Visit www.MarineParents.com, a Place to Connect & Share (tm)

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Processing Creatively a Day



Hmm, ok … you all followed me! We’ve gone from one entry to the next; however, this has eaten up another hour. Don’t ask me where we’ve been, I wouldn’t be able to tell you. I just don’t know what happens to our time, especially if we are not watching. So, we’ll label that “losing time” and get on with it. Chances are most likely we’ve been gone and never left our chair. 

Ok, of all the plans of mice and men … We were going to get our textbook. That hasn’t been done yet … wait a sec. Pshwoo … done. Difficulty level about a six. Ten being the hardest. We need to calm down again. I sure wish I knew or understood all of whom inside I seem to be putting out by taking this much control and direction back. Maybe we’ll find someone to talk about this to later. K? Our eyebrows are now all scrunched up and our face is wearing eyes that look wide in a brand of terror. Ok, shhhh. Calm down, this doesn’t have to be a big deal. We’ll take it slow. Hey someone left a Carmel apple! Good thinking! I see we are out of coffee though. That will never do. And, it seems a little chilly in here, we’ll have to tuck around us our lap blanket as soon as the coffee is got. Hold on. Ok, that’s better … Still the wild eyes, but the coffee has been started. Mark the time … it is now 10:15 am. We’re going to do this.

Ok, what’s next. Well, it seems like someone might want to get the book out of the bag and open it? Hmm. That be me then? Drat! Ok, ok … done. Deep breath, hold, let it out slowwwwly. “Nother bite of apple? K. Thanks. Shoot, does anyone know which chapter we’re on? Maybe we have to open that document where we wrote the assignment. Maybe it would say. K. Lotsa windows open though. That could be confusing. Oh, how about that it was already opened!

u07d2 Problem Solving
Part I: Develop an example of a problem situation that can be used to illustrate the problem-solving cycle. State the application of the cycle to the situation for each of the cycle's steps. Explain what would be the advantages and disadvantages of becoming an expert problem-solver for the problem you addressed.
Part II: Compare and contrast Davidson and Sternberg's three kinds of insights, being sure to address the strengths and weaknesses of each. How might incubation help in insightful problem solving?
________________________________________
u07d3 Creativity
Thoroughly compare and contrast the various approaches to creativity. Based upon current research and theory on creativity, what advice would you give to a friend who would like to be more creative in his or her work? Is a highly creative person more susceptible than others are to personal emotional challenges? If so, explain.

Ok, that’s the stuff. We only have now two windows open That will help. For some reason AOL turned itself off … what an idea! However, AOL Explorer is functioning. Hmm, maybe we should turn on music? That sometimes relaxes us. Hmm, Ella Fitzgerald too much. Maybe back to David Lanz’ piano music.

OK. V. is BACK! He says no obsessing. I think we’re obsessing. My screens have to look just so. I placed the little music box on top the screen, cuz somebody saying I want to see the words. It is a favorite, “Variations On A Them From Pachelbel’s Canon In D Major.” Maybe this is our best obsessing music. Close your eyes, breath, relax the face’s muscles. No tears! See it’s all good. Life is good. But, saying this quietly now. We’re going to need opening the book. That’s right we were going to figure out what chapter. Ok, go back and look for it … baby step. Ok, problem solving and creativity. We can do this. We’re good here. *breath*

See the familiar markings … we’ve been here before  Ok, now one more tiny step. We’re going to look at the first question, k? Just a little step. Hmm, “Develop an example of a problem situation that can be used to illustrate the problem-solving cycle.” Wow! That’s not so bad so far. We are in the middle of a problem right now! Let’s define that … The problem is remembering how to be a student and write papers again. Ok, that works for me. Next sentence.

“State the application of the cycle to the situation for each of the cycle's steps.” Whoops sentence doesn’t make sense. Hmm, I think what it is asking is for me to use the model of a cycle on the third page of the text. So, I am to match up my problem with the steps. Ok, shouldn’t be too bad. We opened a separate word window for the hand-in assignment.

