Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Up at CS the first time ... a little late!

Good afternoon this is me. It’s almost 4 pm on Saturday and we’ll probably be leaving in an hour or two to go out to dinner. I’ve offered to pay for this one.

I’ll be meeting Nathan’s fiancée so we’re real excited about that. Connie Sue is lying down again – which is about her third attempt to do so. She does a little and then she has to recuperate. Mark is working for a few hours over at the church. It seems then like everyone here is happy.

You know me … now days before I can do much writing I have to play with the pirates and respond to Facebook and emails. I’m not saying that my interaction is critical in any of this, but its part of our newer routine to calm down.

I don’t remember all the conversations that have been had since I’ve been here. I’m on my second 24 hours at Connie Sue’s and Mark’s. They have a very beautiful house. I hope they are able to keep it. In this economy everyone worries – especially if things are in transition.

They have two very beautiful dogs - Macy and Curly. Needless to say Curly is the guy dog and about the size of a well let’s just say he’s on the wide side. It’s an encumbrance to him and I can see like him wanting to jump up on a chair, but he can’t get the back part to cooperate with him. They are both kissy face dogs and they get along very well with each other. Macy does a little more guard dogging and Curly does a little more with the games. I think between the two I’d go with Macy for the chewing, but Curly has a really nice soft mouth.

It seems like every time I see the dogs or more likely when they see me, they come out and I get licked and need to pet all over again. I can see my kitties laying at home thinking HMPF! She’s sure as hell not petting me! They have a kitty here too by the name of Noel. It’s a really pretty cat, but it usually hangs out in the background. Most the time I forget that it’s there. I think Macy might chase it a bit so they’re a little tense, but you wouldn’t read it on her face – she’s as cool as a cucumber.

I’ve had the nicest conversations and for the most part if people aren’t sleeping and working they are talking. Both were home when I got here yesterday right at 12:30 pm as scheduled. Mark had to go out to work, I think and the he might have been home, but had to go out? I’m thinking, but I’m not really sure cuz I don’t really remember. I know that at some point I think he went out and got Nathan cigs ohhhh and he went to the grocery store, and then LATER he went out to work.

Nathan had come over, but he didn’t say too much to me. He was looking at CS computer as they were looking at some tool boxes. He had come from work so he was pretty dirty. He does work at a oil change place and he does work painting details on trailers and such. He seems to be pretty busy.

We’re going to need keeping it a secret, but I don’t think Mark is going to read this blog before we go out. But, he’s going to get a big surprise tonight. Nathan and Connie Sue bought and Nate fixed up a truck for his father and that truck is going to be given to him tonight. I guess that it started at only $300, but good work has gone into it and though it started as a rust bucket that’s all been fixed and made beautiful. Nate’s been working full time for quite some weeks. And, it’s been hard to keep things secret from Mark.

I think the secret has something to do with an anniversary gift between him and CS. Nate’s the only child, so when something this big comes up he’s pretty involved too. I’m thinking we are supposed to leave at 5:30 pm. We are going to see Nate’s shop and the surprise first and then I’m taking everyone out for dinner. I’m hoping they don’t go somewhere TOO expensive. I should look to see how much money we’ve got.

Hmm, I think I got about 10-15 in the car, but I think I got about $175. I’m not sure why that amount. Oh wait I know. I gave CS $10 for lunch/vitamins she picked up, and then I did dinner last night, and then I gave her money toward Thom’s gifts to be mailed off. Hmm, we were going to do that today, but it got forgotten. We’ll have to do it a bit later. I guess the money then is pretty much accounted for.

The money got prepaid on Thom’s mailing, because she said she could do it from here and I had known she wanted to give Nate some for gas. I think it worked out ok.

For lunch we had Arbies with Mark and I think food was brought over for Nate too. And last night it was just CS and us and like we said tonight here will be 5 of us.

I guess I could look at it as I should be ok if everyone keeps under $25 … I’m pretty sure I could get almost back on the same tank of gas, but I should have extra for that and I think I’m taking people out to lunch tomorrow too.

Money’s hard to come by all around, but I think I’m in better shape than they are and I feel a bit compelled to pay where I can.

I don’t want to go into all the conversations that we’ve been having, but in general they seem to be around the board. I will say one thing – CS has a sewing studio that’s really, really cool. It’s in one of the front bedrooms with the nice big oval window that lets in a lot of light. And then after that every square inch has something to do with mostly quilts, but a little with her love of making cards and such. The big thing though is the sewing.

