Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hmm. Let's not go to work ... maybe tomorrow

Good morning. This is finally me. We’ve been wondering around for about an hour and a half. It is now 5 am and I think that Rich is going to come in for a few moments before he leaves. At least I hope so. He’s been up for a half hour and he’s taken his shower and it sounds like he’s getting his coffee.

I had a hard time not appreciating the brand new TV. So, we’ve got news on in the background. We’ve discovered what it means to have HD TV. Wow! It’s GREAT! I guess we’ve been in the old times for so long that we didn’t have any idea how nice it could be.

We’re pretty distracted though this morning. I think it’s a big new deal to have the TV and to have it turned on to news in the morning, but I think it’s going to be lousy for our writing if we can’t control it a bit. It’s hard to explain how I want to hear TV in the background, but want to in the foreground be writing.

Hmm, I’m back. I haven’t made much progress this morning. It is about 10 am and I am still at home. I’ve been busy most of the time though. Rich had been here long ago. He left about 5:15 am. I was up for a little bit, but I found myself in general curling up on the living room couch and squishing my dog until we both fell asleep. It wasn’t very long … as to stuffed dogs go to sleep quickly. We woke up around 6:30 am when Maury called to say he was coming over and would drop off Thom’s bills. That got us going in about that direction. I think we did something … I’m not sure … we have the TV on still, but we haven’t been directly watching it for quite a while. Oh oh … I forgot to take my medicine. That’s probably a bad thing.

Better BRB

Ok, that’s done. I have to convince myself that we really want to be up … if I were doing anything it would be a desire to be typing. We are on hold now from COMCAST … this fits our general trend of working through issues. I have to bring my car into the shop, pay my ticket, get my new vehicle sticker and check on my cable system.

We’re going to update the service so that we get Rich’s fishy channel. I doubt very much they can get anyone out today though … It sure would be nice. We’ve been on hold now for 17 minutes. I guess Monday morning is a terrible time to call. They don’t even give you music anymore … they say your phone will have no sound. I love not getting piped music, but I think this is probably a means of making people wait that much longer in that the waiting goes on and on without note to anyone.

The car and ticket and license are all self-explanatory. They were things that had to be done from a home day. The other thing that we did was to work on Thom’s bills. We did pretty good. We still have to get called back from the car insurance people, because they are working up a new plan. Then we have to let them call the car loan place, because it is required for that situation to have insurance. We paid one credit card bill – the amount I figured, which I hope is ok, but figured needed a good size payment so we could take down a $3500 cost. We couldn’t get the Mustang total due, but I’m thinking that it’s just one payment, so we made that and we made the payment on Joe’s car. He has a few hundred from one special funding account … so just had to monitor that. We checked and got an additional 6 month deferment on his school loan. They wouldn’t change addresses, but they said they’d send through the paperwork. It looks like he has a balance in his checking account, but we’re getting that’s a bit lower, because he’s paid me money to cover his accounts. We also had to look into his car insurance, because it appears that it had lapsed back in April. Maybe he had cut it off, but according to his car loan, he can’t do that.

So, that’s pretty much it of that. We still need to check on our car, and take care of the ticket and vehicle sticker. The long part was an hour and a half updating our cable service. And, just about as we figured about the time that was done … Rich called. He didn’t know I was home, but sorta accepted that yes I had things to do, but he wasn’t happy. Then I had to tell him about the cable bill. It’s going to be about $172. Pretty much then what’s happening is that we’re getting the Standard cable preferred account, which gives us about 80 cable channels and HBO.

She said that we could get one movie channel with the deal. I didn’t think we needed a movie channel, because we have the service with Netflix, but it was part of the deal. Rich tried to convince me that the HBO was different, but I was sure what I had heard. He says they try to oversell you. I didn’t have a good sales person, but she was sufficient … I can’t vouch for the above, but I still think I only got what we needed.

But, the cost for that was $85. That seems to be the cost we’d thought it was. We also got DVR service for $10. I guess that includes getting the box. The Internet service was $43, but it went up to $70 when I went from 6 megs speed to 16 megs. We told them we didn’t see a noticeable change so she said she would put on our work ticket that we needed it checked, otherwise we’ll cancel the $27.00. The other part of the deal was that the service guy is going to connect the cable to the TV in both rooms. We didn’t get an extra box, but it seemed that it wasn’t going to be an extra charge. With the cable connected, we don’t have to worry about the government changes to TV in February, they will both continue to work and they will both have the channels that are on the front TV. Rich gave me static there too, but it seems that while the guy is out here, he should do the whole deal. I reminded Rich that he said that we’re making the back room into an exercise room. Then he hem-hawed saying, but not right now … that will come further down the line. But, now I’m sold on the idea and I’m looking forward to it. If we don’t get the old TV’s connected, they will be no good, but REALLY good enough they shouldn’t be thrown away because they are taking up space.

The deal as I figured it is that I’m going to be paying $85 and Rich is going to be paying $85. He says basically than I’m just paying for Internet. We’d like to say that we’re at least paying for Internet and the DVR. He’s then paying for the cable service. I’ve been paying cable and electric for the last 15 months, so I didn’t think his $85 was a big deal. He said he wanted the extra channels so he could get the fishing channel. He is now saying that since he’s paying for the cable TV that he should be the one that makes the choices. We didn’t beg the point, but basically, I still feel that it’s up to me to make some decisions, because if we waited for him, things would not happen. And, you know what I am like as to waiting around for stuff to happen.

I don’t think I paid for much more than was required.

Hmm, I took care of that. I’m back from being out. I did the vehicle sticker and the ticket. Then I drove to the driver’s license place to update my driver’s license, then I found it was closed so, I looked at my driver’s license and figured out that the front looks expired, but that they had given me an extra sticker to put on the back that makes it good for four more years. WOOHOO!!! I had been worried, because I didn’t know if I was going to be renting a car where they would need a valid license. I know that I had had to use it a day or so ago, and they wouldn’t take it because it had an old date. Now, I realize I just have to add 4 years onto the date already there.

Then I went to the car body shop. They say that it is going to cost $721. YEEKS!

They gave me a date something like August 13th, to bring it in. It is going to need being in for 3 days, and at THAT time I will need a rental car. He said I didn’t have to pay the $500 deductible until the time I pick it up. That was good because I don’t have it. Now that my insurance company has a cost, they will go after Geico the other guy’s insurance company to pay the claim – both the deposit and their part. I don’t know if they charge extra for the bother they are causing all of us.