Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Still struggling to make my educational challenges

Dear Student #3

Thank you for reading my post. The sample size was quite remarkable. I believe the importance of the study was to look at self-concept in comparison of the students to their peers. So it would appear that because the students from the private Universities were looking at their peers as a form of "higher ability and status" that they were more likely to not rank themselves as able. That same student in a public setting would most likely credit himself higher on self-concept because the competition might not seem as challenging. I can understand your reservation in associating the results to higher education and in particular comparison of an Ivy League University to Capella, or other Universities of its stature. I'm not sure if the results could be generalized to this degree, because at 15 years of age, there is bound to be much more significance weighted toward identity formation and social comparison.

However, I would tend to think the same results might apply. I have some comfort, for example, that the level of acceptance to Capella was around 2.83 GPA. I could make that mark, however, I could not have gained entrance to the University of Illinois and that is a State University. The standard there was to have maintained a 3.4 GPA. It is easy to imagine that the standards at the Ivy League Universities are that much more exacting. I find myself more comfortable with my own ability at the lower level. I think the level is very satisfactory to my abilities, but I would have questioned myself if accepted at the higher level university in being able to "keep up" to the higher standards of its students. It would seem difficult even if I were smarter to be able to keep up with other students who were the nation's brightest or most able students.

This again, does not disqualify Capella as an excellent university "of its kind," but to meet Harvard's standards, students need to have distinguished undergraduate records and of the applicant pool they receive, only 11% of the students are accepted for a class size of 700 (Harvard, 2006) You also need to take a GRE test, some programs require language, "quantitative expertise," and all require letters of recommendation, resume or curriculum vitae, and if available papers or manuscripts (2006). At Capella I need to take care of my GPA at a 3.0 level, but I do not need to "beat out" other students to gain or maintain my place. Everyone at Capella can stay as long as they maintain their GPA, which is less than the more advanced schools.

Reference

Harvard University, (2006). Harvard University admissions and financial aid. Retrieved July 19, 2006, from http://www.harvard.edu/admissions/#grad