We saw pictures and now some of the real quilts. They are beautiful. She has a lot of extra material and pieces in one state or another. Some of the kits she gets are in already cut or partially cut pieces. She has really good taste in fabric. She had worked when younger at a JoAnne fabric so she knew a lot about what she was looking for and how to use it. She’s got my mother and especially grandmothers touch for doing it. It’s really a pleasure to see her work and her excitement.

We went through every corner of her room and she explained a lot of things. It’s like taking a history tour. I’ll take other pictures later of her place if she gives me permission. She hasn’t been excited yet about me taking pictures, but I’m pretty sure I’m taking my camera to the events tonight. I’d like to get pictures of Mark being surprised. I’m pretty sure I’ll be the only one with a camera there, but it really needs to be shot.

I’m very excited for them and I’m glad I got in on the deal. I’m a little behind here in that things are getting planned around me and I don’t always know what’s going on, but that’s pretty much my style anyway. I’m very glad that I came. I was also though glad when everyone had to finally do something else so I got some quiet time to sit and write. I’m experiencing so many new things and I’m not getting a proper chance to think it all out.

Last night it was strange in that at some point relatively late, CS went into her room and my bed had been made on the couch, but then Mark came in and even though I’d drifted off to sleep with the TV on, I became alert. And then Mark and I talked for quite a while, and then after a while I used the washroom and then CS was up and then we were all hitting the fridge hehehe.

It had worked out well that they liked both the fudgsicles and the caramel puddings. I don’t think anyone’s tried the peanut butter tortillas, but maybe they will get to that too.

One way or another we stayed up as late as we could. I’m guessing it was after 12-1, but I wasn’t looking at a clock. Hmm, Mark seems to be here … Yup garage door and dog and everyone is happy again. These dogs are moving slower now than they had.

Whoops better change pages. Ok, we’re back. We’re not making too much progress.

I seem to be keep going back mentally to that space we were in last night. I don’t really recognize the parts that were out – it was a smiley part and happy, but we were in our sleep too – just our eyes were open. We were pretty exhausted, but it seemed like people really wanted to talk.

I’m not doing nearly as much talking as listening and asking questions as I had thought, but it’s like when I’m with the boys or Rich – I feel I don’t have a whole lot of interesting things to add. Most the stuff that’s in a person’s heads are old stories of some form of accomplishment or defeat or another. None of the things really need to be gone over again. Maybe there’s a discrepancy considering all I do is write and the thoughts become old in front of my eyes, but when I write it is an active thought happening in my brain immediately. I test it out, toss it around, consider it, and then let it go to be picking up the next thought and the next.

It’s the process of having the thoughts that seems to be more important than the actual thought itself. Like it’s important TO THINK!

I’m at my element with people around, but not always directly like with the TV.

Just as long as the computer is parked across from me I’m really thinking that life is good. I’m a little more conscientious of how slow my typing has gotten, but I think that in general my mind and fingers have made due with each other so that they are working coordinately.

Ok, there we took a break for a moment. I brushed my hair and used the washroom so I figured I’m about as ready as I can be. I put my money over with my camera bag and I’m going to need remembering to grab the keys. I’m pretty sure that we’ll take my car. I haven’t seen Mark’s car, but CS has explained before that it was small.

I feel comfortable with the neatness in my car to have company and most likely then I’ll just ask Mark if he can drive, I’ll give CS the front and I’ll sit in the back - Yah that’s more like my station in life.

CS last round while we were all here since Mark got back was talking about the blankets. She is offering to give me one. I know that I should take one and I really want one, but I have some kind of problem with someone doing something that nice for me. I’m one of those Mom’s remember that don’t get birthday or Christmas gifts from my kids. *Sigh* I have a favorite between the two here she is offering.

The one I want isn’t finished and I don’t know what the two look like that are being sent out for finishing. I’m pretty sure that it can’t get much better because the one that is here is really nice. It is a simple rectangular design, but it’s my colors with deep reds, greens, tans and browns.

I’d have to think about what I’d do with it. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t put it on Rich’s bed. He has his favorite blanket and that’s what happened to the other quilt … he did something with it and now neither knows where it is. The thing is that I only got so many walls big enough for something like this. It’s pretty enough that it should go on a wall. I’m just not sure where … It demands a major spot. In the living room we have the map and that isn’t coming down.