1. Problem identification
2. Definition of problem
3. Constructing a strategy for problem solving
4. Organizing information about a problem
5. Allocation of resources
6. Monitoring problem solving
7. Evaluating problem solving

Me again. I am trying not to panic. I finished part A which was these three steps and two more questions. I went to Part B and lost a lot of time. The question asks about three different kinds of insight, but the book read:

According to the view proposed by Janet Davidson and me, insights are of three kinds, involving three different processes: selective encoding, selective comparison, and selective combination. Further along they only describe the three processes not the three kinds of insight. Then while I am still questioning this question, I read: … We agree with the nothing-special theorists to some extent, in that the three processes that we suggest as underlying the three kinds of insights also can … blah, blah. This would seem to really imply two things. There are 3 kinds of insight, and there are three processes. My logic then said, ok … although they describe the processes and imply through the question knowing the kinds of insight. I had better look elsewhere. I thought simply at first, I would check out the web. I found a lot of the work of the author and his homesite talking about three intelligences, or three kinds of love, but nothing on three kinds of insight. Though, I did figure this was a guy who liked to make lists. So then, I thought, silly. Go to the on-line library at school. But, after doing a thorough study there, I found I still did not come up with three kinds of insight.  I was feeling pretty rejected, although I’d just come off a high from the last question. So, I thought, maybe if I checked into the course room, I would figure it out. I saw the flag for new announcements so I thought better stop in. The prof had written a statement saying all the midterm grades were out, with the exception of 5 students he could not get a hold of … I was neither given a midterm grade, nor was I on the list of 5 students. Don’t panic, don’t panic I thought. So, I tried to email the guy, however, again my regular aol is down and AOL explorer kicks my attempts to mail out of the water. Closes down my one thin thread of reality in connecting to the Internet. SO, after beating my head against the wall in frustration, I figured just go look and see what the other students had done. As I might have guessed his one favored student was the first to hand in an assignment. Gee, golly, whiz. Disregarding his and other students fluttering around her, although I am adamantly sure, she copies straight from her resources. … Anyway, I find that what she has explained and gotten excellent reviews on was in monkeying around with three processes not kinds of insight. I checked this with a few others and thought …oh F*** IT. We’re pretty sure V must be responsible for verbal exclamation. D*** stop that! You know better!

So, we revert to our V frame of mind finding him not on-line. V would say just get something in. Don’t obsess with this. We’re pretty sure at least he would head this direction. So, to summarize the point, I am going to keep running along at break-neck speed, and figure out something prophetic, but within 20 minutes of prophetic. We’re thinking V still thinks were one of the good guys, so he would also say screw Ms. Perfect and her admirers … you don’t need to go there. To which I would say I have to agree. My only task at the moment is to work through as many papers as possible until I can call the prof on Monday, to find out if I’m even enrolled in the course. Though, If I weren’t, I sure as hell would think someone considerate enough to tell me. Screw the concern! F*** losing it here. NOOOO, not losing it. Answer the next question, that is all, answer the question. Ok, ok … I’m going. What is the question?

What are the strengths and weaknesses of three somethings and how does incubation help?

We’re back again. It is now about a quarter after 7. We are having computer problems. AOL keeps bugging out on us and even the Adaware program froze up. So I am now using the disk cleanup utility to clean up unnecessary files, then next I will defrag her … that stuff scares me to bits, because it means I could not be able to use my computer for quite some hours. But, it will be for the better, right? Something has to change, because my poor computer isn’t feeling well.  That makes me very unhappy.

The good news is that I finished the first paper. I still wasn’t able to go fast enough. I am looking now at the next paper. It is about creativity. I think I am usually considered creative, but I’m not giving myself much credit at this point. After trying to problem-solve computer problems concerning signing on or running programs that don’t freeze up, I think that anyone could be a little cranky. Just in case though, we figured we should eat dinner and take our medicine. I’m a little iffy right now as to going forward with papers, hence coffee, or calling it a night and starting earlier. What is winning me over one direction over the other is that The Disk Cleanup utility is only about a 1/3 complete. Though on the other side, my time to go to bed kitty is pacing back and forth between me and the screen.

Wow! That was something. She leaned over and curled into my arms and tucked herself under my chin for 15 entire minutes!  Good kitty. I just held and petted. It was very nice, and in the meantime my disk cleaner-upper finished. I took my time and thought some through it. I am going to take the greater good. Defrag the computer. I am hoping that will get rid of some of whatever sickly she has in her. One more smoke, I’ll post, then start her up. I haven’t done this for a long time, but I’m pretty sure, I can’t use her while she’s working. I might, however, be proved wrong. I am thinking also, better to get myself to bed while worn, and wake up early and refreshed. Dr. M. says first thing is that we need to take care of ourselves. So that will be that! Thanks for sticking it out with me. We are going to take the route of posting the paper too. I am pretty sure, I don’t want to post-it in the old journal and I am not up to a new journal. Hang-in there, K?