some. But, I guess she doesn’t really know my kids. Hmm, thinking about it … I think she did meet them a couple times? I’m not sure. It would have been a very long time ago like when Jacob was under a couple of years old. That’s about the same with our mother. Then I think my mother saw them again once when they were about 10-14 years old, then that is about it. They are now 22-25 years old. I’m not like the kinda Mom that ever did much real sharing with our kids. I didn’t trust them. I still don’t trust my mother … don’t want her to know my kids … and even now I don’t like getting into with my Grandmother the comparison stuff.

It’s just that I just got back from Jacobs and I was pretty excited about it. It’s a pretty big deal when your son changes course this drastically. I was a little disappointed in our friend too because we told him, but he didn’t say too much about it before changing the subject. He said something about his son having wanted to do something like that once. But, then he went on to talk about something else, so after a while we said, well I guess we’re done talking about our son becoming a law enforcement officer and he said well you didn’t say too much. But, we were like … well, it’s hit us as a pretty big shock of sorts. We don’t know how to talk about it yet. So, then we figure we might as well let him change subjects, because we had hoped to think through it with him, but he’s had a pretty long weekend.

Our friend took third place in the fishing this week, so I think he was disappointed in that. We did talk about a few things on his trip, like he said they played cards in the middle of the parking lot with somebody holding a flashlight … I thought that was kinda funny. They must have been having a good time … Think that’s the kind of thing our son is looking at … he’s been hanging out with friends at college for quite a while now … and he’s planning how to do that next. Our friend said nobody fell in the water and they ate, but he didn’t say much about that. He said that the fishing was poor for everyone and that his partner didn’t know so much about fishing, but he was a real nice guy. I think the guy he was partnered with is the “Young one” of the group, which might mean he’s like late 20’s early 30’s, BUT the guy has a boat … so they let him in. I think this is the one that has a tendency to talk too much Heheheh…

Bout the time I got done being a little pouty with our friend, because he didn’t want to talk more about our son, he was getting close to home and hitting that reality like tomorrow morning he has to go to work, which means getting the car cleaned out, clothes washed, socks folded and whatever else might come up at his home. I don’t envy him, because while getting home is a good deal after a long weekend there is definitely some drudgery work involved. We stopped by on the way home (15 minutes to spare) and got our clean clothes from the cleaner … PSHWOO … that’s the deal! We had too much to get everything up the stairs though. We left the stuff on hangers down stairs and brought up the folded stuff. We’ll hope that our friend can help with the other if he’s coming over in the next day or two.

Cool, cool … do you know what? Jacob's friend and roommate, let me have his IM name, so we dropped him a little note and he responded just a sentence or two. We gave him one more … we let him know he could call us Ayn. He’s such a nice guy. But, then again we’ve liked almost all the kids our friends have brought home. We accidentally walked into the roommates side of the rooms first, before being told by our son, we’d gotten the wrong room. Hardly enough time to register whether they both keep their dirty clothes under the desks, because they’d picked up! Hehehe Jacob says he made the bed for us and that’s a pretty major concession.

At the end of the phone call with our Grandma, we told her in the next day or two we were going to try mailing her a package that’s now up to the point of sitting in our car’s back seat. It’s taped up and has the address and everything. We told her about sending the tape recorder and tapes and asking her to record some of the stuff she thinks about at odd times of the day. It seems like she’s going to give it a try. Of course, she’s a Grandma so said, I shouldn’t have and all that, but this is the kind of cool thing you SHOULD be able to do with your Grandma. I’m wondering know if we should ask her some general questions, or whether she might be able to ad lib from wherever her mind takes her. She seemed to be concerned that she might seem all over the place, but we pretty much explained that was the neat part and that we hoped she might. I like the sense of thoughts wondering from one abstract thing to the next. We took the next step too. We checked the post office here in town and it seems that during the week it is open until 6 pm. So, tomorrow I think we have to come home on time to get over there. It’s always hard to park at city post offices and they close earlier.

There was one more thing with Jacob too. We seemed to be thinking about it kind of at an unconscious level on the way out to his place, but we knew for certain after we got out there. We gave him to use for the next semester our new camcorder. It just occurred to us to be the right thing to do. Early on during the conversation, and in our thoughts on the way out, we were worrying about how Jacob was making this transition where he wouldn’t be at school after this semester. I can’t pin it down in our minds when or exactly how it happened … I knew that I wanted right off the top for him to record some pictures of the campus, because we knew he wasn’t going to have it much longer and in our heart I know what it is like to leave the place you’ve come to love. I maybe have in existence 3 or 4 pictures representing my whole time at school working on my BA. Jacob is at that point now … where he is making some of the most important memories of his young adulthood and some of these memories are going to carry him the rest of his life.

I told him that it was still our camera, but we brought it out to show him and as any proud Mom might expect, he wrapped the strap around his hand and I knew the instant I saw him take his first pictures of the geese in a pond we were passing that it was the thing to do. He had started the camera and took a picture of the ride home from the restaurant all the way to his dorm. Yup, yup … like a duck takes to water. And, truth be told although I very much want pictures to animate my blog, it was much more important for him to be taking pictures for him. I could imagine him taking pictures of cool places and his friends and having fun going to football games and stuff … Just wanted him to have a good time with it. The camera didn’t have a real purpose before, but it has a real purpose now. I’ve been worried that because of our inability to get around that we could get out enough to catch some part of the world. So much of the world is here at the computer. I want to use the camcorder to inspire me out the door. But, to see it in Jacobs hand. It seemed like such an awesome blend of mind and machine … *Sigh* This in truth is what we thought of most the ride home. Pretty much Jacob documenting his world. I was even happier on the way out to learn that he’d already made the mental transition to knowing that he would record the videos to computer, and then over to CDs. I’ve never stopped for a moment being proud of this kid. We think, “Good Boy!!!” We’ve always thought … God works in mysterious ways … we’re thinking … just maybe? He did that again today.